Smoking ban at Disneyland and Disney World thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TnDizneyFan

Original Poster
I am curious after hearing about the smoking ban at all Disney parks and resorts, how does everyone weigh in on this? For me, I have always felt smoking should be kept to restricted areas away from park guests especially children. The last time my family visited WDW between Christmas and New Years 2018, I did notice a large increase in people smoking wherever they wanted to including the vaping community. While I am a smoker, I understand fully why people would find that as a problem as there are several in our community that are sensitive to smoke due to health reasons. I never had any issue with going to a "smoking area" that was away from the crowds. Simple respect for others could have prevented this. However for the select few that felt they could smoke anywhere in the park and ignore the rules towards smoking and where is allowable to smoke has now killed it for everyone else. I make no claim that smoking or vaping is healthy in any form. During our family vacations spanning from 2000 through 2018, I have never had an issue with getting away from the crowds which probably contributed to me wanting to smoke more.. lol How does everyone else see this.. does making it to where you have to go to the pathways leading into the park where people will have to directly walk through smoke help at all or would the smoking areas IF ENFORCED within the parks be the better option..

NelleBelle

The problem was we'd see people smoking all over the place and you'd tell a CM and nothing would be enforced. I'm highly allergic to cigarette smoke and have asthma--we've had people smoke in line and totally ignore you when you'd ask them politely to either move to the designated smoking area or to extinguish. What really made me lose it was when I became a parent and had little kids in line and they'd try and "hide" it by holding the cigarette down by their side...right in my kids' faces--I wasn't so nice at that point. So for me, I'm glad to see it completely banned. I don't have anything against anyone who smokes--my brother smokes, unfortunately. It does make it harder on him but he either wears a patch or hikes out of the park. That's my experience with it 😉

RScottyL

I am happy with the smoking ban, as I am a non smoker!

On the flipside, I am fine with vaping, because it doesn't have the bad smell that cigs do!

thomas998

I am happy with the smoking ban, as I am a non smoker!

On the flipside, I am fine with vaping, because it doesn't have the bad smell that cigs do!
Problem with vaping is that the stuff they are vaping isn't water vapor but some random mixture of chemicals that could end up being worse for you to breath than the cigarette smoke. Making it all the worse are the people that homebrew their own vaping juice such that you have no clue what the are putting in it. I know from my kids in high school that some high school students are using THC oil to create their own weed vaping juice which is not something most people want to have their kids inhaling... then you have the vaping addicts that seem even more hooked than a cigarette smoker and will continually vape all through the park, on ride, during shows continually as if they can't wait 3 minutes for a ride to end. Frankly a big cloud of vaping may not smell as bad as cigarette smoke but it actually is more distracting because it tends to be much thicker.

I would just like them to confiscate any vaping paraphernalia at the security checks, god knows they aren't finding many bombs or terrorist weapons so they might as well have their keystone cops do something useful.

NickPytlinski

my wife smokes. we used to abide by the rules when the areas were in the park. and never really noticed anyone smoking outside these areas (not that we would look for it)

although it is a slight inconvenience. i'd rather disney put them where they have them now rather than a full smoking ban.

it does annoy me when im the other side of the park (maybe have a back entrance way that leads to out of park?) but hey ho. its all about choice. and find Disney have been fair with the rules.

however the magic kingdom one is a bit of a head scratcher. its right where the busses are lol

Lilofan

my wife smokes. we used to abide by the rules when the areas were in the park. and never really noticed anyone smoking outside these areas (not that we would look for it)

although it is a slight inconvenience. i'd rather disney put them where they have them now rather than a full smoking ban.

it does annoy me when im the other side of the park (maybe have a back entrance way that leads to out of park?) but hey ho. its all about choice. and find Disney have been fair with the rules.

however the magic kingdom one is a bit of a head scratcher. its right where the busses are lol
Wearing the soon to be mandatory face masks will surely help not breathing the cigarette smoke nearby!

G00fyDad

Smoking was never a big issue for us. We rarely had to deal with that but the vaping crowd was a different thing entirely. There was always some special little creature standing near us in line with a vaping device exhaling large clouds of that crud without a care in the world about anyone else around them. I would usually get the "It's just water and flavoring!". Yeah?? Sure. They just squeezed those mangos and strawberries for your vape device didn't they? It isn't natural flavors genius. I'll err on the side of caution and go with the studies that say those things are bad for your health. ;)

Heppenheimer

By the way, has there been a new change, or is this thread merely a delayed reaction to the placement of the smoking areas outside the parks that most of us already knew about?

heapster411

As an ex-smoker, I understand both sides. Always used the designated smoking areas with the other lepers. Now with the areas moved outside the parks I believed the problem has been solved for the non-smokers, and kind of screwed the smokers. With all that being said, what's going to happen when Florida approves Cannabis as recreational instead of medical? You will have people claiming their right to smoke where they please. Just think of it as their emotional support smoke!

JIMINYCR

Youre very late to the discussion. When this first took place long ago, this topic created a host of fury from smokers who felt the ban/ restrictions were an insult and infringed on their rights. As a non smoker who doesnt like being anywhere near smoke I was very happy with the restriction policy. I only wish smokers observed the policy and CM's would have enforced it. I've seen many smokers continuing to do as they please and CM's unwilling to confront those who do. I think the smoking on the more isolated and unobserved AK paths were the worst.

Jon81uk

Youre very late to the discussion. When this first took place long ago, this topic created a host of fury from smokers who felt the ban/ restrictions were an insult and infringed on their rights. As a non smoker who doesnt like being anywhere near smoke I was very happy with the restriction policy. I only wish smokers observed the policy and CM's would have enforced it. I've seen many smokers continuing to do as they please and CM's unwilling to confront those who do. I think the smoking on the more isolated and unobserved AK paths were the worst.
I'm a non-smoker, but I would have thought that this is the big issue with having the smoking areas only outside the parks now. If someone is right into the Animal Kingdom, walking all the way out of the park is a long way.

TnDizneyFan

Original Poster
A couple of you said that I'm very late to this discussion, given I just started these forums then I apologize for not making posts before I was a member of these forums. I was looking for input about the topic not start an issue with people.

Shouldigo12

A couple of you said that I'm very late to this discussion, given I just started these forums then I apologize for not making posts before I was a member of these forums. I was looking for input about the topic not start an issue with people.
It's not a huge deal, it's not as if you're the first person to start a thread on a topic that's already been discussed. It's just that things got...heated the first time the ban was discussed on here. There were pages upon pages of arguing. Here's at least one of the threads about it.

NelleBelle

I think the topic is probably old enough now that feelings have probably died down enough that while it probably still evokes strong opinions, hopefully the stance is now “it is what it is” kind of thing (I mean, understandable when TDO first changed the policy but it’s been 2 years since the change)! And topics continually get brought up that have been discussed ad nauseum (e.g. covid and reopening anyone?) 😉

BoarderPhreak

5bd9bf7bb990d6ad6d9fff01ae597c82.jpeg

Disstevefan1

I used to go to the clubs and bars in the late 70s and early 80s and the air was thick with smoke (of all kinds :)) and it didn’t bother me then even as a non smoker. Today I can’t be near it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom