So is the Hyperion Wharf project dead?

jt04

I think the on-line community is being sent a message loud and clear. I know I am the exception but this is good news IMO.

Bring on HW!

Mouse Detective

I think the on-line community is being sent a message loud and clear. I know I am the exception but this is good news IMO.
Bring on HW!

I agree that it's good news. The clubs reopening can't happen without new names for the night clubs. So the old names have to go first.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Bring on HW!

I agree that it's good news. The clubs reopening can't happen without new names for the night clubs. So the old names have to go first.

There's an assumption being made here. These clubs are also closed; removing the signage is also a necessary step making sure visitors don't assume they're still in operation. There's no evidence that third-parties have been contracted to fill the locations as of yet....

jt04

I thought when someone said they were removing the letters they meant the "Pleasure Island" letters.

So I guess it is possible they have canceled HW and will allow third parties to reopen the clubs.

And then other third parties at DTD will begin to have problems, security will be added, the new PI will become a barrier to foot traffic at which point they may gate the area off and charge admission and then it will fail financially.

BRILLIANT! :lol:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well the clubs have been closed for 3 years and they didn't see the need to remove them before now. So something is up.

When PI closed, the signs for Motion and 8TRAX disappeared immediately, and yet nothing came in there. Taking down the Mannequin sign is not an indication of anything, save for the fact it saves them from having to pay to light it....

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I thought when someone said they were removing the letters they meant the "Pleasure Island" letters.

So I guess it is possible they have canceled HW and will allow third parties to reopen the clubs.

And then other third parties at DTD will begin to have problems, security will be added, the new PI will become a barrier to foot traffic at which point they may gate the area off and charge admission and then it will fail financially.

You just STILL don't get it.:rolleyes:

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
When PI closed, the signs for Motion and 8TRAX disappeared immediately, and yet nothing came in there. Taking down the Mannequin sign is not an indication of anything, save for the fact it saves them from having to pay to light it....

it hasn't been lit since closing I don't think. I'd have to look back through my pictures. They took down other signs, but left Mannequins in place. Now they file permits and there are rumors of 3rd party takeover and they remove the name. They have no other reason to do so.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
it hasn't been lit since closing I don't think. I'd have to look back through my pictures. They took down other signs, but left Mannequins in place. Now they file permits and there are rumors of 3rd party takeover and they remove the name. They have no other reason to do so.

They also just took down banners at AMC that still had Starbilias' name on it. And Cirque recently got new signage as well. Sounds like mere housekeeping than anything else....

I have no doubt they're prepping the clubs for some eventuality, but there's still nothing to suggest they have any third parties ready to occupy them....

Master Gracey

Actually this scenario is almost acurate, minus the "third parties at DTD will begin to have problems" and "and then it will fail financially". Just change this to "and then the crowds will return and profits will soar once again", and then for the first time jt04 will be on the right track!

Also if I'm not mistaken, a majority of the public WANTS Pleasure Island turnstilled off and gate admission to be charged again.

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

jt04

Actually this scenario is almost acurate, minus the "third parties at DTD will begin to have problems" and "and then it will fail financially". Just change this to "and then the crowds will return and profits will soar once again", and then for the first time jt04 will be on the right track!

Also if I'm not mistaken, a mojority of the public WANTS Pleasure Island turnstilled off and gate admission to be charged again.

Oh, I am certain you are mistaken. This forum skews heavily to the desires of 20-something cast member demos. But the overwhelming majority of guests to WDW are not going for the night clubs. :lol: Of course, you will counter that Disney needs large clubs for workers and single guests to have something to do. While I can't argue with that necessarily, I will say that DTD is definitely not the place for such venues.

Master Gracey

Oh, I am certain you are mistaken. This forum skews heavily to the desires of 20-something cast member demos. But the overwhelming majority of guests to WDW are not going for the night clubs. :lol: Of course, you will counter that Disney needs large clubs for workers and single guests to have something to do. While I can't argue with that necessarily, I will say that DTD is definitely not the place for such venues.

Oh I'm certain that I am quite informed of the situation and Pleasure Island is definitely ready to rise again from the ashes! It is too bad for you that the forum does not skew to your demographic of one, but facts are facts, and the fact is that the majority of guests who visit Pleasue Island to this day continue to ask when the Clubs are opening. All those in favor of a turnstiled nightclub district returning to the heart of Downtown Disney please post "Kungaloosh"!

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!​

markc

They werent lighting the Mannequins sign though. Clearly, something is up. Motion and 8Trax went down immediately as they had plans to use 8Trax as storage only and Motion was to be used for private events while awaiting an imminent teardown. Mannequins was always left untouched because there were no plans for it. The fact that they've decided to put the effort to take the sign down finally means, at least, some decision has been made on what to do with it.

markc

Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me, JT. Pleasure Island was more than just clubs. The "Rock and Roll Beach Club" was just a glorified bar - yet patrons still packed in there. the ESPN Club is always packed, as is Jellyrolls. And alcohol, to this day, is one of WDW's best sellers and highest profit margin offering. EVERYBODY (well almost) likes to drink, and there was a study done years ago by WDW's pricing analysts that, I believe, that determined that the average guest 21 and over (excluding those at the MK) typically purchased, on average, at least 2 alcoholic beverages per day.

And Disney doesnt agree with your standpoint that clubs/alcohol venues arent welcomed at DTD. They clearly encourage drinking very heavily there still, with their multiple drink carts/counters, 3rd Party Tequila bar/restaurant, Cigar Bar, Bongos (which turns itself into a mini-Latin nightclub each night); and House of Blues - which is a very large club several days a week.

You've always missed the point. Disney doesnt mind clubs AT ALL. They just dont want to run them themself! Too much liability falls on them - and I think they would rather avoid it at this point and have somebody else deal with that hassle.

Just because its painfully apparent that you are in the minority when it comes to your views on alcohol or forms of entertainment - does not mean the rest of the world shares your views or has to be subjected, to what many consider to be, a boring way of life (I'm not a heavy club-goer, by any means, but I'm not one to force my views on what people should do by any means. Non club-goers have the parks and DTD to themselves prior to 11, those that enjoy those "evil" activities you despise should have the same rights after 11pm).

markc

You really do like to talk out of your behind, dont you? Your intelligence and knowledge is once again lacking - no surprise there.

For what its worth, the amount of security at downtown disney, is at nearly the SAME levels it was while PI was open (same amount of Orange County cops, same amount of Disney Security). And again - Disney WASNT losing money. Sosa Cigars, which I would've thought you would have had more of a problem with, is still doing financially well as a bar/cigar place - as is Raglan Road...and guess why? People like to drink and be entertained (SHOCK!!!) while on vacation.

jt04

You really do like to talk out of your behind, dont you? Your intelligence and knowledge is once again lacking - no surprise there.

For what its worth, the amount of security at downtown disney, is at nearly the SAME levels it was while PI was open (same amount of Orange County cops, same amount of Disney Security). And again - Disney WASNT losing money. Sosa Cigars, which I would've thought you would have had more of a problem with, is still doing financially well as a bar/cigar place - as is Raglan Road...and guess why? People like to drink and be entertained (SHOCK!!!) while on vacation.

Why would you think I would have a problem with Sosa's or Raglin? If you were as informed as you let on you would know I support the return of the AC and the Comedy Warehouse and possibly 8-Trax. What Disney should not do is create another large dance club in the heart of DTD that caters to off duty CMs primarily. It is no place for a Mannequins or venues like the ones just removed from the island. Should there be such clubs on property? Possibly, just not at DTD.

Now try getting informed before making yourself look.......um........less than informed. :rolleyes:

jt04

Your arrogance never ceases to amaze me, JT. Pleasure Island was more than just clubs. The "Rock and Roll Beach Club" was just a glorified bar - yet patrons still packed in there. the ESPN Club is always packed, as is Jellyrolls. And alcohol, to this day, is one of WDW's best sellers and highest profit margin offering. EVERYBODY (well almost) likes to drink, and there was a study done years ago by WDW's pricing analysts that, I believe, that determined that the average guest 21 and over (excluding those at the MK) typically purchased, on average, at least 2 alcoholic beverages per day.

And Disney doesnt agree with your standpoint that clubs/alcohol venues arent welcomed at DTD. They clearly encourage drinking very heavily there still, with their multiple drink carts/counters, 3rd Party Tequila bar/restaurant, Cigar Bar, Bongos (which turns itself into a mini-Latin nightclub each night); and House of Blues - which is a very large club several days a week.

You've always missed the point. Disney doesnt mind clubs AT ALL. They just dont want to run them themself! Too much liability falls on them - and I think they would rather avoid it at this point and have somebody else deal with that hassle.

Just because its painfully apparent that you are in the minority when it comes to your views on alcohol or forms of entertainment - does not mean the rest of the world shares your views or has to be subjected, to what many consider to be, a boring way of life (I'm not a heavy club-goer, by any means, but I'm not one to force my views on what people should do by any means. Non club-goers have the parks and DTD to themselves prior to 11, those that enjoy those "evil" activities you despise should have the same rights after 11pm).

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Zero.

See above post and stop making yourself look foolish. Oh, I guess it is too late for that. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom