So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 18 HYPE THREAD!

spacemt354

Chili's
QotD: Because there are rumors of a live-action Hercules going into preproduction: what's a Disney movie you would like to see as a live-action remake?
I'd like to seem them take a box office flop and remake it better. Like Black Cauldron.

I never really grasped the fad of remaking classics in live-action, the only live-action remake I actually saw was a part of Beauty and the Beast being played at 'movie night' at Disney resort one trip.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Bald Mountain: A Disney Villains Adventure

Exterior:

The Exterior of this E-Ticket attraction is Maleficent’s Castle at the bottom of Bald Mountain, which is about the size of Expedition Everest. Maleficent’s Castle looks about the size of Hogwarts Castle as IOA.
Queue:
The Queue has guests traveling through Maleficent’s Castle, which is now headquarters for Maleficent, Evil Queen, Ursula, Captain Hook, Jafar, and Cruella Devil. Guests pass through the castle corridors until they reach the pre-show.
Pre-Show:
The Story of the attraction is conveyed through a spell book with moving pictures (screens) and Maleficent’s voice booming over the audience as she explains that the heroes that once defeated them will pay at the hands of Chernabog, the spirit of evil. But first, they must deal with you, the trespassers.
Ride Experience:
You board your boat in the castle dungeon (boarding area) and embark on your journey, leading to your inevitable doom. You pass through an outdoor portion of the attraction on your way to the base of Bald Mountain. You pass by Hook’s Ship and enter a cave. You see stalagmites and stalactites in the shape of the Disney Villains before coming face to face with all the villains (as Animatronics) in a meeting. Ursula orders Flotsam and Jetsam, Ursula’s goons, to take you under water (an effect achieved through screens like POTC in Shanghai). you see a giant Ursula Audio-Animatronic. After coming back to the mountain, your ride vehicle is attacked by Jafar in his snake form. Then come in between two of Hook’s ships as they try to hit you with a cannonball. All of a sudden, the ride switches to a Rollercoaster as you fly through the mountain and come face to face with Chernabog himself. As you escape his clutches, Maleficent as a dragon doesn’t give up that easy. She makes one final swipe at you before you escape and make your way back the castle. You exit through the gift shop selling Disney Villains merch.

@NigelChanning09 is this your final submission? Feel free to post another one before the due date, just want to make sure I know what to actually grade :)

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Weekly Challenge Number One: Blue Skies Ahead!
View attachment 465882
Were going to start things off with the most open ended project possible. It's the one, the only, the coveted Blue Sky Project. What these projects entail is that the prompt is entirely up to YOU. Anyone who wishes to participate must create a stand-alone project that can be anything from a full blown park to the simplest of park benches. The risk/reward of Blue Sky Projects come in the form of how ambitious to you want to push the ideas with just you. In the past some of the winning projects in this category have been the more small scale ones. We'll welcome any and all sorts of prompts and ideas this round, but it will all be judged by the same grading scale.

At the end of five rounds, the person with the most culminated points will win a special SECRET POWER heading into the season! Good luck, fellow Armchair Imagineers. Your first Weekly Challenge is due Friday, May 1st at 11:59PM Eastern/8:59PM Pacific.

Here's the grading scale as a reminder...

Creativity: /10
Realism: /10
Detail: /10
Presentation: /10

Group work won't count towards solo projects and will thus make each solo project worth a total of 40 possible points.​
Does this have to be a theme park project? Or can it be something more out there like a game or movie?

NateD1226

NateD1226's Reviews Part 2!

@DashHaber - Wreck-It Ralph: Arcade Clean-Up

This was a very fun and simple idea. I loved it a lot. Wreck it Ralph isn't one of my favorite Disney movies but I still really loved the idea. If I had to nitpick I would dive dip into more of the statistics, ride type, etc just to tie the whole project together. But overall it was well done! Great job!
Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 7/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 8/10
Total: 31/40

@Pufflefan - Dream Boats
Very fun project with bright colors! The replacement of Nemo is long awaited here in California. It is old and terrible so great pick on the location. The idea of making it more open is also a great idea. The story was a little loose and could have been explained just a bit more. One more nitpick I have is the color choices and font. It was just a little hard to read the writing. Overall, a very fun project! Great job!
Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 7/10
Detail: 7/10
Presentation: 9/10
Total: 32/40

Outbound

OutboundTitle.png

An Adventure of a Lifetime!
See Something Like Never Before!

1588292433845.png

Reading Music
(Remember to Loop)

NigelChanning

Apologies for that Nintendo venting earlier. Probably not the right place for it haha.

As a reminder, the first Weekly Challenge is due tomorrow at midnight eastern, 9PM pacific. @mickeyfan5534 and I will be doing an early podcast at 9PM Eastern, so if you want your project to be included in the podcast please have it posted at least an hour before then. We'll also be going over some basic gameplay mechanics a second time just to iron them out for the new players who are joining us for the first time.
Where and when can we listen to the Podcast?

NigelChanning

This is not my final submission

ToonTown Expansion/Complete Overhaul

This idea is completely hypothetical and will never happen. But, like many ideas on this forum, they’re not going to happen. So, this is an extremely “out there” idea.

This new ToonTown will be split into four new themed areas. These areas as well as the entire theme of this ToonTown is to immerse the audience into the world of Mickey Mouse (not Rodger Rabbit)
ToonTown Square:
Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway

(Same ride planned for ToonTown)
Minnie’s Fashion Studio:
This is a shooter/dark ride where you use paint canons to shoot dots and other patterns on to outfits.
Goofy’s Limo Service:
Enter Powerline Records, which is being converted to a museum dedicated to Powerline from A Goofy Movie, where you are suddenly informed that you’re being given tickets to the Powerline concert. In order to get there before the show starts, Goofy will have to race across town in his limo to get you there, all while listening to Stand Out or I2I.
Port Donald:
Huey, Dewey, and Louie’s Water Games:

Use water canons to blast targets on this fun ride using the same technology as Shanghai’s POTC
Duckburg:
Ducktales: Money Bin Madness

Assist Scrooge and the gang on stopping Magica De spell from stealing Scrooge’s fortune. This is a Kuka arm dark ride.
The Wonders of Science:
Join Professor Ludwig VonDrake as he teaches you multiple “Wonders of Science” like Chemistry, Physics, and more in a fun and exciting way. This ride uses the same tech as Web Slingers: A Spider-Man Adventure coming to DCA.
Goofy Canyon:
Goofy’s Runaway Road Trip:

Join Goofy and Max as they venture onto the open road and find themselves on the run from Bigfoot. This is a coaster similar to Big Grizzly Mountain in Hong Kong. Goofy’s face is carved into the mountain rather than a bear.
E7D05E7B-111E-4490-B2C8-5E598ECACDA3.jpeg

Tux

TUX'S REVIEWS (PT 1)

Having an attraction that wasn't originally planned and in fact was made due to factors out of the company's control is certainly a very interesting choice creative wise and realism wise since it's something that doesn't happen very frequently throughout the forums, and yet I like it not only for the above factors but also because it helps to logically bridge why the company chose to do Alice for the Magic Kingdom instead of Toad. My favorite thing about this submission is how the way the ride is described makes it genuinely feel like a 1970's classic fantasyland attraction. Well done!

Creativity - 8/10
Detail - 9/10
Realism - 10/10
Presentation - 8/10
OVERALL SCORE - 35/40
I can tell this is something that you were clearly very passionate about, given the crazy amount of detail and effort that went into the plot of the attraction, and yet it never feels out of place in Fantasyland due to the fairy tale plot. It feels like it would fit right at home at Tokyo Disneyland with hints of Paris Disneyland mixed in! I also enjoyed some of the symbolism I noticed throughout the project like the flowers and the crow element. The only thing I'm worried about is displaying a witch trial in a Disney park, but to be fair Mr. Toad sent you to hell at the end, and Alien Encounter made you watch a maintenance man get brutally killed by the alien and then stimulated his remains splattering onto you, plus it's kind of the point since this is supposed to be the counterpart to Phantom Manor, so I'll let it slide.

Creativity - 10/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 9/10
Presentation - 7/10
OVERALL SCORE - 35/40
I generally like the idea of this attraction, however, I am quite curious on how the ride system operates with the boat and rollercoaster transition. It sounds like such a cool system and I wouldn't mind if you added a section focusing on the mechanics of the ride along with it. I do like most of the creative choices you made with how the villains interact with the guests and how they fight back. However, I feel as if the write out could use more detail.

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 7/10
Presentation - 6/10
OVERALL SCORE - 31/40
I just want to say how I love how creative you were when choosing the themes for the attractions you created for this area, with mentions of Star Command, Toy Story That Time Forgot, and Toy Story Four for your respective attractions which is very refreshing compared to how Toy Story attractions throughout the park usually just stick around Toy Story 1-3. I'm not entirely sure how the water elements tie into That Time Forgot though, it would've probably worked better with Hawaiian Vacation, though I still like it. Once again, more detail would be appreciated but you're doing a great job so far!

Creativity - 9/10
Realism - 9/10
Detail - 7/10
Presentation - 7/19
OVERALL SCORE - 32/40
I think this is overall a very solid attraction that I think could be a good replacement for Toy Story Mania in Hollywood Studios given that it doesn't contrast against Toy Story Land too much. While there seems to be a bit of an inconsistency between whether the main threat is a virus or a Cybug invasion similar to the one from the movie, it's overall still a very small nitpick and doesn't detract from the ride overall. It's a very high quality attraction that I could see Disney opening up and I can't wait to see what you continue to do in the future!

Realism: 9/10
Detail: 9/10
Presentation: 7/10
OVERALL SCORE - 34/10
I'm extremely happy that you decided to go all out onto your presentation seeing that it's one of your biggest strengths as an Imagineer and what can I say but it's extremely pretty? While this ride doesn't feel too complete, you did acknowledge that and it's not like the Crystal Grotto where it's void of anything to really see. While once again like some of the others, I feel like you could have put more detail into the writing aspects of the project, but the aesthetic purposes help make up for that.

Detail: 7/10
OVERALL SCORE - 34/10
And now for my favorite attraction out of all the currently existing ones, the Grizzly Family Vacation. It's a fairly simple ride that doesn't take up too much space while still majorly helping California Adventure as California Adventure could really need an original E-Ticket not currently in the other parks similarly to Grizzly River Run. It's a very simple plot that plays around with some very typical character archetypes but it's so over the top in it's plot that I can't help but love it. I mean the entire plot is basically a bear almost drowning a whole family by launching them off a waterfall because they disobeyed park regulations. Yet at the same time I unironically think it's a extremely cool yet cute attraction with Cranium Command type humor.

Creativity: 10/10
Detail: 9/10
OVERALL SCORE - 37/10

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Where and when can we listen to the Podcast?

Here's the direct link to the podcast. We'll be going live tonight at 9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific

QotD: What is your favorite type of Imagineering project? What kind of prompt makes your mind go into overdrive?

For me it's probably gotta be dark rides. I really enjoy the challenge of taking a story and making it work in ride format without it coming across like a book report but also while conveying the spirit of the IP you're drawing from. It's a fascinating balancing act that I have a lot of fun trying to conquer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom