So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
QotD: Fitting into this weeks theme: What is your favorite snack in the parks?
The Maple Popcorn from the Canada Pavilion in Epcot! It helps that I ate it a lot because you could get it for $1.50 with a popcorn refill bucket making it super cheap and super yummy!

@D Hindley I know DisneySea has a ton of specialty popcorn. Any recommendations?

D Hulk

@D Hindley I know DisneySea has a ton of specialty popcorn. Any recommendations?
While ALL the popcorn in Tokyo is scrumptious and it’s totally worth sampling it all, the best popcorn is in Tokyo Disneyland...

It’s the honey flavor directly across from Pooh’s Hunny Hunt!:hungry: So yummy in your tummy. The only thing better is mixing it with the hot cocoa flavor! Mmm...

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
While ALL the popcorn in Tokyo is scrumptious and it’s totally worth sampling it all, the best popcorn is in Tokyo Disneyland...

It’s the honey flavor directly across from Pooh’s Hunny Hunt!:hungry: So yummy in your tummy. The only thing better is mixing it with the hot cocoa flavor! Mmm...
That sounds incredible! I need to save up for a Tokyo trip for the food alone lol.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
This pre-season has been a lot of fun. After the stress of finishing up SA VI, having something that feels more casual yet still has a bit of a competition aspect is great! Plus, them being solo and low stakes is giving me a lot of freedom to be super self indulgent lol

spacemt354

Chili's
Hey @Sharon&Susan welcome again to the forums! A bunch of us are going to be in this imagineering game is starting up soon if you're interested in playing with us!
Greetings, fellow Armchair Imagineers! Welcome to the 18th installment of the longest running Armchair Imagineering competition on the web. It's been a long hiatus since we crowned @spacemt354 winner of the last season. Since then the boards have had some ups and downs, but few would argue that the season of Sorcerer's Apprentice that just wrapped up was a definite high-point. There's been a renewed interest in long-form competitions on here. Sorcerer's Apprentice was a great spring competition, and SYWTBAI is here to usher the boards into the summer months.
View attachment 465565
Season 18 is going to have a very simple mission statement behind it. Behind the vague Nintendo Switch ascetic, at the heart of this season is going to be a return to form. Throughout the WDWMagic era of the game, each iteration has been wildly different. Get a Clue was an explosive mix of creativity and controversy with the Murder Mystery twist. Greatest Hits celebrated the projects of the past and saw @Basketbuddy101 come out of it with his second win. Uniting Universal was a rare beast of a season with no clear winner or cast, and instead acted as a stand-alone Armchair Imagineering community project that I wasn't even involved in. Finally we have Purists vs. Innovators and The International Edition. The former used the game-changing tier system to incentive players to try out harder concepts. The latter was a return to the back to basics gameplay with a very small cast. Indeed, SYWTBAI has struggled to form a real identity on these boards the same way SA has, and this season aims to change that.

Sorcerer's Apprentice is an epic. I'm just going to come right out and say that anyone expecting a running storyline or comic is going to be let down, because were focusing almost exclusively on the creative writing side of things from the players point of view with this season. While SA is a grand novel, you might think of SYWTBAI as something of a yearly edition of a video game. The golden age of SYWTBAI happened in the latter half of the Visions Fantastic era, where we had a really nailed in format that got twisted up from season to season but for a stretch always stayed pretty much in place. This time around were going back to that format and honor what's come before.
View attachment 465566
Here's what players can expect to find this season.

Team-based gameplay
Depending on the size of the cast, the season will start with you divided up into either two or three different teams. Each round the teams will have to chose a Project Leader to guide the brainstorming. It's the project leader's job to nominate two players for elimination should the team loose. This will be done via a "voting booth" private message set-up we'll be implementing for each player. After the final tallies come in and a winning project is crowned, the judges will make the call on which of the two nominees gets eliminated. Things will get switched up from time to time including at least one team swap, but generally speaking that's how the first half of the season will play out.

Midway into the season, the two teams will merge into one and each round will be a singular team effort. The same rules apply...a project leader gets chosen who then has to nominate two people for elimination. Nominations can only be made AFTER the project is completed to ensure any last minute additions to the projects get accounted for in the nomination process.

The return of the Power of MVP
The Power of MVP, or PoMVP for short, is the most famous advantage in SYWTBAI. It's the game's equivalent to the immunity idol in Survivor or the Power of Veto in Big Brother. Every round the project leaders will nominate the player they feel contributed the most to the project for the power, and it will go to the nominated player of the winning team. The player with the PoMVP will be immune from being nominated from elimination the following round. Players cannot receive the PoMVP in back to back rounds. I love this power because it does a great job of honoring folks who go above and beyond for the project while getting progressively valuable as the game goes on.

Unorthodox projects...your way!
"Have it your way" might as well be the tagline of this season. Each prompt is going to celebrate the fact that SYWTBAI is the only Armchair Imagineering game that's done wildly outside the box IPs consistently for most of its run. With that in mind, every single prompt will be a little bit outside the lines. You're not going to find many traditional prompts here. With that being said, don't be scared off if you don't want to deep dive into an IP you're not familiar with. This time around each prompt will be an outside the box concept with enough options and variations for what can be done with it to ensure that nobody feels left out in the dark. It's all about diving into the subject matter YOU are passionate about!

And those are the three basics that were incorporating into this season. Oh, and did I mention #TeamTMNT!?!?! Indeed, the quartet that emerged as one of the fan-favorite storylines of Sorcerer's Apprentice: Odyssey has reunited to run this season. @mickeyfan5534 and I will be doing podcast recaps of every single project, as @NateD1226 and @Tux provide additional feedback in text form. The podcast will be incorporated into the game more than ever before, and if any sort of running storyline naturally emerges from all this, I promise it will come out of that.

To keep up the interest during the brief hiatus between the start of SA and beginning of SYWTBAI, @mickeyfan5534 will be in charge of an Imagineering Question of the Day. Starting tomorrow I'll also be posting the first of five Weekly Challenges. These challenges will be meant to set the tone of what to expect from the prompts and a secret power will be awaiting the cast member who the judges feel contributed the most consistently to them. Sign ups will be happening in late May for an estimated early June start date. I'll leave it to Mickeyfan to post the first Daily Question, and I'll throw it over to anyone who has any questions about the format to ask away. I'm incredibly excited for the prospects of this season and think the community on these boards in its current state is in a place to deliver one of the best iterations of the game yet.

PerGron

Continuing our food theme, today's Question of the Day: What is your favorite meal you’ve had in the parks?

I’m partial to ‘Ohana Dinner, but I think the single best meal I ever had on property was at Maria and Enzo’s at Disney Springs. We were there for the Carnivale event that they host and had a 5 course meal. The chicken parm was amazing as was the Alfredo and marinara gnocchi, but the Calamari stood above the rest. I adore calamari, and this was hands-down the absolute best calamari I’ve ever had.

Idk how good their normal menu is, but the carnivale feast thing we did was totally worth it and I dream about that calamari

JokersWild

I'm not sure I can pick one.

Fried chicken at Homecomin' was fantastic.
The duck at Les Chefs de France is always a go-to for me.
Breakfast at Kona Cafe is something I try to do once a trip.
Not Disney, but Mythos has one of the best burgers I've ever had.

And I totally forgot, but two other snacks that I absolutely adore are the takoyaki at Morimoto Street Eats, and the ooey gooey sundae at Ample Hills over at The Boardwalk.

D Hulk

This is a category where I suspect WDW has the advantage over all the other resorts combined. (And WDW is my blind spot.) Nonetheless, out of DLR, TDL, DLP, HKDL & SDL, my choice goes to...

Carthay Circle in DCA

This is the best in-parks upscale dining I’ve experienced. Simply getting away from the heat & activity for a couple of hours is invaluable. (For a period of time when I was a regular downstairs, the Carthay Circle Lounge bartenders knew me by name.) In pure dollar amount you’ll pay more here, but versus a $12 turkey leg or a ludicrously disappointing $20 cantina drink, the value at Carthay Circle is much much higher... comparable to similar restaurants miles away from Disneyland.

Carthay_Circle_Duck_Legs.jpg

My best single meal there involved first splitting a few of their signature appetizers, namely the jalapeño cheddar biscuits and the spicy duck wings. Then a rib-eye for the main course, and a caramel popcorn tart for dessert. For drink, scotch, neat.

Appropriately for a Californian meal, traditional dishes have distinctive standout flavors which never overwhelm but make even an old standard like steak memorable. That gets me returning on occasion, and that’s crucial in a passholder-dominated resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom