So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 17: The International Edition

Disney Dad 3000

In all honesty, I normally prefer the team based but I like both. I think several of the folks that have signed up only have done do because it's team based. I was thinking of applying for Tokyo bit haven't done so yet, just because I'm finishing up 6 months of comps, and been on vacation last 10 days but still leaning towards joining in a day when I'm back.

I know we all say this, but you can't take it personally. If you are iffy now about the comp, it may turn folks off. Yes, SA has been great with all the detail and stories, but I think space and red would agree it ultimately comes back to how much fun and challenge you let the competitors have and the projects that result. Every comp doesn't have to have that level of story, nor should it. Keep doing your thing with these comps, roll with the punches, and whatever happens, happens.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I can only speak for myself, but its not possible for me to compete following the Finale of SA. I'm working 100+ hour weeks, spending an annoying amount of time on the road for work and come late August I'll be on a Plane for Japan (something I'm still not done planning for).
I wish the competition and competitors all the luck.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
I can only speak for myself, but its not possible for me to compete following the Finale of SA. I'm working 100+ hour weeks, spending an annoying amount of time on the road for work and come late August I'll be on a Plane for Japan (something I'm still not done planning for).
I wish the competition and competitors all the luck.

For sure man, totally understandable and I hope my worry regarding the number of people signing up isn't making anyone in this sort of situation feel guilty about it, as I obviously always get that life comes first. It's more being in the shadow of SA3 that has me concerned but Space gave me a good analogy today over PM that kind of put my mind at ease of the whole thing...if SYWTBAI season 16 is Black Panther and SA3 is Infinity War, there's nothing wrong with this season being Ant-Man and The Wasp.

In all honesty, I normally prefer the team based but I like both. I think several of the folks that have signed up only have done do because it's team based. I was thinking of applying for Tokyo bit haven't done so yet, just because I'm finishing up 6 months of comps, and been on vacation last 10 days but still leaning towards joining in a day when I'm back.

I always end up doing this, haha. I'm pretty sure for the past four or five seasons in a row now I always end up getting wishy washy thinking the format is what's driving people away. I think you're right, the people who have signed up especially on Tokyo signed up specifically for the team stuff and I don't want to rob them of that experience. On the other hand, I think it's pretty clear that Team Paris as a whole is a bust. I'm basically going to have to force people on to that team, haha. For that reason, I think I'm going to cut Team Paris from the roster and focus on the two Asian locations for Disney parks (at least for the first few rounds ;) ) So I guess to meet in the middle here, the first few rounds will definitely be team-based, but after that I think I may make things a little bit more open ended.

@AceAstro and I are going to do a think-tank about this tomorrow, so I'll get back to you guys with an official announcement regarding the direction this season will take going forward. As it stands now unless either of the two people who signed up for Team Paris have any major objections I'm going to switch them over to Team China to balance things out a bit.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Has their even been a season with a reduced group of players?

Oh yes, but not for some time. Seasons 1-3 and season 5 all had only eight total players in it. Season 6 had 12 players, which is honestly why I'm aiming for that number currently though I'm more hoping for 14-16 players eventually so we have so insurance in case of no-shows (which is a more recent thing that's started to become more of a problem now that the board were being hosted on is much more fluid and active than VF was back in the day...)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@mickeyfan5534 @DisneyManOne do either of you mind Team Paris being dissolved and you guys being swapped over to Team China? At this point I really think the two of your are the only ones keen on Paris and I don't want to force anyone to be on a team for a resort they don't have a particular interest in. Plus with Team China you're dealing with two different resorts and Team Tokyo you're dealing with perhaps the two greatest theme parks on the planet, so I completely get why Team Paris is getting the short end of the stick haha.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@mickeyfan5534 @DisneyManOne do either of you mind Team Paris being dissolved and you guys being swapped over to Team China? At this point I really think the two of your are the only ones keen on Paris and I don't want to force anyone to be on a team for a resort they don't have a particular interest in. Plus with Team China you're dealing with two different resorts and Team Tokyo you're dealing with perhaps the two greatest theme parks on the planet, so I completely get why Team Paris is getting the short end of the stick haha.

Actually, looking at it if one of you swapped to Team China and the other to Team Tokyo then we'd have two perfectly even teams of five to start out with before Ace and I reveal our "master plan" for the season tomorrow which will hopefully drum up at least a couple more sign-ups.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Updated cast list. All we really need is one extra player each for the two teams and we can get started, but stay tuned for the Think Tank with @AceAstro and I happening in about an hour for an update on the format, project roster, and start date. Thanks for your patience in this time of transition for the season. Were trying to get the kinks worked out to make this the best season it can be! :)

Team China
1. @FireMountain
2. @DSquared
3. @Snoopy
4. @Magic Feather
5. @mickeyfan5534
6. ???

Team Tokyo
1. @Pionmycake
2. @DisneyFan18
3. @D Hindley
4. @spacemt354
5. @DisneyManOne
6. @MonorailRed

Last edited:

DisneyFan18

Updated cast list. All we really need is one extra player each for the two teams and we can get started, but stay tuned for the Think Tank with @AceAstro and I happening in about an hour for an update on the format, project roster, and start date. Thanks for your patience in this time of transition for the season. Were trying to get the kinks worked out to make this the best season it can be! :)

Team China
1. @FireMountain
2. @DSquared
3. @Snoopy
4. @Magic Feather
5. @mickeyfan5534
6. ???

Team Tokyo
1. @Pionmycake
2. @DisneyFan18
3. @D Hindley
4. @spacemt354
5. @DisneyManOne
6. ???
Sounds great can’t wait! Oh and it’s missing Red!

AceAstro

The Think Tank with Tiki is Complete!

Some notes to share with everyone:
  • This season will consist of a mix of traditional, knowledge-based and research-based projects.
  • Tier-based bonus point system - A new addition to sywtbai, each prompt will have tiers of possible bonus points depending on the challenge you choose. Choose an easier challenge will get you little to no bonus points.
  • The season will start off with team projects before splitting off into a few weeks of individual projects. Teams will be formed again towards the end before the decision on who makes the finals.
  • The start date has been changed to July 7th to allow for a two-week break between SA and this.
  • To get the true theme of the International Season, Five out of the Seven continents are covered in the season with us looking into the logistics of getting all seven in the season.

We are very excited for this season to start! If you haven't signed up yet, we have one spot open on Chine but can always expand teams if more people want to play!

Don't be afraid to reach out to me or @TheOriginalTiki if you have any questions/ concerns. See you on the 7th!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Going live right now!

Ooooooh! I can't watch it right now, but I can't wait tonight!

The Think Tank with Tiki is Complete!

Some notes to share with everyone:
  • This season will consist of a mix of traditional, knowledge-based and research-based projects.
  • Tier-based bonus point system - A new addition to sywtbai, each prompt will have tiers of possible bonus points depending on the challenge you choose. Choose an easier challenge will get you little to no bonus points.
  • The season will start off with team projects before splitting off into a few weeks of individual projects. Teams will be formed again towards the end before the decision on who makes the finals.
  • The start date has been changed to July 7th to allow for a two-week break between SA and this.
  • To get the true theme of the International Season, Five out of the Seven continents are covered in the season with us looking into the logistics of getting all seven in the season.

We are very excited for this season to start! If you haven't signed up yet, we have one spot open on Chine but can always expand teams if more people want to play!

Don't be afraid to reach out to me or @TheOriginalTiki if you have any questions/ concerns. See you on the 7th!

Sounds exciting!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
We'll be updating the project roster as we go with dates and titles, just to keep up the teases. It'd be really great to at least get one more person for Team China. We still have over a week so I'm definitely holding out hope, but @AceAstro and I are trying to come up with ways for this thread to not fall into obscurity in the meantime. For right now, here is the current schedule for the first four team-based projects before the game dissolves into an every-man-for-themselves format in the second "Act".

Act One, Scene One: The Modern Macabre Master (July 7th-July 15th)
Act One, Scene Two: Cruising for Culture, Part One (July 16th-July 21st)
Act One, Scene Three: Cruising for Culture, Part Two (July 22nd-July 30th)
Act One, Scene Four: Attack of the Clones (July 31st-August 7th)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
lead_960.jpg

Atmosphere-2-Blue-Bayou.jpg

gran-fiesta-tour-epcot-621x465.jpg

attack-of-the-clones.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
We'll be updating the project roster as we go with dates and titles, just to keep up the teases. It'd be really great to at least get one more person for Team China. We still have over a week so I'm definitely holding out hope, but @AceAstro and I are trying to come up with ways for this thread to not fall into obscurity in the meantime. For right now, here is the current schedule for the first four team-based projects before the game dissolves into an every-man-for-themselves format in the second "Act".

Act One, Scene One: The Modern Macabre Master (July 7th-July 15th)
Act One, Scene Two: Cruising for Culture, Part One (July 16th-July 21st)
Act One, Scene Three: Cruising for Culture, Part Two (July 22nd-July 30th)
Act One, Scene Four: Attack of the Clones (July 31st-August 7th)
If I may offer a suggestion, something between now and July 7th that might be fun is a retrospective thread containing some of the best projects over the last 16 seasons.

Not only could that be constantly updated, but also give people who might be unaware or waiting to see how the game works, an opportunity to learn through reading past projects and events.

I'd also suggest making this the 'sign up thread' while waiting until July 4th or so to create a new 'competition thread' from scratch, with a comprehensive first post to that thread outlining the rules/regulations once they are finalized by Ace and yourself. That'll also allow you to edit in an appendix to that post for projects from season 17, so people in the future can read the whole season from one organized post.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom