Snakes at Saratoga Springs

dmperry134

I just thought I would ask to see whether any you guys had seen any snakes at any of the resorts. Whilst we were staying at Saratoga last year (october) I saw a dark brown snake slithering across the road near Congress Park towards the lake opposite. As we are from the UK and we never see any, I thought I would pop into Bell services to find out what kind of snake it was and whether it was venemous. I was informed that it was a rat snake and there are loads in and around the bushes and there was also a small alligator in the large lake that has the bridge going across it. I asked why we were never informed of this on arrival or there should be some signs, especially as young children run around on the grass. They just said that there was a sign to say there was a fine of $500 if you feed the alligator, but I never saw one.

I realise that Disney was built on a swamp but I am somewhat surprised that there are no signs warning of the dangers.

Regards
Dave
:veryconfu:veryconfu:veryconfu

celticdog

What, are encephalitis carrying mosquito's being left out of this lovefest?

It's funny, that's the one bug I've never encountered on any of my trips. Not that I've seen all the bugs on my previous post. I have seen a Black Widow in a vent at a maintenance shed at ASMusic.

The squitos also carry West Nile Virus. We wouldn't want to leave that tidbit out.

Upvote 0

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
They also spray very heavily for sqeeeter's all over property...pretty much nightly. That's why dem sqeeeter's are few and far between.

And I have to agree - spiders and ants just give me the heeby jeebies! :eek:**shudders**:eek:

Upvote 0

dmperry134

Original Poster
Hi All,

Thank you all your replies, I wish I hadn't started this thread now I think Disneyland Paris is looking more appealing everyday. Ha, Ha!!!

I hope by starting this hasn't put anyone from visiting. I had been going for the past 7 years before I saw my first snake and it wasn't as if it was right by me.
WDW is still my favourite holiday destination and hope to visit again soon.

Thanks all

Regards
Dave (Worcestershire UK)

Upvote 0

kucarachi

We were in the lazy river at blizzard beach and i stopped to wait for a raft that had air in it...and sitting right there on the edge of the water was a brown snake coiled up and ready to strike. Luckily a cast member with one of those baywatch bats hit it on the head after i was karate chopping at it. But it is florida and there are snakes....disney doesnt have the power to kill all animals, and i often wonder how a place that promotes mice likes having snakes on their property.

Upvote 0

DABIGCHEEZ

We have seen numerous snakes(rat, king, water and milksnakes) on property.... in the theme parks, water parks, resorts and even DTD. Gators have been seen at MK, AK last year, and also in the waterway along the path from Boardwalk to DHS. I rather enjoy seeing them, just keep your distance and give them respect and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0

WDWRLD

I saw a snake just inside the front gate of AK....oh wait they were in cages. But really I have seen snakes and lizards everywhere in WDW. I also say a fairly small Alligator in the ROA a few years ago two days in a row. He was hanging out just at the edge of the bridge where the North flowing Mississippi flows into ROA.

Upvote 0

DicksonGR

Kind of off topic but on topic with wildlife at disney. I was glofing at the Palms golf course last week, and the GPS screen on the golf cart said "watch out for raccoons" My partner and I got a laugh out of it. BUt two holes later while we where putting guess what was ravaging our golf cart. Two raccoons, had his nose in my beer and stole my snickers.....:eek::eek:

Those raccoons must be the best fed anywhere in the world! :ROFLOL:
When that happened to us we didn't even get the warning! My girlfriend was riding along with me when playing at the Palm golf course. I heard her scream and turned round to see a raccoon wandering into the woods with my just opened bag of pretzels! He decided to come back for another look further on in the round, where luckily my hot dog remained safe!

Upvote 0

UKHelen

I had a very strange dream involving spiders last night and I'm sure it's from reading this thread yesterday...........notice how I've been drawn in again though!!!

Upvote 0

dmperry134

Original Poster
That was my intention when starting the thread, Ha Ha!!.

Seriously though I am still unsure whether to book in November as I am terrified of snakes and spiders, and will be looking everywhere in and out of the rooms, lobbies and pathways.

God I wish I hadn't had these phobias.

Rgds
Dave

Upvote 0

Ilovewishes

I'm from the UK too and I know what Dave means. When I saw my first snake out there, it was just sat in the middle of the path, all curled up, just at the exit to what was, at that time, Alien. The snake frightened me more than the ride did!!! And, on the same trip, we saw a large alligator at the Space Centre, sat very close to the path and I just refused to go that way!!! I was only 14 at the time and I've since seen loads of snakes, lizards and alligators out there so I'm a bit calmer about them all now!!

Last time I saw a snake there, was at Blizzard Beach and it was just sticking its head out of a bush as I walked past. It made me jump at first, but then I stopped to have a closer look and it just took itself back off into the bush after a couple of minutes!!!

I guess when all you're used to are badgers, foxes, squirrels and rabbits, Florida wildlife can take some getting used to!!!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Seriously though I am still unsure whether to book in November as I am terrified of snakes and spiders, and will be looking everywhere in and out of the rooms, lobbies and pathways.

Rgds
Dave
Watch a couple dozen episodes of the Croc Hunter and before you know it you will be wearing khakis, speaking with an Australian accent and grabbing venomous snakes by the tail while exclaiming. "Isn't he a beauty!"

:lol:

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Rgds
Dave

All joking aside....it's not like the property is crawlin' with these critters. In fact, I am regularly surprised at how few seem to spend their time on the property. The one thing you will see are the small lizards (anole) that were pictured previously. They are everywhere!

Upvote 0

DicksonGR

Rgds
Dave

Please don't let it deter you! I've been 8 times and only seen a snake "in the wild" twice - both of which were completely harmless. And I have never seen any spiders! When you've been once you'll realise that if you don't bother them, they won't bother you - thats if you see anything.

Nothing to worry about. I see more foxes here in Scotland in 2 weeks than I see snakes and spiders in Florida! You'll be fine.

Upvote 0

mary219

DM,i hear you.even though snakes are very commonplace in florida(we even have snakes in the weeds around brooklyn,where i live,as well as possum and racoon,rabbits,and tons of birds you would never expect to find in the city.And brooklyn is as far from the "wild" as you can get,right in the heart of nyc),I understand your thoughts on this.I would say that because disney world is a tourist destination that attracts people from everywhere in the world,it wouldnt hurt to post a sign to let people know about the animals that live close by.just mho.

Upvote 0

Philo

Rgds
Dave

Go ahead and book! I hate spiders and bugs of all kinds (although snakes I dont mind. I'm from the UK too but I must be in a more snake infested area because I see grass snakes alot!). You will see a few things as your wandering around but nothing that will make you scream

(disclaimer: if you see something that makes you scream don't blame me!)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom