So my stand against WDW has begun

captainkidd

Well, yes and no. We're still going in July and January since we have AP's that we already paid for months ago. However, both trips we're renting points from a DVC member. I also cancelled our trip next August entirely.

I did a lot of reading on these forums last night about the current state of things at DLR versus WDW. Having never been to DLR (first time next summer), I can't speak for those. However, I can speak about the state of WDW. As anyone else here, I love WDW, however, I can't continue to ignore the obvious problems. I liken it to having to shut off a 20 something year old child who keeps asking you for money. If you don't stop giving it to them, they'll never learn, no matter how much you love them.

It isn't the price increases that is driving my decision. It's the lack of improvement I'm seeing at the resort as a whole.

-Yeti, still broken.
-Countless effects on Splash Mountain not working.
-No new E-ticket attractions in 5+ years.
-Disregard for simple maintenance issues at the GF (lightbulbs on Narcooses's.)
-Horrible video condition of Soarin'.
-Shared buses at resorts that charge over $400 per night.
-Lack of action regarding rude visitors (flash photography, smokers.)
-Closing of a classic attraction, simply to add another meet and greet.

These are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. Disney's utter indifference towards it's "Crown Jewel" has simply left me cold, bitter, and no longer wishing to spend any more money on their park tickets or resorts. Little good it may do, but I intend on sending Disney a letter stating all these reasons and more. Let's just hope that others will follow suit and finally, we'll all get the WDW that once was and we all deserve.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This thread is sad... sad in the way people feel the need to jump on someone for simply sharing their plans and why. It shows how there really is no sense of community and there are lot of people who feel big sitting behind keyboards. Deplorable behavior. Picking on the thread location? Please.. Picking on that there is already money committed, why aren't you walking away from it? Argumentative.. The attacks here have been uncalled for and reflect very poorly on those involved.

Captainkidd, don't be scared of moving your vacation dollars somewhere. Don't worry, you are not the only one and eventually Disney will see trends they can no longer keep blaming on the economy. There are other options out there and much of it much much better. Make that trip to DLR and see that park on an upswing. It's a different type of vacation than WDW.. but if you are looking for Disney ride experiences.. its as good as they come right now in the US. Head to non-theme parks a bit to get some other type of vacations in. See some national parks, see the REAL versions instead of the Disney versions.. etc.

No one should feel obligated to visit Disney and there is no shame in not doing so if it doesn't feel like you are getting what you want out of it.

I've talked my mom out of WDW vacations twice this year already. She's worried the clock is ticking on the grandkids, but I keep telling her I have no interest in blowing that kind of money on WDW now.. when I want to take the kids out west for their next Disney trip.

Upvote 0

UberPlannerMom

History, where the country began, active archaeological digs, trades shops, streets where forefathers walked down, most beautiful theme park on Earth, and much more. Anyone who does not like the area should stay visiting movie theaters.
I was simply intimating that anyone unhappy with Colonial Williamsburg would be the people who don't enjoy things of a historical nature. Growing up I lived in South Carolina and we visited many plantations and forts. One of my cousins was always jealous while another rolled her eyes and was very happy she hadn't been subjected to anything "so boring". People are different and that always has to be taken into consideration.

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

Holy heart failure Batman! Some of the posts on this thread are silly.

You seem to have struck a nerve captain kidd by deciding to patronize other places for vacation. One person just individually feeling like you/doing what you are going to do may not seem to have a big impact but it's a trend I've noticed from many may people regarding their decisions to stay at Disney. Whether it's people taking less time at Disney to do other things in Orlando or not going all together. Either was, it's money not spent at Disney and if a whole lot of people keep doing it, that will eventually cut into Disney's bottom line and hopefully they will be spurred to finally do something. I'm not sure why so many felt the need to attack you for your feelings on the state of Disney at the moment or about how you were still going to go for your two last paid trips...would think anyone would understand not wanting to take a loss on something that costs thousands of dollars. I think some people just refuse point blank to see that problems do exist and the cost cutting measures Disney has made the last years is really starting to show at the parks. I hope wherever you decide to vacation is a place you end up really enjoying. There is more than one cool vacation spot! There more to see in life than just Disney :)

And to answer your question, the Colonial Williamsburg area is very very nice. I loved it when I was there. So much history. Are you dead set on visiting a theme park though? Sorry noticed you were talking about either Hershey or Busch Gardens. I'd actually make the suggestion not to do any theme parks and just explore that area of VA. Like maybe stay there a few days and then visit Washington DC for another part of your trip. DC has so much to offer. The Georgetown area is really cool (great food) and the National Aquarium is always worth a visit as well as the National Mall, ect. I have friends who are from all around that area in VA and I always have a blast when I'm there. If you are determined in having a theme/water park included in your vacation, I would still recommend the Williamsburg/Jamestown area. Both places are rich in things to do. Norfolk is in that area too and my advice to you is to definitely look into visiting the naval base. There is a really neat tour of the base and you can do river cruises too and the naval museum.

Upvote 0

real mad hatter

Well I woke up Sunday morning,with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt,and that beer I had for breakfast,wasn't bad,so I had more more for dessert.Cheers to Kris for those awesome lyrics,and cheers to the Captain for saying what he felt was right to him. The minute I read this thread right on page one,I knew what the reaction would be.Everybody's got a happy face,or have they.:eek:

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Also, for Colonial Williamsburg, its something everyone should get to see. Its fun. I live in DC so if you have any "what's worth seeing" or looking for any help planning, I would be more then happy to help. There is Busch Gardens near Williamsburg and it is a lot of fun. Jamestown is near there too. In Baltimore, the Aquarium is great. In DC, there is the zoo (skip the aquarium in DC - not worth the price of admission) which is awesome and so many other things to do. FYI - the National Mall is not a pretty site right now as it is all pulled up and they are redoing it. As is the reflecting pool. There is still loads to do but to the eye, it is not pleasing.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

hee hee Great point! :) Good luck with your stand! While you are writing your letter, I will be enjoying Expedition Everest...with or with out the perfect Yeti. :)
I think this is the whole dispute of the thread. Some are willing to overlook the lower perfection of Disney, while others are saying enough is enough.

What I see is Disney pushing to see what they can get away with regarding perfectoin. Until enough people get tired of the Yeti not working and other quality Disney was know for, nothing will change. Clearly there are more willing to over look the lower quality and find enjoyment. I'm one that is saying enough is enough and willing to stop plunking down thousands of dollars for average. I can get average anywhere for far less.

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Regardless of what has been said in this thread I agree that the parks are falling into the shadow of their former greatness. I do not think our family is ready to abandon them though in any way so I guess we agree to diagree to that end.

I do have concerns though that this disregard for improvements (Fantasyland not withstanding) is due to the guaranteed recurring revenue from DVC. In the old days they had to keep guests happy or they simply would not return but now they have a guaranteed captive audience and recurring revenue. While they continue to spend tens of millions on new DVC resorts so they can lock in more "sure" money they seem to lose sight of the true nature of the parks which is...the parks.

Although the Capn' has taken quite a bit of heat deservedly or not he brings into focus some fine points that I sincerely hope TDO sees at least in some sort of fashion as concerns on the horizon.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I find the concept that DVC has caused TDO the ability to slack on park upkeep interesting. DVC owners are return guests, every year (sometimes multiple times per year). These would be individuals who would be more apt to recognize maintanance issues and be able to "track" or notice a downward spiral. Why would Disney want those types of guests? Isn't the current conspiracy theory floating around -Disney doesn't want a lot of repeat business, thus the new pricing structure?

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Cap,

I just got back from two weeks in that area, actually a trip of D.C., Fredericksburg, Monticello, and the Historic Triangle (including Busch Gardens and Water Country USA). PM me and I can give you both hotel and dining recommendations.

Upvote 0

coltow

Well, yes and no. We're still going in July and January since we have AP's that we already paid for months ago. However, both trips we're renting points from a DVC member. I also cancelled our trip next August entirely.

I did a lot of reading on these forums last night about the current state of things at DLR versus WDW. Having never been to DLR (first time next summer), I can't speak for those. However, I can speak about the state of WDW. As anyone else here, I love WDW, however, I can't continue to ignore the obvious problems. I liken it to having to shut off a 20 something year old child who keeps asking you for money. If you don't stop giving it to them, they'll never learn, no matter how much you love them.

It isn't the price increases that is driving my decision. It's the lack of improvement I'm seeing at the resort as a whole.

-Yeti, still broken.
-Countless effects on Splash Mountain not working.
-No new E-ticket attractions in 5+ years.
-Disregard for simple maintenance issues at the GF (lightbulbs on Narcooses's.)
-Horrible video condition of Soarin'.
-Shared buses at resorts that charge over $400 per night.
-Lack of action regarding rude visitors (flash photography, smokers.)
-Closing of a classic attraction, simply to add another meet and greet.

These are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. Disney's utter indifference towards it's "Crown Jewel" has simply left me cold, bitter, and no longer wishing to spend any more money on their park tickets or resorts. Little good it may do, but I intend on sending Disney a letter stating all these reasons and more. Let's just hope that others will follow suit and finally, we'll all get the WDW that once was and we all deserve.
I do agree with you on many of these points (and I'm not planning to read all the posts here). I agree with Yeto, I agree with bus sharing at MK resorts is un-necessary. And I 100% agree not needing to open another meet & greet, esp a princess one. As a mother of 2 boys I hate to see more princess stuff added. Why can't there we more boy things added? I get that Disney make more $ off princess things but cut the boys some slack will ya

Please don't leave the boards either. People do need you advice and opinions so I hope you stick around

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Dearest Walt Disney World peoples in charge,

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is James Rasputin Thick, and Iam a loyal, handsome, and financially sound man who has in the past spent thousands upon thousands of dollars staying within your magical world on my days of vacation. I adore what you offer to people like me and my family, and I cannot put into words the feelings I get when I push my muscular frame through the turnstiles for another day of countless hours of enjoyment.

No, make that another second.

I Jimmy Thick

Jimmy,

Does your muscular frame quiver with anticipation or just ripple as you push your way though the turnstiles?

To the Captain:

Take a few years off and go back after the FLE expansion is over maybe the magic will return. To much of a good thing can be bad.

Upvote 0

rufio

I think this is the whole dispute of the thread. Some are willing to overlook the lower perfection of Disney, while others are saying enough is enough.

What I see is Disney pushing to see what they can get away with regarding perfectoin. Until enough people get tired of the Yeti not working and other quality Disney was know for, nothing will change. Clearly there are more willing to over look the lower quality and find enjoyment. I'm one that is saying enough is enough and willing to stop plunking down thousands of dollars for average. I can get average anywhere for far less.

Obviously, WDW has room for improvement. We all know that Mr Yeti isn't working and that there are other things that could be improved upon. Taking all of this into account, I'm still not sure in what world Disney World is considered average.

Upvote 0

rufio

Another couple of things I'm not sure I understand:

1) People keep complaining that no money is being spent in the parks and it is all going to DVC resorts (which, by the way, I am fine with some of the budget being spent on DVC resorts as I am a DVC member). Meanwhile, the Fantasyland Expansion is in full swing, Test Track is undergoing refurbishment, Thunder Mountain just finished being refurbished, and Avatarland is being planned. How is it that no money is going into the parks?

2) I'm confused about the problem with shared buses. What is the proposed solution? Private limos for every resort guest? I've never seen a problem with the buses and have always found them (for the most part) convenient. Yes, we are paying $400 a night for the experience of staying on resort property, but you knew that when you booked the room, correct?

Just some observations.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

Obviously, WDW has room for improvement. We all know that Mr Yeti isn't working and that there are other things that could be improved upon. Taking all of this into account, I'm still not sure in what world Disney World is considered average.
It's fair for us to disagree what is viewed as average.

I don't see Disney being on the cutting edge of technology. I see them adapting to what others do and doing just enough to beat others. That could be in the way of purchasing those that have beat them in technology. To me that is averge. Let's take HP at UNI for example. That has attraction has beat the pants off Disney.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

2) I'm confused about the problem with shared buses. What is the proposed solution? Private limos for every resort guest? I've never seen a problem with the buses and have always found them (for the most part) convenient. Yes, we are paying $400 a night for the experience of staying on resort property, but you knew that when you booked the room, correct?

Just some observations.
Big issue with me is buses at the Epcot resorts. It wasn't always this way but an example of Disney becoming average. Yes it does go into my decision making. The best bus system is AKL. Probably because there isn't any other resort near or other available transporation. WL isn't bad as it usually only stops at FW.

The PO buses are better than Epcot resorts to MK.

Upvote 0

rufio

It's fair for us to disagree what is viewed as average.

I don't see Disney being on the cutting edge of technology. I see them adapting to what others do and doing just enough to beat others. That could be in the way of purchasing those that have beat them in technology. To me that is averge. Let's take HP at UNI for example. That has attraction has beat the pants off Disney.

I haven't seen that ride yet, but I will say that it's brand new. Give WDW a chance to make it up to us! They haven't built anything new (to my knowledge) since HP was opened. I think most people here will agree that Disney World is above average, otherwise we wouldn't be here loving it or spending thousands of dollars to visit.

Upvote 0

rufio

Big issue with me is buses at the Epcot resorts. It wasn't always this way but an example of Disney becoming average. Yes it does go into my decision making. The best bus system is AKL. Probably because there isn't any other resort near or other available transporation. WL isn't bad as it usually only stops at FW.

The PO buses are better than Epcot resorts to MK.

So what exactly is your proposed solution to this problem? What could WDW possibly do to make this more to your liking? They have provided resort guests with free transportation to and from the parks. Of course they are going to be crowded at times, but overall I feel like they are darn convenient and normally pretty punctual.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I find the concept that DVC has caused TDO the ability to slack on park upkeep interesting. DVC owners are return guests, every year (sometimes multiple times per year). These would be individuals who would be more apt to recognize maintanance issues and be able to "track" or notice a downward spiral. Why would Disney want those types of guests?

Because what's the harm in noticing things if the person keeps spending regardless? A frequent visitor is more adapt to seeing the little things - but the difference is what happens when they don't like it? In Cali - they are addicted to the AP's revenue.. so you have a very demanding audience... that you need to keep satisfied or risk losing too much money from those APs buying their passes. Compared to a DVC scenario... where the yearly spending is so much more guaranteed because people can't just say "I'm not using my DVC anymore!" - well they can.. but they need to put their money where their mouth is and most will just keep going anyways.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom