So What's The Mysterious "Third IP" Coming to DHS?

njDizFan

I think I remember going back quite a bit that Martin hinted this IP was boy-centric, or the leads character was a male. So that leads me to believe it would be Indy, Pirates or Wreck it Ralph. All with sequels in development, so synergy and all

yeti

Why is there a prevailing notion that this isn't a Disney owned IP? IIRC there was a rumour about a year ago concerning multiple WDAS rides in the works, including Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph. Then there's that Cars dark ride that disappeared...is that resurfacing? I'm leaning towards any of these properties.

Magenta Panther

Wow, I'd be over the moon if we got a Mary Poppins area in DHS. Of course, its proper place would be in Epcot's Great Britain pavilion, or in Fantasyland, but yeah, TDO's not interested in the proper placement of attractions anymore, apparently.

The Wizard of Oz would be another great choice. There is actually a strong connection between Disney and that IP. As many here doubtless know, the success of Walt's Snow White film inspired MGM to make its Oz movie, and Walt even helped out on it, lending the MGM producers some of his studio's technical expertise, I believe. Plus, Walt bought the rights to the Oz books after they became available. Here's an interesting article about that: http://www.indiewire.com/2013/03/no...istory-of-disney-and-the-wizard-of-oz-249057/ And frankly it stumps me that no amusement park in the U.S. has ever had an Oz ride. There have been, I think, a couple of VERY minor parks based on the IP, and a major park was once planned in the Midwest - in Kansas, I believe - some time back, but that fell through. If the Disney company could negotiate an arrangement with Warner to feature the MGM film in a new land, that could be awesome. There is so much potential there.

But here's another bit of speculation for that mysterious third IP - what about Neverland? Talk about synergy! TDO was planning a Pixie Hollow something-or-other, remember? The Disney version of Peter Pan and Tinker Bell are still very popular. A Neverland in DHS could have Pixie Hollow, the Mermaid Lagoon, the Lost Boys forest, Captain Hook's ship, and...well, maybe not the Red Indian encampment, due to various issues - but there could also be an expanded dark ride based on the excellent one in Shanghai. Lots of potential with this idea too.

My hope is that this third IP is a Disney-generated in-house creation/adaptation, and NOT a purchase. I'd love it if it were any of the above, and yeah, a Wreck-It-Ralph area would be nice too, but I'd prefer the classics. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Wow, I'd be over the moon if we got a Mary Poppins area in DHS. Of course, its proper place would be in Epcot's Great Britain pavilion, or in Fantasyland, but yeah, TDO's not interested in the proper placement of attractions anymore, apparently.

The Wizard of Oz would be another great choice. There is actually a strong connection between Disney and that IP. As many here doubtless know, the success of Walt's Snow White film inspired MGM to make its Oz movie, and Walt even helped out on it, lending the MGM producers some of his studio's technical expertise, I believe. Plus, Walt bought the rights to the Oz books after they became available. Here's an interesting article about that: http://www.indiewire.com/2013/03/no...istory-of-disney-and-the-wizard-of-oz-249057/ And frankly it stumps me that no amusement park in the U.S. has ever had an Oz ride. There have been, I think, a couple of VERY minor parks based on the IP, and a major park was once planned in the Midwest - in Kansas, I believe - some time back, but that fell through. If the Disney company could negotiate an arrangement with Warner to feature the MGM film in a new land, that could be awesome. There is so much potential there.

But here's another bit of speculation for that mysterious third IP - what about Neverland? Talk about synergy! TDO was planning a Pixie Hollow something-or-other, remember? The Disney version of Peter Pan and Tinker Bell are still very popular. A Neverland in DHS could have Pixie Hollow, the Mermaid Lagoon, the Lost Boys forest, Captain Hook's ship, and...well, maybe not the Red Indian encampment, due to various issues - but there could also be an expanded dark ride based on the excellent one in Shanghai. Lots of potential with this idea too.

My hope is that this third IP is a Disney-generated in-house creation/adaptation, and NOT a purchase. I'd love it if it were any of the above, and yeah, a Wreck-It-Ralph area would be nice too, but I'd prefer the classics. Keeping my fingers crossed...
I believe there was once an Oz ride planned for DL called, "The Rainbow Road to Oz", but that obviously never came to frutition. I love your Neverland idea though! It could potentially line up with the live-action Tinkerbelle movie they have planned.

doctornick

Why is there a prevailing notion that this isn't a Disney owned IP?

It's coming from the comments of @marni1971 saying that he can't say much about the new plans and that we "would understand" one the info breaks. Some relevant posts:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ollywood-studios.903110/page-322#post-7297669

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-talk-news-rumors-about-phase-3.911960/page-25#post-7302324

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...d-ip-coming-to-dhs.915202/page-7#post-7303976

This makes it seem like Disney is negotiating or working out details about the IP. If it is an internal product, it seems odd that there would be any issues. That said...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-talk-news-rumors-about-phase-3.911960/page-25#post-7301837

How could there be synergy with an outside IP? I did theorize that perhaps there is negotiating with one of their partners in a foreign park which might be complicating things, so perhaps it might be a copy of the Shanghai PTOC for example. Others have suggested Wreck It Ralph might be used but also involve outside video game IP.

It's certainly an interesting discussion and hints have been intriguing but also mysterious and confusing.

Capsin4

Wasn't Twilight part of a survey a couple years back? I hope it's not that or HG.
IJ makes sense given its popularity, future possibilities and the decision not to build SWL near/onto the parking lots. They could keep the show and build a nice mini land in that area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Why is there a prevailing notion that this isn't a Disney owned IP? IIRC there was a rumour about a year ago concerning multiple WDAS rides in the works, including Big Hero 6 and Wreck-It Ralph. Then there's that Cars dark ride that disappeared...is that resurfacing? I'm leaning towards any of these properties.

I am basing that belief, maybe incorrectly, on Martin's statement that he can't reveal anything more and that we would "understand" when it was announced. This leads me to believe it's not a Disney owned IP.

yeti

It's coming from the comments of @marni1971 saying that he can't say much about the new plans and that we "would understand" one the info breaks. Some relevant posts:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ollywood-studios.903110/page-322#post-7297669

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-talk-news-rumors-about-phase-3.911960/page-25#post-7302324

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...d-ip-coming-to-dhs.915202/page-7#post-7303976

This makes it seem like Disney is negotiating or working out details about the IP. If it is an internal product, it seems odd that there would be any issues. That said...

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-talk-news-rumors-about-phase-3.911960/page-25#post-7301837

How could there be synergy with an outside IP? I did theorize that perhaps there is negotiating with one of their partners in a foreign park which might be complicating things, so perhaps it might be a copy of the Shanghai PTOC for example. Others have suggested Wreck It Ralph might be used but also involve outside video game IP.

It's certainly an interesting discussion and hints have been intriguing but also mysterious and confusing.
I am basing that belief, maybe incorrectly, on Martin's statement that he can't reveal anything more and that we would "understand" when it was announced. This leads me to believe it's not a Disney owned IP.

Thanks guys. That makes sense, but I like what Doctor Nick said about copying Pirates from Shanghai; just for spitballing's sake, maybe they're looking to modify it to include more outdoor scenes, hence the "tricky" (if copying a brand new ride wasn't tricky enough). I'm not sure if it's pervaded the Disney stratosphere that DHS could use an outdoor flume ride.

YodaMan

Maybe it is a Disney IP, but related to something in the pipeline with the film division? For example, let's say Indiana Jones 5 IS themed to something like Atlantis, and they want to build an Indiana Jones ride/land based on Indiana Jones 5. But they don't want to announce the ride until they're ready to announce details about the film. And maybe the film and land are timed to open at the same time...? That would explain th synergy comment and the fact that nothing could be said yet and that everything would make sense when announced.

ToTBellHop

Maybe it is a Disney IP, but related to something in the pipeline with the film division? For example, let's say Indiana Jones 5 IS themed to something like Atlantis, and they want to build an Indiana Jones ride/land based on Indiana Jones 5. But they don't want to announce the ride until they're ready to announce details about the film. And maybe the film and land are timed to open at the same time...? That would explain th synergy comment and the fact that nothing could be said yet and that everything would make sense when announced.
Sounds logical.

Princess Leia

I've always said that Mary Poppins would be a great replacement for the Beauty and The Beast musical. I believe it would be a nice family attraction for kids, parents and grandparents. Love the songs from that movie. I believe Walt had theme park rights as part the deal with PL Travers. Also, they have another Mary Poppins movie in the works.
Personally, I'd love to see Hunchback come back, but Mary Poppins would also be a great replacement. They could maybe find a way to incorporate both movies (as they're set in different decades, I'm not sure how they could do this, but anything's possible with Poppins).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom