So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

Ismael Flores

Didn't he say that it would create lots of synergy?
If that is the case then it has to be a property they own and already might be in use or will be in use for television and or other divisions besides theme park.
Something like Star Trek or LOTR would not create much synergy outside of the theme parks that would benefit Disney unless they acquire more than theme park rights including percentage of merchandise, tv rights, film rights etc.

Carsland, toy story, Star Wars and Indiana jones and to a certain extant Marvel are all Properties that they control most aspects of. All those can create synergy thru tv, film, theme parks and merchandise.

The one big exception to the recent additions is Avatar but I think they figured they should get theme park rights in that before Universal took it. I'm also sure that will get a percentage of any merchandise sold but most likely have no other rights for synergy across the company since another studio owns the movie rights and probably television rights

BrianLo

Timing wise this will possibly end up as a phase two B anyway.

Hmm - so are they trying to wrap up the DHS redo early now? Or will entertainment, garage and light re-theming bring up the rear through 2021?

For those playing the guessing game at home try this. Synergy, without Marvel, Pixar and likely Lucasfilm. I'd look to a recent or future upcoming live action releases. Also something that has been established or a certain 'bankable thing'.

Mary Poppins and Jungle Book come to mind as interesting choices that I could see creating a stir.

Dis has way too much in-house stuff these days to ever go outside for an IP, likely ever again.

doctornick

Mary Poppins and Jungle Book come to mind as interesting choices that I could see creating a stir.

Hmmm.... good point. Would they need to acquire theme park rights from the estate of PL Travers for Mary Poppins? I know the characters appear in the parks as well as on GMR, but they may only have those specific rights and might need additional permission for a dedicated ride. I'm skeptical, but maybe that would be possibly true and certainly Mary Poppins would lend itself to a large scale family E-ticket.

BrianLo

Poppins could be interesting.

What about Wreck it Ralph? That's a popular IP and has a second movie coming. That also has some other going characters in the movie that could have some rights issues.

Ohhhh, yes. Good call. A less controversial fit for DHS, but certainly a major stir with Nintendo in the pipeline. There are ongoing rumours of the sequel including Mario.

I like your guess the best, mostly because I don't have any issue if that's the direction they went. It's something I would love to see realized in a theme park.

Thanks phoenicians

Hmm - so are they trying to wrap up the DHS redo early now? Or will entertainment, garage and light re-theming bring up the rear through 2021?

For those playing the guessing game at home try this. Synergy, without Marvel, Pixar and likely Lucasfilm. I'd look to a recent or future upcoming live action releases. Also something that has been established or a certain 'bankable thing'.

Dis has way too much in-house stuff these days to ever go outside for an IP, likely ever again.
I didn't think the garage was still on the table. I agree though some new shows/updated nighttime entertainment would be great to wrap this project up.

flyerjab

At one point, I had wondered if a TV based ride like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was in the works for a park attractions. But then I didn't know if that also fell into the whole Marvel contract fiasco. Something like S.H.I.E.L.D. could also work great as one of those in-park games like they do with Agent P in Epcot.

Now that someone hinted at it being a family E-Ticket I have no idea what to think. I can't see them giving up properties like Zootopia and/or Jungle Book since DAK is still in need of nighttime attractions, even after Pandora and RoL debuts. If we are looking at Phases or lands/minilands, there is a Lucas-based land, a Pixar-based land, but no Disney Animation Studios based area. Obviously we have MK and Norway for that, but maybe they would still want a DAS foundation in DHS. Maybe BH6 or Wreck-It Ralph, but @marni1971 's comment has really thrown me off, coupled with @MansionButler84 's statement about a family E-Ticket attraction. I sometimes wonder how tough it is for them to know things but not say anything. I would absolutely suck at doing that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I sometimes wonder how tough it is for them to know things but not say anything. I would absolutely suck at doing that.
I wish I could spill the beans and name names, explain rides, layouts and ride systems and such like. Stuff like this, SWL, Epcot, Avland and more will be great to discuss. But I respect those who say what they can to me. And I owe it to them not to say anything I shouldn't until the times right.

I never want to come across as cocky or as "I know and you don't" but I bet it sometimes seems like it. Rest assured it's not intended.

Flippin'Flounder

I wish I could spill the beans and name names, explain rides, layouts and ride systems and such like. Stuff like this, SWL, Epcot, Avland and more will be great to discuss. But I respect those who say what they can to me. And I owe it to them not to say anything I shouldn't until the times right.

I never want to come across as cocky or as "I know and you don't" but I bet it sometimes seems like it. Rest assured it's not intended.
That's not how I feel about you at all, ever. I think most of us here understand why you can't tell us everything, and appreciate that you tell us what you do. I'd much rather have what you tell us rather than nothing at all.

flyerjab

@marni1971 and @MansionButler84 , one general question I have about this park. I remember way back when the transformation of this park was discussed in one of spirit's threads, he was highlighting the fact that this wasn't just a simple demo this area and replace it with this IP. He actually talked about how this was going to be some sort of re-skinning of the entire park.

Obviously, everyone gets excited about the big rides. I, however, also love hearing about the smaller details. Are there other minor changes that will be happening throughout the parts of this park that are remaining. We luckily missed out on the re-theming of the ToT, but are there other smaller things scheduled to happen? Is the Fantasmic show going to get any much-needed attention? Or the B&tB show. Is there a chance that is being replaced or the stage/structure being improved?

I remember how excited I was hearing about Pandora and the night safari for DAK. Then, there was news of the new night time show (haha), followed by the new Harambe QS Marketplace, changes to the ToL viewing area, the tamarin exhibit addition, a new shop, etc. Many smaller things that helped to round out the changes. Are there also going to be these types of smaller things occurring in DHS as well?

flyerjab

You would make a much better spy then I would. :)

Thanks, though, for saying what you can. It is great having you in the forums here.

SteamboatJoe

The Wreck-It Ralph concept is interesting. A Disney IP that also featured classic video game characters that I don't think are included in Universal's Nintendo deal.

But if it is about synergy, then I think it is going to be a property that Disney acquired (or is going to acquire) as that seems to be the common theme of all the new and remaining "lands" in DHS that aren't tied to any specific property at the moment.....Toy Story (Pixar), Star Wars, and Muppets.

So of the major assets left; Marvel seems unlikely and IJ seems almost too likely. One aspect currently not capitalized on very much is the Touchstone Pictures library which includes Roger Rabbit and Nightmare Before Christmas. Both are single films which one could argue warrant only an attraction but also feature well defined settings that could easily become lands of some sort, Toon Town and Halloweentown, respectively. Roger Rabbit having been set in LA and Hollywood would definitely seem to be a good fit in terms of theme and they already have some homages to him throughout the park. The only issue with both is, of course, age. Roger is closing in on 30 years and Nightmare is not too far behind, though Nightmare definitely has a cult following. Not so sure about Roger (though he is one of my personal favorites). Both would probably require some sort of effort on the film or TV end to get them back in the main stream public consciousness and there are have been no signs of that occurring and if it is something happening relatively soon, I tend to think it is going to be a product that is relatively fresh.

ABC and ESPN obviously are under the Disney umbrella but its very hard to see them going either of those routes. Amblin/DreamWorks also have some Disney connections but again, that seems a little far out there. Muppets via old connections to The Jim Henson Company has ties to Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock, the latter which is supposedly getting a movie according to Wikipedia. I would classify those both as plausible but unlikely.

For me, currently, it just feels like its either going to be the obvious choice (Indiana Jones) or a not yet known IP that they are acquiring. I am having a hard time, though, thinking of any other potential franchises that would diversity the company portfolio in terms of concept, genre, and fanbase, other than LOTR, that are either actively putting out material or are so big in popularity, could be capitalized even if they are no longer fresh products as was the situation with Star Wars.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Someone mentioned Wizard of Oz in this or one of the other threads. I think that is definitely plausible idea. It is a timeless movie enjoyed by people of all generations, it is already in the park (would probably get taken out of the Great Movie Ride and provide opportunity for something to take its place), is set in a whimsical land, would be more conducive to a non-thrill ride, has had recent film released to turn it into a fresh franchise, and has another film in the works that could potentially line up with the opening of the attraction.

Mary Poppins would also fall under this category as each of the reasons above pretty much apply to it as well.

So I can absolutely say that the one thing I know for certain is that I absolutely know nothing for certain.

Captain Neo

Since there isn't going to be any info for a long time i'm going to narrow it down based on what has been said in order of likeliness

A) It's a non-Disney IP (Lord of the Rings, Ninja Turtles, etc.)
B) It's based on an IP already at use in another park (i.e. Frozen, Pirates of the Caribbean, Monsters inc, etc.)
C) It's Indiana Jones

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom