So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
While were talking Star Wars, I'm going to go ahead and open a can of worms and say I LOVE Sequel Trilogy Luke...to the point where his arc in The Last Jedi might be one of my favorite things in all of Star Wars. I just adore how Mark Hamill was able to stretch his acting muscles he's been building up since Batman: The Animated Series and really let him loose on a much more nuanced version of Luke than we've ever seen before. He's at once intimidating and warm in his screen presence. I think him being a reclusive hermit absolutely fits the Hero's Journey blueprint that Lucas established to a T. His stand-off with Kylo is one of the most unconventional yet utterly awesome uses of the force in the entire Skywalker saga. Hell, even the Yoda scene in Last Jedi, as weird as Yoda looks and as much as I don't really like some of the more modern dialogue ("page-turner, they are not") still has one of my favorite images in all of Star Wars with Luke and Yoda sillohouted against the burning tree. Alright, can I just say that in general I love The Last Jedi and think it will be by far the most fondly remembered film in the sequel trilogy when all is said and done. I totally admit it's got a fair share of problems in the script, but the imagery, themes, and character arcs are absolutely exquisitely executed.

NigelChanning

While were talking Star Wars, I'm going to go ahead and open a can of worms and say I LOVE Sequel Trilogy Luke...to the point where his arc in The Last Jedi might be one of my favorite things in all of Star Wars. I just adore how Mark Hamill was able to stretch his acting muscles he's been building up since Batman: The Animated Series and really let him loose on a much more nuanced version of Luke than we've ever seen before. He's at once intimidating and warm in his screen presence. I think him being a reclusive hermit absolutely fits the Hero's Journey blueprint that Lucas established to a T. His stand-off with Kylo is one of the most unconventional yet utterly awesome uses of the force in the entire Skywalker saga. Hell, even the Yoda scene in Last Jedi, as weird as Yoda looks and as much as I don't really like some of the more modern dialogue ("page-turner, they are not") still has one of my favorite images in all of Star Wars with Luke and Yoda sillohouted against the burning tree. Alright, can I just say that in general I love The Last Jedi and think it will be by far the most fondly remembered film in the sequel trilogy when all is said and done. I totally admit it's got a fair share of problems in the script, but the imagery, themes, and character arcs are absolutely exquisitely executed.
The only thing about Luke in The Last Jedi that I genuinely didn’t like was when Rey handed him his lightsaber and he threw it behind him. That Lightsaber belonged to his father and I truly don’t think that Luke would throw a precious family heir loom. The only reason I believe it was in the movie was for a cheap laugh. I agree that it will be looked upon fondly as time goes on.

Orange Cat

“THE SACRED TEXTS!”

Outbound

I'm also a fan of Luke's story. I wasn't a big fan of Finn and Poe's story though, which is why I put TLJ on "mid-tier" on my rankings list.
1. The Clone Wars 10/10
2. A New Hope 10/10
3. Empire Strikes Back 10/10
4. The Mandalorian 10/10
5. Solo 9/10
6. The Force Awakens 8/10
7. Return of the Jedi 8/10
8. Revenge of the Sith 7/10
9. The Last Jedi 7/10
10. The Rise of Skywalker 6/10
11. Rogue One 6/10
12. Phantom Menace 5/10
13. Attack of the Clones 4/10

spacemt354

Chili's
It's ironically had the opposite effect for me, it's aged poorly mostly due to how Episode 9 throws out most of its story to the point where the entire sequel trilogy feels poorly planned.

Converse that with something like Clone Wars tying in perfectly with Revenge of the Sith and it's disappointing we couldn't see that level of consistency in the sequels.

And looking back, what a waste to have Luke, Leia, and Han all in the same movie and never reunite. That has more to do with Episode 7 than anything else, but that will be to me one of the easiest missed home runs of the whole trilogy

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm also a fan of Luke's story. I wasn't a big fan of Finn and Poe's story though, which is why I put TLJ on "mid-tier" on my rankings list.
1. The Clone Wars 10/10
2. A New Hope 10/10
3. Empire Strikes Back 10/10
4. The Mandalorian 10/10
5. Solo 9/10
6. The Force Awakens 8/10
7. Return of the Jedi 8/10
8. Revenge of the Sith 7/10
9. The Last Jedi 7/10
10. The Rise of Skywalker 6/10
11. Rogue One 6/10
12. Phantom Menace 5/10
13. Attack of the Clones 4/10
Am I the only one that really enjoys the prequels? :oops:

Outbound

It's ironically had the opposite effect for me, it's aged poorly mostly due to how Episode 9 throws out most of its story to the point where the entire sequel trilogy feels poorly planned.

Converse that with something like Clone Wars tying in perfectly with Revenge of the Sith and it's disappointing we couldn't see that level of consistency in the sequels.

And looking back, what a waste to have Luke, Leia, and Han all in the same movie and never reunite. That has more to do with Episode 7 than anything else, but that will be to me one of the easiest missed home runs of the whole trilogy

I agree the ST is a huge waste of potiential, especially with the story, but the characters and action make me have more fun while watching when compared to the PT.

It is a shame we never got to see the trio reunited.

spacemt354

Chili's
Nope. Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars movie
Watched them again on disney+ with clone wars brought be back to my childhood, they are actually really good!

Revenge of the Sith is a masterpiece and Attack of the Clones sets the stage for it. Phantom Menace is still good but probably my least favorite of the 3 just because I wish we got more of Anakin in training

NigelChanning

Watched them again on disney+ with clone wars brought be back to my childhood, they are actually really good!

Revenge of the Sith is a masterpiece and Attack of the Clones sets the stage for it. Phantom Menace is still good but probably my least favorite of the 3 just because I wish we got more of Anakin in training
I agree. Revenge of the Sith is one of the only Sci-Fi films that I considered be pure Cinema. The phantom menace could’ve been a lot better. Too many discussions of trade deals and offbeat side quests. I also find the whole Anakin and Padme relationship to be a little creepy.

NigelChanning

NigelChanning Presents..

The Coco Fountain
1FFCACB5-8B2D-4EC2-B61A-6248DE12C391.jpeg

DisneyManOne

How can I like this post a hundred times?

mickeyfan5534

Delayed QotD
Who is your favorite character across the entirety of Disney (including Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Star Wars) and why?
Because I was busy with compiling scores I didn't get the chance to tell my answer.

A three-way tie:
Esmerelda for being this amazing, optimistic, superb character who has maybe some of the most compelling writing of any Disney character
Rapunzel for being this really beautiful shining light who is this amazing ball of energy who has her neurotic moments and you just really want to protect her
Cinderella for being kind, hopeful, optimistic but when she gets an opportunity to fight back against being abused, she takes it and she's rewarded for all that with a dress, a night out, some awesome shoes, and a prince.

mickeyfan5534

This is the kind of thing I mean when I say that a good piece of entertainment takes its selected IPs to form a cohesive whole. Every segment flows into each other, there's a great mix of IPs, and there's an emotional attachment that forms over the course of the show that makes the runtime feel worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom