Smoking ban at Disneyland and Disney World thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

I am curious after hearing about the smoking ban at all Disney parks and resorts, how does everyone weigh in on this? For me, I have always felt smoking should be kept to restricted areas away from park guests especially children. The last time my family visited WDW between Christmas and New Years 2018, I did notice a large increase in people smoking wherever they wanted to including the vaping community. While I am a smoker, I understand fully why people would find that as a problem as there are several in our community that are sensitive to smoke due to health reasons. I never had any issue with going to a "smoking area" that was away from the crowds. Simple respect for others could have prevented this. However for the select few that felt they could smoke anywhere in the park and ignore the rules towards smoking and where is allowable to smoke has now killed it for everyone else. I make no claim that smoking or vaping is healthy in any form. During our family vacations spanning from 2000 through 2018, I have never had an issue with getting away from the crowds which probably contributed to me wanting to smoke more.. lol How does everyone else see this.. does making it to where you have to go to the pathways leading into the park where people will have to directly walk through smoke help at all or would the smoking areas IF ENFORCED within the parks be the better option..
I am not a smoker so it has no impact on me. I am not surprised by this. It’s good PR and it reduces costs related to smoking.

What it really is, it’s all about control.

Having said that, there will be folks who smoke where and when they want to.

And as you say, enforcement will be the issue and not worth the trouble to these poor cast members to (try) to enforce it, especially when the guest is knowingly breaking the rules.

Bpmorley

I believe this is less of a problem that people make it out to be on all these forums.
I like to drink, believe me I do. But I can go around the world twice and still be sober. I usually only go once due to the fact that it's alot of money.

Bpmorley

I am not a smoker so it has no impact on me. I am not surprised by this. It’s good PR and it reduces costs related to smoking.

What it really is, it’s all about control.

Having said that, there will be folks who smoke where and when they want to.

And as you say, enforcement will be the issue and not worth the trouble to these poor cast members to (try) to enforce it, especially when the guest is knowingly breaking the rules.
Back in August there were a few people who just lit up while walking thru the parks. One female CM told the male that he couldn't smoke and he just walked by ignoring her. Then I said something, then a few more people chimed til he finally put it out. Of course that was by tossing it on the ground and stepping on it and leaving it there. I just called him a scumbag and kept walking. I can guarantee he's one of the people that ruined it for smokers.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Love the smoking ban wish they would ban alcohol as well tired of seeing the drunks
Someone should invent anti-drunk goggles. They'd work just the opposite of "drunk goggles;" instead of making people look more attractive, they'd effectively filter out all the drunk people from your field of view.

G00fyDad

Or its just not as much as people on here make it out to be
It can be. Every time we have ever gone there has been someone staggering drunk around World Showcase. One guy even staggered over toward my wife as if he was going to fall on or grab her. If his friends had not grabbed him to steady him and prevent him from latching onto her I likely would have laid him out right there. People want to drink at Disney then fine but if you cannot hold your liquor then don't drink at Disney. I know someone personally that intentionally drinks to get obliterated drunk when he goes to Disney.

Diamond Dot

Plenty of places outside of Disney to drink yourself to oblivion and puke over other people, but, Disney does nothing to stop the 'Drinking Around The World' brigade. The only way to avoid them is go to EPCOT Monday to Thursday and be out of there by 4 pm on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
As for no smoking in the parks, don't make me laugh, I've only ever seen one CM ever tackle a smoker and that was in the days of designated areas. People happily and openly smoke despite the parkwide bans because they know no one will do anything.

jloucks

I have still yet to see these drunks everyone talks about
*raises hand*

Oh, I am one! ...but to be fair you wouldn't know unless you paid more than average attention.

I have also never yacked in the bushes. I have seen that, and draw the line a little before that happens.:p

Bpmorley

It can be. Every time we have ever gone there has been someone staggering drunk around World Showcase. One guy even staggered over toward my wife as if he was going to fall on or grab her. If his friends had not grabbed him to steady him and prevent him from latching onto her I likely would have laid him out right there. People want to drink at Disney then fine but if you cannot hold your liquor then don't drink at Disney. I know someone personally that intentionally drinks to get obliterated drunk when he goes to Disney.
You're almost on point with what I'm saying. I'm not saying that I haven't seen someone drunk there. I'm just saying it's minimal. I don't even know how many times I've been to F&W. I'm gonna guess somewhere between 50-75 times. Consider the amount of people in the park on any given day and then how many you will actually cross paths with. The park holds 110,000. Lets say it's half full on any given day. and you cross paths with 5%. You see 1 drunk. thats a low number.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
You're almost on point with what I'm saying. I'm not saying that I haven't seen someone drunk there. I'm just saying it's minimal. I don't even know how many times I've been to F&W. I'm gonna guess somewhere between 50-75 times. Consider the amount of people in the park on any given day and then how many you will actually cross paths with. The park holds 110,000. Lets say it's half full on any given day. and you cross paths with 5%. You see 1 drunk. thats a low number.

Walk me through that analytical process please?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
For the record. Smoking is not "banned". It's just been designated outside the parks. There are spots all over the resort (hotels, DS, Boardwalk, FW) that have designated spots.

Also, for the record. At least one person on every EPCOT "Drinking Team" is hammered. One is "really buzzed", a few "comfortably numb" - and there's always one that looks like they are having a really, really bad time.

TotallyBiased

I'm usually somewhere between comfortably numb and really buzzed if we're drinking around Epcot, depending on how much I've eaten at that point. I knew something was off when my wife was like, "Let's take a selfie." So here we are grinning into the phone... no flash went off... pause... wife goes "you're taking a video." Oh. It's a keeper though. Wife still laughs about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom