So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
QotD
Who are your Imagineering influences?

Easily Bob Gurr. I'm the furthest thing there is from a gearhead, but I absolutely adore the way that man just dives head first into his work and he's left such a legacy in the parks. If it's ANYTHING with wheels he probably had a hand in it. That's crazy to think about. Other Imagineers like Marc Davis might have more of a personal style to them, but I've always just really respected Bob's work ethic and how he has almost a sort of tunnel vision for designing vehicles. Not saying he is Autistic, but his passion for automotives really calls to mind a lot of my Autism-fueled passions...How once you get into something you can't stop until you've digested all there is to know about the topic. Bob still does public events so I hope to one day meet him. The closest I got was him walking by me at the Disneyland model when I was a volunteer at the Walt Disney Family Museum. Volunteers aren't allowed to stop famous people, but it was the most epic polite smile and nod of my life, hahaha.

mickeyfan5534

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
He's not exactly an Imagineer, but this guy is definitely my main inspiration for wanting to work in the parks one day.
1589151749383.png

1589152004725.png

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster

Seriously, this guy deserves to be a Disney Legend by now. I'm sure countless folks have similar really fond memories of him. He's been a part of making Disneyland what it is for decades. One of my favorite aspects of him is that he's actually pretty soft-spoken when he's not "on-stage". It reminds me of when I'm in and not in podcast mode. The dude can throw himself into performance mode like a light switch.

DisneyManOne

He's not exactly an Imagineer, but this guy is definitely my main inspiration for wanting to work in the parks one day.
View attachment 469596
View attachment 469597
I've always believed that they should get Maynard to record his spiel before he retires; and then use that in place of the live cast member doing the spiel. It would be so amazing and would help keep his legacy alive long after he's gone. Plus, just make a few edits here and there, and you can use it in Florida's Tiki Room, too!

I could be wrong, but I think the only place you'd have to edit would be "...brought to you by our friends at Dole", 'cause Florida's Tiki Room has no sponsor.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Here's another epic cast member. I saw his show no less than four times my first visit to WDW. He ended up being a bigger highlight than half the stuff in the actual parks.
1589154557652.png

Also worth noting is that I got in more than a few quality interactions with Rod Miller (the old piano player at Disneyland's Coke Corner) before he retired. That man was nothing if not class and talent. To this day I've still never heard anyone play ragtime piano remotely as fast as he could. Playing ragtime really fast was basically his gimmick, but he was freakishly good at it. On top of just being an all around really nice guy with a wicked sharp sense of humor.
1589154753116.png

CookieMouse

D507EA84-6882-4DAF-920D-83E91464176A.jpeg

I am closer than ever before to going to the original Disneyland. I am planning to get a job at a “certain grocery store chain that starts with a P”, to save up for a trip to Disneyland. Doing all the calculations and planning and what not, I have found that it is far more affordable than I thought. I know about the situation right now, but once it’s all cleared up, I can know I have something to look forward to. I’ve grown up with the Florida parks my whole life and I have never been to any other Disney parks outside of those.

NigelChanning

Yeah it’s Defunct-Land. I also really like his series Defunct TV, especially the Jim Henson mini series, if you haven’t watched it; you should. Link to the first episode/playlist of the mini-series
Question of the Day: What is your favorite Disney history video on Youtube? Defunctland or otherwise.
I enjoy Defunctland but I also like Yesterworld Entertainment for the same reasons I like Defunctland (mostly presentation)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom