Signature Drink at Gaston's

threeyoda

Original Poster
Via the Disney Parks Blog:

We think this signature beverage will be a big hit at Gaston’s Tavern when New Fantasyland opens later this year – LeFou’s Brew, named after Gaston’s sidekick in “Beauty and the Beast.” It’s no-sugar added frozen apple juice with a hint of toasted marshmallow, topped with all-natural passion fruit-mango foam. We bet the souvenir steins and goblets are going to go fast. (And, yes, if it sounds familiar, guests at Cars Land at the Disneyland Resort may have tasted the frozen concoction at the Cozy Cone.)

The quick-service restaurant, created to look like a comfy lodge in the English countryside, will be a great place to escape from the Florida sun. Outside is a statue of Gaston hoisting two kegs of his favorite brew; inside he’s center stage in a big portrait over the fireplace.
The signature sweet at Gaston’s, by the way, is warm, gooey cinnamon rolls, served all day.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Anyone tasted this out in DCA and can report on how good / bad this is? I'm assuming they are cloning the drink because it is successful?

CinderellyKelly

Here is their answer to Butter Beer. It sounds good! I am loving all these news updates we're getting now! So so so so so very excited for the new Fantasyland expansion to open!!!

I thought the same thing! Sounds delish!! I hope the cinnamon rolls will be like the ones at the bakery!

MissM

The "no sugar added" part worries me. That's normally translation for "added artificial sweeteners."
yucky2.gif
I seriously hope they mean exactly that - no added sweeteners of ANY kind. If it has artificial sweeteners, it excludes me and many others who chose to avoid them. (Or who are allergic like I am.)

MKCP 1985

Glad to see they created a signature drink for the tavern. Nobody really thought they would start serving alcohol in the Magic Kingdom, but had the tavern sold only the standard Coca Cola products, an opportunity would have been lost.

I'll wager this will be a big hit.

And if it turns out the fad fades, as suggested by Nim, there will be the opportunity to come up with something else.

JCtheparrothead

Looking forward to trying it. Sounds like the Carsland version is being compared to a Caramel Apple type drink. It also got good reviews just do a search on Carsland and Apple Freeze.

SirLink

The goblets and mugs look too cheesy for my standards.

Reminds me of something I'd get in a Happy Meal.

Yes - I was trying to think of the right word for it but Happy Meal-esque is a good way of describing it. There are problems with regard to what this drink is, personally IMHO it should be using more of that French flavor and less of that 'One Disney we can easily reproduce this for cheap' flavor.

lazyboy97o

That this is a direct lift from something at Cars Land is just sad and pathetic. The cups just make it worse. Why would Gaston have an image of Belle wearing a dress he has never seen her in that was given to her by the Beast?

Red's Apple Freeze is alright, but not as good as Doc's Wild Grape Tonic.

Neither is nearly as good as either version of Butterbeer.

And why is the lodge English? The film clearly takes place in France.

Weather_Lady

I agree that the mugs look terribly cheap and the "Belle Palace Chalice" doesn't fit the backstory of the tavern -- they look like a Chinese-made Disney knock-off you'd find in the Dollar Store and buy for your toddler who enjoys dressing up as Gaston and playing "tea party for alcoholics." I assume [read: hope] they'll have a "non-souvenir mug" option for those who'd prefer to have a cold glass stein, or a well-themed sippy cup or something. You know, for those of us who like to drink our apple juice in a sophisticated way! Humor aside, I do think the drink sounds tasty and refreshing.

At first blush, I thought the cinnamon buns were a wasted opportunity, in that I think many tourists would prefer something salty, fried and crunchy when they walk up to a "tavern" -- what we typically think of as "pub food." But on second thought, I suppose there are enough french fries, pretzels and chicken nuggets in the park already. A cinnamon roll would seem to pair well with the beverage offering, and will add a little bit of "food diversity" to that area of the Magic Kingdom. (That being said, I can't see my family wanting to stop in to Gaston's for a cinnamon roll -- we have Cinnabons in the mall, for heaven's sake! LeFou's Brew, if the price is within reason, is a little more enticing.)

I'd still have preferred to see some onion soup, venison skewers and an artisan cheese and charcuterie plate, but hey, a cinnamon bun is better than a stick in the eye. ;)

JustInTime

I called this years ago when the concept art was released. Butterbeer has been so successful they'd be crazy not to try and rip it off. Lord knows it won't be as good though.

JustInTime

That this is a direct lift from something at Cars Land is just sad and pathetic. The cups just make it worse. Why would Gaston have an image of Belle wearing a dress he has never seen her in that was given to her by the Beast?

Red's Apple Freeze is alright, but not as good as Doc's Wild Grape Tonic.

Neither is nearly as good as either version of Butterbeer.

And why is the lodge English? The film clearly takes place in France.

Actually, I wouldn't be shocked if it was developed for both since the concept art from 5 years ago depicted this drink. I would imagine it was actually developed FOR BATB but since Carsland opened first, it got to serve it first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom