So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 17: The International Edition

spacemt354

Chili's
Yes, I've been talking with several people throughout the day about the best options moving forward and this seems like the best plan going forward for everyone. We'd have an even number of people on both teams and at the very least be in the double digits. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning to officially post the first project, but as it stands now we'll move forward with the ten person cast.

Final cast roster.

Team China
1. @FireMountain
2. @DSquared
3. @Snoopy
4. @Magic Feather
5. @spacemt354

Team Tokyo
1. @Pionmycake
2. @DisneyFan18
3. @D Hindley
4. @mickeyfan5534
5. @DisneyManOne

Because of the reduced number of players, the first project as well as at least one other project going forward will be non elimination. This is going to be an interesting twist in doing a "boutique" season of the game. We haven't had this small of a cast since Season Six, but that ended up being one of my all time favorite seasons so with any luck we'll be able to strike gold here as well.
I think it's a good lesson to be learned that - for the future, if there are two big competitions before the summer, then it might be best to specifically plan on a small scale competition, or in advance, plan around new players in the game. Because as I was mentioning before, for many people they've been playing since January and might need a break or have work in the summer. To sign up again for what for all intents and purposes is a multi-month commitment can seem daunting. I'd rather see a small group of dedicated folks than worrying about a large group of people to fill a certain quota. The quota doesn't make the competition, it's the quality of commitment involved

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Due to the reduced size of the cast, we've decided to cut a couple projects from the roster as well as swap the order of projects around ab it. The game will now play out with eight regular rounds followed by a semi finals and final project. For this reason the order of projects won't match up with what we were advertising during the pre-game. With that in mind...

Project One: Attack of the Clones
Attack-of-the-Clones.jpg

Clones are for many a necessary evil when it comes to Disney parks. While many are excited for the Tron coaster to hit Magic Kingdom, there's a good number of people who'd much rather see an original, non-IP based attraction go into Tomorrowland. The interesting thing with clones as I experienced during my first WDW trip, is that there's always going to be inherent differences between the versions, no matter how small. It's impossible to replicate something inch by inch, so small things like walking UP Big Thunder Mountain at the start of the WDW queue become major changes when you grew up with the Disneyland version. For this project were going to put the idea of clones to the test and you'll have to be as creative as possible with the concept of cloning an attraction. I now introduce to you this season's first group of tiers! You'll be working with one of the Disney parks in the country your team represents to complete one of the following.

Tier One: Clone a modern day attraction from another resort into one of your parks. (zero bonus points)

Tier Two: Clone an attraction into one of your parks that's over 20 years old. (2 bonus points)

Tier Three: Clone an attraction into one of your parks that's at least 10 years old and only currently exists in only one park (3 bonus points)

Due to the reduced cast size, I'm going away with the idea of Team Leaders and instead going the more traditional route of having project leaders which the team will decide on each round. Project leaders will oversee the brainstorming, post the project, and nominate two people for elimination each round. With that being said this first round will be NON ELIMINATION so the project leader for this first prompt won't have to worry about the nomination side of things.

As a reminder, here is the grading scale the game uses...

Creativity: /10 (how outside the box and original is your idea?)
Realism: /10 (a mix of does it fit into its location, are the effects feasible, and would the company actually invest the money)
Detail: /10 (Speaks for itself)
Presentation: /10 (How professional looking is your finished product and what have you done besides simple text to spruce it up)
Group Work: /10 (How well did your team work together, and did every member have something to contribute?)
Total: /50

For this round we'll just be doing a practice project on a simple prompt. Eliminations start next round. Good luck team, projects are due Saturday, July 7th at 11:59PM Eastern.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Unfortunately, out of the gate we've lost our first player in @DisneyFan18 to a busy school schedule. This leaves four players on Team Tokyo and five on Team China. Were going to go ahead and play this round out as is with the teams in tact and see what happens. I'm close to switching to the season 16 format of having individual projects and a leaderboard determining the winner so we don't have to be as concerned with drop outs, but I'm willing to give the team format one more chance. If we get another drop out any time soon unfortunately I'm not going to have a choice but to go back to the individual leaderboard format.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Due to the reduced size of the cast, we've decided to cut a couple projects from the roster as well as swap the order of projects around ab it. The game will now play out with eight regular rounds followed by a semi finals and final project. For this reason the order of projects won't match up with what we were advertising during the pre-game. With that in mind...

Project One: Attack of the Clones
Attack-of-the-Clones.jpg

Clones are for many a necessary evil when it comes to Disney parks. While many are excited for the Tron coaster to hit Magic Kingdom, there's a good number of people who'd much rather see an original, non-IP based attraction go into Tomorrowland. The interesting thing with clones as I experienced during my first WDW trip, is that there's always going to be inherent differences between the versions, no matter how small. It's impossible to replicate something inch by inch, so small things like walking UP Big Thunder Mountain at the start of the WDW queue become major changes when you grew up with the Disneyland version. For this project were going to put the idea of clones to the test and you'll have to be as creative as possible with the concept of cloning an attraction. I now introduce to you this season's first group of tiers! You'll be working with one of the Disney parks in the country your team represents to complete one of the following.

Tier One: Clone a modern day attraction from another resort into one of your parks. (zero bonus points)

Tier Two: Clone an attraction into one of your parks that's over 20 years old. (2 bonus points)

Tier Three: Clone an attraction into one of your parks that's at least 10 years old and only currently exists in only one park (3 bonus points)

Due to the reduced cast size, I'm going away with the idea of Team Leaders and instead going the more traditional route of having project leaders which the team will decide on each round. Project leaders will oversee the brainstorming, post the project, and nominate two people for elimination each round. With that being said this first round will be NON ELIMINATION so the project leader for this first prompt won't have to worry about the nomination side of things.

As a reminder, here is the grading scale the game uses...

Creativity: /10 (how outside the box and original is your idea?)
Realism: /10 (a mix of does it fit into its location, are the effects feasible, and would the company actually invest the money)
Detail: /10 (Speaks for itself)
Presentation: /10 (How professional looking is your finished product and what have you done besides simple text to spruce it up)
Group Work: /10 (How well did your team work together, and did every member have something to contribute?)
Total: /50

For this round we'll just be doing a practice project on a simple prompt. Eliminations start next round. Good luck team, projects are due Saturday, July 7th at 11:59PM Eastern.

Team Tokyo proudly presents our first project:

Journey into Imagination Coming to Tomorrowland in Tokyo Disneyland
download (2).jpeg

FireMountain

vid402.jpg

Introduction
Journey to the Center of the Earth is a legendary story of adventure and wonder in the Icelandic wilderness and into the fiery depths of an active volcano holding the entrance to the mysterious world beneath us, full of mystical creatures and luscious surroundings. The story of expedition was told brilliantly by Jules Verne, and perfectly replicated by the ride of the same name in Tokyo DisneySea. In the late 19th Century, Professor Otto Lidenbrock led an expedition, along with the help of his nephew Axel, their guide Hans, and others, to the depths of an Icelandic volcano, to locate a way to the center of the earth. Their expedition led to little result, as they had to escape the volcano due to it's activity. Now, we pick up where the explorers left off, to better explore the volcano and learn the secrets of the earth. Hong Kong Disneyland, similarly to DisneySea, has had a history of integrating immersive storytelling with local cultural elements, in order to create a unique experience found nowhere else in the world. Journey to The Center of the Earth and it's surroundings will continue this tradition by bringing together Icelandic environments, French literature, and Chinese culture to create a new reimagining of the classic attraction.

Why did we choose this attraction to clone?
One of the most popular attractions in Tokyo DisneySea, Journey to the Center of the Earth had long be coveted by other theme parks around the world to be cloned throughout the years. With Hong Kong's expansion plans, and need for a high capacity E-Ticket such as Journey, we believed that a clone of this attraction, modified a bit for its surroundings, would fit in naturally as an extension of Adventureland in Hong Kong Disneyland.

We also felt, the theme of the attraction, inspired by the Jules Verne novel, evokes a sense of imagination that could be told in a multitude of ways. A clone of this attraction doesn't necessarily have to be told in the same vein as it is in Tokyo DisneySea. It could explore more of Verne's novel, the imagery and descriptions from it, as well as the beauty and terror of a 'world within our world'.

With Grizzly Gulch above it, the attraction is nestled cozy in one of the expansion pads remaining at Hong Kong Disneyland. It should be noted, that for this project, we have set the approximate opening day in the mid-2020s, after Hong Kong's scheduled expansions such as the improved Castle, are complete. Bringing over Journey is a 'Phase 2' of sorts for the park as it reaches its 20th birthday celebration. As you can see on the map below, the pathway from Adventureland now extends further into an Icelandic forest, with the volcanic mountain perched on the horizon beyond.

0000000.2.jpg

Facade
As you approach the new area, you notice a towering volcano, one of the parks most important sites, Mount Prometheus. You see every slope, every crack, and the smoke rising from the peak. The volcano will not be the same size as it's Tokyo DisneySea counterpart, it will be much smaller. However, it will seem larger than the Tokyo version, this will be done using Forced Perspective. And as you approach the volcano, a rock stands in front of it, with words carved in it. These words are the attraction's title "Journey to the Center of the Earth."

'
250px-Journey_to_the_Center_of_the_Earth_Ride.jpg

前往地球中心​

Ride Vehicles
The ride vehicles won't change much in design from the Tokyo version. However, there will now be 4 rows of 2 instead of the original, which had 3 rows of 2.

Queue
Leaving the overgrown paths of Adventureland you transition into an extension of the exploration paths but wander among tall Icelandic trees that hover over an ominous yet intriguing volcanic mountain range in the distance. You careen around foliage that becomes less dense as you approach the rock formation further, denoting past episodes of ash and volcanic activity that have eroded the plantlife away. Mechanical architecture and be seen to your right-hand side, a steampunk style of design, illustrating the less than contemporary travelers to this place. Explorers for decades have tried their hands at what you are about to encounter.

As you proceed towards the side of the mountain, you meander through various switchbacks as the queue has been designed to hold up to a 5-hour wait within its boundaries. Among the switchbacks, you continue to get a good look at the 95 foot tall forced perspective Volcano in the distance along with the surrounding mountain range. Bellowing lava and steam flow out of the top of the mountain as if sending out a warning side to intruders that you don't know what you're getting into.

Inside the mountain is an abandoned outpost and mining shaft, with several rail lines and other inactive generators and utility shafts once occupied by workers, potentially trying to find a way towards the center of the earth. The mining activity had archives of Verne's work scattered on the walls with codes and deciphered materials trying to uncover the secret of the novel, and if the stories they were told were actually real. Continuing further you reach a 'hydrolator' type mining elevator that takes you down to organically manufactured mining drills that can be activated by those looking to pursue the unknown still. While the miners have all but given up, explorers throughout the ages have attempted to reach the center, some returning, others... never to be seen again. After these warning signals and the elevator drops you off at the drilling floor, you proceed to your vehicles.

Attraction Synopsis

e431ab17c081927f549c08bb8863dd81.jpg

As you begin your journey the ride vehicles disembark and are transitioned into a luminescent cave of colorful crystals covered in magnesium rock formations, with a faint warm mist rising from the volcanic underground.

68886a675123b1f74c71d34a38e7cd3e.jpg

A fanciful Buddy Baker soundtrack permeates the surroundings and guides you forward on your mystical quest to the center of the earth. As the walls around you become darker, and the crystals glow more brightly, you begin to hear the rumblings of the volcanic activity miles below. The vehicle begins to ascend through the cave as the mist becomes more dense and the sound of rushing water overcomes you as you see a magnificent water fall in front of you, before diving down 'thousands of miles' through a volcanic tube towards the center of the earth.

0_JTCE_raph.jpg

Once the vehicles are slowed, you enter into a magnificent world within the world. A tropical oasis beneath the surface of the earth, and a journey of discovery that is once in a lifetime. As the vehicles pass by oscillating fluorescent foliage and exit the crystal cave, a sprawling forest of towering mushrooms and flowing water awaits. The musical score is elevated to denote this transcendent moment in the attraction. Animatronic plants and even small creatures feasting on the plant life turn to look at your vehicle as you pass by. Everything looks peaceful and tranquil. You flow towards another massive waterfall that appears as if it has a rainbow quality to it. You see a luminescent gas combination in the sky above you, surrounding you and your vehicle with a crisp orange/yellow glow around the scene.

journey_to_the_center_of_the_earth_by_rou_g-d52av9u.jpg

Further throughout this world, extinct animals and dinosaurs roam freely in this untamed jungle paradise, and sea serpents rise from the tides out in the distance. This is a place built on imagination that you have to see to believe. A place of wonder that cannot be matched on earth.

As you traverse forward though, the center of the earth transitions from a peaceful place, to one of unbeknownst fear. Sounds of cackling vibrations echo in the distance. Swirling dry wind blows the tropical trees in the distance. And a loud pre-historic roar can be heard with the crack of lightning, turning the sky from an orange hue to a stormy dark gray.

bio_cave_by_josheiten-d5w5lne.jpg

Your vehicles speed up, around curves and plant life, racing towards an escape tube back up to the surface. You meander through plants and other creatures navigating your way back. Warning lights and symbols go off on your vehicle, alerting you of impending danger as you take shelter in a cave. Diving into the cave, the ride vehicles slow and move forward through another luminescent rock structure. This appears to be your escape back to the surface, riding a volcanic tube up to the surface as the volcano erupts. Nevertheless, that prehistoric roar you hear from before now sounds even louder, as you've entered the monster's cave.

tds%2Blava%2Bmonster.png

Creeping forward the vehicle becomes stuck in a muddy substance, stopping all progress as more volcanic activity can be felt below the surface. The volcano is about to burst and you might miss your trip back up to the surface. To the right hand side, a monstrous creature appears in a large scale animatronic form, and bellows at the guests, spraying everywhere in the process. The vehicle tires spin and escape the clutches of the mud before the monster lunges at the guests. The vehicle speeds up and races towards the tube, catching the eruption at the perfect time, as the twists and turns stop and you launch back up to the surface.

Once you are safe, your vehicles slow, the racing water subsides, and you return to the outpost unloading dock having experienced the journey of a lifetime.

Exit Queue
When your journey has ended, you walk through a dark corridor, only lit by the lamps on the ceiling, at the end of the corridor is a shop named Steamtron's Emporium run by a steam-powered animatronic named Steamtron. This shop sells T-Shirts and Mugs with the Journey to the Center of the Earth logo and Mount Prometheus, and toys of the creatures you encountered. And at the center of the shop is Steamtron himself, cracking jokes and talking to the shoppers. His creator, Dr. Johnathan Build, shows up to the shop occasionally to see how his creation is running the shop. And off to the side of the shop is a small counter-service restaurant named Steamtron's Cuisine, which sells European food.

Conclusion
This clone of the iconic Tokyo version will be sure to be a hit with audiences. Taking parts of the Tokyo version and improving on them with new life. As well as creating an all new, immersive area with fun, new characters. This Journey is sure to be unforgettable.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Big thanks to both teams for completing the projects on time. Apologies for the slight delay, I'm reading them over right now and will be posting my thoughts soon followed by the second prompt. Because everyone managed to turn something in I'm going to continue with the team-based format at least through the next two projects. In the meantime here's Ace's feedback...

Team Tokyo

Creativity: 8/10 - I think it was a very creative project in the sense of a classic EPCOT attraction was cloned to Tomorrowland, but it was the obvious one in Horizons. I think you kept

Realism: 8/10 - I think this was a risky choice, but out of any of the projects your team discussed, I feel like this one was a great choice. If anyone was going to bring back that original masterpiece, I feel like it’d be the OLC.

Detail: 7/10 - Loved the detail of the intro and restaurant. Felt more details of what was changing would have been helpful plus some sort of “true” conclusion would have been nice.

Presentation: 7/10 - This is where I felt the project struggled. While I was quite a fan of the purple background with the yellow font on the Google doc, there were a plethora of errors that added up from the document being called “Untitled Document”, to various spelling/ grammar mistakes where it just needed to be read over once more.

Group Work: 6/10 - A lot of the team was on vacation this round so it’s not 100% accurate but there was not a lot of communication. I think if more communication happened, Pi wouldn’t have rushed to finish it today

Subtotal: 36/50

Final Thoughts: I thought this was a great idea but a little more teamwork and detail would have taken it from a good execution to a great execution of the idea. I am excited to see what Team Tokyo comes up with for Project 2 when everyone is back!

Bonus Points: +3
Total: 39/50

Team China

Creativity: 8/10 - I think this is a very creative clone. This is a very popular attraction in Tokyo Disney Sea and an attraction I definitely wouldn’t consider to clone.

Realism: 7/10 - While I think this attraction isn’t the most realistic of being cloned due to OLC owning the idea, but the land/ park you chose is extremely realistic. It is considered one of the weaker Disney parks so bringing an iconic E-ticket attraction like this is very realistic.

Detail: 8/10 - There was a good amount of details/ pictures throughout this project to know exactly how it’d all look. There were various parts (Ride Vehicles, Exit Queue, and Conclusion) where I would’ve liked a little more, but overall I enjoyed it.

Presentation: 7/10 - While nothing fancy with just a forum post, it all made sense and no major errors/ mistakes that I noticed to make it flow quite nicely.

Group Work: 5/10 - This is where this team struggled. This was basically Space’s project. Everyone followed Space without coming up with any ideas and then Space made most of it. I know there were some unforeseen circumstances that happened with this project, but I think more communication would’ve helped a lot.

Subtotal: 35/50

Final Thoughts: I enjoyed the idea of the project and location, but the lack of teamwork really brought the project down. Now that we have project 1 behind us, I can’t wait to see what you all come up with for the next project!

Total: 38/50

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Team Tokyo

Great effort given the circumstances this round, with one person dropping out and several others being on vacation! You managed to create some artwork that while not mindblowing definitely goes a long way towards your presentation points, as does framing the proposal as a doc. Unfortunately, I think where the project falls flat is in the detail department. This is an attraction that has virtually limitless potential for new set pieces so it was disappointing to see this team using a video of the original attraction as a crutch and saying that not a lot has changed beyond that aside from Dreamfinder's appearance and a few key other details. The stuff outside the attraction is fine but you would have been better served fleshing out your actual attraction. As it stands now I'm impressed by the fact that this came together as good as it did, but there's definitely some holes here that could be filled out for a more complete project.

Creativity: 7/10 - Good idea moving this into Tomorrowland, I just needed a lot more from the actual ride.
Realism: 9/10 - Everything is pretty much on point
Detail: 6/10 - My critiques speak for themselves
Presentation: 8/10 - Good concept art and document layout.
Group Work: 8/10 - Given the circumstances I felt everyone had a role to play.
Total: 38/40

Team China

This was a fantastic proposal and a great jump-start to the season! With all due respect to Team Tokyo, this was exactly what I was wanting and hoping for from this prompt...right down to the selected attraction ironically enough, haha. Wonderful job on the detail and writing here. Describing the queue and forced perspective volcano really makes you feel like you're there. You do an excellent job summazing the importance of the attraction choice and why it can't just be plopped down anywhere. More importantly, the attraction itself works as a sequel to the original attraction while still maintaining most of the same set pieces and pacing. Yes, yes, all kinds of YES! I love all the subtle ways the scenes have been changed up, I love how the timeline in this is basically reacting to the events of the original, and I love how it still feels exactly like the original attraction yet different at the same time. This was a homerun!

Creativity: 9/10 - Wonderful job mixing the established mythology and iconic scenes with a new plot.
Realism: 8/10 - I had to take pause at a forced perspective 90 foot volcano even remotely FEELING as big as the original attraction, but it's a sacrifice that had to be made haha.
Detail: 8/10 - Very well written and thought out.
Presentation: 7/10 - Good reference photos but I have to give the edge to Team Tokyo for having original concept art.
Group Work: 10/10 - While there was a stretch where Space and Feather were basically playing brainstorming ping-pong, at the end of the day EVERYONE came together to contribute to this. That's what I like to see! Also apologies to @Snoopy for the time mix-up. You were right the game originally was going to start yesterday but we moved it up a week after we came to the conclusion the cast was pretty much set in stone.
Total: 42/50

Overall I'm definitely pleased with the results this round after a rocky casting process and a relatively messy launch of the actual game. I think we've got small but excellent and committed cast assembled and it's going to be a great season. As it stands, all nine people will advance to project two which will also be a non-elimination project. After the third project (which will also be most people's first taste of a research-based prompt...) the loosing team that round will have one member eliminated headed into the 1st individual portion of the season. Stay tuned for the second prompt!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Team Tokyo

Great effort given the circumstances this round, with one person dropping out and several others being on vacation! You managed to create some artwork that while not mindblowing definitely goes a long way towards your presentation points, as does framing the proposal as a doc. Unfortunately, I think where the project falls flat is in the detail department. This is an attraction that has virtually limitless potential for new set pieces so it was disappointing to see this team using a video of the original attraction as a crutch and saying that not a lot has changed beyond that aside from Dreamfinder's appearance and a few key other details. The stuff outside the attraction is fine but you would have been better served fleshing out your actual attraction. As it stands now I'm impressed by the fact that this came together as good as it did, but there's definitely some holes here that could be filled out for a more complete project.

Creativity: 7/10 - Good idea moving this into Tomorrowland, I just needed a lot more from the actual ride.
Realism: 9/10 - Everything is pretty much on point
Detail: 6/10 - My critiques speak for themselves
Presentation: 8/10 - Good concept art and document layout.
Group Work: 8/10 - Given the circumstances I felt everyone had a role to play.
Total: 38/40

Team China

This was a fantastic proposal and a great jump-start to the season! With all due respect to Team Tokyo, this was exactly what I was wanting and hoping for from this prompt...right down to the selected attraction ironically enough, haha. Wonderful job on the detail and writing here. Describing the queue and forced perspective volcano really makes you feel like you're there. You do an excellent job summazing the importance of the attraction choice and why it can't just be plopped down anywhere. More importantly, the attraction itself works as a sequel to the original attraction while still maintaining most of the same set pieces and pacing. Yes, yes, all kinds of YES! I love all the subtle ways the scenes have been changed up, I love how the timeline in this is basically reacting to the events of the original, and I love how it still feels exactly like the original attraction yet different at the same time. This was a homerun!

Creativity: 9/10 - Wonderful job mixing the established mythology and iconic scenes with a new plot.
Realism: 8/10 - I had to take pause at a forced perspective 90 foot volcano even remotely FEELING as big as the original attraction, but it's a sacrifice that had to be made haha.
Detail: 8/10 - Very well written and thought out.
Presentation: 7/10 - Good reference photos but I have to give the edge to Team Tokyo for having original concept art.
Group Work: 10/10 - While there was a stretch where Space and Feather were basically playing brainstorming ping-pong, at the end of the day EVERYONE came together to contribute to this. That's what I like to see! Also apologies to @Snoopy for the time mix-up. You were right the game originally was going to start yesterday but we moved it up a week after we came to the conclusion the cast was pretty much set in stone.
Total: 42/50

Overall I'm definitely pleased with the results this round after a rocky casting process and a relatively messy launch of the actual game. I think we've got small but excellent and committed cast assembled and it's going to be a great season. As it stands, all nine people will advance to project two which will also be a non-elimination project. After the third project (which will also be most people's first taste of a research-based prompt...) the loosing team that round will have one member eliminated headed into the 1st individual portion of the season. Stay tuned for the second prompt!

Crap, totally forgot the bonus points :p

Final totals...
Team Tokyo: 41/50
Team China: 45/50

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Project Two: Cruising for Culture
San-Angel.jpg

For this project we'll be taking a look at the San Angel Inn at Epcot...a dining location with a TON of potential but held back by notoriously poor prep work on the actual food. Regardless of quality, San Angel is an Epcot icon in much the same way the Blue Bayou is at Disneyland. A fan-favorite thing for Disney attractions to do that rarely actually happens is combining a table service location into the literal environment of an attraction. Blue Bayou and San Angel Inn are spiritual cousins in this regard, but I can't think of many other locations that do this. For this project, you'll be focusing on both the attraction and the restaurant. Your goal is to create a cultural boat ride along with a table service dining location directly connected to it.

Tier One: Create a dining experience and boat ride based on the culture of the country your team represents and using an IP (0 points)
Tier Two: Create a dining experience and boat ride based on another country's culture using an IP (1 bonus point)
Tier Three: Create a dining experience and boat ride based on your country's culture and NOT using an IP (2 bonus points)
Tier Four: Create a dining experience and boat ride based on another country's culture and NOT using an IP (3 bonus points)

Again, this is another non-elimination round. Your progress in both the first two rounds along with the third project will help determine who moves on to the season's first individual stretch of projects. Good luck teams. This project is due Saturday, July 14th at 11:59PM Eastern.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
vid402.5.jpg

vid409.jpg

Introduction
Since the 1964/65 World's Fair in Flushing Meadows, New York - it's a small world, originally designed for the UNICEF Pavilion, has been dazzling guests as a slow moving boat cruise around the world, with the simple message of a prayer for world peace. Flash forward to the present day, and it's a small world has been included or added to almost every single Disney Resort around the world, from Disneyland in California to Hong Kong Disneyland. The only resort it hasn't been added to is the Shanghai Disneyland Resort - until now.

Added to the Gardens of Imagination hub land near another Mary Blair artistic property of Dumbo, this classic attraction will take inspiration from its original stylistic interpretations, however be presented for a contemporary audience with a novel guide and tied in restaurant that makes this small world family, just a little bit bigger.

Attraction Location
Gardens of Imagination
vid407.JPG

vid408.jpg
Our intentions with this attraction were twofold. First, it's a small world has been an established attraction over time, that through each iteration has a unique flair that separates it from its predecessor. With the opportunity for expansion space at Shanghai Disneyland, and the need for a high-capacity E-Ticket type attraction on its left side, especially in the Gardens of Imagination, it's a small world felt like the perfect attraction capable of filling the requirements that the prompt called for.
windows_smallworld_ride.jpg
Secondly, we wanted to have an attraction that enabled us to include an adjacent restaurant that would blend in with the theme of the attraction. In Walt Disney World's version of the attraction, Pinocchio's Village Haus sits adjacent to the loading dock as the boats round the corner and into the first show scene of European nations. The connection between the restaurant and the boat ride adds a kinetic energy to the inception of the ride, and gives a nice view from the restaurant of the attraction. For Shanghai Disneyland, we wanted to take that concept, and 'plus' it - adding not just a Bavarian quick-service restaurant, but a full buffet of global cuisine all situated within the attraction walls.

The World Plaza will be a signature restaurant option of Shanghai Disneyland and a cornerstone of the attraction. The restaurant will be situated on the top floor of the show building, as guests will be able to look down at the happiest cruise around the world, seeing the boats sail through the international set pieces.
animate-bird-slide-24.jpg

Compass - the 'little' guide of Shanghai Disneyland's it's a small world
Moreover, to differentiate the attraction from its other counterparts, the attraction will be reorganized and retooled in its approach. While it will still maintain the classic artistic style of its predecessors, the emphasis of the cultures will focus mainly on East Asian, South Pacific, and European nations - with subtle scenes for the Americas. There will also be a main character of the attraction, a colorful bird named Compass, who sails around with you, guiding the cruise ships through the different scenes of the attraction. Much like Duffy, and other original Asian park characters, Compass will be a new symbol of Shanghai Disneyland, and provide it's a small world with a merchandise option that it never had before.

Facade and Queue
full
Once you approach the Gardens of Imagination, you look to the left, and you spot the Facade for It's A Small World. You see a wide variety of different colors. Spanning the entire color wheel; yellow, green, blue, violet, red, and orange. The colorful facade has a few set pieces, which are iconic world landmarks. Such as a the Eiffel Tower, the Taj Mahal, The Leaning Tower of Pisa, the Statue of Liberty, and the iconic clock tower, with artificial clouds flying above (with a hidden Mickey in there). And with every 5 minutes, a marching band of dolls come out of the clock tower to play trumpets, tubas, and flutes. And in front of all of this there is a sign, that states the attractions name, and well as the words: "the happiest cruise that ever sailed"

The queue meanders through well groomed shrubbery and topiary elements that add an overall green aesthetic to the exterior of the attraction, inviting guests into a naturalistic interpretation of the attraction. Walking through a maze-like setting to approach the boat dock, with the quintessential instrumental Sherman Brothers song in the background, creates an ornate atmosphere of whimsy and wonder before boarding the attraction.
Screenshot%2B%2528172%2529.png

Ride Vehicles
The ride vehicles in this version will be adjusted to look like a boat. With a sail on the end, as well as a long front, with the It's A Small World logo on it. Of course, there will also be a vehicle for those in a wheelchair.

Attraction Synopsis
The boat departs the dock and sails off around a bend. You see coin droppings in the water as a symbol of wish making, and Compass flapping his wings in the top right corner of a bridge you're about to sail under - transitioning from the load area into the show building. You pass under Compass as he leads you to the South Pacific - a sprawling oasis of tropical and exotic nations, as dozens of animatronic dolls from Polynesia, Australia, New Guinea, and others dance and sing-along with the Sherman Brothers song. Typically in the American versions, this is one of the final scenes, but in the Shanghai edition the South Pacific is one of the first that transitions us north into the Asian proper nations.
Screenshot%2B%2528171%2529.png

As you proceed further through the attraction your cruise sails north into China, one of the largest show scenes in the entire attraction, this boasts approximately 32 animatronic dolls that all do an eclectic variety of dances and motions that depict Chinese culture, through farming, sculpting, artistry, and more. Going further toward Mongolia, Japan, South Korea, and Russia, we see a transition from the sunny skies, to snowy peaks of the northern Asian nations, a snow capped territory not seen much in it's a small world. After visiting that and transitioning back towards the Middle East you then pass through Iran, and other nations, including some in the continents of Africa, such as Egypt - with the towering pyramids transition you to a larger Egyptian show scene

You then pass through gates that look like they are out of Agrabah - and meander towards Europe.
Screenshot%2B%2528174%2529.png

The European nations bring about a wide variety of architectural designs from France, to Germany to Scandinavia, and UK - all maintaining their cultural identities while adapting their cultural sounds to the music of it's a small world, providing a seamless transition between each of the nations - promoting that prayer for peace the attraction is famous for.

After that you approach the Americas, with South American nations of Brazil and Peru on display, as well as Mexico, the USA, and Canada, all with their pastimes on display through the audio-animatronic dolls.

In the finale scene, instead of the white background that typically is put on display, Compass guides you towards a colorful array of all the nations together, symbolizing world peace. This finale scene is actually the backside of the main exterior facade, painting different and representing each of the nations displayed throughout the attraction - a symbol of what we can do if we work together.
Screenshot%2B%2528173%2529.png

The attraction then turns and heads back towards the unloading dock where guests have the option to cross upstairs into the restaurant (which has another private entrance without riding the attraction) or they can exit the boats and head towards the gift shop, selling it's a small world merchandise and other memorabilia of Shanghai Disneyland.

vid411.jpg

Buffet-Style Table Service Restaurant within it's a small world

Pricing Chart
Adult 270.00 CNY (Chinese Yuan) approx $40 per adult
Child (age 3-9) 200.00 CNY approx $30 per child

Sample Menu Items

Africa:
-Vegetarian doro wat
-Caeroonian fried spinach
-Tastira
-Couscous
-Tomato bredie
-Bobotie
-Tikil gomen
-Peanut stew

Asia
-Bibimbap
-Sukiyaki
-Pancit
-Pho
-Tandoori chicken
-Lumpia
-Banh Mi
-Xiao long bao

Australia
-Smoked emu
-Damper bread
-Pea and ham soup
-Barbecue snags
-SAO biscuit
-Barramundi
-Fried crocodile
-Chiko rolls

Europe
-Borscht
-Pierogi
-Banitsa
-Bangers and mash
-Chicken scallopini
-Tortilla de patata
-Golabki
-Dill Pickle soup

North America
-Tourtiere
-Hoisin glazed salmon
-Ontario partridge
-Buttermilk fried chicken
-Gumbo
-Clam chowder
-Shrimp and grits
-Cranberry pork chops

South America
-Brazilian fish stew
-Pork and black beans
-Canja
-Lomo saltado
-Aji de gallina
-Arroz tapado
-Pastel de papas
-Chimichurri steak

Antarctica
-Victoria sponge cake
-Pavlova
-Boston creme pie
-Nanaimo bars
-Chocolate black tea cake
-Pulla
-Apple cobbler
-Shortbread

DisneyManOne

Team Tokyo Project 2
The Legend of Harald Fairhair at Tokyo DisneySea

15412872135_cb797940ba_b.jpg

1748794275_7f8398c012_z.jpg

For this project, we chose to honor the culture of Norway through a Tier Four project; and in order to celebrate Norway, we have created a new port at Tokyo DisneySea: Viking's Vale. Accessed in-between Arabian Coast and the shores of Arendelle, Viking's Vale brings to life the old seafaring days of Scandinavia, when Vikings ruled the waters.

Vikings Vale.png

It's a rather small port, but that's because the experiences we've created will more than make up for it. Set within the hills and valleys of this vale is our main attraction, based upon the legend of Harald Fairhair. In case you don't know, Harald Fairhair was a Viking warrior, noted for unifying several Viking tribes and becoming the first Viking King of Norway. What's so amazing about his story though, isn't what he achieved, but why he did so. His motivations for doing so weren't born of power or born of greed. No, his motivations for doing so were born of love. Harald was head-over-heels in love with a Viking princess named Gyda, and she only agreed to marry him if he became king over all the Viking tribes of Norway. So, to prove his love, he began an expedition to unite the tribes of Noway into a single kingdom, and until that task was accomplished, vowed not to cut nor comb his hair.

In the grand style of Sindbad's Storybook Voyage, we are going to take guests through this legend...but with a Disney twist, of course.

For this attraction, we've decided to use the "magnetic boat" system, as used in one of the crown jewels of Shanghai Disneyland, Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure. With a Viking voyage as epic as the legend foretells, why not use it to its potential?

The facade is through the hull of an old, abandoned Viking ship. Passing through a labyrinth of wooden beams, we discover countless amounts of Viking treasure; some of it interactive.

6f6c282c6c50d9be30199d6a66cdaba4--art-viking-viking-ship.jpg

Until at last, we come to the loading dock, depicting the fjords of Scandinavia, the sky blazing red with the morning sunrise. There, we find our own Viking ships, ready to take us on the journey.

areredskiesa.jpg

a4ed0a72a317296a3950f7c3b08f3e93--disney-nerd-disney-theme.jpg

As we depart from the dock, we sail off through the mysterious morning mist. Using a clever visual effect, it feels as though the sky we saw at the dock is continuing on as we sail forth. Tranquil music plays. Suddenly, our boat veers off-course, and towards a mysterious fjord. Our ship bucks and spins around and around, ultimately plunging down a waterfall...and doing so backwards, might I add...and into a frozen abyss. Our boat slides along the ice, occasionally putting cracks into it.

6O2C9549.jpg

mammal_polar_bear_cubs_fighting_alaska_michael_henry_600x300.ashx

Suddenly, low growls fill our ears. We've trespassed into polar bear country, and they don't take kindly to strangers. Using lifelike animatronics, these bears study us, wary of our presence. One mighty one raises its paws to strike...only to be thwarted by Harald Fairhair, legendary Viking hero. A great battle ensues, and we're caught in the action! Spinning around an impressive animatronic sequence, we watch Harald do battle with one of nature's mightiest beasts. Until at last, we see Harald, now with the bear on a leash (hey, this is Disney), head off into the forest.

After meandering through the trees, we see Harald stand before Viking princess Gyda. We stop to take in the scene. "Here, your most Royal Highness", he is saying, "is a gift the likes of which no one has ever seen. I have tamed one of nature's mightiest beasts so that I may win your favor." "Harald", says Gyda, "is this another attempt to get me to marry you?" Abashed, Harald blushes and nods. "I can't help it, Gyda. You are the most beautiful maid in the world. Men would do practically anything to have you to wife. Even I am not immune."

"Very well, Harald. You truly love me, then?"

"More than anything."

"Then, how about this. There are thousands of tribes in this world, most of them foes. If you can somehow bring them all together into one nation--with you as their king--then I shall marry you."

"I'll gladly do so! And to further demonstrate my love and determination for you, I shall not cut a single strand of hair until I complete the task!"

"So let it be done. Now, go forth, and complete this mighty task!"

As we depart the forest, we see Harald sailing off on his ship, standing on the mast, sword raised high, a determined look on his face. The quest has begun!

We sail through a dark forest of trees, seeing a group of glowing eyes threatening us through the dark trees. We round a bend and see fierce creatures, possibly trolls and possibly vikings, although there are several hints throughout the scene that point to both. We then see Harald fighting them off with the help of his pet bear. We hear the loud sound of a waterfall getting nearer and nearer and end up falling over it. After we splash down we see a Viking Chief or what possibly may be one of the many gods of the Norse people challenge Harald for entry to the gardens. Our boats stop and we see their conversation. "You, Harald Fairhair, shall never succeed in your challenge!" roars the challenger. "Nonsense!" Harald roars back. "With my own two hands, I shall be victorious!"

10_Facts_Viking_Warfare_4.jpg

With a swift blade movement, Harald is victorious for now and the Chief opens the gates to the gardens, filled with beautiful golden fruit and plants. We turn and see Harald standing on his bear's back trying to reach the highest apple. This particular apple is the Golden Apple: source of the Gods' immortality, and, when grasped by a mortal, bestows great power over the peoples of the Earth.

golden-apple-78a830ae-4972-4a5e-ac8f-346af909a71-resize-750.jpg

We continue back up a lift hill and see several animatronics preparing for a wedding, with tapestries behind them showing Harald returning the apple and uniting the tribes. From there, we arrive in the great halls of a Norwegian castle, currently home to the wedding feast, which also doubles as a buffet restaurant featuring amazing Norse fare. Those people we see are not animatronics, but actual, real-life people, enjoying a taste of Norway's vast culinary landscape.

r-1367857398-Akershus1.jpg

At the end of the room, out of sight of the buffet guests, animatronics gathered together talk to each other as Harald and Gyda wave on a bridge high above guests.

vikings-wedding-2-1014x570.jpg

Guests unload in a room holding the numerous presents from the viking kings and lords and exit into a gift shop that is themed to a viking treasure hoard.

Now, getting back to that restaurant, it's a beautiful place. Designed as the great dining hall of a Norwegian castle, decorated for an elaborate wedding, we are invited to celebrate the union of Harald and Gyda. Banners hang high above the walls, lanterns and candles provide a warm, welcoming environment, and we are all invited to join in the merriment. Occasionally, Norwegian folk dancers will perform in a giant Dance Circle in the center of the dining hall, oftentimes overseen by Harald and Gyda themselves. All in all, it's a really vibrant and fun place to enjoy dinner, and one of the highlights of any visit to Tokyo DisneySea!

Among the choices on the buffet table are Norwegian salads, Scandinavian seafood, meatballs, pork chops, chicken breast, roast potatoes, pasta, cheese, fruits, rolls; and for dessert, apple cake, chocolate cake, and other Norwegian delicacies.

Although a smaller addition to Tokyo DisneySea, Viking's Vale more than makes up for it with this elaborate new dark ride and a delicious new buffet. We hope you enjoyed our little tribute to Norway's history and culture; and we hope that it'll make your visit to Tokyo DisneySea even more memorable!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Thanks once again to both teams for completing the prompt, and I'd like to especially thank @spacemt354 for pushing for excellence and being a great guiding light this project. Before we get to my reviews, I have a couple announcements to make. Firstly, this will be Space's last round with us, and there's another person on Team Tokyo (not going to say who for privacy reasons) who may or may not be dropping due to family circumstances. For that reason, I've decided that the rest of the season will play out in the Season 16 bracket style. As much as I've enjoyed the team format returning, it's getting hard to justify having that format with so few people left in the cast.

From project three forward, all the prompts will be individual and EVERYONE will get to try their hand in them. This means that if someone like Voxel, KMB, Pixie Princess etc. who had to pass on playing in the season sees a prompt that strikes their interest they can complete it and get their creative juices flowing. In the sake of fairness though, only the six or seven people who competed in the first two rounds of team play will have a chance to claim the title of winner. Ace and I have to do another think-tank to figure out exactly how the bracket system will work (ie how many projects we go before cutting people) Speaking of Ace, we've had really bad luck with the podcast. I got called into work on my day off on Wednesday, and Ace was dealing with a work emergency yesterday. Rest assured the podcast is still going to happen with the first round covering the four projects that have come out of the team-based part of the season.

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
My scores

Team China
Creativity:
9/10
Realism: 9/10
Detail: 7.5/10
Presentation: 9/10
Group Work: 6/10
+1 bonus point
Total: 41/50

Team Tokyo
Creativity:
7/10
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 8/10
Presentation: 7/10
Group Work: 7/10
+3 bonus points
Total: 40/50

Ace's feedback

Team Tokyo

Creativity: 8/10 - I like the idea of a “modern take” of the Maelstrom. I think lots of guests miss it at EPCOT and this would be a proper predecessor (like Horizons to CoP)

Realism: 7/10 - I am not too sure how realistic this attraction is. In the area you are putting it is where the new TDS port is going so I don’t think there is room for this one. And if there is, that’d mean another boat ride in that area (with Sinbad being one and Frozen and Tangled of the new port rumoured to be one).

Detail: 9/10 - High detail with great storytelling. I knew exactly what to expect throughout the attraction. Including sample dialogue was a great detail that I think really immersed us into the attraction.

Presentation: 7/10 - A simple forum post this time but nothing wrong with that. I think the presentation complemented the project nicely without making it jarring (like the last one).

Group Work: 7/10 - Considering this project was completed by just the two of you, there was some great teamwork within that! I was happy with how well communication went back and forth on who was doing what.

Subtotal: 38/50

Final Thoughts: I thought this project was better than the first one as the team “clicked” together more. There was much better communication and now with the shift to individual projects, I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Total: 41/50

Team China

Creativity: 8/10 - I thought this was a very creative project. When thinking about a “cultural experience”, people focus on one culture only while here you look into little bits and pieces of lots of countries.

Realism: 9/10 - I thought this project was very realistic. When the idea first came up I was worried due to the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto boat ride attraction being so close but once I saw the details of where it was going, and why it fit there, I was no longer concerned. I think Shanghai Disneyland will eventually get a IASW attraction, and this is a great proposal for that.

Detail: 8/10 - Good detail throughout. Lots of great reference images to go off of including some custom art and planet coaster work!

One small thing was the space left for the transition to a “large Egyptian scene”. I was looking forward to that as an “Easter Egg” for the team and would’ve lead to a higher score here and in presentation.

Presentation: 7/10 - Another simple forum post but nothing wrong with that. It’s clean, well-organized, and no major mistakes that I noticed.

Group Work: 6/10 - I was really hopeful this round. I lot of early brainstorming that I thought was going to stay consistent the whole way through. Unfortunately, Space left for vacation and the team stopped. Almost nothing was done without him and everything was dropped when a new idea was brought to the table as nothing had been done.

Subtotal: 38/50
Bonus Points: +1

Final Thoughts: I think this was a good project, and better than your first one. I think a lot of people on the team had great ideas and just wish they’d “take command” more. I can’t wait to see everyone’s individual projects going forward!

Total: 40/50

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom