So how cold IS January?

Runtinkrun

So I am beyond excited for my trip in January..and have been mentally packing my suitcase for months now. But I've been on sites that say its around 70s for a high and as low as 30s for a low! I feel like I have to pack for every season! Has anyone else gone in Jan recently and know what its usually like? I'm having nightmares of stuffing my carryon with stray clothes so my checked luggage isn't overweight from my entire wardrobe! :eek:

The Mom

Premium Member
January in WDW is like April other places. :lol: I can remember being stuck in a blizzard (and went home to snow in my kitchen because I had left the window open the day before, because it was so warm) one year, and sitting around drinking iced tea another, because it was 90 degrees.

The same is true of WDW during January (except I've never seen it hit 90, but definitely 80s, and haven't seen it fall below the teens) So all you can do is watch the weather channel, and make sure you have at least one outfit from either extreme, and plan on layering the rest.

Upvote 0

tahqa

Figure on it getting into the 50's at night and the 70's during the day. It is also possible that it will get much hotter or much colder, but those aren't "normal" temps.

Upvote 0
I would pack for both types of weather. But we really like it. We ALWAYS go to the waterparks in January and it is really enjoyable. Sure, you can't be running around at night with a tank and some shorts, but it's ok. My personal fav time of the year to go. Not too hot and not too crowded. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Dangeresque

So I am beyond excited for my trip in January..and have been mentally packing my suitcase for months now. But I've been on sites that say its around 70s for a high and as low as 30s for a low! I feel like I have to pack for every season! Has anyone else gone in Jan recently and know what its usually like? I'm having nightmares of stuffing my carryon with stray clothes so my checked luggage isn't overweight from my entire wardrobe! :eek:

http://www.wunderground.com/history...ernational&req_state=FL&req_statename=Florida

This page should give you a good idea

Although is always seems to me that a 55 degree day in Florida seems colder than a 30 degree day in Boston

Upvote 0

MissM

That's almost impossible to say. It can be very warm during the day - high 70's or even low/mid 80's - or it can be cooler and only be in the 60's. January though WILL get much cooler at night. Unlike the summer where the temps don't really drop when the sun goes down, in our Winter, it does. So the evening and overnight temps can be in the 50's or can be in the 30's. You're looking at a huge range though of temps.

Your best bet is to check the forecast right before you leave - and still pack a little of everything. Tees and jeans are probably good for the day but you'll need a sweater or light jacket of some sort in the evening most likely.

There's such a wide range of weather in January, you'll really have to over pack to be sure you're covered. (Getting a locker and sticking in some hoodies or warmer tops can be a good idea if you don't want to have to go back to the room in the evening.)

Upvote 0

natalia1681

We are heading down in January for the second time. We went a few years ago during January. It was chilly during the evening and comfortable enough for shorts and t's during the day. I agree that light to mid-weight pants and a t-shirt may be best, with a long t or jacket packed into the backpack for the day.

Hope you have a great trip!!:wave:

Upvote 0

krisrunsdisney

Definitely check a few sources before you finally pack. January/February is such a fickle time of year. Sometimes it was cold, others we couldn't believe how warm it was. And the past two marathon weekends was a mix; warm to start, cold to end the trip. We pack so much everytime we go home, it's crazy.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

You will need to pack for both hot and cold days. We were there this past January 10 - 18th and wore shorts and tees on some days and jeans and sweatshirts on others. The early mornings are brisk, but the day times are perfect! Evenings, once the sun goes down are very chilly. I remember waiting on Wishes and whoa it was cold!!

Upvote 0

Debbie

January in WDW is like April other places. :lol: I can remember being stuck in a blizzard (and went home to snow in my kitchen because I had left the window open the day before, because it was so warm) one year, and sitting around drinking iced tea another, because it was 90 degrees.

The same is true of WDW during January (except I've never seen it hit 90, but definitely 80s, and haven't seen it fall below the teens) So all you can do is watch the weather channel, and make sure you have at least one outfit from either extreme, and plan on layering the rest.

I'm with Mom--bring a couple of fleece/sweatshirts/hoodies for the evening for sure. and just layer.......In January, jeans for day and night would suffice unless you come from such a cold area that ya just gotta break out the shorts to celebrate you are in a warmer climate for a week!

Upvote 0

Disney_Belle

I've been in past January's where it was in the mid 70's - low 80's for the week during the day, in the 50's at night. However, this past January, it was in the mid 50's during the day and one night it reached 34 degrees lol. There were a couple of warmer days, but we spent most of our trip in sweatshirts and longs pants, and at some points with gloves and hats because it got a bit windy at some points. Just pack some warm clothes as well as some summery clothes for the warmer days.

Upvote 0

petersenjp

January, plan on bringing everything. Warm days - Yes, Cool Days - Yes, Warm nights - Maybe, Cool Nights - Maybe, Rain - Probably, Snow - No.

If you dont plan on going back to your room during the day, I would layer clothing and bring a bag or rent a locker.

We have been down there 5 times in the past 6 years in January, and its still a mystery what the weather will be like.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Oh yeah! As you can see in my signature we've done this time of year a lot. LOL! I also grew up in Central Florida.

This past January right before we arrived there had been some overnight freezes. In fact, the morning we got off the plane in Orlando it was mighty chilly. While we were inbound on DME we saw some of the flower beds by GF covered with plastic to keep them from being frostbitten overnight. Within a day or so we were in shorts and tshirts. Just like everyone else, I recommend bringing some of everything and layering. We almost always get a locker. If we're in the parks early even on a shorts day we'll need something over our arms until it warms up then we put our sweatshirts or fleece sweaters in the locker rather than carry them around. Same goes for afternoon/evening park excursions. We'll start out in our tshirts but when the sun goes down will need to put something over our arms.

Keep an eye on the weather ahead of your trip but don't take it for gospel! Even if the forecast for the next week looks totally mild and warm or all chilly be prepared for anything. The forecasts can change dramatically from day to day. While you are there watch the weather updates when you're in your room as much as possible. Central Florida weather can be so sporadic and unpredictable that time of year.

Packing for all weather possibilities does add a lot of bulk to your luggage. I can say that from experience. When my family goes in January we each carry a big suitcase packed to the gills and usually a smaller one or two to boot. Doing laundry while there can easily be 6-8 loads (the washers are so tiny) every 4 days because of jeans, sweatshirts, etc. In contrast, when I went with my brother & nieces in May every last bit of my clothes including dresses, toiletries, blow dryer & flat iron, make-up, shoes, everything fit into one big suitcase with plenty of room to spare. I didn't have to stash a thing in anyone else's luggage. When I did our laundry it was only like 3 loads for the same number of people every 4 days because there was little bulk with tanks, t's, and shorts.

My best advice is be prepared for anything regardless of what the weather forecast says. :wave:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom