Smoking ban at Disneyland and Disney World thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarabellej

Frankly, I wish they would ban alcohol too.

The smokers in their smoking areas did not bother me, although it seemed like one area was along the back path between Space Mountain and near kiddie area. Or at least that was where people made it.

The drinking can be an issue. People get really gross and sloppy at Epcot World Showcase.

I used the restroom in Germany area and it was horrible how drunk everyone was. There were kids in the area, as there should be & they do not need to be around that sort of behavior.

G00fyDad

Capek will never get rid of the sale of alcohol it makes way to much$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Bill Burr Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

clarabellej

It can be. Every time we have ever gone there has been someone staggering drunk around World Showcase. One guy even staggered over toward my wife as if he was going to fall on or grab her. If his friends had not grabbed him to steady him and prevent him from latching onto her I likely would have laid him out right there. People want to drink at Disney then fine but if you cannot hold your liquor then don't drink at Disney. I know someone personally that intentionally drinks to get obliterated drunk when he goes to Disney.
We were in line to meet Duffy bear many years ago & two grown men behind us were drunk & making obnoxious comments. My daughter & her friend were probably pre-teens at the time. That is where I draw the line. This was broad daylight. Probably tequila related, bc as I recall the little gazebo Duffy was in, was not far from Mexico pavilion.

And it does not seem right that we should have to exit the park after a certain time of day.

Mr. Disney himself drank, but he respected that there was an appropriate time & place for it. He designed the parks to be a place parents & kids could enjoy together.

Maybe Disney could create more spaces just for adults & let those be the places that serve alcohol. There’s an idea.

G00fyDad

We were in line to meet Duffy bear many years ago & two grown men behind us were drunk & making obnoxious comments. My daughter & her friend were probably pre-teens at the time. That is where I draw the line. This was broad daylight. Probably tequila related, bc as I recall the little gazebo Duffy was in, was not far from Mexico pavilion.

And it does not seem right that we should have to exit the park after a certain time of day.

Mr. Disney himself drank, but he respected that there was an appropriate time & place for it. He designed the parks to be a place parents & kids could enjoy together.

Maybe Disney could create more spaces just for adults & let those be the places that serve alcohol. There’s an idea.
Disney started serving alcohol in places other than World Showcase years ago and I firmly believe that they did so in an attempt to spread this sort of behavior out a little bit so people weren't congested in one area drinking themselves to blackout. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker working in the field of addiction and I see this behavior all the time. If someone goes to Disney World and drinks themselves blind drunk then they probably have a problem and a 12-step meeting is probably in their future. 😉 Who wants to spend that kind of money to go to a family destination just to get hammered? I understand people want to drink and I'm not against it in the slightest. If someone wants to drink alcohol then that is their right but for someone to actively go to Walt Disney World with the intent to get blackout drunk is too much. (For anyone getting riled up in my comments, if you are going to Disney World and just simply drinking then this comment is not aimed at you. 😁👍). I don't even really like the people who drink until they become the loudest person in World showcase but I can tolerate that infinitely better then I can the person getting blitzed and staggering around puking in trash cans or into the bushes while their friends scream and laugh about it until they puke in a trash can or a bush.

thomas998

I am not a smoker so it has no impact on me. I am not surprised by this. It’s good PR and it reduces costs related to smoking.

What it really is, it’s all about control.

Having said that, there will be folks who smoke where and when they want to.

And as you say, enforcement will be the issue and not worth the trouble to these poor cast members to (try) to enforce it, especially when the guest is knowingly breaking the rules.
Given I've never seen a cast member enforce rules they see broken right in front of them, I doubt they will do anything to enforce the new rules. I can't count the number of times I see people line jump in plain view of a cast member that may at most give them a dirty look but do nothing to actually stop it from happening.

Goofyernmost

Oh on any given night there are way more than just one drunk idiot walking around.
In all my visits I have only noticed one small group of men sitting at some outdoor tables (not sure those are even there anymore) just in front of the Mexico Pavilion that were loud and obnoxious but they remained seated and were just gross among themselves. Sadly loud enough for everyone to hear.

As for smoking, I was a smoker for many years when I went there. One of the reasons that WDW was always so clean was because there were literally an army of CM's discretely placed to pick up cigarette butts the moment they hit the ground. When they went to designated areas the clean up crews were cut back drastically. Now with no areas the crews are gone completely and the place is a whole lot more of a mess.

However, when they went to areas I saw very few people smoking outside of them and believe me I was watching for them. Now without the areas I have seen a few more than before. I quit smoking a long time ago, but let me tell those righteous few that are so militant about it, once hooked on nicotine breaking away is extremely hard to do. At least with the areas there was a place for people to fix the extremely strong cravings. I feel for those people because I know how awful that feeling is. They could have put in areas that were not going to be traveled by non smokers with large signs to help those that were getting more and more tense by the moment. I would think that those people with that excessive need for coffee would be able to identify with what those others are feeling. Yes, it is a nasty, dirty and dangerous habit, but a habit it is and those frustrations are going to manifest somewhere and if it isn't lighting up where they aren't supposed to or deciding to punch someone because that someone looked at them wrong, it will come out. For every action there is an equal an opposite reaction. That includes emotional/physical reactions as well.

Goofyernmost

Maybe, but it's nowhere near the problem that people make it out to be.
What??? Are you saying that everybody with any connection at all to social back and forth tend to be sometimes a little over zealous in their assessment about the degree of problem that things seem to be? I am shocked, more shocked then I have ever been before in my adult life. Seriously, I'm not sure I can go on!

G00fyDad

Maybe, but it's nowhere near the problem that people make it out to be.
It's a big problem when every single time we go to Disney World we see multiple drunks in one night in World showcase. No one is saying there's a staggering blithering idiotic drunk every 20 feet. I don't think anyone has ever really blowing this out of proportion that I've seen. Even having multiple drunks in World showcase is a problem. But unfortunately that juggernaut of a money train has already left the station and Disney has no desire to do anything about it.

Bpmorley

It's a big problem when every single time we go to Disney World we see multiple drunks in one night in World showcase. No one is saying there's a staggering blithering idiotic drunk every 20 feet. I don't think anyone has ever really blowing this out of proportion that I've seen. Even having multiple drunks in World showcase is a problem. But unfortunately that juggernaut of a money train has already left the station and Disney has no desire to do anything about it.
I'm sorry, I don't recall ever seeing multiple drunks on any given day. So anyone saying they see alot is just not believable.

G00fyDad

I'm sorry, I don't recall ever seeing multiple drunks on any given day. So anyone saying they see alot is just not believable.
I know what I have seen. Imagine how much I care whether you believe me or not. 😉. Should I tell you that I don't believe that you didn't see the drunks?

Dave B

You have never been to EPCOT then, because you go there in the afternoon or evening and half the park is drunk, Especially in the World Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom