Smoking ban at Disneyland and Disney World thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooter

I'm an ex smoker but I'll say this. If you're allowed to buy them, then they should supply you a place to smoke them. If smoking is that bad, they should make smoking illegal. Period. But they won't because it brings in too much money for the government and it makes the rich richer. It's like the government is two faced. "Smoking is bad for you so you should quit...but if you're willing to pay 80 dollars a carton then by all means have at it."
Having said that I really don't like Vaping...ever since I walked through that giant mango minty cloud of smoke near the flame tree smoking area a few years ago...eckkkkk!

Graham9

As a non smoker, I would welcome it. But if there were designated smoking areas in some secluded spot out the way, then I wouldn't really object. The fun comes when someone is determined to smoke outside these areas and the rules are simply ignored and not enforced by CM's, which then makes a mockery of the whole thing.

NickPytlinski

As a non smoker, I would welcome it. But if there were designated smoking areas in some secluded spot out the way, then I wouldn't really object. The fun comes when someone is determined to smoke outside these areas and the rules are simply ignored and not enforced by CM's, which then makes a mockery of the whole thing.

This. 👍👍👍

G00fyDad

I have a photo on my home PC that I took of one special person in Epcot by the front restrooms smoking while standing directly under a sign saying "NO SMOKING". :rolleyes:

thomas998

my wife smokes. we used to abide by the rules when the areas were in the park. and never really noticed anyone smoking outside these areas (not that we would look for it)

although it is a slight inconvenience. i'd rather disney put them where they have them now rather than a full smoking ban.

it does annoy me when im the other side of the park (maybe have a back entrance way that leads to out of park?) but hey ho. its all about choice. and find Disney have been fair with the rules.

however the magic kingdom one is a bit of a head scratcher. its right where the busses are lol
When they had smoking in specific places in the park it never made much sense in some places. I recall back when smoking as only restricted to specific places that we sat down to eat in DL at some table and I kept smelling smoke, was kind of annoying when we were clearly setting at table right by the place that sold us the food... after we left I noticed that someone in their infinite wisdom had put a smoking area just behind some landscaping so the smoke was pretty much always going to drift to where people were eating.

Graham9

You are right on Disney never enforcing rules in the park... look at line jumpers even if it happens in front of a CM they don't do anything, even if they say something to the line jumper they don't follow the Disney rules on line jumping so you aren't ever going to get them to enforce other rules inside the park.

The only place where rules are ever enforced is at the security checks to let people in. And given how some of their checks are insanely slow and thorough they could actually enforce the smoking ban, just don't allow anyone to bring in a cigarette, lighter, or any vaping equipment... If you don't have access to the cigarettes you can't smoke them even if you want to and if you aren't supposed to smoke inside the park then you have no reason to bring them with you.

I think the reality is, if someone is determined to bring in cigarettes, they are going to, regardless of any security checks, unless they are going to suddenly start strip-searching everyone which I very much doubt. If someone wants to have a smoke even when prohibited, someone somewhere will simply do it and in the confident knowledge that no one, especially a CM, is going to do anything about it,

Poppinsfan05

In the Parks
No
When was this total ban on smoking put into place. The last time I was at Walt Disney World was April 2019 and I don't really remember noticing anything even though I wasn't searching around for it. I am only 15 and I don't smoke or vape and think it is disgusting really, but after reading through this and I guess I am fine with a ban of it since I don't smoke, but really if it was enforced properly I really think it could have worked where the smoking areas wherever they were could have worked.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

OK - I smoked for 48 years :). Now? I use an ECIG.
Right now? You have far greater concerns than someone smoking :). To boot? NO one can catch me grabbing a few puffs per hour, at WDW (NEVER in a line). ECIGS are too tiny. They don't require 10 minutes of attention. You just can't get me.... and you have other, more important things, to worry about :).

So let's all focus on just staying alive. Our enemy is the Virus. All personal opinion.....

lemon peeler

People have a right to smoke? Remember as Disney is private property, the owners have to right to say what can be done on their property. So if you want or need to smoke go somewhere were it is allowed, not at Disney. The smoking area that I encounter while walking from BLT to MK is terrible.

HongKongFooy

Smokers are OK. I don't understand the overreaction. No big deal; smoke away I say as long as you're outdoors and don't blow it in my face.

NelleBelle

OK - I smoked for 48 years :). Now? I use an ECIG.
Right now? You have far greater concerns than someone smoking :). To boot? NO one can catch me grabbing a few puffs per hour, at WDW (NEVER in a line). ECIGS are too tiny. They don't require 10 minutes of attention. You just can't get me.... and you have other, more important things, to worry about :).

So let's all focus on just staying alive. Our enemy is the Virus. All personal opinion.....
You're correct, the virus is the enemy but for those of us with asthma or other respiratory issues, that's a worry as well; one whiff of smoke is enough to send me into bronchospasms and into a full asthma attack. So the struggle to stay alive is real (on both fronts)!

Parker in NYC

Walt was a heavy smoker. He kept it from the view of children. Who cares if you smoke but I say follow Walt’s lead and keep it from view while at Disney

Too bad he couldn’t keep it from his lungs. Too soon?

(It’s a joke, people. I’m all for smokers but I couldn’t let that one slide).

NickMaio

I am curious after hearing about the smoking ban at all Disney parks and resorts, how does everyone weigh in on this? For me, I have always felt smoking should be kept to restricted areas away from park guests especially children. The last time my family visited WDW between Christmas and New Years 2018, I did notice a large increase in people smoking wherever they wanted to including the vaping community. While I am a smoker, I understand fully why people would find that as a problem as there are several in our community that are sensitive to smoke due to health reasons. I never had any issue with going to a "smoking area" that was away from the crowds. Simple respect for others could have prevented this. However for the select few that felt they could smoke anywhere in the park and ignore the rules towards smoking and where is allowable to smoke has now killed it for everyone else. I make no claim that smoking or vaping is healthy in any form. During our family vacations spanning from 2000 through 2018, I have never had an issue with getting away from the crowds which probably contributed to me wanting to smoke more.. lol How does everyone else see this.. does making it to where you have to go to the pathways leading into the park where people will have to directly walk through smoke help at all or would the smoking areas IF ENFORCED within the parks be the better option..
Get rid of the cigs.....even the 'so called' smoking areas.
Make all the parks and shopping smoke free.

joanna71985

When was this total ban on smoking put into place. The last time I was at Walt Disney World was April 2019 and I don't really remember noticing anything even though I wasn't searching around for it. I am only 15 and I don't smoke or vape and think it is disgusting really, but after reading through this and I guess I am fine with a ban of it since I don't smoke, but really if it was enforced properly I really think it could have worked where the smoking areas wherever they were could have worked.

May 2019

NelleBelle

To keep this on topic, that would have made me smokin' mad! This is the point where I'd say "...and we drove past Disneyland for this???"
We mentioned how much better Disney did crowd control and then went to Disneyland a few days later (on New Years Day, when the crowd level was predicted at 10). It was NOTHING like the day at Six Flags. In fact, it felt like a regular/mildly busy day at WDW. We were able to ride everything and the wait times were not bad. We still were able to get FP for most rides (HM was a lengthy wait due to the NBC overlay). Give me Disney anyway! 😁

Club Cooloholic

Problem with vaping is that the stuff they are vaping isn't water vapor but some random mixture of chemicals that could end up being worse for you to breath than the cigarette smoke. Making it all the worse are the people that homebrew their own vaping juice such that you have no clue what the are putting in it. I know from my kids in high school that some high school students are using THC oil to create their own weed vaping juice which is not something most people want to have their kids inhaling... then you have the vaping addicts that seem even more hooked than a cigarette smoker and will continually vape all through the park, on ride, during shows continually as if they can't wait 3 minutes for a ride to end. Frankly a big cloud of vaping may not smell as bad as cigarette smoke but it actually is more distracting because it tends to be much thicker.

I would just like them to confiscate any vaping paraphernalia at the security checks, god knows they aren't finding many bombs or terrorist weapons so they might as well have their keystone cops do something useful.
I used to see it more, but I always thought the vapers blowing giant billows of smoke was ridiculous, especially in their cars.

Heppenheimer

Those of us allergic to cigarette smoke either suffered the health consequences if we couldn't avoid it or declined to do business in restaurants or other locations where smokers were. Many times I was tempted to walk up to one of them, cough right in their face, and say "Sorry. You exposed me to your nasty smoke. That was the result." Never did it though because that would have just lowered me to their same inconsiderate actions.
Goes back to what I wrote earlier. Previously, the social norm was that smokers could puff away almost anywhere and anytime they pleased. It was just something that the rest of us were expected to tolerate without complaint.

However, now rather than expecting non-smokers to navigate a smoking world, we expect the dwindling number of people who still choose to smoke to avoid exposing others to something we find noxious. The social norm has changed, to the point where lighting up in the middle of a Disney park is like cutting in line or yelling during an attraction. It adds an unnecessary unpleasantry beyond what is now politely accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom