So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

Suchomimus

cdd.jpg

Outbound

Hey @Outbound , I’m working on this weeks project and I’m new to using Google Docs. I’m just wondering what template you chose for this project?

I used Robin from SlidesCarnival, though feel free to pick any of the templates there, they're all fantastic (and so much better than default). Warning: I didn't like how big the title post-it was so I actually screenshot it and went into photoshop to make it smaller while retaining the transparent background. Everything else though is fairly simple: the wood background came from me adjusting the backdrop on slides.

Keep in mind, I used Google Slides, not Google Docs. Google Docs is for typing out long pages. For example, Pi used Google Docs. For this project I used Google Slides, which is technically designed for presentations but I used it to have a more visual flair than long paragraphs. You can tell which is which by the color, blue being docs, yellow being slides if I were you'd stick to docs at the moment because it is easier to use for newcomers.

If you have any other questions let me know :)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
QotD: What is your favorite non-Disney animated film?
Lego Movie and Spiderverse. But people already said those. So, I'm gonna take this from a different angle.

The Pagemaster! (It's mostly animated)

It might not be the best movie (by a long shot), but we had it on VHS when I was a kid and for some reason that became my go to sick day movie. From basically the time I was a toddler until I was teen I'd watch it at least once every single time I got sick. I still sometimes track down a copy of this dumb movie when I get really sick. It's purely nostalgia because it isn't really good, but it never fails to make me feel comfortable and safe.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

Tux

"Hi, Yes I Missed All Of The QOTD Posts, But I'm Going To Spam My Answers Anyway In This Post"
And speaking of the Question of the Day, we're going to start with a simple one.

What is your favorite single thing at any Disney Park? Ride, show, parade, sign, song, line, theming. Past or present, it doesn't matter.
My personal favorite thing about any Disney Park are the levels of detail and immersion that go into the overall areas, it makes you just wish that you could stay in one particular spot in forever and just embrace the environment, which is an experience you won't typically get unless you actually adventure out in the world which is amazing in how they really pull you in and make everything seem real.

That, and most attractions that came from the Walt Era all the way to the Frank Wells era were usually just straight up amazing, whether they were trying to tell a thrilling tale of adventure of the olden ages of pirates, inspire you for a better future, or fix an old movie that was previously the black sheep of the Disney Vault due to it's racism so that the racism is completely removed. Sure, that's not to say that attractions from the later Michael Eisner years to the present are garbage, but, they tend to have more inconsistent quality compared to back then where rides were almost consistently good except for the occasional failure of a flat ride or attraction that quickly became outdated. That or it's just Amemia goggles, I can't tell.

Question of the Day: What's something that you've enjoyed while social distancing?

Well, I've been able to do digital art more frequently now, and I have been playing video games in my spare time like Planet Zoo, Plague Inc., and The Sims 3 in the meantime. I've also been able to spend more time with my cat since I've been home so that's always a plus.

Question of the Day: What's something you want to improve on in Imagineering?
Okay, so I have two main things I want to focus on: Not being a perfectionist when it comes to everything and wanting it to be my Magnum Opus, especially when it comes to finale, and to stop randomly info dumping in paragraphs to the point that everything becomes cluttered. The latter I feel is really a problem, since I do want to express how the mechanics work but I don't know how to do it without breaking the rythmn of the text and having to force the reader to look back at the other section to understand what's going on, but, otherwise it seems really inconsistent jumping topic to topic. I think the latter could be fixed by simply using a map and labeling it, but for the former I have no idea.

Question of the Day: What's an under-represented IP that should have more?
Hoo boy, I have a lot of them on my mind, but I would say almost all of the dark age animations were some of the best Disney films in general with most of them having the strength of having really good characters most of the time which were very fun to follow and generally had very good dynamics, and I appreciated them for having grittier and more realistic tones compared to other Disney movies which can be refreshing at times, although that being said, I still love the cheerful bliss filled Disney films that were common prior and after the Dark Age. It's such a shame that it was tainted by the massive pile of wasted potential that was The Black Cauldron.

Meanwhile, the early 2000s Disney had a very inconsistent quality to it so it's easy to see why some of the movies were definitely despised by many (Chicken Little, Home On The Range, Dinosaur, Etc..) and it makes me sad to see that some of the best movies in Disney's catalog were tainted by these movies because I'm 90% sure that if movies like Treasure Planet, Lilo And Stitch, and The Emperor's New Groove were released in the renaissance era with proper marketing, they would've been critical and box office darlings.

Finally we have two of the many usually consistently terrible Disney sequels: Cinderella 3: A Twist In Time, and The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. Cinderella 3 can just have an expanded budget for extra detail, given proper advertising, and then released into theatres since that movie is ridiculously good for a Disney Sequel for whatever reason. Meanwhile The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride is a movie I have very mixed feelings on. I wish the movie could be better written (You could have almost all of the past members of the previous movie diagnosed with genetically linked Fall-Off-A-Cliff-Itis and nothing would change), have some of it's casting fixed, have better humor and some better timed moments, and have the plot explained so people don't think it's "Incest Is Wincest: The Movie", the animation given a bigger budget and other plot holes fixed. However, the movie's biggest strengths are easily the soundtrack and the newer characters which hold up well today. Kovu, Kiara, and Nuka have some of the most complex arcs for Disney characters, Zira is one of the coolest villains in the entire Disney canon, and Vitani deserved better than to be treated as a background character because she's one of the coolest characters and had alot of potential.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite movie of all time?
"In the movie, they catch up to him a half-mile down the rode and slit his throat. (Giggles) It was a good one!"

I'll throw out a Question of the Day.

Which video game setting would you most like to see translated into a theme park?
One idea I never really see come up is the idea for a Metroid interactive dark ride, which could work really well with the setting, and due to Metroid being a very linear game with shooting mechanics, it makes for an easy adaptation with some added interaction.

QotD: How would you pull off an Avengers E-ticket?

It would have to be something huge on a Rise Of Resistance scale, and it needs to be something absolutely amazing while not breaking the timeline. We've already established in universe that there's a multiverse and time travel which induces a butterfly effect, therefore it's not unreasonable to have the ride go through a multiversial battle against the villains throughout the Marvel Universe in a Spider Verse type situation with one or two villains added from the comics with the battle ending against Thanos. I feel as if an updated version of a Disneyquest VR ride mixed with a motion simulator would work best allowing for interactivity while still making guests feel immersed in the experience.

QotD: Because there are rumors of a live-action Hercules going into preproduction: what's a Disney movie you would like to see as a live-action remake?
Live Action Chicken Little, not because I think it'll be good or anything, it's just because I want to watch the world burn because it's impossible to improve either The Live Action movies and Chicken Little at the same time. It'll force Disney into being original with their movies again. only do animated sequels, or push to improve the quality of their Live Action Remakes if the movie bombs diehard, and because it's a paradox for anything to be remotely good with the two in the same sentence it has a 80% chance of failure, but, if it actually turns out good and winds up continues the trend, which I don't mind in that case scenario because they actually fixed the movie in that case and might actually cause the Live Action Remakes to go into a renaissance era. You cannot go wrong with this because it's very unlikely to kill the company and very unlikely to be regarded as a nostalgic property so it doesn't have any real bias against it but negative bias which could probably be fixed by advertising how they fixed the movie this time. Worst case scenario, it's Treasure Planet 2.0 and pushes the company back to barely doing anything with their remake, but it's unlikely for the movie to have been that good anyways because if the marketing would have just done it's job, it would have been regarded as an improvement to the original.

QotD: What is your favorite type of Imagineering project? What kind of prompt makes your mind go into overdrive?
Well, if the Art Of Arjuna is a sign of anything, I like doing stage shows and musicals now, but usually anything involving retail and dining as they're typically easier to do justice, fun to do, easy to customize and theme, while still having to be creative about how you're going to make it stand out and making proper menus while fitting in to the culture of the park and it's themes.

Coming off of yesterday's podcast and the first reviews, what got you into Armchair Imagineering? What about this little community attracted you to join in?

It's a long story, but it mainly had to do with going to the parks as a child, and one day stumbling across a Expedition Theme Park video on Kitchen Kabaret/Food Rocks which got me obsessed with extinct attractions which I would come back to every now which eventually got me into the Find Buzzy incident, and so I went on to do my own research on the case. I then would lurk on these board for more information on the case, but then I started going to the Imagineering board and reading about the projects here which caused me to eventually join right around the time I was learning more about Horizons.

QotD: What is your favorite non-Disney animated film?

Well, I mean I can't name a single Stop Motion/Claymation Film I know about that I thought was terrible and they count as animated films, so probably anything by Laika Studios, along with the Stop Motion of Tim Burton, and the Claymation movies of Dreamworks.

mickeyfan5534

QotD: What’s your favorite piece of animation (purely animation, ignoring dialogue, music, song, any of that) in any film?
I've got two:
98166-Sleeping-Beauty-Dances-With-Prince-Charming.gif

This part of Once Upon a Dream which I think is one of the most perfectly animated segments of all time for several reasons

The entirety of Beauty and the Beast which imo is a masterclass in animated acting.

PerGron

QotD: What’s your favorite piece of animation (purely animation, ignoring dialogue, music, song, any of that) in any film?

This one shot in Up sticks out to me the most, even without Michael Giacchino’s amazing score, the emotion is conveyed just through this image gorgeously.
C838F4DF-8B2C-4112-8F7F-65CAC57AF19E.jpeg

However, throwing caution to the wind, I’m gonna say my favorite Animation moment isn't in a film, it’s in television and it’s this shot here. The pure emotion wrapped up in this animation, the way it’s framed, the way it’s lit, and the way the characters are both facing away, this is easily one of the best shots in animation in my humble opinion.
8D08BA21-3610-4BE9-B9AA-EE23EC45FA52.jpeg

D Hulk

Hello everybody!

Boy have I been creatively spent in the wake of Sorcerer’s Apprentice. :hungover: I put a pile of effort into it, especially towards the end, with a sprint-meets-marathon strategy (very much aided by quarantine) which kind of exhausted me for a bit afterwards.
My gameplan for pretty much all SA projects this season with the exception of the final one was to formulate ideas in my head for 90% of the duration of the challenge time, then sit down and write it within a three or four hour chunk of time with as crystallized of a vision for what I want to do as physically possible. Even the Saltwater project I didn't start writing until three days before it was due. A huge chunk of my process is mental formulation and outlining.
I’m a week behind on this thread, and I’m reading it all through now. This comment I just had to dignify.

Because it’s the opposite to how I approached the SA projects this year. With so much focus on artwork and visual presentations, I often started creating content long before even starting a brainstorming process. This proved to be a useful - if counterintuitive - approach to a challenge. Working on images let the project create itself before my eyes, and sometimes a format like a trip report website helped dictate the content by its limitations. Particularly with the Westernland map for Mumbai, I’d wind up drawing some random detail, then figure out what could go there (shop? meet & greet?) later.

These different approaches fascinate me. Tiki is one of the most experienced and creative players around, with loads of energy (running a comp right after competing in the SA finals?! I salute you!) and a really distinctive voice. He zigs when I zag. Anyway...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom