So is anyone losing interest in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train?

kucarachi

So your saying FLE could not be better in any way? This is their best?

A lot of great new additions? aside from 7DMT or BoG, whats new, or great? The cloned Mermaid ride? Belles M&G? Its a M&G, nothing new besides where she is standing. Dumbo? The tents? lol. Gastons is new and the DVC shop is new. Please dont mistake my questioning as hatrid for FLE. I have enjoyed it many times, its a nice addition, but nothing on the level of what Disney Imagineering is truly capable of.

I have 2 boys and they loved Belle's storytime adventure, they would not leave dumbo's circus tent, and wanted to get drinks at Gaston's every day at the MK. And they are thrill seeking boys under 7. Im not sure really what else they could do? It has to be for the whole family to ride together..babies and all

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I have 2 boys and they loved Belle's storytime adventure, they would not leave dumbo's circus tent, and wanted to get drinks at Gaston's every day at the MK. And they are thrill seeking boys under 7. Im not sure really what else they could do? It has to be for the whole family to ride together..babies and all

Im not in any way saying the attractions are "bad". Just saying they could be better. They should be better. Especially storytime with Belle. Glad your boys enjoyed it though, its great for kids and their parents but how much nicer would it have been to have something more than the paper masks?

wannab@dis

A lot of great new additions? aside from 7DMT or BoG, whats new, or great? The cloned Mermaid ride? Belles M&G? Its a M&G, nothing new besides where she is standing. Dumbo? The tents? lol. Gastons is new and the DVC shop is new. Please dont mistake my questioning as hatrid for FLE. I have enjoyed it many times, its a nice addition, but nothing on the level of what Disney Imagineering is truly capable of or when they dont have to work on budgetary restraints due to bloated costs of infrastructure projects that wont get the ROI that actual "new blood" would bring
Anything and everything could be better!

The car you drive, the pizza you eat, the house you live in, the iPad you're (maybe) using right now. Everything could be better. But then reality sets in. That's the main problem... some people around here forget about reality. Those budgetary restraints are a simple fact of life. I'm sorry you don't like them, but it's a simple fact.

Now, you say NFL could be better. I say it could have been much worse. They really didn't need Beast's castle. They didn't need all that forest theming around the mine coaster. They sure didn't need those great looking AAs. They didn't need to double the number of Dumbos. So much less could have been done. They could have put M&G instead of the mine coaster.. oh wait.

That's the difference between the groups here and that's why the comparison to Dudley always wanting more is so appropriate.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Anything and everything could be better!

The car you drive, the pizza you eat, the house you live in, the iPad you're (maybe) using right now. Everything could be better. But then reality sets in. That's the main problem... some people around here forget about reality. Those budgetary restraints are a simple fact of life. I'm sorry you don't like them, but it's a simple fact.

That's the difference between the groups here and that's why the comparison to Dudley always wanting more is so appropriate.

Wasnt Disney World created to be better than reality? Reality isn't supposed to set in when your there. That's the whole point. Goes to show how they have now created a mindset of "good enough". Good enough is not what the parks were founded on. people have just forgotten what its like to be blown away and settled for mediocrity.

Last edited:

csm

Please show ANY post where ANYBODY has said they feel they "deserve" more. A comparison of what they used to accomplish in 4 years and what you get today for 4 years is a far cry from entitlement. Your just conveniently adding emotions that nobody never expressed in an attempt to make your argument more appealing. Please dont respond unless you can show a post where this alleged "entitlement" was expressed.

Here's a direct link to the post(s) you've expressed interest in:

forums.wdwmagic.com

csm

Basically, like the same people who couldn't wait to be in line the day Enchanted Tales with Belle opened, didn't realize it was simply a new home for the same Castle Garden show they'd done for twelve years (with upgraded effects), and said, "Wait, all they did was give us a show for kids?....They BETRAYED US! :cry: "

There are more letters in the alphabet than E.

:clappingfrommydesk:

Cesar R M

A lot of great new additions? aside from 7DMT or BoG, whats new, or great? The cloned Mermaid ride? Belles M&G? Its a M&G, nothing new besides where she is standing. Dumbo? The tents? lol. Gastons is new and the DVC shop is new. Please dont mistake my questioning as hatrid for FLE. I have enjoyed it many times, its a nice addition, but nothing on the level of what Disney Imagineering is truly capable of or when they dont have to work on budgetary restraints due to bloated costs of infrastructure projects that wont get the ROI that actual "new blood" would bring

You forgot the best addition by far...
tangled potty tower!

Cesar R M

Here's a direct link to the post(s) you've expressed interest in:

forums.wdwmagic.com
to resume, he as NULL proof..
:rolleyes:

Guy loves to point fingers!
but when targeted back, he goes full offensive.. calls everyone sheep then moves goalposts.

sigh, I honestly am really surprised he hasn't been banned yet. As 90% of the posts he has done.. seems to be to diminish the value of any other opinion than his(and in most cases.. in a very rude way).

EricJ

Well, then, it's a rehab, then, isn't it? :rolleyes:
When we say "What were you expecting?" from NFL, I think it comes to the proper emphasis, ie. "What were YOU expecting?", for example, or "What were you EXPECTING?"

Either answer to the rephrased question isn't exactly their fault.

PolynesianPrincess

I'm sorry, but I think you're highly uninformed.

FLE is not lackluster in the slightest possible manner. FLE is AMAZING and brought us a lot of great new additions to the MK as well injecting much-needed new blood into it.

Actually I am not "highly uninformed". FLE is NOT amazing. Is it good? Yes. Could it have been done better? Yes. Comparing it to another land in another Disney park, it could have been done MUCH better. FLE did not add "a lot" of additions. They added 1 new restaurant in BOG and 1 attraction (don't forget the Mine Train is in place of 20,000 leagues so that's a wash) Fairy Tale Hall also replaced an existing attraction so that's a wash as well. They didn't add things on a grand scale like you have stated. They changed things.

And MY opinion is MY opinion, and I can't be "uninformed" about that.

PolynesianPrincess

(FLE? I take it you're not referring to A Bug's Land?)

Universal isn't opening a "new attraction every year"...They're opening the SAME attraction, in different places, every year! :p
(Oh, wait, there was the Transformers, too. I forgot, Uni occasionally designs other new attractions that don't have Harry Potter or the Simpsons in them, while they let the Marvel, toon, and Seuss sections go hang. I've heard they've just started to notice the Jurassic Park section after these many years, but think it's just a rumor.)

FLE = Fantasyland Expansion. Comparing what TDO did with FLE and comparing it to Carsland, there is no comparison. Carsland is what every new Disney addition should be like. Carsland is the old WDW we know and love.

Escape from Gringot's is a completely new coaster in Uni in the HP expansion. Add that onto Rip, Ride n Rock it which opened in 2009, WWOHP that opened in 2010, Transformers in 2013, the Despicable Me ride in 2013 (while I understand this wasn't a brand new ride and replaced an old ride, at least they're updating things and keeping them fresh!) They're doing things the way WDW used to do them and while I am not a fan of Harry Potter or attractions with the use of so many screens (give me a white knuckle coaster or a classic dark ride any day) at least they are adding things. I think WDW is headed in the right direction now though. Overall though, I'm not totally pumped for the Mine Train. But as I stated in my first post, not all things will cater to me and I'm sure there are thousands of other people who are absolutely thrilled about it. And that's a good thing!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually I am not "highly uninformed". FLE is NOT amazing. Is it good? Yes. Could it have been done better? Yes. Comparing it to another land in another Disney park, it could have been done MUCH better. FLE did not add "a lot" of additions. They added 1 new restaurant in BOG and 1 attraction (don't forget the Mine Train is in place of 20,000 leagues so that's a wash) Fairy Tale Hall also replaced an existing attraction so that's a wash as well. They didn't add things on a grand scale like you have stated. They changed things.

And MY opinion is MY opinion, and I can't be "uninformed" about that.

While I agree with your general sentiment I have 1 exception. This is purely my opinion and how I look at things. 20,000 leagues closed 20 years ago. I consider Splash Mountain to be it's replacement. The 2 rides were technically open at the same time but for less than 2 years and the timing makes a lot more sense to me than saying Mine Train replaced it 20 years later. I know geographically Mine Train happens to be on part of the 20,000 Leagues land and Splash is on the other side of the park, but Splash is a true E ticket that was replacing another E ticket (granted it was dated, but still an E at the time).

Here is how I see FLE:
  1. Mine Train replaces Snow White which is a significant upgrade.
  2. Dumbo doubled and added an indoor queue which is a nice upgrade (especially in the summer).
  3. The rest of Circus Land is a wash with Toon Town.
  4. LM is an additional ride. Maybe not an e-ticket, but a new ride and a nice addition.
  5. BOG is a nice new restaurant. Most definitely needed at MK and is incredibly well done.
  6. Enchanted Tales with Belle is a significantly improved experience than the old show. Not a headliner, but a nice add.
  7. The Princess Hall and Tangled Toilets are also part of the addition.
So I'm in agreement that it's not amazing. It's well done with a number of quality improvements. To get to amazing status they probably would have had to add 1 additional dark ride (along with a fix to the LM show issues).

Kman101

Just because 20,000 closed so long ago, Splash was not it's replacement. But that's IMHO of course. Seven Dwarfs is literally on the spot of 20,000 and Little Mermaid replaced Snow White. Yes, to some it's upgrades but it's not really additions. An addition would be keeping Snow (or adding a new dark ride because of the new Mine Train coaster), building a new Princess gathering (I'm sure there was a generic shop they could have closed, the same merch is just about everywhere), adding Little Mermaid, etc.

But I see your points. And to me additions are something that actually expand the park. I don't count the Tangled potties, as nice as they actually are. It replaced they old Skyway building. Now if it was a Tangled meet and greet, then I'd call it a very solid addition, even if it was just a M&G.

Circusland replaced Toon Town, so again, not an addition. Why not both?

BOG is a very nice addition as is Belle's but it's just a more elaborate Storytime with Belle that was where Merida meets.

Of course they're just minor nit picks and I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. Visually, the new offerings are fantastic to look it but they just lack substance, which is disappointing. But to everyone of us who thinks that, there are many who just adore the new offerings, inside and out.

And they REALLY need to fix Mermaid. PLEASE TDO spend the money for once! It's so plastic looking. I liked the ride enough but was just not immersed like I feel on other dark rides, yes even with plastic cut outs. It was just so plastic and I couldn't help but look up at the ceiling. Ursula's section was well done. It was too short for me but it was well done. The ending also looks so plastic and Ariel and Eric in their wedding attire just look so fake and awful and small. I wasn't impressed. The queue is really really well done and I liked some of it. The Scuttle animatronics were very well done as was Ursula and I will forever enjoy Under The Sea music, even if the scene was sort of blah. But that's JMO.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just because 20,000 closed so long ago, Splash was not it's replacement. But that's IMHO of course. Seven Dwarfs is literally on the spot of 20,000 and Little Mermaid replaced Snow White. Yes, to some it's upgrades but it's not really additions.

Here is a simple way to look at it. Was 20k closed or removed to make way for these new things? No - it went away independently of NFL. Same with the Pooh play spot that happened inbetween. They used the land that USED to be 20k, but did not replace 20k. The things were independent.

The only 'replaced' kind of discussions out there worthy of merit IMO are the contents of storybook circus, which was directly responsible for finally killing off mickey's birthday land/toontown... and 7DMC and the decision to convert Snow White to a M&G location.

And they REALLY need to fix Mermaid. PLEASE TDO spend the money for once! It's so plastic looking. I liked the ride enough but was just not immersed like I feel on other dark rides, yes even with plastic cut outs. It was just so plastic and I couldn't help but look up at the ceiling. Ursula's section was well done. It was too short for me but it was well done. The ending also looks so plastic and Ariel and Eric in their wedding attire just look so fake and awful and small. I wasn't impressed. The queue is really really well done and I liked some of it. The Scuttle animatronics were very well done as was Ursula and I will forever enjoy Under The Sea music, even if the scene was sort of blah. But that's JMO.

If they just incorporated the redo that they just finished at the DCA version.. I think most people would be happy. The nitpicks (post-redo) are no greater than on any other ride IMO :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just because 20,000 closed so long ago, Splash was not it's replacement. But that's IMHO of course. Seven Dwarfs is literally on the spot of 20,000 and Little Mermaid replaced Snow White. Yes, to some it's upgrades but it's not really additions. An addition would be keeping Snow (or adding a new dark ride because of the new Mine Train coaster), building a new Princess gathering (I'm sure there was a generic shop they could have closed, the same merch is just about everywhere), adding Little Mermaid, etc.

But I see your points. And to me additions are something that actually expand the park. I don't count the Tangled potties, as nice as they actually are. It replaced they old Skyway building. Now if it was a Tangled meet and greet, then I'd call it a very solid addition, even if it was just a M&G.

Circusland replaced Toon Town, so again, not an addition. Why not both?

BOG is a very nice addition as is Belle's but it's just a more elaborate Storytime with Belle that was where Merida meets.

Of course they're just minor nit picks and I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. Visually, the new offerings are fantastic to look it but they just lack substance, which is disappointing. But to everyone of us who thinks that, there are many who just adore the new offerings, inside and out.

Circus land and toon land would have been completely redundant. No need for 2 kiddie coasters, 2 splash areas and 2 large meet and greet areas. The only thing lost with Toon Town were Mickey and Minnie's houses, but they were really just meet and greet sets.

My statement about 20,000 Leagues is probably controversial and not popular, but I'll try to lay out my logic. Part of Mine Train is built on part of the 20,000 Leagues Land but so is part of Enchanted Tails and the area in front of BOG. Part of Mine Train is on land that was backstage along with LM and most of BOG and Gaston's. It's semantics, but just because a ride existed many years ago that took up part of the same land doesn't mean it's a replacement for that ride. IMHO when Stitch took over at Alien Encounter that was a replacement. When Horizons closed and was demolished to make room for Mission Space that was a replacement. When Snow White Dark ride closed to make room for Princess Hall and was eventually replaced with 7 Dwarfs Mine Train that was a direct replacement.

20,000 Leagues did not close to make room for Mine Train. Mine Train came 20 years later. Why did 20,000 Leagues close? Many rumors exist, but the most common is it had very high operating costs and was also expensive to maintain. In 1992 WDW opened what is IMHO the best E ticket ride on property in FL in Splash Mountain. It's a long, complicated ride that is both expensive to operate and expensive to maintain. The bean counter in me looks at this and says there is a good chance they looked at the increase in operating costs and projected maintenance at MK after Splash opened and looked for ways to cut back. 20,000 Leagues was the answer. An operational nightmare with low ride capacity that was dated anyway in an already crowded part of the park. It was ideal to get the axe. I'm not saying there was a direct 1 for 1 relationship. I doubt it was ever an official plan to close 20,000 once Splash was open, but I think adding the expense of a super E ticket ride would probably lead to cuts elsewhere which naturally points to an expensive and dated attraction like 20,000. If you look at it on a timeline 20,000 Leagues closed within 2 years of Splash opening but Mine Train opened almost 20 full years later. Based on the timeline Splash opening was a lot closer to 20,000 closing than Mine Train.

If you are still with me at this point you are probably saying "what the heck is this guy talking about". Welcome to the way my mind works. It's just the way I look at things. I'm not saying its wrong to consider Mine Train a direct replacement for 20,000 Leagues since they occupied some of the same land. Just giving my logic for why I don't think it is. I'm pretty sure my opinion is in the minority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom