So long Living Seas!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Well, having finished today's operation, the Living Seas pavilion at Epcot only has 6 days left before it closes for the big rehab.

I figured we'd count the days down and have a sorta "Living Seas Hoopla."

So, for day #6, the first day of our countdown - let's start the beginning. The making of the Living Seas.

Contrary to a lot of people's assumptions, The Living Seas is not an original Epcot pavilion. It opened after the rest of the park in 1986. Several portions of the attraction were altered, even from what books that Disney itself published said it would be like. A less-techno storyline and a longer ride with a "cradle of life" sequence and Poseidon as your guide were dropped and replaced with the educational film. Did you know the Living Seas' fictional SeaBase Alpha storyline is supposed to be in the year 2030?

The modules, interestingly enough, were always meant to exist in some fashion - even with the Poseidon style ride.

Intercot tells what actually happened better than I do: http://www.intercot.com/edc/LivingSeas/lsconstr.html

matrtj

Lets hope they put the slow ride through the aquarium (can't remember the propper name, sorry!) back in as part of the rehab - it was one of the best bits in Epcot. Watching all the fish from underneath was fantastic.

Since1976

Here's my own useless trivia:

Whenever I think of The Living Seas, I always remember part of an EPCOT Center commercial where Malcolm Jamal Warner (Theo from "The Cosby Show") is underwater snorkeling, and he sings/gurgles "The Living Seas!"

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
matrtj said:
Lets hope they put the slow ride through the aquarium (can't remember the propper name, sorry!) back in as part of the rehab - it was one of the best bits in Epcot. Watching all the fish from underneath was fantastic.

The Carribbean Coral Reef Ride - could they have made it any longer?

I suspect after the Nemofication they'd change it to be the Great Barrier Reef of Australia to better fit the general theme, but I dunno.

dandaman

I agree. The Sea Cabs were definetely my favourite part of the Living Seas... that, and Atlas. 'Course, Turtle Talk is there now... even so, I won't get to experience either of them. I'm missing the rehab closing by a DAY! :brick:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If ANYONE can get a video of the full preshow film (before the Hydrolators) I`ll be a friend for life!

(G - you already are! :wave: )

Mr.lightbeer

If turtle talk is a prelude of wuts to come then it shouldnt be tooo bad, I hope they bring back a shorter version of the sea cars though, that was a tid bit long. Also get those dolphins to come out some more, they seem to only be inside when its hot outside.

Captain Hank

marni1971 said:
If ANYONE can get a video of the full preshow film (before the Hydrolators) I`ll be a friend for life!

I'll second that! I didn't get a chance to see the film during my last trip, and I haven't seen the film in years. Actually, a general SeaBase Alpha tribute video would be most welcome.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Why pay when there are free ones? Hank; get on #disney central IRC; my Living Seas video has loads of Seabase footage from 1990 (and the Sea Cabs...just not the middle of the preshow)

PeeplMoovr

marni1971 said:

I think I'm going on Thursday, and if I do I'll bring along my digital video cam.
It'll still be open Thursday, right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
PeepleMoovr - I would think so. If needs be I have the opening of the film incase you can`t shoot before the lights dim - a CM may have his or her `no filming` head on. Not that I`d want you getting into trouble, distracting other guests (don`t use an LCD screen) or breaking rules, but this could be another bit of EPCOT Center gone forever. If you have any luck PM me and we`ll work things out. And ther`ll be a full tribute video in the making.

Thanks!

dxwwf3

I made sure to see the Living Seas preshow on this trip and I enjoyed it alot more now than I used to. Mainly because this was the first time I had seen the show since high school.

I'd love to see the full preshow on the internet sometime soon.

Ivan72

We will be arriving just in time to see it one last time in it's current state. Our family misses the Sea Cab ride, love to see some form of that again. My Wife and I saw LS the first year it opened (1986). Excited to see what they do with it.

Pongo

Out of sheer luck, a friend and I will be celebrating our birthdays (hers on the 16th, mine on the 30th) at Epcot on Saturday the 20th, the LAST DAY that The Living Seas is open in its current state.

Words do not express my emotions.

wdwishes2005

now i know this is far-fetched and highly unlikely/impossible, but woulgnt an expansion to includ an under water coaster be cool? you could have a large plastic bubble on the top of the car to make it waterproof.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom