So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

Phicinfan

Have to believe this will be new IP:
Wreck it Ralph would be great - but I don't see this as being a huge "discussion" here as most love the movie, and 2nd one is coming.
Frozen - Marni put the kibosh on that - thank GOD! Can't believe how bad this and other threads would have gone.

I for one LOVE the idea of Star Trek - it is doing amazingly well post the redo, and would be a great draw for young men not into Star Wars(I am more a Trekie than into Star wars :) ).
LOTR - I would love - but just don't see it as a one ride type setting. - if they did acquire LOTR - I see fifth gate or new added land to DHS, not a one and done E ticket.

Bond might be fun, but latest movies have not been all that....and I see no draw to a Disney'ed James Bond.

Zootopia would be fun, Moanna not out yet, so doubt they are planning for that.

Mary Poppins could be a thought, we have all wanted a more old style pull in DHS in recognition of the older films, and with the update coming out in a few years - that could be the push for discussion.

ToTBellHop

The trackless comment, I believe, was in the Guardians Epcot thread and just meant that that ride would not be trackless.
DHS is of course getting a track-less ride, just not here.

Sorry to put this to bed as I know a lot of folks want it to be the case (me, too), but my understanding is that IF we get an Indy ride (supposing the next film is more successful than Kingdom was), it will be after this. i.e. the unannounced ride isn't Indy. Maybe my info is out of date, though.

aaronml

Nope. @marni1971 (I believe) said we will not be getting a trackless ride in WDW.
Well I mean the SWL Battle Escape attraction will be trackless...

Sorry to put this to bed as I know a lot of folks want it to be the case (me, too), but my understanding is that IF we get an Indy ride (supposing the next film is more successful than Kingdom was), it will be after this. i.e. the unannounced ride isn't Indy. Maybe my info is out of date, though.

What do you mean by "not here" ? As in not for this next "Phase 2B" attraction?

Jones14

Perhaps we're getting a Poppins ride centered around the reboot? That would certainly cause some discussion, and I could see Martin having mixed feelings about that decision for a variety of reasons.

RobbinsDad

I've got to admit that I'm absolutely flabbergasted and confused as to what the theme for this additional ride could possibly be. My most recent best guess was a copy of the POTC ride from Shanghai which would have ticked off all of the boxes about what we know (large family friendly E-ticket, possible would need details to be worked out with the partners in China who paid for development/possibly exclusivity, would generate debate over having a different POTC ride in a different park).... but then @marni1971 indicates that there is not a warter ride being planned, which eliminates that.

Did we definitively rule out Indiana Jones? I'm not sure if it was eliminated, but feel like it was at some point recently. Don't think it would be too controversial of a choice, however, if that were the theme.

So, now I'm thinking more that it is an outside IP. But, if so, I find that absolutely crazy that Disney would spend money to license an outside property when they have so many underused/unused things in house available. I mean, sure, something like LOTR would be potentially cool for a theme park, but Disney has their own medieval/magic type options they could use in that vein (I mean, we've already mentioned having a villains ride in this thread, for example).

I'm so befuddled and intrigued.

I still have something to do with Wreck-it Ralph as the main contender, what with a sequel on the way and the huge possibilities with arcade-related material.

Bacon

Already established not frozen or Pixar so eliminate frozen and finding dory, zootopia to soon and Moana hasn't come out yet so probably neither of those, also said its a new original ride so I wouldn't bank on Indiana jones either granted they can make a new Indian jones I just doubt it. My money is on a new ip
I said if it does good in the box office

Bacon

disneys_hollywood_studios_map2.jpg

No Name

Okay, I'm seeing two big issues here, and a stroll through the last few pages of both threads makes those obvious.

People are making speculations off of Martin's words. Then others are turning that speculation into fact or certainty, and making guesses based on those false facts. A great demonstration of how rumors start.
And, just as frequently, people are still pondering over IPs and rides that have already been debunked, like Frozen, MCU Marvel, the Indiana Jones DL ride, etc.

So to hopefully help cut down on both issues, here is the list of clues from the man himself.

1 - an "E-ticket" ride
2 - will create "plenty of synergy"
3 - not a thrill ride
4 - not a water ride
5 - not a clone of an existing attraction
6 - not Frozen
7 - not Game of Thrones
8 - nothing to do with the Universal Marvel contract
9 - will "no doubt generate pkenty of attetion and debate"
10 - on whether it's a good idea, Martin isn't 100% on either side. Sounds like he's somewhere near the middle.

We appreciate and thank Martin for sharing what he's heard. But, as with almost anything, it's always possible that some info is wrong. Or could change. So what I'm basically saying is, don't treat this like the Ten Commandments.

And because I didn't use his exact wording and could be paraphrasing something incorrectly, I linked his comments below.

1, 2, 3:
Plenty of Synergy. And an E but not thrill.

How's that?
4:
As far as I know (which isn't everything I must add) there are no water rides planned for DHS.
5:
Original.
6:
That's not the theme I've heard.
7:
Is that game of thrones? Absolutely not!
8:
To nip it in the bud, it's nothing to do with the Universal contract.

Before yet another rumour starts.
9:
Thank you. If and when this comes out it will no doubt generate plenty of attention and debate. Hopefully then all will be clear.
10:
Honestly? Both.

I've got what I consider legitimate thoughts and concerns that I think are valid from either angle. To say anymore yet might be too much.

If there's anything I missed, please let me know so I can add it.

Last edited:

No Name

So when you say original does that also mean it can't borrow tech from another ride? So using RSR/Test track but different theme and track?

In the context in which he said that, he meant it is not a clone or copy of an existing ride.

Almost everything shares tech with something else so that'd be a bit tricky.

csmat99

In the context in which he said that, he meant it is not a clone or copy of an existing ride.

Almost everything shares tech with something else so that'd be a bit tricky.
Thanks, because if it's going to be an E ticket but not a thrill ride and not water ride that would make you believe it's more like RSR type of experience.

doctornick

Okay, I'm seeing two big issues here, and a stroll through the last few pages of both threads makes those obvious.

People are making speculations off of Martin's words. Then others are turning that speculation into fact or certainty, and making guesses based on those false facts. A great demonstration of how rumors start.
And, just as frequently, people are still pondering over IPs and rides that have already been debunked, like Frozen, MCU Marvel, the Indiana Jones DL ride, etc.

So to hopefully help cut down on both issues, here is the list of clues from the man himself.

1 - an "E-ticket" ride
2 - will create "plenty of synergy"
3 - not a thrill ride
4 - not a water ride
5 - not a clone of an existing attraction
6 - not Frozen
7 - not Game of Thrones
8 - nothing to do with the Universal Marvel contract
9 - will "no doubt generate pkenty of attetion and debate"
10 - on whether it's a good idea, Martin isn't 100% on either side. Sounds like he's somewhere near the middle.

We appreciate and thank Martin for sharing what he's heard. But, as with almost anything, it's always possible that some info is wrong. Or could change. So what I'm basically saying is, don't treat this like the Ten Commandments.

And because I didn't use his exact wording and could be paraphrasing something incorrectly, I linked his comments below.

1, 2, 3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:

If there's anything I missed, please let me know so I can add it.

Thank you for consolidating the info. It is very helpful. I had forgotten about the "synergy" comment -- that really doesn't go along with the outside IP thought.

At this point, I guess I'm going with Wreck It Ralph as the theme. Seems like the one thing that could hit all of the bullet points. Thought of course something more out of the blue might be more likely to be the subject of debate that @marni1971 is suggesting.

Oh, also, I'd point out that @MansionButler84 seemed to confirm Martin's comments, so it might be interesting to see what specific things he has said along the way.

Magenta Panther

Well, here are three more guesses:

1. Wicked. Disney has made 2 (lackluster) Oz films. Wicked is hot. So maybe.
2. Remember those rumors not long ago that Disney was going to buy Hasbro? So...The Land of Equestria from My Little Pony? Not much synergy but ohhhhh the merchandising :p
3. Studio Ghibli?

I hate ALL of those ideas so I hope I'm wrong. Well, maybe not Ghibli, but I'd rather have Poppins or Ralph.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well, here are three more guesses:

1. Wicked. Disney has made 2 (lackluster) Oz films. Wicked is hot. So maybe.
2. Remember those rumors not long ago that Disney was going to buy Hasbro? So...The Land of Equestria from My Little Pony? Not much synergy but ohhhhh the merchandising :p
3. Studio Ghibli?

I hate ALL of those ideas so I hope I'm wrong. Well, maybe not Ghibli, but I'd rather have Poppins or Ralph.

Universal is doing the film version of Wicked so I think that would be unlikely.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom