Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleMike101

Will they give us a cigarette along with the blindfold?
Sure.......
Candy cigarettes.....:joyfull:

celluloid

And have paid the required tip -- with an extra premium to pay for the bullets...Oh, sorry, not in the USA. Bullets only have to paid for if you are executed in the China park.

Billed to the family...with their magic bands and toilet information packet so they can pre plan their trip.

Phil12

Well they do already have my fingerprint but they ”say” that’s only to tie it to my band/card - and supposedly it’s discarded immediately. So if true, I’d think my fingerprint would be useless to them without the band (card)

Once Disney starts making me pose for photos or has the facial recognition warning posted - I’ll start using this:

View attachment 361245
They don't need to "keep" any of your bio-metric data.

Tanna Eros

It will be to go as you pull it behind you in a wagon.
But not a Keenz one.

Scorp 16, if I would opt for any disguise, I wouldn't do the Groucho, I'd do my best to look like Walt Disney. All these photos of him with a cigarette makes it seem like he'd have a little bit more leeway than a Marx brother.

Tanna Eros

\
After much thought, and considerations-

We did cancel our trip, we are not in their low income bracket for smokers. We are mid upper income level. 150,000 spent on Disney trips not counting extras.

I don’t care to go to the entrance to smoke, I care where I am going to have to go to cost me so much time. We are park people I smoke very little.
It was changing it so close to my vacation with no way to tell me what there plans were. (Phone call from Chapek’s office)

1500.00 bucks of our refund it’s tied to Disney Money.

Best way I see to handle that, is to donate. Proves my descust at what they are doing and let’s me do a good thing with our money. Challenge anyone that is peeved, donate to Gktw or Make a wish!
Contacting Pete, to help me get those funds out.

Challahs anyone who feels the way I do- donate make a wish, give his the world
I'm sorry that it wasn't possible for you to take your trip, I can understand, though. You weren't given enough time to allow for any game plan, and it seems that the corporation didn't have a game plan, either.
Thanks for the idea of Make a Wish.
To be honest, my husband has been dropping hints of other vacation spots as well.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
They did a study that showed that the average smoker takes about 20 extra minutes a day break just to smoke. Which is about 20 days a year that smokers are taking extra for a break.

Help me out with the math here or am I crazy? 20 minutes a day would be 100 minutes a week (20 minutes X 5 days). There are 52 weeks in year. That would be 5200 minutes (52 weeks X 100 minutes). There are 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day, so a day contains 1440 minutes (60 minutes X 24 hours). If I divide 5200 minutes by 1440 minutes, I get 3.6 not 20. Is my math bad?

BoarderPhreak

Help me out with the math here or am I crazy? 20 minutes a day would be 100 minutes a week (20 minutes X 5 days). There are 52 weeks in year. That would be 5200 minutes (52 weeks X 100 minutes). There are 60 minutes in an hour and 24 hours in a day, so a day contains 1440 minutes (60 minutes X 24 hours). If I divide 5200 minutes by 1440 minutes, I get 3.6 not 20. Is my math bad?
The general consensus is that there are 260 work days per year (in the USA) not including holidays/vacation. Let's assume 10 holidays and 10 vacation days (two weeks vacation).

20m x 240d = 4,800m. 4,800m / 60m = 80h or 3.33d. So... Nope. 🤔

Even if you smoked every day for 20m you'd still only come out to 5.07d. 🤷‍♂️

People CLEARLY smoke like chimneys on the weekends, holidays and vacations. 🤣

Castle Cake Apologist

BoarderPhreak

This is the "isolated smoking area" in The Land pavilion. As of 40 minutes ago, the wind was blowing the smoke into both stroller areas by Nemo. Tell us again how they isolated the problem..
Something doesn't jive. The wind was NNW at 15mph at 5:30pm. Going by your photo, you were standing approximately where the "D" is in the photo, facing the smokers. Basically, the light breeze would've blown the smoke away from both The Land and Nemo, towards the bathrooms(ish).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lensman

The general consensus is that there are 260 work days per year (in the USA) not including holidays/vacation. Let's assume 10 holidays and 10 vacation days (two weeks vacation).

20m x 240d = 4,800m. 4,800m / 60m = 80h or 3.33d. So... Nope. 🤔

Even if you smoked every day for 20m you'd still only come out to 5.07d. 🤷‍♂️

People CLEARLY smoke like chimneys on the weekends, holidays and vacations. 🤣
I think the key thing wrong with both these calculations is that when you convert the total break minutes back into work days, you're both using a 24 hour workday while we really need to use an 8 hour work day or whatever the standard work day is. So an 8 hour work day is a 480 minute work day. So in @Bullseye1967's calculation that's 5200 / 480 = 11 work days. In @BoarderPhreak's calculation that's 4800 / 480 = 10 work days. In both cases we're still off by a factor of 2 but it's much closer.

I dug deeper and the original study was misquoted, I think. I found this page that says:
Americans in technology, wholesale and retail, and finance and insurance spent more than an hour and 20 minutes each day on smoke breaks at work. Those breaks equated to over 40 hours a month and more than 20 days every year for each industry.
But even those figures in the article don't entirely line up unless you assume working 30 days a month and use 24 hours for the translation into a day, which I think is incorrect since the average worker doesn't work30 days a month and 24 hours a day. Sloppy.

If we do assume that the hour and 20 minutes a day is accurate, that ends up being about 40 work days lost a year. This in intuitively correct because an hour and 20 minutes a day is about 17% of the work day and 40 work days a year is about 17% of the work year. I can't speak to their survey methodology but here it is from: https://www.halocigs.com/labs/trading-in-smoke-breaks/
We surveyed 1,005 Americans from Amazon’s Mechanical Turk about the fairness of smoke breaks in the workplace. Fifty-one percent of participants identified as female, while 49 percent identified as male. Participants ranged in age from 18 to 73 years old, with a mean of 35. Participants were excluded if they were not paying attention (such as failing the attention check question or entering obviously inconsistent data). We weighted the data to the 2017 U.S. Census for age and gender. Hypotheses were then statistically tested.

The data we are presenting rely on self-reporting. There are many issues with self-reported data. These issues include but are not limited to: selective memory, telescoping, attribution, and exaggeration.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Well, if the number of smokers is declining, seems that they are meeting those needs. As the number of smokers declines, so do the smoking locations. Easy peasy.
And the number of vapors sky rockets. Your logic is wrong. Since vaping is listed by the US government as a “tobacco product “ which is clearly wrong according to every scientist and anyone with common sense you have to include them in your summation. ( They we’re losing to much tax money to people quitting smoking so decided not that long ago to put vaping in that category to collect their lost funds).

Amazes me how the government preaches about quitting and to improve your health, people listen, then they institute a high tax because they never had the foresight to know where their lost revenue will now come from.

Last edited:

PorterRedkey

You think this is about marijuana? The “great evil” of the pearl clutches?

No...not at all.

This is about numbers. Far more people are repulsed by smoking than tolerate it now...that’s just a 40 year trend.

Repulsion leads to more economic hesitation.

This is about profits...and profits flow along the path of lesser residtence.

With all due respect...it doesn’t matter what goes on in the smoking sections anymore.

As much as it did matter that we couldn’t fill the 3 outta 33 smoking buildings at Caribbean 20 years ago.
Then why did this go I to effect now?

Could it be because the new Florida governor just allowed the use of medical marijuana, a law previously blocked by Gov. Scott? It literally happened 3 days before the ban went into effect.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Then why did this go I to effect now?

Could it be because the new Florida governor just allowed the use of medical marijuana, a law previously blocked by Gov. Scott? It literally happened 3 days before the ban went into effect.

I think they’re just pushing smokers out for appearances to reinforce their economic interests.

I’m sure MJ has something to do with it...but not the prime directive

The Mom

Premium Member
I think they’re just pushing smokers out for appearances to reinforce their economic interests.

I'm not sure that MJ doesn't have more to do with it. Right now, tobacco smoking is illegal in certain places, but otherwise it's up to a property owner setting rules. It is not illegal for those over a certain age to possess or smoke in designated areas - only if you violate the rules will you be asked to leave, and you have no legal recourse. The owner cannot have you arrested for violating an owner imposed rule unless you refuse to abide it.

However, MJ IS illegal unless you have a medical license to use it - which is a different conversation; I'm already seeing ads for "Get Your Medical License Here!" .
How would a CM know if you are legally using it? He/she would have to ask to see your license. A CM selling alcohol can control sales - no license showing you can legally purchase it, no sale, but they have no control over the sale and use of MJ, so would have to go around each smoking area asking for licenses. If no license, security would have to be notified as the guest would be breaking the law - not just a park rule.

Wouldn't it be much easier for WDW to have smokers right next to security so a CM would not have to wait to resolve the issue? And would someone who is breaking the law hang around until security/police show up?

PorterRedkey

I have to disagree. Disney knew smoking was bad for years and years. It wasn’t until medical marijuana was allowed that this action went into action.

As far as an economic incentive, I think more smokers will just not go or go as often, not all smokers, but let’s say 10%.

MK has 20.45 million guests in 2017. Take the 10% of the guest as smokers (2.45 mil) and say 10% of the smokers decide not to visit because of the ban. That’s 245,000 fewer guests spending money at MK, not including the smokers who do this at the other parks.

I do hope that it will improve the appearance of the park, but if people are smoking anyplace they don’t see a cast member, it might be worse. At least before it was mainly confined to the designated areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom