So I got this big funky survey about WDW in the mail today…

MrPromey

Original Poster
Ok, today I got an 8 legal sized page fine print survey from a company by the name of Market Facts out of Palatine, IL in the mail regarding WDW and other Orlando attractions in relation to WDW but it is mostly just about WDW. The accompanying sheet says that it was sent to 5,500 pass holders. Anyone else get one?

I’m trying to figure out if this is a survey being done on behalf of Disney or if it is from someone else doing some kind of sneaky research and trying to look like they are associated with Disney. Incidentally, nowhere in anything that came with the envelope do they say they are working for Disney but I can’t exactly figure out how else they would know I have an AP and have had one for at least the last three years since I’ve never filled out anything other than Disney stuff with that kind of info…

I guess that I’m probably going to have to call Disney to find out for sure before I fill anything out but I was wondering what anyone else’s take was on it if they got one.

The thing that is really odd about this is that it is patterned in a manner that is VERY similar to the Myers-Briggs typology test in that it asks very similar questions in a somewhat complex rotating pattern that makes it hard to cheat by saying what you think they want you to say (yes, I realize that I’m strange for noticing this kind of thing and knowing what it is about :rolleyes: ) In any event, upon realizing that they are being a bit sneaky in the way they ask the questions, it makes me even more suspicious. It could just be that it was very well designed and meant to get a true an accurate representation about how people feel about WDW and I have no problem filling it out if it is from Disney but like I said, I’m a little suspicious.

Incidentally, some of the questions that caught my eye were (BTW, they aren’t really questions, you rate the statements on a scale of 1-10 on how closely they relate to your feelings) the following:

“Going there isn’t as fun as it used to be”

“I love most things Disney”

“I just don’t feel that it is worth the money going there very often”

“I love seeing my child’s face light up when we there”

“Once you’ve been to Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, there’s not much reason to go back again” (they ask the same thing about MK, MGM and Epcot)

“I forget all my worries and just enjoy things”

“One visit a year to the Walt Disney World® Resort is plenty”

“I’m always thinking about going there”

“Walt Disney World® Resort’s rides and attractions are a little too tame”

“A trip there is worth every penny”

“Walt Disney World® Resort is too commercialized”

“Walt Disney World® Resort is a magical place full of fantasy”

“Unless there is a new parade, ride or show, I don’t see much reason to go”

“Walt Disney World® Resort seems to be getting stale”

“Even if you go there over and over, it never loses the special feeling”

“I enjoy going to other Orlando theme parks and venues more than going to Walt Disney World® Resort

I should note that this is only a small part of the questions that were on the survey and that they weren’t listed in the order I placed them. I looked up as I was typing and the first five or six were all sort of negative so I decided to do a seemingly negative statement between a seemingly positive statement so that I didn’t upset anybody ;)

They also ask questions about the individual theme parks “all the significant ones in FL including WDW” as well as Disney water parks in relation to other water parks and about Disney resorts and DTD and Cirque du Soleil and a whole slew of other things…

I swear, by the time I got done reading it I felt like I was back in school during mid term exams! I was expecting to look up and have someone say “You have 30 minutes left from this point”. At least there weren’t any essay questions, right? ;)

The Mom

Premium Member
Are you sure they weren't hired by US/IOA? :lol:

Perhaps 6 Flags is wondering whether Orlando can support another park?

At least they didn't insult you by offering you $2 to fill it out...like that's what my time is worth! If you're going to offer someone money,better make it a lot. Otherwise, just depend upon their better nature and offer nothing.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by The Mom
Are you sure they weren't hired by US/IOA? :lol:

Perhaps 6 Flags is wondering whether Orlando can support another park?

At least they didn't insult you by offering you $2 to fill it out...like that's what my time is worth! If you're going to offer someone money,better make it a lot. Otherwise, just depend upon their better nature and offer nothing.

Actually…

I forgot to mention that by participating (should I decide to do so), I am entered into a drawing with cash prizes:

There will be two prizes of $250, five prizes of $100 and one hundred prizes of $20…

That thing about it being Universal or Six Flags or someone else is kind of what I’m concerned about…

Much of the survey assumes that at least at one time, Disney was a happening place. A lot of the questions are asking if I’m spending more time in other places, if it is loosing the “magic”, if it seems tired and old, if the rides aren’t thrilling enough, am I going as much as I used to in previous years and so on. (incidentally, I haven’t been nearly as much this year but it is because of health related issues that have more to do with me surviving a day there than anything they aren’t doing right)

The questions are obviously written in a positive or negative manner on purpose. Since I can strongly agree or strongly disagree with any of them, they could all be worded in a positive manner or all be worded in a negative manner and in theory get the same information in the end…

They ask questions about the two Sea World parks, Bush Gardens, beaches, museums, shopping, short trip getaways, going out for dinner and relaxing at home as well… There are more Universal questions than there are any of these other things but at least 95% of the questions pertain directly to Disney.

I just know that even if this is for Disney, finding out is going to take some work. I don’t expect the people at the AP line to know anything about it or for whoever the first person they direct me to either. :rolleyes: Either way, if I can’t find out for sure, I’m not sending it back!
:mad:

wdw100

Phone or e-mail Guest Services and ask them what its about....because if its not them...Disney should know...whats happening!!!

Testtrack321

I'd anser negativly on all. Why?

a.) If it's a competator, then they'll think Disney's becomeing crap, and they can coast. That'll screw them up.

b.) If it's Disney, they'll see that people arn't falling for it anymore and they'll get some good stuff out soon (kinda like when IoA was going to come out, M:S, and various other rides would have gotten green lighted AND build ASAP at all their parks.)

Scar Junior

Originally posted by Testtrack321
I'd anser negativly on all. Why?

a.) If it's a competator, then they'll think Disney's becomeing crap, and they can coast. That'll screw them up.

b.) If it's Disney, they'll see that people arn't falling for it anymore and they'll get some good stuff out soon (kinda like when IoA was going to come out, M:S, and various other rides would have gotten green lighted AND build ASAP at all their parks.)

WRONG! If a competitor sees they are slowing up, they will realize NOW is the time to get the upper hand! Basic rules of competition.

I hope you're not going into business....

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdw100
Phone or e-mail Guest Services and ask them what its about....because if its not them...Disney should know...whats happening!!!

Yes, there is a number that is supposed to be specifically for pass holders. I have a feeling it is the same people answering that answer the regular ones but that they are just alerted by the number used to dial in that they need to ask for pass holder info so I have my doubts as to how well informed they may be… Having it through a 3rd party company ads still another level of complexity to the mix.

One thing I’ve learned about WDW (and all of Disney for that matter) is that it is like a giant octopus with a bunch of different “arms” only in Disney’s case, each arm has it’s own little brain and more often than not, one arm doesn’t totally know what’s up with the others. Believe me, the way some parts of that company are run, you would have a hard time thinking they were part of a multi-billion dollar empire if you didn’t already know it. Sometimes this is a cool thing and sometimes it is a bit scary.

Debbie

Why would Disney ask you and other passholders to fill out such an intricated survey? It reminds me of an MMPI; with the questions reworded and reasked throughout the survey. Makes you wonder why Disney (or whoever this is) wouldn't take your word for it the first response, and would feel inclined to re-ask the question, to make sure that's how you felt? Doesn't make sense to me.
If it were a competitor sending this survey-
1. I'd want to know how they got my name?
2. I could see them scrutinizing responses as "hmmmmm, they are not so definite in their feelings toward Disney."
Oh well, just my two cents. Mr. P, will you let us know when you find out?

Passport

And my question is, did they address the survey to you using exactly the name Disney has on file for you? Middle initial? Correct spelling? And have you ever used your passholder discount at any place other than Disney like The Virgin Megastore? That might have put you on a list somehow.
Answer the survey if you want. Just remember in doing so, you might be opening a huge can of worms by having your hame placed on a ton of mailing lists.

Passport

Last thing, go to marketfacts.com and see if the logos match with your survey. If they don't, then you know for sure that the survey if bogus.

Erika

Originally posted by MrPromey
So you know the area? :)

I do! It's not far, and I have spent a looooooooot of time there :lol:

My guess is that MF is a little hole-in-the-wall office somewhere. Do you have the street address?

amejr999

I'd say that it's really unlikely that Disney sent it out. Disney has their own research people- the ones who stand in the parks and take surveys. I've also gotten a few surveys in the mail from them. Since they have their own department doing surveys, why contract out?

Anyway, the street address is 3040 West Salt Creek Lane
Arlington Heights, Illinois 60005-1085
(847) 590-7000

Bairstow

Why on earth wouldn't you answer this survey truthfully? Whoever is issuing it, Disney or someone else, is doing so because they want to tailor their business to be more receptive to customer needs. It doesn't matter if it's another company asking questions about Disney World, as they are well within their rights to do so. Besides, the only way for them to have gotten all those passholder adresses was for Disney to sell tbeir competition that list, and that will never happen.
Testrack, your advice to purposefully answer incorrectly in order to throw off the results of the survey because it might not be Disney really bothered me. I can understand that you feel a degree of loyalty to the Disney company, heck, maybe you hold stock, I dunno, but as a consumer you need to realize that in a price war between Six Flags, IAO, and Walt Disney World the only who wins is you.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Originally posted by Bairstow
Why on earth wouldn't you answer this survey truthfully? Whoever is issuing it, Disney or someone else, is doing so because they want to tailor their business to be more receptive to customer needs. It doesn't matter if it's another company asking questions about Disney World, as they are well within their rights to do so. Besides, the only way for them to have gotten all those passholder adresses was for Disney to sell tbeir competition that list, and that will never happen.
Testrack, your advice to purposefully answer incorrectly in order to throw off the results of the survey because it might not be Disney really bothered me. I can understand that you feel a degree of loyalty to the Disney company, heck, maybe you hold stock, I dunno, but as a consumer you need to realize that in a price war between Six Flags, IAO, and Walt Disney World the only who wins is you.

If it is someone other than Disney, they may be “well within their rights to do so” but it is also well within my rights to answer them in any way I see fit or not to answer them at all if I so choose. As much as I would like to think that all of this information will be put to good use to better understand what the public wants, I realize that my survey has a unique identifying barcode on it which means how I answer these questions could be used to build a profile on me as an individual customer.

While as a consumer I trust Disney, I am a little more hesitant about extending that trust to some unknown company that wants to know about my feelings on Disney. I received on of the surveys that Disney sometimes sends out after asking you questions in the parks and the entire thing could easily fit on one page of this 8 page survey. This one is VERY detailed and it looks for than just my statements, it wants to know my attitudes and feelings about certain things (that is the point of tests like the Myers-Briggs personality type test). This isn’t the kind of information I’m willing to part with casually in an age when I get “official” emails from ICQ and Yahoo asking me to verify my username and password (that gets forwarded to a hotmail address). Or when I get unsolicited spam from companies that I would assume to be reputable or when I get an offer for a credit card in snail-mail that has an unbelievably low interest rate but that in the fine print informs me of a $250 annual fee…

In this day and age, I don’t expect any company to have my best interests in mind including Disney. The thing is that if Disney knows that I am a loyal customer, it is very much in their own best interest to be respectful of my privacy and use the information I give them responsibly. If on the other hand, it goes to a company that I don’t have a consumer relationship with, who knows?

What anyone is within their LEGAL rights do is not necessarily something that any consumer wants them to do. Just because something isn’t illegal, that doesn’t mean that it is moral or that it isn’t in any way damaging to someone.

MrPromey

Original Poster
Ok, I just spoke with two people from Disney. One was someone from pass holder relations that said they were not conducting any surveys geared or directed specifically to pass holders at this time and the other one from someone in marketing for the WDW resort said that if it were being done on behalf of Disney, I would see the Mickey ears logo in several places and it would say somewhere upfront before I began filling it out that it was being done on behalf of Disney… She also said that if it were being done on behalf of Disney, it would be a totally anonymous and would not identify the person who filled it out directly.

She in no way advised me as to weather I should fill it out or not but after me further describing it, she restated that this was not something sent out by or for Disney and strongly recommended that I find out who it is for before sending it in if I intend to do so… Hmm…
:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom