Soarin' and The Land changes - what is your opinion?

Are you impressed with the changes made to The Land?

• Yes, I think the addition of Soarin' and changes to the Land are a good thing

Votes: 197 78.8%
  • No, I would prefer to have left the Land unchanged

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • I have no preference

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I agree with the addition of Soarin', but I do not like the changes to the rest of The Land

Votes: 35 14.0%

• Total voters

speck76

wannab@dis said:
One point about your poll. More than likely, close to 100% of the people taking your poll are Disney Enthusiests. If 80% of us like the looks of the new pavilion, think how much higher that percentage would be if the same question was asked to a "normal" tourist.

It kind of shows how "out of touch" the D-Troops members on this thread are from the reality of what people REALLY want in a Disney attraction.

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:
One point about your poll. More than likely, close to 100% of the people taking your poll are Disney Enthusiests. If 80% of us like the looks of the new pavilion, think how much higher that percentage would be if the same question was asked to a "normal" tourist.

I don't think that it would HAVE to be more popular among "normal" tourists. There actually could be some people out there that don't like the look, based on their own opinions. They've never seen the old Land and they don't care about what was in the old Land. That doesn't give them a free pass to automatically say that they love the new Land. Just because alot of Disney fans like the new Land, doesn't mean that "normal" tourists are going to share the same opinion.

I know what you're trying to say, but I don't know if those type of generalizations can be made automatically.

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
I don't think that it would HAVE to be more popular among "normal" tourists. There actually could be some people out there that don't like the look, based on their own opinions. They've never seen the old Land and they don't care about what was in the old Land. That doesn't give them a free pass to automatically say that they love the new Land. Just because alot of Disney fans like the new Land, doesn't mean that "normal" tourists are going to share the same opinion.

I know what you're trying to say, but I don't know if those type of generalizations can be made automatically.

the vast majority of tourist to my fair city will not give a crap about the look of The Land. They will ride Soarin', they MAY ride LWTL, and a few will watch the movie......and then they will hit the next pavilion.

Considering the majority of the General Public seems to refer to Test Track as FAST TRACK, if they are not smart enough to get a name correct, the paint scheme of a pavilion is probably one of the last things on their mind.

CTXRover

^^I don't think they're (D-troops) completely out of touch on many things. We all want the parks well-maintained and open all season long. Most of us want COP and Timekeeper to stay. Most of us want to see the parks in "good show" However, the way that the rehab of the Land has been handled over there though is questionable. I respect and appreciate the opinions of the chief editorial writer over there on this (Buzzy). However, its one thing to point out what "doesn't" work, but beyond the brief compliments of the outside and upper atrium, it almost comes across as if they have gone to great lengths not to portray the true theme and meaning of the new food court and rather have spent a lot of energy trying to misrepresent the new look to further a certain point of view. Pictures showing just white walls and metal railings is deceiving, even if its not meant to and misquoting people's opinions from these boards (mine included) to further their point of view doesn't add to their credibility in my book. But I still support their overall efforts, for now.

I think I'm done commenting on this though. There are more important things in life, even if sometimes its seems Disney IS my life :lookaroun

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
the vast majority of tourist to my fair city will not give a crap about the look of The Land. They will ride Soarin', they MAY ride LWTL, and a few will watch the movie......and then they will hit the next pavilion.

Considering the majority of the General Public seems to refer to Test Track as FAST TRACK, if they are not smart enough to get a name correct, the paint scheme of a pavilion is probably one of the last things on their mind.

They might not care, but their impression still might not be positive.

And I guess you could use the argument that if nobody but the Disney fan cares about the look of the pavilion, then why spend all that money changing it? Why not just throw Soarin' in there and leave everything else the same? I'm not saying that's how I fell AT ALL by the way. Just posing the question.

nicholas

To the webmasters and admins at d-troops:

Hi!

I registerd on your site waaaaaay back before it even opened to the general public. I thought it would be great to be a part of a group of people interesting in making WDW the best it could be, in all aspects.

I now see, though, that this group is not something I want to be a part of, or have any ties to. So, I am requesting that you delete my account. Ban me. Just do something to make sure my name does not appear as a member of this army.

Oh, and a smilie was named after me. You can get rid of that too.

Thanks! :wave:

speck76

CTXRover said:
^^I don't think they're (D-troops) completely out of touch on many things. We all want the parks well-maintained and open all season long. Most of us want COP and Timekeeper to stay. Most of us want to see the parks in "good show" However, the way that the rehab of the Land has been handled over there though is questionable. Its one thing to point out what "doesn't" work, but beyond the brief compliments of the outside and upper atrium, they have gone to great lengths not to portray the true theme and meaning of the new food court and rather have spent a lot of energy trying to misrepresent the new look to further a certain point of view. Pictures showing just white walls and metal railings is deceiving, even if its not meant to and misquoting people's opinions from these boards (mine included) to further their point of view doesn't add to their credibility in my book. But I still support their overall efforts, for now.

Part of the problem is that their definition of "good show" is far beyond it ever was for Walt himself.

Check out WALT's version of IaSW from the World's Fair
pepsicola3.jpg

Look at the ceiling....yet D-troops is complaining about some grid ceiling tiles in the refurbished version. Even the grid is better than Walt's version. Also, Disney has always been a company that directed the theme towards you. They did not theme the areas that you were not really supposed to see. What D-troops does not say about the Grid ceiling is that it is right above the entrance to each room......the part of the ceiling that is behind you once you are in the room for 5 seconds.

Why would the average guest look at this part of the ceiling?....it is not only behind them within 5 seconds of entering each room, but the show elements are not near this section....IT IS NOT PART OF THE SHOW.

dxwwf3

nicholas said:
To the webmasters and admins at d-troops:

Hi!

I registerd on your site waaaaaay back before it even opened to the general public. I thought it would be great to be a part of a group of people interesting in making WDW the best it could be, in all aspects.

I now see, though, that this group is not something I want to be a part of, or have any ties to. So, I am requesting that you delete my account. Ban me. Just do something to make sure my name does not appear as a member of this army.

Oh, and a smilie was named after me. You can get rid of that too.

Thanks! :wave:

Wasn't it you that said:

"Too bad there aren't causes and issues facing mankind today that are much more important and pressing than whether or not the redesign of a building in a theme park conveys the message of symbiosis. It'd be a shame to spend our energy on those sorts of things."

Surely you have more important things to worry about then being a member of some message board forum on the internet? :D

speck76

dxwwf3 said:
They might not care, but their impression still might not be positive.

And I guess you could use the argument that if nobody but the Disney fan cares about the look of the pavilion, then why spend all that money changing it? Why not just throw Soarin' in there and leave everything else the same? I'm not saying that's how I fell AT ALL by the way. Just posing the question.

Because, unlike what some people want you to believe, WDC still goes above and beyond.

Most people want a clean and "new" environment. The rehab of The Land was more about marketing Soarin' than anything else. Advertisements are truely lost on some people....but if they enter the pavilion, and it is not something that they remember, they will explore more.

nicholas

dxwwf3 said:
Wasn't it you that said:

"Too bad there aren't causes and issues facing mankind today that are much more important and pressing than whether or not the redesign of a building in a theme park conveys the message of symbiosis. It'd be a shame to spend our energy on those sorts of things."

Surely you have more important things to worry about then being a member of some message board forum on the internet? :D
yeah. like my reputation.

CTXRover

speck76 said:
Part of the problem is that their definition of "good show" is far beyond it ever was for Walt himself.

Look at the ceiling....yet D-troops is complaining about some grid ceiling tiles in the refurbished version.

I've rolled my eyes at some of the "bad show" they've posted too. Things like way overexposing photos to show that MS has air vents in the queue is one example (which one could say, thematically speaking, are PERFECT for an industrial NASA-like facility). The IASW ceiling one I'm not even sure is "permanent" bad show. The framing was there but it just looked like a few ceiling tiles were missing, for who know's what. But the general idea of keeping things in "good show" is something I support. But its probably not fair to them, or to wdwmagic, to discuss that or any other site here.

dxwwf3

nicholas said:
yeah. like my reputation.

I was just teasing you anyways.

But honestly am I supposed to be impressed by a Premium Member with 4 boxes? I'm not saying you don't deserve it, but when I see a Premium Member with alot of boxes, it's easy to become skeptical.

wannab@dis

CTXRover said:
^^I don't think they're (D-troops) completely out of touch on many things. We all want the parks well-maintained and open all season long. Most of us want COP and Timekeeper to stay. Most of us want to see the parks in "good show" However, the way that the rehab of the Land has been handled....(snip)

I think I'm done commenting on this though. There are more important things in life, even if sometimes its seems Disney IS my life :lookaroun

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I also agreed with the overall concept that I thought they were trying to push. Maintenance, seasonal attractions, and well designed attractions are everyone's wish. However, they have decided to be 100% attack and negative. I don't agree with that.

I also don't agree with making a huge fuss over the small details. Exposed speakers or ceiling tiles? Well, whooppeee... I've never heard them say Splash is bad because of the exposed speakers and lighting, but it's there for all to see. Nope, the problem is only brought up when it's in an attraction they don't like or they are upset because it replaced another precious attraction.

Oh, get ready for the little red squares to fly your way. They've already hit me for speaking my mind in this thread.

nicholas

I'm a premium member to support the site and be able to have more pics in my photoalbum. Not to have 7000 posts and 7 green boxes.

speck76

CTXRover said:
I've rolled my eyes at some of the "bad show" they've posted too. Things like way overexposing photos to show that MS has air vents in the queue is one example (which one could say, thematically speaking, are PERFECT for an industrial NASA-like facility). The IASW ceiling one I'm not even sure is "permanent" bad show. The framing was there but it just looked like a few ceiling tiles were missing, for who know's what. But the general idea of keeping things in "good show" is something I support. But its probably not fair to them, or to wdwmagic, to discuss that site here anymore.

I agree with you on MS....they could have made it look like an office building, but how realistic would that have been.

Good show = friendly CM's, a clean park, and a safe environment.....

Bad show does not equal air vents (that shoud be there anyway) and a grid ceiling (that you should not be looking at anyway)

and that site.....they don't need anymore free advertising.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom