Sightlines are being destroyed everywhere

montyz81

Original Poster
Wasn't Walt Disney's opportunity to correct some of the issues of Disneyland the purpose of Walt Disney World? Can you see the HM, PotC, and IaSW show buildings? Since when is it ok to see the show building for Tron, GoTG, or event Soarin? The laziness is out of control within Imagineering. These pictures make me cringe, and it costs much more to be able to see the sloppiness.

Lilofan

Wasn't Walt Disney's opportunity to correct some of the issues of Disneyland the purpose of Walt Disney World? Can you see the HM, PotC, and IaSW show buildings? Since when is it ok to see the show building for Tron, GoTG, or event Soarin? The laziness is out of control within Imagineering. These pictures make me cringe, and it costs much more to be able to see the sloppiness.
Do you remember when the ugly blue hat in front of GMR at DHS was being built in the muddle of the park? What a sightline that was.

castlecake2.0

I’m assuming a berm will be added around this once major construction is done to help hide the view.

lazyboy97o

I’m assuming a berm will be added around this once major construction is done to help hide the view.
A berm would have been part of the water management plans and would have been built by now. Doing it now would require some major site work as the site would have to be rebuilt to support a berm, change how storm water flows through the area since it’s path to the pond would now be blocked, and again change the pond itself.

castlecake2.0

A berm would have been part of the water management plans and would have been built by now. Doing it now would require some major site work as the site would have to be rebuilt to support a berm, change how storm water flows through the area since it’s path to the pond would now be blocked, and again change the pond itself.
Maybe berm not the right word, but you’d think they add some sort of tree line between storybook circus area and this side of the building. I know they planted shrubs along the barnstormer queue recently that should grow in and help hide things.

Goofyernmost

Well, it was those coaster fans that continuously clambered for more coasters that required some degree of height to them. If the building bothers people they should ask themselves what alternatives there are. The water table in Florida is about 4 feet and since the demand is for things that are 30 or more feet high there really is no place to put it other then above ground. You cannot have both unless the area lends itself to easily being hidden. Soarin' was one of he buildings that had to be in plan sight if we decide it is more important to look up instead of concentrating on eye level. When it was first built I did indeed notice the building but haven't actually noticed the building for past 16 years. Enjoy the attraction and stop being so retentive about the things that are required to create your fantasies. When one level omni-movers were the thing, it was much easier to hide the show building. If you want coasters then something has got to give.

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

I guess I am confused here, but wouldn't this date back to, say, 1959 at the very least when the Matterhorn was built? It is pretty tall and you can see it to the right of the Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland. Or does that type of thing not count because it isn't an eyesore?

I get it, this is why Haunted Mansion looks the way it does at the front. Technically I don't think you are spending much time at all in the building you see in front of you. It is all in a generic looking building behind it. So are you asking that they hide that sort of thing a bit more then? Like Haunted Mansion?

Pepper's Ghost

I guess I am confused here, but wouldn't this date back to, say, 1959 at the very least when the Matterhorn was built? It is pretty tall and you can see it to the right of the Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland. Or does that type of thing not count because it isn't an eyesore?

I get it, this is why Haunted Mansion looks the way it does at the front. Technically I don't think you are spending much time at all in the building you see in front of you. It is all in a generic looking building behind it. So are you asking that they hide that sort of thing a bit more then? Like Haunted Mansion?
The eyesore is the show building that isn't built to be seen. In other words, the exterior isn't staged. For example, the park-facing side of Everest looks great and helps give the illusion you're in Nepal, but the back is not meant to be seen by guests' eyes. Unfortunately, that's another show building that is visible from elsewhere, but at least it isn't visible in the park...
animal-kingdom-21-big.jpg

Pepper's Ghost

Maybe berm not the right word, but you’d think they add some sort of tree line between storybook circus area and this side of the building. I know they planted shrubs along the barnstormer queue recently that should grow in and help hide things.
@lazyboy97o beat me to it. Yeah, a berm isn't the right solution as you also mentioned. He's right about all his reasons, plus a berm to hide that show building would have to be at least 15' to 20' tall. A berm that big would drastically change the dynamics of that part of the park. A tree line would help too, but then you're looking at many, many years before the building is covered. Look at the Haunted Mansion. The trees surrounding the HM took 30+ years to grow in. When it was built tho, the show building was built out of site already, so the trees were just aesthetic.

HM circa 1970s...
WDW_HMNegs_N12.jpg

HM about 35 years later...
HMAug19_06.jpg

Oak trees grow about 12" per year. Maples grow about 3x faster, but Disney doesn't use a whole lot of Maples for whatever reason. Either way, you're looking at 15-20+ years before the Tron show building is hidden by trees. By then I won't care anymore as I get used to it. 🤣

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Ever since they built the Dolphin hotel within the sightlines of Epcot back in the early '90's, there have been more and more visual intrusions. It certainly doesn't ruin a trip, but it is disappointing.
Until some of you pointed it out, via discussion boards, I never noticed the Dolphin while in Epcot. I don't look at the skyline. I look at the immediate area that I am in and what is 1/2 mile away is of no interest to me. So, I read it and when I went I saw it but frankly have not consciously noticed it since that time. It is one of those things that we control ourselves. I know Pixie Dust and all that Magic garbage only works if you are willing to let it work and you combine fantasy with the need for a minor degree of reality. Want a real problem you need look no further then Taco Lagoon in World Showcase. That is a travesty even if you aren't expecting hidden reality.

castlecake2.0

@lazyboy97o beat me to it. Yeah, a berm isn't the right solution as you also mentioned. He's right about all his reasons, plus a berm to hide that show building would have to be at least 15' to 20' tall. A berm that big would drastically change the dynamics of that part of the park. A tree line would help too, but then you're looking at many, many years before the building is covered. Look at the Haunted Mansion. The trees surrounding the HM took 30+ years to grow in. When it was build tho, the show building was built out of site already, so the trees were just aesthetic.

HM circa 1970s...
View attachment 660009
HM about 35 years later...
View attachment 660011

Oak trees grow about 12" per year. Maples grow about 3x faster, but Disney doesn't use a whole lot of Maples for whatever reason. Either way, you're looking at 15-20+ years before the Tron show building is hidden by trees. By then I won't care anymore as a I get used to it. 🤣
Passport to Dreams has a good article about the many show buildings visible around the park that are visible but go unnoticed, like you said a berm probably isn’t the solution, but a row of foliage close to the railing for barnstormer should help hide it from that angle. Very rough but you get the idea:

4EEE5E02-2D51-4837-8F1F-DF7AD4F5E5BA.jpeg

lazyboy97o

Passport to Dreams has a good article about the many show buildings visible around the park that are visible but go unnoticed, like you said a berm probably isn’t the solution, but a row of foliage close to the railing for barnstormer should help hide it from that angle. Very rough but you get the idea:

View attachment 660019
Big trees require space which has not really been provided.

Pepper's Ghost

View attachment 660019
Actually, I like your trees! 😁 Perfectly whimsical for the setting! I hear ya'. There are many immediate steps that could and frankly need to be taken to make it less crappy looking. Don't get me wrong. Being in construction I absolutely can appreciate a beautiful new building. It's just out of place, and looks terrible given the illusion Disney used to care about when trying to whisk you away into another "world". I mean, can anyone look at that building in the photo you posted and tell me that doesn't take away from the illusion?

Obviously we all know where we are and the reality of the world, but I can honestly say that my first time in the parks which was as an adult 23 years ago, the staging was so good that I was transformed into a wondrous kid and marveled at this whole new world I didn't know existed. On Main St, I felt like I was in the early 1900s. In Liberty Square I felt like I was in the 1700s, etc. Again, we all know we're not, but it's fun getting a realistic taste to feel like we are. A modern building just breaks that altered reality.

castlecake2.0

Actually, I like your trees! 😁 Perfectly whimsical for the setting! I hear ya'. There are many immediate steps that could and frankly need to be taken to make it less crappy looking. Don't get me wrong. Being in construction I absolutely can appreciate a beautiful new building. It's just out of place, and looks terrible given the illusion Disney used to care about when trying to whisk you away into another "world". I mean, can anyone look at that building in the photo you posted and tell me that doesn't take away from the illusion?

Obviously we all know where we are and the reality of the world, but I can honestly say that my first time in the parks which was as an adult 23 years ago, the staging was so good that I was transformed into a wondrous kid and marveled at this whole new world I didn't know existed. On Main St, I felt like I was in the early 1900s. In Liberty Square I felt like I was in the 1700s, etc. Again, we all know we're not, but it's fun getting a realistic taste to feel like we are. A modern building just breaks that altered reality.
Hopefully they do something, it’s still an active construction site so shall wait and see what their plan is.

Pepper's Ghost

Big trees require space which has not really been provided.
I can't tell from the photos I've seen what's in between, but my guess is if they were going to install trees, they'd have to change plans. Not that they're going to realistically demo brand new concrete from something that wasn't already planned, but hopefully they see how terrible it looks from some angles and change some things on their punch list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom