Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

This thread is running 3 pages an hour. Who would have thought that many people care about smoking. As a former smoker I am glad I quit. I do however shock smokers by thanking them. They subsidize the rest of us by paying outrageous taxes per pack and the tobacco companies paying their settlements with the states.

jaklgreen

Exactly. People blow second hand smoke way out of proportion. Indoors they have a very valid point, but you’re not going to get cancer from getting a few whiffs of a cigarette for a minute or two while you’re on the steamboat passing the smoking section in Frontierland. I’m sorry, but you’re not.

Except for those people who have asthma, or are allergic to it and get physical reactions to it. If that happened to you or your child, you would be singing a different toon. Let's say there is a kid who is allergic to peanuts in your kid's class. They ask everyone not to send any peanuts because it can harm this child. Are you the type of person that thinks that is ridiculous and the kid is "blowing it out of proportion"? There is no difference. People have legitimate medical issues when it comes to cigarette smoke. But they are just supposed to suck it up, right? Because the smoker's right is more important then someone's health and safety?

eliza61nyc

Understandable... But this risk is ever present out in the real world. Does the Disney Bubble™ now extend to eliminating all potential risks to an individual?

Granted, a bit far flung example - but where does one draw the line?

We start with the little stuff. you are right, one can't protect everybody from every thing but we can start with the easy thing.

We know that smoke detectors save lives, so we encourage them in private homes and make them mandatory in a lot of places.
We know that distracted driving (texting/talking) causes accidents. No, we can't drive in every one's car but we can make it painful and hopefully alter some behavior.
We know that cigarettes kill. we know that cigarette cause catastrophic, horrible diseases that are fully preventable. we know that smoking causes almost 30% of cancer deaths. We know secondhand smoke kills also. I think there was a study a few years back that said something like simply breathing in secondhand smoke for 3 minutes causes your blood vessels to harden and causes irregular heart beats. so someone smoking next to you at a ball game can cause YOUR heart to go wacky. yes, that is a problem to me and that's where I draw the line.

personally I can't understand why nicotine is not a schedule I narcotic?? Now again, what anyone does in the privacy of their home, again have at it. I will fight for your right to do what you please in your home. absolutely.

Last edited:

Yert3

Except for those people who have asthma, or are allergic to it and get physical reactions to it. If that happened to you or your child, you would be singing a different toon. Let's say there is a kid who is allergic to peanuts in your kid's class. They ask everyone not to send any peanuts because it can harm this child. Are you the type of person that thinks that is ridiculous and the kid is "blowing it out of proportion"? There is no difference. People have legitimate medical issues when it comes to cigarette smoke. But they are just supposed to suck it up, right? Because the smoker's right is more important then someone's health and safety?

Sorry, but I was unaware some people’s asthma could be that severe. I know someone with asthma, inhaler and all, who both smokes and vapes frequently without issues. Dead serious about that, so I apologize for my ignorance. Still, there should be SOME special area where we can smoke.

eliza61nyc

Sorry, but I was unaware some people’s asthma could be that severe. I know someone with asthma, inhaler and all, who both smokes and vapes frequently without issues. Dead serious about that, so I apologize for my ignorance. Still, there should be SOME special area where we can smoke.

Hey Yert3,
I just pulled this quickly off of webmd. I'm sure there are better resources but this was quick

Secondhand smoke is especially harmful to people who already have asthma. When a person with asthma is exposed to secondhand smoke, he or she is more likely to experience the wheezing, coughing, and shortness of breath associated with asthma.

Secondhand smoke harms children with asthma even more than adults.

When a child is exposed to tobacco smoke, his lungs become irritated and produce more mucus than normal. Since children's airways are smaller, the side effects of secondhand smoke affect them faster and can also affect lung function in later life.

lol don't even get me started with people doing stuff when they have chronic conditions. I have a cousin who we call the "pathetic diabetic". that's a whole nother thread

Patcheslee

DH asthmatic is currently smoking he's actually went through less inhalers since he started.

dreamfinder912

But you want security trained to search for, locate, and confiscate tobacco. Honestly I’d rather they focus on weapons, and the nut case gun humpers that would being them in, as opposed to some guy’s pack of Camel Lights.

Plus, 99.9% of people who have them on hand are probably keeping them handy for when they follow rules and go to their designated banishment area in the back of Dopey parking in a coned off 10x10 area with 80 other smokers (that someone is going to walk within 50 feet of, and still complain the smoke is stunting precious baby Skyylarke’s innocent, patriotic lungs.

I agree. Again, I never said Disney WOULD go this route. I said it'd be the most EFFECTIVE and that it would alleviate pressure on average CMs just trying to avoid getting screamed at while working. My concern with this entire announcement isn't the feelings of either smokers or non smokers, but how on Earth Disney plans to enforce it. Short of having a squad of security around every shrub, the only way to keep smoking contained to outside the park would also be to keep the products themselves out. I understand completely that this isn't want Disney intends to do. It just leads to frustration on all sides. Smokers peeved that they have to trek out of the park to smoke and in some cases ignoring it. Non smokers peeved that some smokers are ignoring the rules. Some poor CM stuck in the middle of the inevitable arguments. Disney creates policies without reeeeally thinking through how they're going to handle it. It'll look great on paper, it'll look great for senior management, but it's going to suck for the people in the trenches.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I had an employee who's son ended up in the emergency room due to severe asthma attacks that couldn't be controlled at home. Chikdren have died from attacks. My brother, who is allergic to dust, mold, mildew, pet dander and just about every other respiratory allergen, is highly sensitive to cigarette smoke. His ex-wife had to quit before they got married. He has to live in a house with few soft surfaces - hard wood floors, metal blinds, leather couches, etc. He's had a long history of respiratory illnesses and was hospitalized several times as a child. His daughter had asthma. His son has inherited his father's predilection for allergies.

But I agree. This change isn't wise. Disney should have found better locations to restrict smoking to. I liked the idea of a gazebo with a ceiling fan. Those of us who don't smoke can avoid them. But to force smokers out to the security areas means now we all have to go through that area to enter the parks.

Paper straw fan

Oh it’s no doubt going to suck for CM’s. They’re either going to have to upset people who are already a bit chippy, or ignore what they see to not have to deal with it.

There’s going to be backlash. Disney just better be prepared for things to not go smoothly implementing these changes

jaklgreen

You know, the smokers DID have a place that they could smoke. And for the most part, it worked fine. I think the problem was that there were just too many smokers/vapors that could not follow the rules and smoked wherever they wanted ruining it for everyone. I am not going to lie and say that I am not happy about the ban. I have serious doubts that it will be enforced. I also am saddened that so many chose, and will choose to walk around the parks smoking. I don't pretend to understand this compulsion and need for having to have your cigarette right now. I think that it would mentally wear me down if I had a habit that ran my life like cigarette smoking does. I have seen it first hand and that is probably why I choose not to be that way. I only hope that those who want the help, get it.

LittleBuford

I'm expecting a DLP situation. A smoking free for all.

Perhaps someone else has made this point (I’m still near the start of the thread), but DLP has dedicated smoking areas. It’s not for lack of these that guests there smoke throughout the park. The US has a very different smoking culture from that of continental Europe, and I can’t see things at WDW ever becoming as they are at DLP.

Tanna Eros

It's not so much about cancer in my case. Every time I walk by a smoking area accidentally (some of them have been very poorly placed), I get a big whiff of smoke, and then I start coughing and wheezing. Then I usually have to take my inhaler. If it's a cigar, I have an even more serious reaction. My maternal grandmother was a smoker, and then she developed an allergy to cigarettes. Like, breaking out in hives from it. That made her quit real fast.

I'm personally very concerned about smokers lighting up wherever they feel like it. They already do it. A lot. At this point, I'm wondering how good any solution is that satisfies everyone.
I sympathize with you on this, as I get a huge migraine from perfumes and colognes, but these items are an everyday part of life for many people, and what am I to do? Ask them to wash it off? Change clothes? Berate them?
That's inhumane.
Like you, I bring a solution with me. I have headache pills wherever I go. It'll take an hour, but at least I'll be okay later on. The person wearing the scent doesn't know it's affected someone else.

Tanna Eros

I'm a person with asthma that smokes. The medicines now available sink my potassium levels so low to the point I can write on my skin and it'll show up welts, like Regan in "The Excorcist", so I reverted to the old ways. My great grandfather actually had "Asthma cigarettes". People have different triggers. The person you know might be like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom