So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

D Hulk

Like @Tux, I’m gonna spam these:p

Question of the Day: What's something you want to improve on in Imagineering?
Perhaps it’s time to look into RCT or Planet Coaster or something, though I’m not sure if my current gewgaw can handle those.

And one of these days I gotta figure out stuff like parades and show spectaculars. Because to me they’ve always just seemed like IP grab bags whose main purpose is to make the line for Splash Mountain temporarily shorter.

Question of the Day: What's an under-represented IP that should have more?
That’s hard to say. It’s either EVERY IP, or NONE of them. :bored:

There is so, so, so much material that theme parks can draw from (a dozen+ new films and games and shows etc every year to choose from), and simply not enough space or budget to do it all justice. If mediocre movies like Cars and Song of the South can yield fantastic park environments and experiences, and they have, then anything is fair game. I hate how most of the time in the real world, parks pick IPs based on how much $ they’ve made, and then the resulting land (Hogwarts, Galaxy’s Edge) assumes that guests are arriving with preexisting knowledge and emotional connections. As well made as these lands truly are, they’re ultimately as creatively limited as Disney’s live action remakes. The best IP adaptations (Splash Mountain again!) work wholly separate from a forgotten source material.

All this is a not-very-eloquent way to announce that I intend to start a new personal project based on a forgotten old IP which I’ll be announcing below...

Question of the Day: What's your favorite movie of all time?

I’ll just list out a bunch, because it’s easy enough to pick one per genre but it’s impossible to compare those. Also I tend to have a taste for older things.

Lawrence of Arabia, Seven Samurai, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Parasite, The General (1927), Airplane!, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Next month it’ll be different. My animated choice is answered below

I'll throw out a Question of the Day.

Which video game setting would you most like to see translated into a theme park?
All of them! Video games are all about interactivity and incredible settings, and it’s the same for theme parks. But then it’s a problem of realism. As often as Armchair Imagineers mention, say, Kingdom Hearts, could you justify putting that in a real park when most guests outside of a certain constituency don’t know it at all? It has familiar known characters, yes, that one is doable, but it would be a fine line to walk.

But my personal response...Adventure stories always translate well into parks, so I’d go with something like Shambala from Uncharted.

uncharted-2-shambhala-600x338.jpg

QotD: How would you pull off an Avengers E-ticket?
RMC

QotD: Because there are rumors of a live-action Hercules going into preproduction: what's a Disney movie you would like to see as a live-action remake?
The Emperor’s New Groove, directed by the man, the legend, the myth, Taika Waititi.

QotD: What is your favorite type of Imagineering project? What kind of prompt makes your mind go into overdrive?
Mumbai Disneyland! :D

Okay, actually, my answer is “whole park prompts.” Especially ones which have NO Disney IPs whatsoever! Why?! Disney parks come with several limiting expectations (tons of very specific IPs, low thrill level) which can offset the advantages (high budget, the latest ride tech). Taking Disney’s fantastic approach to place-making, and applying those standards to concepts they wouldn’t tackle, even just as a mental exercise on these forums, can be incredibly fun and freeing

Coming off of yesterday's podcast and the first reviews, what got you into Armchair Imagineering? What about this little community attracted you to join in?
Short answer here, since everyone else gave full backstories. I was coming off of a very trying personal tragedy (death of a parent preceded by a year of at-home nursing and estate management), and I got into Armchair Imagineering then as one of many ways to emotionally recover. It worked tremendously well, thanks be to welcoming communities like this one, and several years later I’m still involved for the sheer joy of it all.

QotD: What is your favorite non-Disney animated film?
Spirited Away.

I have fond memories of seeing this in theaters. I’d just kidnapped my roommate’s mom (long story) and I was driving her to the drop off point around midnight when we passed a one-time-only screening at this funky old indy theater. Slam on the brakes! So I forced her to watch it, she loved it of course because it’s a beautiful masterpiece, and we finally reached our rendezvous around 3 AM.

QotD: What’s your favorite piece of animation (purely animation, ignoring dialogue, music, song, any of that) in any film?
Okay, so THIS is the IP idea I’d mentioned way up top. As a personal project, hopefully coming soon, I want to design an entire theme park dedicated to the greatest animator of all time (who never actually made an animated film)...

:DRay Harryhausen:D
garxaY.gif

tumblr_pw5zlkmyB31qg39ewo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

mickeyfan5534

And one of these days I gotta figure out stuff like parades and show spectaculars. Because to me they’ve always just seemed like IP grab bags whose main purpose is to make the line for Splash Mountain temporarily shorter.
A bad parade or show is an IP grab bag. However, I think that a good parade or show does something cohesive with its selection of IPs. It plays on a theme or idea and runs with it. Magic Happens, for all its flaws, does this really well. It's almost set up like an essay. An introduction to the idea of magic, some different aspects of magic: nature (Moana), music (Coco), discovery (Frozen), and then a conclusion that recaps the ideas of nature (PatF), music (Cinderella), and discovery (SitS) in the specific context of moments of happily ever after that completes with another general celebration of magic with the Sleeping Beauty float tying everything together.
All of them! Video games are all about interactivity and incredible settings, and it’s the same for theme parks. But then it’s a problem of realism. As often as Armchair Imagineers mention, say, Kingdom Hearts, could you justify putting that in a real park when most guests outside of a certain constituency don’t know it at all? It has familiar known characters, yes, that one is doable, but it would be a fine line to walk.

But my personal response...Adventure stories always translate well into parks, so I’d go with something like Shambala from Uncharted.

uncharted-2-shambhala-600x338.jpg
Uncharted could make for a really interesting ride when I think about it.
The Emperor’s New Groove, directed by the man, the legend, the myth, Taika Waititi.
The only correct answer tbh
Spirited Away.
TASTE!
Okay, so THIS is the IP idea I’d mentioned way up top. As a personal project, hopefully coming soon, I want to design an entire theme park dedicated to the greatest animator of all time (who never actually made an animated film)...

:DRay Harryhausen:D
Purely in concept alone, I love this.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
QotD: What’s your favorite piece of animation (purely animation, ignoring dialogue, music, song, any of that) in any film?

This is a recent example, but I legitimately can't think of a more powerful piece of animation than the moment of regret Stoic has after he walks out at the very end of the scene. It's such a quick little moment but it's always really stuck with me. Not just the look on his face but the way his body almost falls back in regret, and then him just taking a moment of remorse before going back into business mode. Absolutely priceless piece of animated acting.

Orange Cat

Pufflefan Presents
1C7157C4-73C5-421A-9999-F7B431FA322A.jpeg
Coming to DisneyLand Paris‘s FantasyLand is a brand new snack stand based off of The Beauty & the Beast, THE ROYAL ROSE. A very detailed snack stand thats as if you‘re in a moment from the film, with inbuilt heat; & the atmosphere serving as Be Our Guest compressed into a single stand.
B94F4E24-0E99-47C8-8AC3-74CEB5552080.jpeg
While the snack stand itself may be important, the main snack itself is just as (if not more) important; & that snack is, THE CHOCOLATE ROSE. An iced chocolate cherry drink with a fake rose sticking out that can be ordered multiple ways; coming in shots & in the size of roughly a Venti coffee cup. Along with dry, caffeinated, & alcoholic options available.

Last edited:

NateD1226

NigelChanning09 Presents....

The Muppet Snack Lab!
View attachment 468316
Just letting you know that you need to change the link so we can see the project. Hit share in the top right corner and click get shareable link.
1588620291534.png

Make sure it is on "can view" so nobody edits your work. Then copy the link and edit your post so we can see your project. :)

NigelChanning

Just letting you know that you need to change the link so we can see the project. Hit share in the top right corner and click get shareable link.
View attachment 468323
Make sure it is on "can view" so nobody edits your work. Then copy the link and edit your post so we can see your project. :)
Thank you so much! This is my first time using Google Docs so I appreciate you telling me this. If it still doesn’t work, tell me. I’m currently working on the “can view” part.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
This is a wonderful pull. Just instantly iconic. Arguably the single most powerful and important moment in the history of adult animation.
I'm not gonna argue Bojack has the best animation or art design. But they know how to get a lot of emotion out of their animation. The end of Escape from LA and the Planetarium scene are amazing! The way they use the visuals of the planetarium scene in future seasons (Don't stop dancing, the water bottles) just enhances the emotional impact. It's incredibly poignant visual storytelling through simple, yet beautiful visuals!

DashHaber

Dr. Hogwash’s Mineral Meals

Snack Stand Description:
Over near Miner’s Cove at the Magic Kingdom’s Frontierland, a new wagon has rolled into town. This traveling wagon is colorful and covered in signage designed to catch the eye. The top has the primary sign on top, announcing it as “Dr. Hogwash’s Mineral Meals” and a line below that advertising “Edible Crystals and Elixirs”. Signs located elsewhere on the wagon proclaim “Natural Cures for the Common Hunger” and “Straight from the Mine – Freshly Delivered!”.

67b67422-f471-4ee9-b9c7-ae0fba7b9740

Among its treats, the wagon sells rock candy, bottled water, Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, and lemonade. The Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, Sprite, and lemonade can either be purchased as a regular fountain drink, or in a special souvenir bottle that resembles an old-fashioned medicinal bottle labeled “Dr. Hogwash’s Mineral Elixir”.

a94f1408bef1c2cf497f82cfd20e240f--old-medicine-bottles-snakes.jpg

Of course, these are just the regular items on the menu. The major snack that is the central treat for this stand is…the Popper Nugget.

Special Snack Description: The Popper Nugget is a small, muffin-like treat of lemon bread. The shape is not quite like a usual muffin, however. It is rather more reminiscent of a gold nugget, bumpy and with a golden shade. However, the real treat to it comes when you take a bite. As the lemon taste comes through, so too does a popping sensation! Courtesy of pop rocks adorning the exterior like miniature crystals mixed with the gold, you will have a lemony sweet treat that explodes with flavor.

5d0052a6e93d2.jpg

CookieMouse

Serarian Sweets N Cosmic Treats
5FD81672-9687-46B5-9E42-4DB98DD46C2A.jpeg

Located in Magic Kingdom’s Tomorrowland
Backstory:

Long ago, back in the year of 2020, while the citizens of earth were facing the Coronavirus, another far more advanced civilization in a distant galaxy was also facing hardships, only they had it worse. The serarian’s home planet of seraria had been destroyed in the midst of a intergalactic war. Luckily, they had mastered space travel, so they were able to survive. However, things weren’t all good. Many serarians were unsuccessful in finding jobs on their new planets, with them being forced to live in squalor. Others were able to thrive, such as one Edo Serquak and his family. Edo wasn’t a very wealthy person back when his home planet was still around. In fact, he was barely in the middle class. When the planet was destroyed and the family had arrived on earth, the year was 2071, and earth had become a bustling spaceport.
9CD199D5-0582-4B3F-BFAC-39284E7D4EC5.jpeg

Wanting to share their planet’s cuisine with the people of earth, they created a small business specializing in deserts, using the old family spaceship as a makeshift food cart. To their excitement, it was an astounding success, and their small little food cart quickly became one of the most popular spots in all of Tomorrowland!

Cosmic Creme Puff
2C963C10-97B2-4EA4-BF86-71E43DFAD872.jpeg

Imagine this picture but the outside is blue and covered with pop rocks.

A Blue Creme Puff With White Creme filling and encrusted with blue raspberry popping candy. Outside Is berry flavored.

The Tomorrowlander
353675D1-F400-48C3-B54F-18DE789B0A8A.jpeg

Your choice of soda combined with either sweet or unsweetened tea.

Galaxy Cookie
3B138450-4A8C-4760-B331-CFADD121451A.jpeg

Same kinda style as this cookie

A sugar cookie with chocolate frosting that is colored to look like a galaxy. Rumor Has it that they are actually miniature galaxies, but who cares as long as they get to enjoy this out of this world treat!?

Coca Cola Products

Bottled Water

Last edited:

CookieMouse

View attachment 468401
Located in Tomorrowland
Backstory:

Long ago, back in the year of 2020, while the citizens of earth were facing the Coronavirus, another far more advanced civilization in a distant galaxy was also facing hardships, only they had it worse. The serarian’s home planet of seraria had been destroyed in the midst of a intergalactic war. Luckily, they had mastered space travel, so they were able to survive. However, things weren’t all good. Many serarians were unsuccessful in finding jobs on their new planets, with them being forced to live in squalor. Others were able to thrive, such as one Edo Serquak and his family. Edo wasn’t a very wealthy person back when his home planet was still around. In fact, he was barely in the middle class. When the planet was destroyed and the family had arrived on earth, the year was 2071, and earth had become a bustling spaceport.
View attachment 468385
Wanting to share their planet’s cuisine with the people of earth, they created a small business specializing in deserts, using the old family spaceship as a makeshift food cart. To their excitement, it was an astounding success, and their small little food cart quickly became one of the most popular spots in all of Tomorrowland!

Cosmic Creme Puff
View attachment 468386

A Blue Creme Puff With White Creme filling and encrusted with blue raspberry popping candy. Outside Is berry flavored.

The Tomorrowlander
View attachment 468391

Galaxy Cookie
View attachment 468394

A sugar cookie with chocolate frosting that is colored to look like a galaxy. Rumor Has it that they are actually miniature galaxies, but who cares as long as they get to enjoy this out of this world treat!?

Coca Cola Products

Bottled Water
The tea was inspired by when I mixed Coke Zero and unsweet tea in an attempt to make a new drink. It was pretty good. Almost coffee tasting. Try it yourself with your favorite soda and sweet or unsweet tea.

NigelChanning

View attachment 468401
Located in Tomorrowland
Backstory:

View attachment 468385

Cosmic Creme Puff
View attachment 468386

The Tomorrowlander
View attachment 468391

Galaxy Cookie
View attachment 468394

Coca Cola Products

Bottled Water
This....is AMAZING!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Happy to see so many posting the weekly challenge early! I'll start reviewing them in written form tomorrow, so keep sending them in if you want a written review. I usually do two waves of written reviews before the podcast so as long as you post by the deadline this time around you should get some text feedback from me. We'll be doing the podcast this Saturday to avoid any last minute postings being skipped over like what happened with Pi last time. Just an early kink to easily iron out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom