So, what IS wrong with Space Mountain?

Dragonrider1227

Original Poster
I hear people complain about how Space Mountain isn't getting it's referb it apparently needs. now, my first tiem riding int was in '05 so maybe I don't have much to compare it too, but aside from needing some "touch-ups" like "spacey" visuals or some music during the ride, (okay, MAYBE a smoother track too) I don't really see anything seriously wrong with it. Am I just not riding it enough?

WendyWDW

So what is wrong with Space Mountain?

It's basically the same ride since they built it in the 70's, although I think the cars have been updated a couple of times. But that's what's good about it. People who like high tech coaster rides have other choices - R&RC at the Disney Studios and Expedition Everest in Animal Kingdom. As long as safety is maintained, I hope they keep it the way it is. I never get tired of it. And judging from the long lines I frequently see there, there are quite a few others who feel the same way.

Four more days and we're WDW bound!:sohappy:

Many people say that the DL version is much superior, I have only ridden the WDW one but I believe it is almost perfect as is. Space Mountain rocks. It does seem to be kinda old, but that just adds to the feel. I don't really see what people dislike about it to be honest.

PaisleyMF

Consider this: When you have a construction that has been up for over 30 years, there is going to be some wear and tear, no? Most of the mention renovations is fix and smooth the track, (NOT CHANGE THE DESIGN). At DLR when Space Mountain was redone, they change the tracks (not the layout) to a newer one since there where tracks parts in such a bad shape (and this is what i was told). It won't be a new ride, is just a TLC that the ride and any other ride deserves.

EpcotServo

"Everything."

9275293.jpg

dove_

I understand. I don't mind them doing a refurb to give it some maintenance, but I like the idea of riding a ride that people have loved for years and years and it never gets old. It's fine that they redid the DL one, I suppose (never ridden it), I think it would be cool to try though!

As long as there's at least one original space mountain, I'm happy :)

LoriMistress

I've ridden SM numerous times. The version at DLR is a million times better than at MK. They re-did the entire ride. The older version at DLR was completely unsafe and it was only a matter of times before there would be another BTMRR disaster. The version at MK looks and feels old. You can see the tracks, the tracks are not smooth, and and the end of the ride you feel like Tina Tuner after Ike beat you up like a punching bag.

DonaldDoleWhip

The only way to understand is to actually experience the DL version of the ride. DL's is modern and exciting, yet it retains its original track layout. The visuals are more interesting, the music adds to the experience, and the ride is smooth, dark, fast, and overall fun!

In comparison, MK's Space Mountain is an outdated, jerky piece of garbage. Sorry to be so harsh (I love SM), but it seriously sucks.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
The only way to understand is to actually experience the DL version of the ride. DL's is modern and exciting, yet it retains its original track layout. The visuals are more interesting, the music adds to the experience, and the ride is smooth, dark, fast, and overall fun!

In comparison, MK's Space Mountain is an outdated, jerky piece of garbage. Sorry to be so harsh (I love SM), but it seriously sucks.

Yes, agree 100%. You really dont' realize how bad MK's version is until you see how good DL's is. It's STILL very much Space Mountain, has the same feel, but it's just sooo much better.

WDWGoof07

Could be darker...but that's all.

Space Mountain is still my favorite MK ride. The queue is great, sets up the perfect mood for the ride. The single-row seating on the rockets is so unique and make the ride that much more intimate. Even though it could be darker, it still feels really zippy and fast around the windy track...I love every second of my ride. And I ride it a lot whenever I get down there. I don't call it outdated...I prefer retro-futuristic:)...OK you can see the 70's influence, but I still think it its plenty futuristic. My only complaint is that the queue needs to be enclosed. Although it is exciting to see what awaits you while waiting, there's too much light leakage. That problem is easily solved, though.

Even though I love WDW Space, I would love it even more if they refurbed it like the DL version. DL's version is great...it still retains that classic Space Mountain feel, while making it smoother, updating the visuals, and adding a top-notch soundtrack. DL Space is a killer attraction, and I wish WDW would commit more time and resources to bringing their version up to that level. But even so, I'd ride both any day cause Space is a classic.

If nothing else, WDW's rehab should make the ride darker and update the visuals (especially the postshow camera thing...that's pretty corny). Tokyo recently refurbished their Space without adding an onboard soundtrack, but the visual upgrades were stellar and breathed new life into the attraction.

Disneyson 1

So, in order to answer Dragonrider's question in the most fair and direct way possible:

Disneyland's Space Mountain had a refurbishment for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary. It was mainly done because the roller coaster was basically falling apart and could collapse at any minute (okay, artistic license)! But anyways, it was full of mold and grime and all that good stuff and finally management decided to give the ride a fantastic refurb just in time for the park's 50th. After it emerged from its botox/plastic surgery/intense cosmetic adjustment/etc. of a refurb, it was an amazing sight to behold (or, as the ride is in the dark, to er... not behold.)!

Not only were the needed track and structural replacements created, but there were many enhancements to behold! When one walked into the queue, everything was immaculate and as space-age clean as you can imagine. New shades of purple, blue and red filled the corridors thanks to new lighting. They also have a spaceship hanging in their queue, so that got new paint and lighting effects too. Now as for the trains, they were all new! They were 2 by 2 and they each had a very special surprise in their headrests: 2 speakers each! No, the people of the future did not have iPod jacks in their rockets, silly! The ride would now have onboard audio which synched to the ride!

Once your rocket left the station, the sound track would be a direct radio connection to mission control. They count down how many seconds till lift-off. The lighting surrounding you is so vibrant! It pulses with the mission control guy’s every word. Then Disneyland borrowed an effect from us: the blue light tunnel! Then there was the “5… 4… 3… 2… 1…” countdown. The lights were pulsating rapidly now! Then you have lift-off! Wow! The music starts to play and it synchs with each pitch and dip of the rocket! The ride is so smooth! You no longer shudder at the non-existent rough patches. And the room is so dark, even more so than before! You can’t even guess where you’re going to go next! How is THAT possible? Well, the pestilent Peoplemover peeping window was sealed off so no outside light could get in. Wouldn’t that be quite a problem for WDW’s considering that the TTA is still running? Back to inside the mountain, there were amazing new star projections on the walls and new tunnels and strobe lights and all different lighting effects that blew even the grumpiest Disney fan away. So finally you get back to the station after your crash landing and you immediately want to go on again. Well, for some vacationers, the same can’t be said for the mountain at WDW. People love the ride, yes, but many say “once is enough” and walk away from the ride more queasy and rattled than thrilled. The ride is at the same stage as Disneyland’s ride before the big refurb right now.

The roller coaster is basically falling apart and could collapse any minute (again, artistic licence)! But anyways, it’s full of mold and grime and all that good stuff and finally management decided to give the ride a refurb. Now this is where the similarities end. Now the management have decided (we don’t know for sure yet) to either go with the Disneyland-esque refurb or just a replacement of some track parts and general cleanup. If we’re REALLY lucky we’ll get an extra effect. Possibly. So that’s where our story is now. To be continued…

I hope I answered your question!

agent86

but aside from needing some "touch-ups" like "spacey" visuals or some music during the ride, (okay, MAYBE a smoother track too) I don't really see anything seriously wrong with it. Am I just not riding it enough?

:ROFLOL::lol::lol: Sorry, your post just made me laugh. "I don't see anything wrong with it",...preceded by a list of things that are,..well,.. wrong with it! :lol::lol:

As others have stated, what's "wrong" with MK's Space Mountain becomes much more apparent once you've experience DL's. I grew up on DL and had experienced Space Mountain there literally hundreds of times before I ever even made my first trip to Florida. I can still remember riding MK's Space Mountain for the first time and getting off the ride thinking, "Huh?". Compared to DL's, it truly is a sad ride experience. And while I can appreciate the nostalgic feeling that drives many to hope it will remain as is, it's really the type of ride that needs to be occasionally updated as ride technology improves. I have no doubt that when it opened in 1975, it was probably considered very cutting edge. But it's kind of pathetic that it's not been updated at all since then (save for the handful of times the rockets have been re-designed). In present day, when they can build roller coasters that are so smooth you barely feel the track underneath you, it's sad that a ride that is supposed to feel like you're in outer space still feels like an old time, rickety, county fair wild mouse coaster. This is a ride that should have been updated over 10 years ago.

agent86

As long as safety is maintained, I hope they keep it the way it is. I never get tired of it. And judging from the long lines I frequently see there, there are quite a few others who feel the same way.

The long lines you speak of is actually one of the many reasons why it needs to be updated. This ride doesn't have long lines because it's immensely popular. It has long lines because the loading for the ride is incredibly inefficient. The next time you ride it, take note of how stressed out the Cast Members who seat Guests almost always seem to be. I've heard that it's an incredibly high pressure job due to the challenges of filling the rockets appropriately, and that this is due to it having such an outdated loading process from the mid-70's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom