So what changes will we see at DHS GE based on DL GE?

Mickeyboof

“We wanted to bring that to this cantina as well, but not that same song that we heard.”

These imagineers should be fired.

How could someone, let alone an army of people, think like this when creating STAR WARS LAND.

Thank god somehow in that mess of imagineers the Cantina song did in fact make it to the bar.

It was my second visit when I heard the song play. It took until that moment, HEARING A SONG I ALREADY HEARD, to actually feel like maybe I was in Star Wars land!

drod1985

But notice how it's played in a slightly snarky, self referential way: "oh remember that hit from long ago?" It's a bit like Luke throwing his lightsaber over his shoulder. Or like Great Movie Ride T-shirts, or like...

That's a stretch. The exact quote is: "Let's get to cruising altitude with a tribute to the song that swept the galaxy." There's no hidden meaning or intention behind it.

tcool123

I don't get why there's no bands or someone just making music in the streets? There's more than just the Cantina Band as a source of diegetic music.

In Solo we had a female singer, and an alien in a jar

In Return of the Jedi we had Max Rebo with two songs being Jedi Rocks and Lapti Nek

Also in Return of the Jedi we saw the Ewok's making music from whatever they had laying around

In The Force Awakens we had Maz Kanata's band with Jabba Flow

The idea that Star Wars Land can't have any music outside of a cantina is completely absurd, and one of these clips even show music being made by more primitive creatures with the bare minimum. If a bunch of Ewoks, I'm sure Disney can do the bare minimum get a bunch of Corelenian or some other human species and use random items such as helmets and junk to make music. It even sticks to the war torn theme as they're using junk and armour of the fallen, and the backstory could be a local Batuu band wanted to lift the spirits of the oppressed residents. Boom, done music has been added. Disney I expect my paycheck at the end of the month :rolleyes:

TP2000

Today the Disney Parks Blog announced that the Falcon ride has had an average of 1,388 riders per hour since it opened on May 31st.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...at-star-wars-galaxys-edge-in-disneyland-park/

1,388 riders per hour is not impressive compared to Disneyland's other E Tickets, and puts it at the very low end, if not a new parkwide low for an E Ticket. Pirates at 2,800 per hour, Small World at 2,300 per hour, Thunder Mountain at 2,200, Haunted Mansion at 2,100, etc., etc.

Anyone know the hourly capacity of the six other rides at DHS? I imagine Tower of Terror and RnRC are higher capacity, and I know the DHS version of Star Tours has six cabins compared to only four cabins at the Disneyland original.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Today the Disney Parks Blog announced that the Falcon ride has had an average of 1,388 riders per hour since it opened on May 31st.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...at-star-wars-galaxys-edge-in-disneyland-park/

1,388 riders per hour is not impressive compared to Disneyland's other E Tickets, and puts it at the very low end, if not a new parkwide low for an E Ticket. Pirates at 2,800 per hour, Small World at 2,300 per hour, Thunder Mountain at 2,200, Haunted Mansion at 2,100, etc., etc.

Anyone know the hourly capacity of the six other rides at DHS? I imagine Tower of Terror and RnRC are higher capacity, and I know the DHS version of Star Tours has six cabins compared to only four cabins at the Disneyland original.
I don't see that number in the blog post. How did you come up with this number? Did you take into account downtime, etc?

TP2000

I don't see that number in the blog post. How did you come up with this number? Did you take into account downtime, etc?

From May 31st to July 15th gets you 45 days of operation. One million divided by 45 is 22,222, which means the Falcon ride has been averaging 22,222 riders per day. Disneyland has been open from 8am to Midnight seven days per week since Star Wars Land opened on May 31st, for 16 operating hours per day consistently. 22,222 divided by 16 is 1,388, which means the Falcon ride has been averaging 1,388 riders per hour.

That's not a very impressive hourly number, but it also aligns with what insiders have told us that the maximum hourly capacity for the Falcon is 1,700 riders per hour under perfect conditions.

Add in some occasional break downs for some of the four revolving carousel theaters or screenz, plus an empty seat in some cockpits if the Single Rider line is empty, and an average of 1,388 riders per hour seems very reasonable and accurate for a ride system that can only host 1,700 riders per hour at most under perfect conditions.

mikejs78

Premium Member
From May 31st to July 15th gets you 45 days of operation. One million divided by 45 is 22,222, which means the Falcon ride has been averaging 22,222 riders per day. Disneyland has been open from 8am to Midnight seven days per week since Star Wars Land opened on May 31st, for 16 operating hours per day consistently. 22,222 divided by 16 is 1,388, which means the Falcon ride has been averaging 1,388 riders per hour.

That's not a very impressive hourly number, but it also aligns with what insiders have told us that the maximum hourly capacity for the Falcon is 1,700 riders per hour under perfect conditions.

Add in some occasional break downs for some of the four revolving carousel theaters or screenz, plus an empty seat in some cockpits if the Single Rider line is empty, and an average of 1,388 riders per hour seems very reasonable and accurate for a ride system that can only host 1,700 riders per hour at most under perfect conditions.

Seems right. If I remember right from other attractions, they'll get closer to theoretical as it is open for a while and they get more efficient with operating it.

TrainsOfDisney

To be fair, there are 2 conversations happening in all of these threads, maybe even 3.

1. Attendance is not what Disney thought it would be in California and Based on discounts, it seems likely attendance will be lower in Florida as well. If Star Wars land was perfect, would this be the case? Maybe / maybe not. I think the marketing is a big part of this, along with the ever increasing prices.

2. Features of the land cut out. Those of us who have visited the land see very lifeless areas that were obviously designed for atmosphere entertainment. This on top of the aliens and droids roaming the land that were advertised to be in the land, and the sit down restaurant being cut, and the lack of capacity in the Catina. These are all issues that are the result of budget cuts. Would this fix issue #1? Hard to say. Most likely not, but it would fix some of the word of mouth reviews that are currently happening.

3. The design of the land, lack of recognizable characters, etc. —> this is a totally different issue. Would the land be better received if yoda, Darth Vader, etc. all had their own attractions? That’s a whole different discussion that is worth having. But it can get messy when it’s thrown in with points 1 & 2.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The more I think about it, the more depressed I get. Disneyland is fine, it’s the back corner of the park. No huge loss. But DHS is pretty much ruined because of this Imho. Star Wars should have been built connecting into Star Tours. That would have left the streets of America for Osborne lights, and allowed Pixar to push back into the backlot / stunt show area.

Now there is really no hope for future expansion on that scale.

I think a topic - for many other days/years to come - Is how awful the park infrastructure attached to TSL/Star Wars: Boredoms Edge construction will prove to be...exasperated by an ultimately useless parking lot reroute and the lift to the black diamonds.

Mgm is woefully small in footprint to handle what the other 3 can. Which means they made the CHOICE to landlock it again when they did all this. It’s still the little brother just on time and space. And the management really seems less interested in making it a “full” park than even Eisner was.

There was all kinds of nonsense Phase: ME (3) and Phase: MORE (4). (Right, Teetz 😉 ) a couple years ago.

But from an observers perspective they made their intentions clear outside the park. No footprint expansion...no parking structure...no annex on the cast lot side...

My opinion: the only way I see any significant expansion now is if the place was SLAMMED and the upsells flew off the shelf.

The two lands are good enough - it appears.

And now they have the boutique hotel twisting a bit . Nobody ever considered that the land may not be great? And it still could be much better with the other ride...but no potterville. Or even carsland. One dark ride does not the earth shatter.

Oh well...for another day.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

If the dark ride is good (and honestly I think it will be.... I sure hope it is) they should have just built that along with some themed shops and restaurants next to Star Tours.

Landlocking that poor little park while tearing out much of it’s soul is painful to watch.

When it was announced I felt the land would live up to the hype so I shrugged my shoulders and said “it’ll be worth it in the end” - now that I’ve seen it, it just makes me want to cry.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If the dark ride is good (and honestly I think it will be.... I sure hope it is) they should have just built that along with some themed shops and restaurants next to Star Tours.

Landlocking that poor little park while tearing out much of it’s soul is painful to watch.

When it was announced I felt the land would live up to the hype so I shrugged my shoulders and said “it’ll be worth it in the end” - now that I’ve seen it, it just makes me want to cry.
The canary for me is when they gutted movie ride - after avoiding a desperately needed update for 20 years - in Favor of the Mickey ride.

Mgm has always needed “adds”...not repurposed spaces...and taking out a thoroughly viable innings eater like movie ride (if updated) shows they were never serious about making mgm more than a smaller park. They never have been.

That was always about saving operational cost...they don’t want to pay for the overhead involved in the other 3...and that even jives with sneaky bob cutting all the Star Wars entertainment...

That ridiculous imagineering behind the scenes video about Star Wars is such an indictment now: “we didn’t start with rides”

What did you start with, Chief? Sandblasted Huts?

Magic

mikejs78

Premium Member
This.

I expect better of you, honestly. You are googling figures off a third party “tracking site” that is like a tapeworm or lamprey on Disney’s underbelly.

Honestly I think your characterization of TouringPlans is grossly unfair. @lentesta is a stand-up guy and appears to try to do the right thing. Search these forums - you'll find plenty of examples of him criticizing Disney.

TouringPlans even stopped getting invited to media events several years ago when their guidebook suggested that DHS may not be worth it to many vacationers. They are hardly a tapeworm on Disney's underbelly.. And frankly, I trust their data. It's served me well on many a Disney vacation.

eddie104

The more I think about it, the more depressed I get. Disneyland is fine, it’s the back corner of the park. No huge loss. But DHS is pretty much ruined because of this Imho. Star Wars should have been built connecting into Star Tours. That would have left the streets of America for Osborne lights, and allowed Pixar to push back into the backlot / stunt show area.

Now there is really no hope for future expansion on that scale.
People in DL thread seem to think total opposite of you regarding it's placement and no DHS is not ruined.

rsm

Franchise damage being the one that people still have their head stuck in a hole on.

Maybe this is true and maybe it isn't - but even IF 'people don't like SW anymore' if MFSM was an excellent ride they'd still ride it.
Splash Mountain is based on an IP that has been wiped from the face of the earth due racial insensitivity - if there's ever a reason for a ride's popularity to be damaged it's probably that. Yet it's still among the most popular rides.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe this is true and maybe it isn't - but even IF 'people don't like SW anymore' if MFSM was an excellent ride they'd still ride it.
Splash Mountain is based on an IP that has been wiped from the face of the earth due racial insensitivity - if there's ever a reason for a ride's popularity to be damaged it's probably that. Yet it's still among the most popular rides.
They’d ride it once they got there...like splash mountain...but would it be a driver to the parks?

Different scenario entirely. There’s no doubt whatsoever Disney thought they were building a driver and it’s missed the target on some levels

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom