So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

Phroobar

Well, here are three more guesses:

1. Wicked. Disney has made 2 (lackluster) Oz films. Wicked is hot. So maybe.
2. Remember those rumors not long ago that Disney was going to buy Hasbro? So...The Land of Equestria from My Little Pony? Not much synergy but ohhhhh the merchandising :p
3. Studio Ghibli?

I hate ALL of those ideas so I hope I'm wrong. Well, maybe not Ghibli, but I'd rather have Poppins or Ralph.
I would love a Studio Ghibli land but it totally wouldn't work in the States. The Tokyo park would eat it up though.

ivgzumaibijr6nfg5iol.jpg

Jones14

Okay, what if the IP itself is not the source for the discussion? It's been (allegedly) revealed to TCM that The Great Movie Ride will close in 2018. What if the fuss will be over the location, with a favorable IP (such as Poppins) taking up the space previously occupied by GMR?

EDIT: Martin has essentially confirmed that this attraction will replace The Great Movie Ride.

Last edited:

Jones14

Where was this noted?
I've heard from a very reliable source inside Turner that The Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal (Only a 3 year contract was signed) is not up for renewal. This was not a TCM Decision, it was Disney's. Evidently they have plans for a new attraction to take the location. The current ride will be shut down shortly after the deal ends and planning for a replacement attraction has already begun. Can anyone else speak about what this replacement attraction will be? PM me if you can't talk much about it. Personally I find it sad that Great Movie Ride is closing, but I can kind of understand why, the more I think about it.

DHSCM

Where was this noted?
I could highly doubt that. Disney just poured a whole bunch of money into creating the new projection show adding lighting and pyro and everything on top and building the surrounding walls. I doubt they would have done all that if they have plans for gmr to close in the next year or two. I beleive (I could be wrong) I heard or read somewhere gmr would likely be there until 2020 ish and that would be 4 years to have that projection show so that seems more likely to me.

DHSCM

What if the building were to stay?
That's a good point but when he just said a new attraction I just figured. Makes sense Disney loves to go the cheap way. I would just rather get rid of it, it was built for something else and them to just work with the structure and put something in there is lazy not to mention I hope in a few years from now they eventually rid the park of all the sound stages that's my biggest concern I hate big blocky buildings just a big sore thumb

Herbie

Unless it's a full Oz ride, I will be so disappointed. Distraught, even.
With the possibility of the Tower and Great Movie Ride... and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids already being shuttered...
and knowing that its not likely Muppets will last another twenty years... and RnR probably being rethemed to something distateful...

And Gaurdians of the Galaxy... and a cheap Toy Story Land... and a Star Wars Land that is needed, but I'm indifferent to...

I've probably lost my favorite theme park.

I personally wanted an update, not a complete revamp.

DinoInstitute

Perhaps it's possible that the replacement will be a GMR-comparable type thing, and the reason there has been so much confusion over the IP is that there isn't really one it's based on? Like could it be an original attraction fitting in Hollywood, and if not original, then featuring several IPs? I feel like the attraction would probably be good content, and the controversy comes in the area of getting rid of GMR. @marni1971 would it be possible for you to touch on any of this? ;)

Herbie

Perhaps it's possible that the replacement will be a GMR-comparable type thing, and the reason there has been so much confusion over the IP is that there isn't really one it's based on? Like could it be an original attraction fitting in Hollywood, and if not original, then featuring several IPs? I feel like the attraction would probably be good content, and the controversy comes in the area of getting rid of GMR. @marni1971 would it be possible for you to touch on any of this? ;)

I suppose if the Chinese Theater is staying, then there's a wee bit of hope..

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm afraid you're wide of the mark. I'm sorry I can't say more yet. It seems like I'm sticking my tongue out at you but I'm really not.

Brer Panther

Okay, so first I hear that the Guardians are taking over the Universe of Energy. Then I hear that our Tower of Terror might be getting the Guardians retheme after all. And now I hear that they're taking over the Great Movie Ride.

So which is it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay, so first I hear that the Guardians are taking over the Universe of Energy. Then I hear that our Tower of Terror might be getting the Guardians retheme after all. And now I hear that they're taking over the Great Movie Ride.

So which is it?
GMR Guardians was a very old rumour.

Though they still couldn't make the effort to build something bespoke for that IP...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom