Slash and Burn ...

imagineer boy

Well, either way, its a sure fact that Disney's making a great number of cuts at the theme parks which is a horrible thing and must be stopped.

SSE

The problem is that when you cut ... even when things get better ... at least in Disney's case, you don't often put back what got cut.

When's the last time you got turndown service at Disney resorts? What happened to the Disney chocolates you'd get with your check at full serve restaurants? Has Spoodles or California Grill began serving lunch again and I missed it? Does Epcot ever close after 9 (or 9:30) p.m. anymore? Anyone seen a Swan Boat, Keelboat or Explorer Canoe at the MK recently? Anyone have lunch at the Odyssey after a ride on Body Wars and a showing of Making of Me or Cranium Command?

No ... because once Disney cuts something it usually stays that way forever.

I won't disagree with that statement at all. It really upsets me as such a lifelong fan that Disney has taken these steps to make cuts where they either don't replace what they have cut or put in something that is so obviously of little quality. I just watched a documentary tonight on Walt Disney's live action movies and they talked about how Walt was always about quality, quality, quality. Do the current execs even know what that word means. I know they know how to use the word, but do they understand what making quality attractions is anymore or how to put quality first.

jt04

First, thanks Jedimaster for a reasoned response to wdw74. It amazes me how he calls out people with the "fanboy" pejorative while at the same time his posts reek of fanboy-isms. But maybe I am the only one seeing that.

I have found a simple strategy that works for me during these creative droughts that occur from time to time at WDW (this is the fourth time in my estimation). I just don't go to the parks. I just wait until they earn my business back which can take years. Meanwhile there is plenty else out there to see and experience.

I highly recommended the rocky mountain states (no pun intended) and the United Kingdom. :)

Jimmy Thick

IF Disney has to make cuts, if it disrupts your vacation or not, its for the best interest for the company, and ultimately you. Let them run slim for a bit rather than run into the ground. This is business 101 and not difficult to understand.

Deal with it and grow up please

brianplace

different things...

Shuttering the Adventurer's club was kinda shortsighted - yes- though ultimately that, too, was about money (though not specifically related to the current economy) -- the Adventurer's Club didn't make as much as it should have. If/When that concept opens back up expect it to be engineered to make a lot more money.

These cuts are different though - if Disney does follow through with these & puts projects on hold, I will not be surprised. Their shareholders will expect it in the current economic climate--not putting everything on hold would be considered reckless. I am not sure really what the problem is here - yes, Disney has made a bunch of boneheaded moves at times but in this particular case EVERYTHING is going to suck everywhere for the next few years. Lots of people (even on this message thread) are going to unexpectedly lose their jobs. People aren't going to have a lot of disposable income to throw at dream vacations. Look at the aggressive offers you've seen recently (the very sweet hotel & merchandise offers that really have no precedent) and tell me that this isn't a direct response to the economy.

Disney has always been an escape from reality as much as possible, but in this case reality is intruding and I think that's probably what's getting people upset. I don't think there's much that can be done here - it doesn't mean they'll put these projects on hold indefinitely (if they do), it just means they will be delayed. Along with everything, everywhere else...

epcotWSC

Economically, things may only get worse for a while and Disney has to think about themselves before others as most people and especially companies would do. Cuts suck and will hurt people's vacations. That is mainly the hours and probably customer service if CMs are cut more than anything else. The other factors won't affect people directly. If less attractions are added and the parks aren't improved, most people won't know all that much anyway. Of course it still hurts because reoccuring attendance may fall, but other than that, most things will stay status-quo based on people's availablilty of money for vacation. For most people if they want to go to WDW they will go regardless of if there are new attractions, longer hours, the park looks cleaner and fixed up than its current state, and other factors. Disney World is still Disney World for 95% of the people who go. That said, when you're running a business what can you do at this point when the economic structure of your country is falling apart?

At the same time, with interest rates in the basement and only going lower, it's a great time to expand and build for when things look good again. The problem is can Disney even take out loans to build more anyway? With the way things are, many big companies are having a hard time taking out loans.

I would think that if they could take out low interest rate loans that they could really fix up and build up the park to an unbelievable state at a much cheaper cost (less interest cost) while this mess gets cleaned up. When things improve (I don't know if what it was will ever be "normal" again) then WDW will be in a great spot to succeed. At the same time, cuts while doing this kind of stuff would make sense. Save here and invest there.

However, I don't think I see Disney doing this. They're trying to save and not invest anywhere. Short-sighted without looking at the long-term. An intelligent company should be able to adapt to short-term issues but also have a good long-term plan to put themselves ahead of the competition when things improve.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But when information is passed off as the gospel, when in reality it is all a Disney Fan Boy fantasy, it needs to be brought to peoples attention.

Yeah. You're the one to set the record straight, right?:ROFLOL:

I am no Disney fan boy and my fantasy would be for things to be a helluva lot better than they are. I take no joy in bad news.

But Merry Christmas!:xmas:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Tomorrowland DL Subs.

We have hope.;):wave:

The McPoohPlayground.

We don't have John Lasseter.

(And to be fair I can give five examples of attractions at DL that closed and were never replaced in the past decade or so ... most in T-Land too! So what I am saying is that was a unique situation.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
First, thanks Jedimaster for a reasoned response to wdw74. It amazes me how he calls out people with the "fanboy" pejorative while at the same time his posts reek of fanboy-isms. But maybe I am the only one seeing that.

Yes. His response was reasoned. I didn't even know until five minutes ago that the poster in question is all of 17 years old. A mere baby in the world.

And yet he had a very rational, articulate response ... one that I didn't find much fault with until his close (which made me think he may have a future ahead of him as a WDW PR hack!)

FWIW, I have never put anyone down for being a 'fanboy' ... what would the Disney universe be without 'em, right?

But if you think my posts come off as fanboy drivel then I'd suggest you develop more critical thinking skills.

I have found a simple strategy that works for me during these creative droughts that occur from time to time at WDW (this is the fourth time in my estimation). I just don't go to the parks. I just wait until they earn my business back which can take years. Meanwhile there is plenty else out there to see and experience.

I highly recommended the rocky mountain states (no pun intended) and the United Kingdom. :)

That much we can agree on. I think far too many people are afraid to travel anywhere that's strange to them. Hell, I think many WDW fans would be scared to death out in Anaheim let alone if they went to Paris, Tokyo or Hong Kong, to see other/better Disney resorts.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Shuttering the Adventurer's club was kinda shortsighted - yes- though ultimately that, too, was about money (though not specifically related to the current economy) -- the Adventurer's Club didn't make as much as it should have. If/When that concept opens back up expect it to be engineered to make a lot more money.

NOT COMING BACK!

These cuts are different though - if Disney does follow through with these & puts projects on hold, I will not be surprised. Their shareholders will expect it in the current economic climate--not putting everything on hold would be considered reckless. I am not sure really what the problem is here - yes, Disney has made a bunch of boneheaded moves at times but in this particular case EVERYTHING is going to suck everywhere for the next few years. Lots of people (even on this message thread) are going to unexpectedly lose their jobs. People aren't going to have a lot of disposable income to throw at dream vacations. Look at the aggressive offers you've seen recently (the very sweet hotel & merchandise offers that really have no precedent) and tell me that this isn't a direct response to the economy.

Disney has always been an escape from reality as much as possible, but in this case reality is intruding and I think that's probably what's getting people upset. I don't think there's much that can be done here - it doesn't mean they'll put these projects on hold indefinitely (if they do), it just means they will be delayed. Along with everything, everywhere else...

Except the competition, which is in rougher shape than Disney. They're investing over a billion in Orlando over the 2008-2010 timeframe.

Again, the smart business, the one looking to be in good shape when things get better (and they will ... eventually) knows it needs to have something to offer to entice people to come back ... and maybe get them there now.

You don't do that by cutting. You do that by investing.

Labor, materials and construction are all at lows. That's why you spend now (saving money in the short term) while adding value in the long term.

Do you really want to see the same tired, stale MK offerings in 2012 that you see now? because that's how things are stacking up ...

agent86

When at WDW next year look for attractions to become 'seasonal' ... you like things like CoP and the Swiss Family Treehouse and the Liberty Belle? I'd enjoy em in the next few weeks myself.

Let me see if I've got this straight... We're currently experiencing the worst economic crisis of my lifetime, and Disney has the audacity to take three of their least popular, least attended, most boring attractions and possibly make them seasonal? And you're "disgusted" by this?? Wow! Didn't major in business, did you?

I don't see why Disney's all doom and gloom about these economic times while Seaworld and Universal are investing so much into their resorts. Don't Staggs and Rasulo see this?

Why is it that Disney's hurting and all the other resorts are investing? If they were to keep building quality attractions during these times so that when things get better, and they will get better, people will come in DROVES to see all the new attractions. They may not bring in the crowds now, but in the future they will.

You need to invest money to make money.

WDW1974 said:
NOT COMING BACK!

Way to dash the hopes and dreams of all the AC fans, WDW1974. Can you leave them alone in hoping that the AC will come back?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Yes. His response was reasoned. I didn't even know until five minutes ago that the poster in question is all of 17 years old. A mere baby in the world.

And yet he had a very rational, articulate response ... one that I didn't find much fault with until his close (which made me think he may have a future ahead of him as a WDW PR hack!)

FWIW, I have never put anyone down for being a 'fanboy' ... what would the Disney universe be without 'em, right?

But if you think my posts come off as fanboy drivel then I'd suggest you develop more critical thinking skills.
You've never put anyone down for being a fanboy, but you attempt to dismiss someone who provides a rational response to you overly doom and gloom report of rumour as "A mere baby in the world"? You took most of what he pointed out and tried to say "See? you're saying the same things as I am!" when in fact he was putting significantly less negativity into his summation on what we can expect in the short term from Disney. I don't care what your sources are for whatever you post because by the time you've put it in your own words it no longer has value.

Your negative slant and your arrogant defence of it removes any credibility from anything you post.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You've never put anyone down for being a fanboy, but you attempt to dismiss someone who provides a rational response to you overly doom and gloom report of rumour as "A mere baby in the world"? You took most of what he pointed out and tried to say "See? you're saying the same things as I am!" when in fact he was putting significantly less negativity into his summation on what we can expect in the short term from Disney. I don't care what your sources are for whatever you post because by the time you've put it in your own words it no longer has value.

Your negative slant and your arrogant defence of it removes any credibility from anything you post.

Bravo Monty. Your last line sums up my feelings exactly.

Of course you will now be dutifully dismissed for disagreeing with the DISNEY GOD!

edit: (I love alliteration)

MousDad

It's really all about timeshares at this point, but one must really wonder what kind of market there is ... especially when Marriott and Hilton are offering higher quality products for less money.

I have a hard time understanding if/how/why TWDC would be putting there eggs in the DVC sales basket the way things are now. If things get bad in 2009, I would expect DVC sales to be one of the first things to drop drastically, well before resort bookings and park attendance. Does anyone know how sales of the new BLT are doing? Better question, does anyone know what percentage of BLT sales are rollovers of existing owners? My guess would be 90-100%.

My strategy would be to put all resort development on hold and invest in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom