So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

PiratesoftheHM

So, one would assume that POTC is no longer on the table as being a possibility for this new E-Ticket considering it will be at the end of Hollywood Blvd in the former GMR.

Then again one wouldn't assume "a kind of space warehouse, fortress, power plant" would be at the end of Sunset Blvd. So who the hell knows!

RobbinsDad

So, one would assume that POTC is no longer on the table as being a possibility for this new E-Ticket considering it will be at the end of Hollywood Blvd in the former GMR.

Then again one wouldn't assume "a kind of space warehouse, fortress, power plant" would be at the end of Sunset Blvd. So who the hell knows!
Did I miss where someone said for sure POTC is replacing GMR?

No Name

I was under a sort of assumption that this would be an addition. At the very least, I didn't think they'd replace the attraction with the highest capacity and longest ride time in the park, and the one at the center. The GMR is what I call the "umbrella attraction." DHS is moving more toward the idea of being in the movies, and the GMR is about... wait for it... being in the movies! It works perfectly.

If Disney wants to promote only their own movies rather than these old, totally irrelevant classics, I understand. They should go about that by replacing certain scenes. Maybe even getting rid of the live guides/actors. Heck, they could call it "The NEW Great Movie Ride" for promotional reasons. Or call it something cringeworthy like "The GREATER Movie Ride." I don't care. But don't replace it with something based on one IP, because that creates a fundamental crack in the structure of the park. There won't be an umbrella attraction.

Think of the park as a ball. If the GMR is replaced, the park will lose its core. And so instead of being well-rounded like a ball should be, it'll become more of a blob. It may be a newer blob. It may be a bigger blob. But they should've created a newer or bigger ball instead. They should've built up the park while keeping its core, while still giving it an umbrella attraction, regardless of what that umbrella attraction is or is called.

So my excitement has dropped considerably. Hopefully whatever is announced is good. Though, even without knowing the replacement, I wouldn't mind if this whole plan gets dropped.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

If it is Oz though, what could they put in the final scene of GMR?

Actually, Oz coming to DHS could mean that GMR would finally get some TLC for the AAs.

aaronml

I was under a sort of assumption that this would be an addition. At the very least, I didn't think they'd replace the attraction with the highest capacity and longest ride time in the park, and the one at the center. The GMR is what I call the "umbrella attraction." DHS is moving more toward the idea of being in the movies, and the GMR is about... wait for it... being in the movies! It works perfectly.

If Disney wants to promote only their own movies rather than these old, totally irrelevant classics, I understand. They should go about that by replacing certain scenes. Maybe even getting rid of the live guides/actors. Heck, they could call it "The NEW Great Movie Ride" for promotional reasons. Or call it something cringeworthy like "The GREATER Movie Ride." I don't care. But don't replace it with something based on one IP, because that creates a fundamental crack in the stucture of the park. There won't be an umbrella attraction.

Think of the park as a ball. If the GMR is replaced, the park will lose its core. And so instead of being well-rounded like a ball should be, it'll become more of a blob. It may be a newer blob. It may be a bigger blob. But they should've created a newer or bigger ball instead. They should've built up the park while keeping its core, while still giving it an umbrella attraction, regardless of what that umbrella attraction is or is called.

So my excitement has dropped considerably. Hopefully whatever is announced is good. Though, even without knowing the replacement, I wouldn't mind if this whole plan gets dropped.
While I personally love GMR, it actually hasn't been doing too well Guest Satisfaction-wise. It generates a lot of "non-excellent experiences" and underperforms in generating "excellent experiences" in survey data also. It's hard to say exactly why this is (maybe families with small children getting scared by Alien?), but that's likely one of the big reasons why it is being replaced. I also think TDO doesn't have faith in guests enjoying such a long attraction, which is part of why they're killing both traveling theater attractions.

ToTBellHop

While I personally love GMR, it actually hasn't been doing too well Guest Satisfaction-wise. It generates a lot of "non-excellent experiences" and underperforms in generating "excellent experiences" in survey data also. It's hard to say exactly why this is (maybe families with small children getting scared by Alien?), but that's likely one of the big reasons why it is being replaced. I also think TDO doesn't have faith in guests enjoying such a long attraction, which is part of why they're killing both traveling theater attractions.
5-10 minutes is the guest's happy zone, now. Less than 5 minutes is considered too short (and that little s-curve on Frozen managed to get the ride time JUST over 5 minutes, and lo and behold, most guests don't think it's too short). Over 10 minutes and it's too difficult to get my 3-year old to sit through it without needing an iPhone (I'm not talking about my kids in particular--just the average snowflake child). I will grant you UoE is a bit long for 2016. I find its second half boring but it just isn't that compelling and wasn't in 1996. I still think GMR's ride time works in 2016 but the bigger issue is that the content is too dated. Outside of the clip reel at the end, you'd think no new movies had come out since 1989. Scenes should have been upgraded like Universal Studios Hollywood has done to its studio tour in recent years.

Give it 12 months, and the point will be moot. Get in your last few rides and cross your fingers that they are allowing the more-expensive-to-run-because-fire cowboy scene to run that day.

I actually like the new TCM clip reels in the preshow and finale, but think the modified dialogue for the ride itself removed a LOT of the ride's character. Robert's voice just doesn't work for me. I really liked the old voiceover and it's clunky that you still hear that voice in the Alien scene.

MOXOMUMD

If Disney wants to promote only their own movies rather than these old, totally irrelevant classics, I understand. They should go about that by replacing certain scenes. Maybe even getting rid of the live guides/actors. Heck, they could call it "The NEW Great Movie Ride" for promotional reasons. Or call it something cringeworthy like "The GREATER Movie Ride." I don't care. But don't replace it with something based on one IP, because that creates a fundamental crack in the structure of the park. There won't be an umbrella attraction.

Disney Movie Ride ;) I'm fine with riding through Disney's history but I would hope it doesn't focus on just one.

No Name

I didn't know it was doing that poorly in guest satisfaction, though I can see why people wouldn't love it. The alien scene is a bit scary for today's parents who think a scare will scar their children forever. The truth is that it'll help them in the life, but that's another topic. The gun scene with the live actors is scary too. And not all of the scenes are the most vibrant and full of action.

What that all means is that they need to update the ride. The problem is that instead, they're replacing the ride with one likely based on a single IP. And by doing so, they're getting rid of the umbrella effect. Now the park will become more of a random collage, because it has no central attraction except for one that happens to be at the center. It's possible they aren't entirely getting rid of the umbrella effect, but I expect otherwise.

That single IP ride should be added elsewhere in the park. Especially to handle the crowds that Star Wars Land will bring.

Kate F

Did I miss where someone said for sure POTC is replacing GMR?
Before it was revealed that GMR would be the location of the new E-ticket, Pirates was one of the IPs that people were speculating. Now that we know it's going into the GMR, Pirates is being checked off.

Magenta Panther

I'm not sure its the length. It's just hollow except for the alien scene. When I went on it felt tired and old. Tarzan looked so dated going back and forth every few seconds with the canned scream from 1940s and the scene with the cast members were cringe worthy. Not the most popular opinion. I just hope the next ride will be fun.

I totally agree with you about the Tarzan scene. And the Busby Berkeley scene is awful. Overall, the ride, as is, is still fun, it still has its charms (the Oz scene and the scene where you enter the underworld with James Cagney) but it IS painfully dated. It could be updated, of course, it could be incredible...but TDO is going in another direction...at least it's in a GOOD direction this time...still, I'll very much miss the Great Movie Ride. :( And what's going to happen to all those AAs? They're pretty good, especially the Wicked Witch. Will they be (ugh) re-skinned and re-used in some way?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom