Slinky Dog Dash rider experience and comments

21stamps

That is all true and good. But the poster I replied to to was talking about the launch as an argument that the front is more thrilling, which in no way made sense.

I think the most thrilling seats on a coaster are the very front or very back. For different reasons though.. In the front, the thrill is the view. In the back, the thrill is the speed.

ToTBellHop

That is all true and good, but I don't know where you got the false idea that I said there's no thrill difference. The poster I replied to was talking about the launch as an argument that the front is more thrilling, which in no way made sense. And the thrill difference is in fact relatively insignificant on a ride like RnRC compared to one such as BTMR. Not nonexistent, just relatively insignificant.
Tell that to my headache.

durangojim

That is all true and good, but I don't know where you got the false idea that I said there's no thrill difference. The poster I replied to was talking about the launch as an argument that the front is more thrilling, which in no way made sense. And the thrill difference is in fact relatively insignificant on a ride like RnRC compared to one such as BTMR. Not nonexistent, just relatively insignificant.
As the poster you're referring to, the front on RnRC is definitely more thrilling as no one is in front of you to block your view when you rocket out of the parking lot. That's why on ride videos are always taken from the front car;) Now if you keep your eyes closed the whole time then it wouldn't make a difference.

bclane

As a coaster goes up and down hills and through other elements it and accelerated and decelerate. Going over a hill, it decelerates until it's center of mass crests the hill. If you're in the front, you're over the hill and heading down at the slowest speed. Once the train start accelerating, the back is starting to crest the hill. Thus, the front and back experience that hill at different speeds.
Very true. Also it may be worth pointing out (for those that don't already know this) that you will feel different forces in different sections of a train depending on the coaster you are talking about and the element you are currently experiencing. And it's not always a front of a back thing. Riding Manta at Sea World in the back gives you the most speed coming off the lift hill and whip on a lot of elements. but the front gives you the most intense G forces during the large loop inversion. Sometimes the most intense ride experience on a particular element might be on the left or right side. It varies which is why it is fun to ride a coaster in different sections of the train to experience everything it has to offer. I for one usually prefer the back on smooth coasters, the middle on rough coasters and the front on all flying and inverted coasters, but I always try the different sections anyway and sometimes I find that I'm surprised by what ends up being my favorite section.

DisneyDebRob

I think the most thrilling seats on a coaster are the very front or very back. For different reasons though.. In the front, the thrill is the view. In the back, the thrill is the speed.
Love that back row in most coasters. Ride the front in the yeti and your almost down the hill before it picks up speed. Get in the back and you have a thrilling ride all the way through.

Kobe!!

If I'm driving in my car doing 60mph and I have a person in my back seat that person is also doing 60mph... just sayin.... smh.

bclane

If I'm driving in my car doing 60mph and I have a person in my back seat that person is also doing 60mph... just sayin.... smh.
Yes, and if you are in a roller coaster with only one short car, the people in the front and back seats will have a very similar experience. But the longer the train is, the bigger the difference between the physics affecting the front and the back depending on the roller coaster element you are talking about. For example, if you are on a roller coaster with many cars, the front will be going at a different speed when entering a loop than the back car will when it gets to the same point since the act of entering a loop will slow the train down and then exiting the loop will speed it back up. These speed changes are not experienced in the same way for the front and back of the train because they will be at different points in the loop when the speed changes occur. Depending on the size and shape of the loop as well as what came before and what comes after you might find that the front is a more intense experience and sometimes it’s the back. It all depends. It’s just physics.

Driver

As a coaster goes up and down hills and through other elements it and accelerated and decelerate. Going over a hill, it decelerates until it's center of mass crests the hill. If you're in the front, you're over the hill and heading down at the slowest speed. Once the train start accelerating, the back is starting to crest the hill. Thus, the front and back experience that hill at different speeds.
I rode the front seat twice, and as you said when you crest the hill you feel held back till the rest of the coaster crest. On a side note the merch is flying off the shelves. They have a cute head band with a slinky dog across it. So a quick look and it appears that you have a slinky dog straddling your head almost ear to ear.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I rode the front seat twice, and as you said when you crest the hill you feel held back till the rest of the coaster crest. On a side note the merch is flying off the shelves. They have a cute head band with a slinky dog across it. So a quick look and it appears that you have a slinky dog straddling your head almost ear to ear.

Why is there a dachshund humping your head?

dachshund

mergatroid

Yes, and if you are in a roller coaster with only one short car, the people in the front and back seats will have a very similar experience. But the longer the train is, the bigger the difference between the physics affecting the front and the back depending on the roller coaster element you are talking about. For example, if you are on a roller coaster with many cars, the front will be going at a different speed when entering a loop than the back car will when it gets to the same point since the act of entering a loop will slow the train down and then exiting the loop will speed it back up. These speed changes are not experienced in the same way for the front and back of the train because they will be at different points in the loop when the speed changes occur. Depending on the size and shape of the loop as well as what came before and what comes after you might find that the front is a more intense experience and sometimes it’s the back. It all depends. It’s just physics.

Bravo, explained very well there.

smile

Ride the front in the yeti and your almost down the hill before it picks up speed. Get in the back and you have a thrilling ride all the way through.

front pulls back over hill, back pushes front thru valley - so the diff in negative g-force at a peak is offset by the diff in positive g-force in a valley.
some like float (neg), some like smoosh (pos) - however, generally, neg g contributes more to thrill factor as opposed to pos g... any guesses why?

well, it's far more dangerous of the two; somewhat surprisingly, one can be subject to much more smoosh than float before negative consequences to human function appear

keep in mind 'hill' g's are based on the vertical plane (up/down) - we're also subject to lateral g whenever we make turns and/or linear g whenever we launch in a straight line

nuthin but a g thang... srsly

disneygeek90

I was sitting on my couch at 9:15pm last night, looked at the 45 min posted wait time on the app, and decided to spontaneously head over. It was drizzling all night but never enough to need an umbrella or poncho (at least for me). I was in TSL by 10pm and the land is truly impressive at night. I have not yet seen it in daylight but at night it really did feel like you were a toy walking around the backyard at night. The lights were great.

I explored the land for 10-15 mins and got in line for slinky at 10:15. The posted wait was 50 mins and I was on in 15 mins in the front row. I think it works well how they have the odd parties go to the right and the even to the left to make sure every car is running at capacity. Overall, I enjoyed it a lot and actually was a bit faster than I was expecting. For my mom that has the roller coaster speed of BTMRR, she will be sure to enjoy this one too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom