Soarin' and The Land changes - what is your opinion?

Are you impressed with the changes made to The Land?

• Yes, I think the addition of Soarin' and changes to the Land are a good thing

Votes: 197 78.8%
  • No, I would prefer to have left the Land unchanged

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I agree with the addition of Soarin', but I do not like the changes to the rest of The Land

Votes: 35 14.0%

• Total voters

dxwwf3

I definately prefer the 94 rehab to the original look. But I think that the original does look nice for it's time.

CTXRover

^^Thanks. Its pretty cool to see what the original vision for the pavilion was. From the looks of it, the entire second floor (and most of the pavilion for that matter) was painted white/a light tan, much like the new version (minus the cool modern take on it, such as the green tree trunks for contrast on the columns) And this was the original vision for the Land...interesting

Pretty dated though, huh?

Shaman

speck76 said:
Someone had asked for pictures of the original Land pavilion

These are some old scans

I like the murals on the ceiling...I think they should have that in the new one...it looks nice...don't think I ever saw those...

CTXRover

The mural does look kind of neat. I don't remember it ever looking like that. Some updated, modern looking version would have been neat for the new design. I kind of like the banner look personally though.

speck76

CTXRover said:
The mural does look kind of neat. I don't remember it ever looking like that. Some updated, modern looking version would have been neat for the new design. I kind of like the banner look personally though.

The banners serve two purposes.

1 -design

2- noise reduction

Before the banners were up (and when they were removed this last fall) the pavilion was much noiser....fabric helps reduce the echos.

I prefer the yellow banners over all 3 designs.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
Before the banners were up (and when they were removed this last fall) the pavilion was much noiser....fabric helps reduce the echos.

Very interesting.

I still like the 94 banners the best personally. I've got no problem with the yellow though.

MicBat

Here are a few pictures taken a day or two before it closed for refurb...

Land1.jpg

Land2.jpg

Land3.jpg

Shaman

speck76 said:
The banners serve two purposes.

1 -design

2- noise reduction

I prefer the yellow banners over all 3 designs.

The right mural design can work well with the current banners...to add a little something to the pavilion...its looks great as it is...Its just that I never knew THe Land pavilion had those before...

Gregory

nicholas said:
To the webmasters and admins at d-troops:

Hi!

I registerd on your site waaaaaay back before it even opened to the general public. I thought it would be great to be a part of a group of people interesting in making WDW the best it could be, in all aspects.

I now see, though, that this group is not something I want to be a part of, or have any ties to. So, I am requesting that you delete my account. Ban me. Just do something to make sure my name does not appear as a member of this army.

Oh, and a smilie was named after me. You can get rid of that too.

Thanks! :wave:
Hmm.. You disagree with our opinions on one thing, so you want to be removed from the site 100%?

I think you're overreacting. Sure, the D-Troops (ie Grizz, me, and maybe a few others) feel strongly about this. We believe that while we love the design (and Soarin'), the design just doesn't fit. We have the site so that you can read our opinions- we are not here to force our opinions on you.

In fact, we want you to have your own opinions. I find it ironic how everyone loves to complain, but nobody has written to D-Troops with your own articles (D-Troops has recieved only 3 e-mails on the subject, but has been bashed numerous times on WDWMagic). We will publish anything we get e-mailed (especially if you ask to have it published). If you e-mail us saying that you want Tower of Terror to be shut down and turned into a meet and greet, we'll publish it. We may comment about why we are against it, but we will present both sides.

That is what we are planning on doing within the next week... An article praising Soarin, and another one presenting the other side of the Land argument (the people who like it) We posted an unbiased tour on Friday. Then, Grizz posted an opinion article early this week. So, of course it was biased. Its an OPINION article!

At D-Troops, we are finishing off this week with some stuff about The Land (stuff everyone who likes the new Land should enjoy) Then, within the next few weeks, we'll be posting more stuff about things that we are sure you will all agree with. (Such as how they repainted a bench in Fantasyland.. What was Disney thinking? :lookaroun ;))

Most people here like facts. You won't read Steves opinions anywhere on the main WDWMagic site. Thats great- one of the reasons I visit WDWMagic. I like unbiased facts. But, I also like to read peoples opinions on places like D-Troops. I don't agree with everyones opinions. There are tons of people I disagree with on WDWMagic.

But, I can guarentee everyone here something. I will NEVER criticize someone for their opinions on these boards. You could say you want the castle flattened and turned into a gift shop, and I would not criticize you for your opinions. I may (especially in extream cases like that) offer reasons why that would be bad. But, I would never criticize someone. And I would NEVER turn it into a personal attack. I think its fair to ask the same from all of you.

Lastly, how can you talk about Disney without being biased? We at D-Troops do not love Disney for money, or any material reason. We are not stock holders (or, at the very least, stock holders to the extent that it would really matter), and have nothing binding us to the company except a love for Disney. Every person working at D-Troops has a story. Rob? His dad used to take him to the parks- his dad even lost custody of him for doing it. Grizz? He fell in love with t attention to detail, the art, the story; "it shows they care, and they do a lot of good". Buzzy? Me? Sir Nim? Our stories are all basically the same. Its not just a hobby. Its a passion. The look on a childs eye when he first sees Cinderella's Castle is worth more than any amount of money the companies stocks could be worth.

So, tell me. How can you expect us to be unbiased about Disney?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
*steps up on little soap box - reads from "Walt Disney's Epcot Center - Creating the New World of Tomorrow"*

Page 113 on The Land:

"The architects have provided a feeling of boundless space, while the Farmers Market area has an authentic atmosphere of bustling activity where much is going on."

Page 117 on "Symbiosis" the film:

"The film's optimistic conclusion is that technological advances need not prove ruinous to the land."

So, you see, the Land was designed to A) Be "bustling" not peacefully empty and B) Symbiosis itself was not anti change/technology, ironicly in reference to "the land."

MicBat

mousermerf said:
*steps up on little soap box - reads from "Walt Disney's Epcot Center - Creating the New World of Tomorrow"*

Page 113 on The Land:

"The architects have provided a feeling of boundless space, while the Farmers Market area has an authentic atmosphere of bustling activity where much is going on."

Page 117 on "Symbiosis" the film:

"The film's optimistic conclusion is that technological advances need not prove ruinous to the land."

So, you see, the Land was designed to A) Be "bustling" not peacefully empty and B) Symbiosis itself was not anti change/technology, ironicly in reference to "the land."
Very good research there. I think the old Land design was a very constricting space down on the ground floor. Between having to crawl between tables and little stools and having big bulky umbrellas at almost every table, the old space was anything but "boundless."

On a side note, the seats look MUCH more comfortable than those little stools.

MiklCraw4d

Chiming in late...

I'm late to this discussion and haven't even read the thread yet, but these are my thoughts:

- Obviously the addition of Soarin' is a good thing. I'm not sure of the necessity of removing Food Rocks to add its entrance, but whatever.

- The changes outside the pavilion are nice. The new sign is cool, and I like that they continued the theme of the mosaic. The new planting areas are fine.

- The cosmetic changes inside are horrible. Absolutely awful. There is no color scheme. There is no unifying look. There are huge expanses of antiseptic white and gray, and swatches of very vivid blue, yellow, and green. The carpet upstairs seems drab, and the carpet in the foodcourt clashes horribly.

It's ugly. Really, really ugly. It's harsh and the lack of the warm earthtones is uninviting. It'd be OK if they had picked one look and stuck with it, but it's all over the place. The entrance, atrium, and Soarin' area area all completely different.

It makes me really, really miss John Hench.

From what I've seen of the new Sunshine Season, I like the layout of the foodservice area (the menu seems to be good too). I don't like the way the seating is laid out, though. It especially intrudes too far into the queue area of the boatride. Those who go down the stairs to ride the boats will have to sidle past the eating areas to get there. The open, free feeling of the floor has been lost.

I also have a problem with all the exposed lighting equipment around the building. Imagineers used to conceal this stuff.

I will also add that the queue area of Soarin' looks like a real drag. Very unimaginative and spare.

So, a mixed bag. No real damage done that can't be fixed with a weekend of painting and some minor reshuffling of the seating areas. Hopefully they'll get someone with some color sense from WDI to take a look and rework the visual stylings inside the pavilion soon.

Can't wait to ride Soarin, though! (And I can't wait until they get their Land-specific film....)

Michael

cherrynegra

Thank you for your post Michael. Instead of just saying you hate the new refurbishment to the Land pavillion, you've laid out your excellent detailed critique for why you don't like it. Excellent post. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom