Soarin' and The Land changes - what is your opinion?

Are you impressed with the changes made to The Land?

• Yes, I think the addition of Soarin' and changes to the Land are a good thing

Votes: 197 78.8%
  • No, I would prefer to have left the Land unchanged

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I agree with the addition of Soarin', but I do not like the changes to the rest of The Land

Votes: 35 14.0%

• Total voters

MiklCraw4d

Theme

wannab@dis said:
Uhmmm... I thought we were talking about a pavilion, not the entire THEME park. The theme of a pavilion can and should undergo a metamorphasis to keep things fresh. Whether you admit it or not, most people will read your posts as someone against change. I've had this same discussion with others and they always come back to say "good" changes are fine. Unfortunately, that's in the eye of the beholder. And even more unfortunate, most of the 'troops' have very clouded eyes.

I agree that the theme of a pavilion can change over time. However I think that these changes should remain consistent with the overall purpose (theme) of the park it's in. For instance, I wouldn't object if the Wonders of Life pavilion changed its theme from health and well-bring to, say, weather or futurism or something else. But it should also remain within the overall thematic goals of EPCOT that have been mentioned elsewhere in this discussion.

I'm not sure why my posts would be seen as against the general necessity of change. I would suggest that this would be based more on the bias of the reader than my own meaning. The only changes I oppose on a general level are those that fundamentally stray from the core tenets of Walt's goals in theme park design. Providing an accessible, pleasing experience that comforts and entertains. In EPCOT (seeing Future World as an extension of Walt's ideals for Tomorrowland) that would include informing and inspiring guests as you entertain them.

I admit that I was far more against change in general a few years ago because I had lost faith in the company to provide new experiences that were up to par. I had DCA, Disneyland's Tomorrowland, the half-finished DAK, JIYI, and several other examples to guide my conclusions. I was more wary when Disney announced the closure of a quality, proven experience for something that was an unknown factor, because they had lost my confidence that they could pull off something truly cool that didn't scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Since Pressler's departure, the turnaround has begun. My faith is returning, and with it my ability to accept the announcement of change with anticipation rather than suspicion. But that doesn't mean if I don't think the paint is ugly I'm not going to say I think it's ugly. It doesn't mean if I think Stitch Encounter is awful I won't say so.

You can disagree with changes on different levels. If they make a poor color decision in The Land, or move a fountain or put tombstones in Future World plaza, that's one thing. If they put up a carny midway on World Showcase promenade, change SSE to a roller coaster with lots of fart jokes, or replace Energy with bumper cars that's another thing.

Complaining about changes in details is just about aesthetics. If I think the paint is ugly inside it's not because I'm 'against change'. I like the new area outside. Would this not present a contradiction if I was truly against change? I think these discussions in recent years have devolved into two camps and people are unable to see the grey areas anymore.

If all of this makes me one of the 'troops' I don't really care (or even know what that means). All I know is that, at five years old, I went to EPCOT a month after it opened and since then I've spent the time studying Disney parks and design. I consider Walt a genius among entertainers and am constantly amazed at his ability to give people what they wanted even if they didn't know it. This doesn't make me at all special, but I certainly think my opinions are guided by more than a resistance to change or any mind control another web site can exert on me.

As an unrelated aside, I would describe a 'good' change as something that:

- Is technologically and aesthetically up to par with the standards that Disney has set over the years.

- Is thematically consistent both with its surroundings and within itself.

- Meets Disney standards of storytelling within an attraction.

- For EPCOT, helps tie into the themes of exploration, discovery, and human betterment.

I would see these as minimum requirements. If WDI doesn't aspire to these standards, we wind up getting Six Flags. Six Flags is great, but I don't really care about Six Flags.

I do agree with you that this discussion has veered off course from merely discussing Soarin, and would thus be far more suited for a general EPCOT thread. In this spirit, I will retreat to the other forums!

MiklCraw4d

OK, I lied.

General Grizz said:
In response to the whole education topic, I think education still should be mixed in with entertainment. Soarin' and Living with the Land, for example, offer both in the same pavilion. I'd also like to see Turtle Talk continue to present more "Sea facts" and sea awareness that can delight and inspire guests.

Maybe I do have a few more posts for this thread left in me after all. I just wanted to say that Turtle Talk is a *fantastic* example of the combination of entertainment and education. WDI really did a good job there, and I think it's a good model for how to use technological innovation to update EPCOT without altering its overall theme.

As long as Crush keeps talking on-message. If he just starts talking to kids about pizza and whale flatulence or whatever then Disney does the audience an injustice. But if he comes out, is funny, interacts with kids and informs at the same time, then WDI has hit the jackpot.

Kids aren't dumb. We treat them like they are but they really aren't. The information that EPCOT tackles is, fundamentally, pretty cool. Dinosaurs and Energy, sharks and dolphins and manta rays, crazy trips through the imagination, and rocket trips into space. Kids eat this stuff up. They don't memorize the names of dozens of dinosaur species for nothing; if information is presented in a engaging way it can and will be entertaining. That's what EPCOT should aspire to when it comes time for change.

Going with pure thrills or poo jokes is just the easy way out. There is a happy medium between a Smithsonian-style presentation and a conventional theme park. I really hope Turtle Talk is an indicator of things to come.

Shaman

MiklCraw4d said:
The only changes I oppose on a general level are those that fundamentally stray from the core tenets of Walt's goals in theme park design. Providing an accessible, pleasing experience that comforts and entertains. In EPCOT (seeing Future World as an extension of Walt's ideals for Tomorrowland) that would include informing and inspiring guests as you entertain them.

Are you then saying that no part of new Land pavilion is informative and/or inspiring?

And while we're on the subject of Walt. If I may say two things (which I know everyone knows):

-Walt never thought up a park like EPCOT Center. Thats not what his EPCOT was all about....He wanted a real city of tomorrow...not another theme park.

-Keeping the family together was another one of Walt's ideals, this version of the Land, does a better job at that than the previous.

wannab@dis

objr said:
Are you then saying that no part of new Land pavilion is informative and/or inspiring?

For him to say that, there must be part of The Land that he does not find informative and/or inspiring. But, he left out entertaining! How is it that anyone can say the new Land does entertain, inform, or inspire?

MiklCraw4d

Mild protestation

objr said:

I didn't say that. I did say I didn't like the paint job; the discussion kinda ballooned from there to EPCOT meta-issues. The part you quoted was referring to any changes I would object to on a general level, rather than a specific (i.e. paint job level criticisms) level. I figure objecting to something like a paint job and objecting to something like JIYI fall into two different categories.

objr said:
-Walt never thought up a park like EPCOT Center. Thats not what his EPCOT was all about....He wanted a real city of tomorrow...not another theme park.

I agree completely. There's no comparison between our EPCOT and his EPCOT. I do, however, tend to think of EPCOT's goals as similar to his original goals for Tomorrowland. One reason I don't mind WDW's TL shifting purely into the realm of fantasy sci-fi is that EPCOT fulfills Walt's ideas for showcasing the possibilities of tomorrow.

On an entirely different note, I do have to say that I am so glad I stuck with this thread because it gave me my very, very first chance for negative rep points! Woohoo! I quote:

"Who needs rhetorica smackdown when i can smack your reputation instead?"

Pure gold.

Anyone want to tell me they did this? You can message me in private if you want. I'm simply too curious. I would totally upgrade my account here but I am so broke at the moment I can't even do that. I'm sure you don't want your smackdown going without attribution! I won't ever know who to thank!

BradleyJay

speck76 said:
The Land is also not a destination....it is a gateway to the attractions inside.

It has almost always been that. The interior Decor of the pavilion has always, just had a slight nod to the theme "The Land".

The Theme of the pavilion, has always been carried out by the attractions, not the building itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom