So my stand against WDW has begun

captainkidd

Well, yes and no. We're still going in July and January since we have AP's that we already paid for months ago. However, both trips we're renting points from a DVC member. I also cancelled our trip next August entirely.

I did a lot of reading on these forums last night about the current state of things at DLR versus WDW. Having never been to DLR (first time next summer), I can't speak for those. However, I can speak about the state of WDW. As anyone else here, I love WDW, however, I can't continue to ignore the obvious problems. I liken it to having to shut off a 20 something year old child who keeps asking you for money. If you don't stop giving it to them, they'll never learn, no matter how much you love them.

It isn't the price increases that is driving my decision. It's the lack of improvement I'm seeing at the resort as a whole.

-Yeti, still broken.
-Countless effects on Splash Mountain not working.
-No new E-ticket attractions in 5+ years.
-Disregard for simple maintenance issues at the GF (lightbulbs on Narcooses's.)
-Horrible video condition of Soarin'.
-Shared buses at resorts that charge over $400 per night.
-Lack of action regarding rude visitors (flash photography, smokers.)
-Closing of a classic attraction, simply to add another meet and greet.

These are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. Disney's utter indifference towards it's "Crown Jewel" has simply left me cold, bitter, and no longer wishing to spend any more money on their park tickets or resorts. Little good it may do, but I intend on sending Disney a letter stating all these reasons and more. Let's just hope that others will follow suit and finally, we'll all get the WDW that once was and we all deserve.

jlevis

Because what's the harm in noticing things if the person keeps spending regardless? A frequent visitor is more adapt to seeing the little things - but the difference is what happens when they don't like it? In Cali - they are addicted to the AP's revenue.. so you have a very demanding audience... that you need to keep satisfied or risk losing too much money from those APs buying their passes. Compared to a DVC scenario... where the yearly spending is so much more guaranteed because people can't just say "I'm not using my DVC anymore!" - well they can.. but they need to put their money where their mouth is and most will just keep going anyways.

I'm not a DVC owner and am not familiar with the program. Saying that, I'm confused. We own 2 weeks at Marriott Grande Vista and own points as well. We can elect to not use our weeks without any "putting our money where our mouth is". We can trade our weeks for Reward Points OR Destination Points. We can exchange for another resort or we can bank the week. This year we used Destination Points to go to Hilton Head. Last year we exchanged a week to go to Branson, MO. Next year we're trading both our weeks for Destination Points so we can do the train through the Canadian Rockies. All that and we still managed to do Disney twice last year and will do two weeks this year. My point is that timeshare ownership is about flexibility in vacation destinations. If a DVC owner wanted to make a point to TDO don't use your week at Disney go somewhere else.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
A few light bulbs burned out, some paint chipped, rude visitors. I never even notice these things. What we notice is the beauty of the parks, the cleanliness, the wonderful food and much much more. But it's your choice whether to visit or not. The visitors who come and/or the folks at WDW probably won't even notice your not there.

I notice all these things too, which is why I still love WDW. However, it goes beyond a few burnt out light bulbs. I don't want to start all over with the list, but there are things that I look at and just don't like. I think Downtown Disney is a perfect example. The Marketplace is still awesome and we love the shops and restaurants there, but has happened to the rest of the area. Pleasure Island is a joke. It's got a bad American restaurant and a Harley Davidson shop, while the plans for Hyperion Wharf sit in a shelf someplace. The West Side is even worse. They took out all the unique shops, and added boring mall shops. The only real money that's been put into DTD has been put in by an outside company (Splitsville).

A big thing for me (and I know this is really another thread) was the closing of Snow White, a full 2 years before we get the new attraction.

What happened to Fantasmic? It used to be shown twice per night, every night. Now, you're lucky if it's shown once per night.

Why, when I was staying at a $400 per night resort (Yacht Club), was I refused a cart to help me carry a 50 pound box from the Convention Center to my room? Why was I even carrying the box?

Why, when we asked for GAC at the Magic Kingdom because of my inability to stand in line from my sciatica, was I rudely asked by the cast member, "Gee, would you like to write you a note so you don't have to wait at the doctor's office as well?"

Look, no place is perfect. And maybe my expectations are too high. But I'll tell ya, when I used to go to WDW in the 80's, 90's, and early 00's, none of this stuff EVER happened. Cutbacks are all well and understandable if there's a need for them. But as so many people like to point out, Disney's attendance is through the roof. It's like working at a company for 20 years. For 15 years, you made money and the ownership always made sure everyone got a yearly raise. Then, a new owner comes in, the company's still making huge profits, but the raises stopped.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
I'm not a DVC owner and am not familiar with the program. Saying that, I'm confused. We own 2 weeks at Marriott Grande Vista and own points as well. We can elect to not use our weeks without any "putting our money where our mouth is". We can trade our weeks for Reward Points OR Destination Points. We can exchange for another resort or we can bank the week. This year we used Destination Points to go to Hilton Head. Last year we exchanged a week to go to Branson, MO. Next year we're trading both our weeks for Destination Points so we can do the train through the Canadian Rockies. All that and we still managed to do Disney twice last year and will do two weeks this year. My point is that timeshare ownership is about flexibility in vacation destinations. If a DVC owner wanted to make a point to TDO don't use your week at Disney go somewhere else.

I'm obviously not one to talk, as I'm about to drop a couple grand on food in a few weeks, but using your points to go elsewhere can only make Disney happy. It just means they have more units available to sell on a nightly basis. So now they've got the DVC owners money as well as the nightly buyer.

Upvote 0

Jimmy Thick

Great Point! I think when leadership changes at WDW and I think it will in the near future some or all of the issues addressed in this thread will be dealt with. It is still my favorite place, but I would not mind seeing some money spent on a few new attractions in Epcot and Hollywood Studios. As for the meet and greet where SNOW White was, they could have put another ride in their and maybe they will one day.

Why should leadership change at WDW when they are obviously doing something right? Meg Crofton deserves a heck of a lot more credit than she gets due to ignorance.

Jimmy Thick- Perception.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

. I suppose I am just so happy to have the transportation at all, avoiding having to drive my car everywhere, that I have never thought to complain about it. Some of the hotel stops do have CMs. If I recall correctly, the WL bus stop was always staffed during my 2010 stay there.

You've said again that deluxe resort guests should not have to rely on buses. This is the point I was interested in your solution to. What would we be relying on, if not buses?
I'm sure you know, transportation provided is a benefit to WDW.
1) Keep you are property, You are less likely to venture into Orlando where they may find funner things.
2) Keep high traffic off WDW roads, ie lower wear and tear on the road reduces maintenance cost.

I keep hearing Disney should but won't. This is guest accepting mediocrity which is how Disney gets away. Take away a little at a time

I read why come on the boards if there is so much dislike. Bacause many of us know what Disney is capable of accomplishing yet Disney choose to lower their standard. It is fighting for what we believe in that made this county what it is today. Change can only occur if someone stands up and fight even if they are the minority.

Do people know packages use to be delivered to your room and not have to be picked up at the general store? Small stuff like that made the magic and saw Disney going the extra mile for their guest.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

You would think the DVC owners would notice the maintenance issues and track them...which, many DVC members have. The problem is that they haven't become a vocal force for change like they could be and as say the locals in California are. Maybe they will in the future if Disney begins to feel stale to more and more people as is the case with captain and many others already on here. And Disney would still want those guests because they are committed revenue...for years and years and years they are going to be committed revenue. And money trumps all.
But what power does DVC owners have? They could sell their DVC. Hopefully someone buys it. If they sell, Disney doesn't care, someone else is paying Disney

DVC owners use their points for another Disney property, but as it stands, that is not a good value for the DVC owner. If you have bought resale with in the last year, that isn't a option.

Sorry but I don't see DVC having a voice that will make a difference. That is why I think DVC has hurt the parks.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Why should leadership change at WDW when they are obviously doing something right? Meg Crofton deserves a heck of a lot more credit than she gets due to ignorance.

Jimmy Thick- Perception.

But Jimmy, there's a difference between doing some things right, and not doing everything right. Of course, Disney does A LOT of wonderful things at WDW. But they also do A LOT of not so wonderful things. It shouldn't be all about the number of times the turnstiles click. It should be what goes on once inside the turnstiles that maters. Justin Bieber may sell millions of albums. Doesn't mean he's any good.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Do people know packages use to be delivered to your room and not have to be picked up at the general store? Small stuff like that made the magic and saw Disney going the extra mile for their guest.

Yup. And not trying to start a war, but Universal does this for it's guests.

It's not a big deal, but it's one of those little things that makes you stop and think "Hey, remember when we used to get better service?"

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

But what power does DVC owners have? They could sell their DVC. Hopefully someone buys it. If they sell, Disney doesn't care, someone else is paying Disney

DVC owners use their points for another Disney property, but as it stands, that is not a good value for the DVC owner. If you have bought resale with in the last year, that isn't a option.

Sorry but I don't see DVC having a voice that will make a difference. That is why I think DVC has hurt the parks.
I'm actually not sure what impact the DVC could have entirely either. But they are a group of mega fans invested in Disney and locked into long term commitments. And as I've been lead to believe, selling a DVC is much easier said than done. And with all the DVC units going up, I think at a certain point, Disney is going to way over saturate the market. But that's another thread. Anyways, at that point, if it becomes hard for you to dump something you've become unhappy with, hopefully you would start advocating for change to make the money you are paying worth while. I think the DVC members would have a better chance of Disney listening than say a group whose majority of members have only been once or visit only ever few years. If your consistently visiting, I'd say your complaints have even more merit, though the complaints of occasional visitors certainly do too, not trying to take that away.

Upvote 0

Computer Magic

Yup. And not trying to start a war, but Universal does this for it's guests.

It's not a big deal, but it's one of those little things that makes you stop and think "Hey, remember when we used to get better service?"
You have a better chance of starting a war by saying "Justin Bieber may sell millions of albums. Doesn't mean he's any good." LMAO

Upvote 0

Jimmy Thick

But Jimmy, there's a difference between doing some things right, and not doing everything right. Of course, Disney does A LOT of wonderful things at WDW. But they also do A LOT of not so wonderful things. It shouldn't be all about the number of times the turnstiles click. It should be what goes on once inside the turnstiles that maters. Justin Bieber may sell millions of albums. Doesn't mean he's any good.

It does not matter if Justin Bieber is any good, he sell's millions of records, so someone does actually consider him important to some degree. When people no longer consider what he does unentertaining, they will stop buying his records. Now if only people had that same logic in regards to Disney World.

Jimmy Thick- WDW would be a better place.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
It does not matter if Justin Bieber is any good, he sell's millions of records, so someone does actually consider him important to some degree. When people no longer consider what he does unentertaining, they will stop buying his records. Now if only people had that same logic in regards to Disney World.

Jimmy Thick- WDW would be a better place.

That's the difference between you and I Jim. I'm not saying you are wrong. But to me, quantity means very little if the quality isn't there. That being said, I believe quality exists at the majority of WDW. But I remember a time, when quality existed at ALL of it. It could be that way again, but changes need to occur.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not a DVC owner and am not familiar with the program. Saying that, I'm confused. We own 2 weeks at Marriott Grande Vista and own points as well. We can elect to not use our weeks without any "putting our money where our mouth is"

Trading out in DVC isn't very cost effective.. so its not something people will do in bulk all the time. And when you rent out.. Disney is still getting someone onsite in your place. You trade-out or bank, Disney rents out the room as a cash room... still getting someone onsite in your place (at least potentially). Each year the timeshare owner has money sunk into the property they MUST do something.. and almost all lead to Disney coming out ahead. There is no way you put your foot down and Disney loses... you don't create a void Disney doesn't easily fill.

Upvote 0

jlevis

I'm obviously not one to talk, as I'm about to drop a couple grand on food in a few weeks, but using your points to go elsewhere can only make Disney happy. It just means they have more units available to sell on a nightly basis. So now they've got the DVC owners money as well as the nightly buyer.

Point taken, but they have the owners money anyway. If enough DVC owners want to make a statement and go elsewhere that leads to a lot of empty rooms to fill. Maybe enough to get Disney's attention. I assume that rentals are handled by RIC and they take a cut. Anybody know what the nightly DVC occupancy rate is?

Upvote 0

jlevis

Trading out in DVC isn't very cost effective.. so its not something people will do in bulk all the time. And when you rent out.. Disney is still getting someone onsite in your place. You trade-out or bank, Disney rents out the room as a cash room... still getting someone onsite in your place (at least potentially). Each year the timeshare owner has money sunk into the property they MUST do something.. and almost all lead to Disney coming out ahead. There is no way you put your foot down and Disney loses... you don't create a void Disney doesn't easily fill.

If by "trading out" you mean exchanging to another resort what does it cost the DVC owner? If we exchange into another Marriott property there is no cost and if we trade to another company it costs are minimal. That is one of the disadvantage I see in DVC, the limited direct exchange opportunities outside of Disney. Anyway, The more empty rooms the bigger the void to fill. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that void is easily filled. What is the daily occupancy rate at DVC resorts?

Look, I'm a BIG Disney fan. It is why we chose Grand Vista as our home resort. I agree that DVC owners aren't going to rise up in the numbers needed to get Disney's attention. The problems at WDW aren't so egegious that DVC owners will put their indignation above their investment in DVC and walk away. Perhaps, a DVC owners "revolt" at a DVC shareholders meeting instead.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
Point taken, but they have the owners money anyway. If enough DVC owners want to make a statement and go elsewhere that leads to a lot of empty rooms to fill. Maybe enough to get Disney's attention. I assume that rentals are handled by RIC and they take a cut. Anybody know what the nightly DVC occupancy rate is?

No clue. There was a thread a while back saying that Disney holds a certain percentage of DVC rooms aside for nightly rentals according to some law. Not sure what that percentage is.

It's really hard to say. Seems like whenever you're looking for a DVC unit last minute, pickings are slim at the more popular resorts (Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge). I'd bet those 3 have the highest occupancy rates.

Upvote 0

captainkidd

Original Poster
If by "trading out" you mean exchanging to another resort what does it cost the DVC owner? If we exchange into another Marriott property there is no cost and if we trade to another company it costs are minimal. That is one of the disadvantage I see in DVC, the limited direct exchange opportunities outside of Disney. Anyway, The more empty rooms the bigger the void to fill. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that void is easily filled.

Not a DVC owner, but having done extensive research, it's all based on points. I can tell you this much: Your points go A LOT further at WDW DVC Resorts than they do at other resorts, including the Grand Californian or Disney Cruise Line.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

In completely non-related news, I know a girl whose boyfriend routinely disappears for days at a time, goes to an ATM to siphon money from her accounts without her knowledge, uses the rent money to buy PS3 games, and routinely refers to her "as that thing I **** when I'm drunk." She's decided that after she throws him a birthday party and pays for him and his buddies to go to Vegas, she's blowing him off for 2 weeks...at which point, she'll arrange that 3-way he's been demanding with her best friend.

THAT'LL teach him.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

No clue. There was a thread a while back saying that Disney holds a certain percentage of DVC rooms aside for nightly rentals according to some law. Not sure what that percentage is.

It's really hard to say. Seems like whenever you're looking for a DVC unit last minute, pickings are slim at the more popular resorts (Boardwalk, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge). I'd bet those 3 have the highest occupancy rates.

Also the smallest amount of DVC rooms.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom