Sightlines are being destroyed everywhere

Pepper's Ghost

Hopefully they do something, it’s still an active construction site so shall wait and see what their plan is.
I mean, they can. It's stuff that can be added to the punchlist as they wrap things up budget-permitting. I wouldn't count on it. The solutions you gave above about themed banners is a good idea, but that wouldn't be part of current construction. That would be a completely separate and "unrelated" project because it's not on the construction site. Not that they can't do it, but you're looking at plans, permitting, etc. I don't see any immediate solutions for the Barnstormer unless they change construction plans closer to the Tron show building.

Pepper's Ghost

The idea is that genie+ keeps your head down looking at your phone. Stop looking up and keep refreshing.
While this is true, and it sickens me, there are many other topics that go down that rabbit's hole. 😁 Don't get me wrong. I HATE the dependence on phones in the parks and is a main reason I've not been back in years, this topic is a completely different Disney atrocity... the recent laziness and carelessness of Disney in the designing phase.

lazyboy97o

I mean, they can. It's stuff that can be added to the punchlist as they wrap things up budget-permitting.
The scale of what’s being discussed is a lot bigger than punch list items. You can’t just swap or add plants. At a minimum irrigation also needs to be provided. It would be a change to the contract documents, a regular occurrence on themed entertainment projects, not just a punch item.

JIMINYCR

Is it really that big of a deal? Maybe to those looking for something, anything to complain about thats not 100% to your liking. Like a paint chip or a burnt out bulb. A large complex building is going to stand out no matter what is done to try to hide it or make it blend in. Im there enjoying the entertainment and attractions. Ive never once in all my time at WDW had the sight of a building or wall or any part of something constructed ruin my vacation or make me enjoy my time less. I'd rather have what Tron is going to give me than a lesser Tron thats built to be smaller so it can be hidden from sight. Just be glad we are getting a Tron.

lazyboy97o

Is it really that big of a deal? Maybe to those looking for something, anything to complain about thats not 100% to your liking. Like a paint chip or a burnt out bulb. A large complex building is going to stand out no matter what is done to try to hide it or make it blend in. Im there enjoying the entertainment and attractions. Ive never once in all my time at WDW had the sight of a building or wall or any part of something constructed ruin my vacation or make me enjoy my time less. I'd rather have what Tron is going to give me than a lesser Tron thats built to be smaller so it can be hidden from sight. Just be glad we are getting a Tron.
Theme parks are designed experiences. How things look is very much part of the entertainment and attractions. We’re also not talking about a complex building. It’s a warehouse, a blank canvas that could have been anything.

Pepper's Ghost

The scale of what’s being discussed is a lot bigger than punch list items. You can’t just swap or add plants. At a minimum irrigation also needs to be provided. It would be a change to the contract documents, a regular occurrence on themed entertainment projects, not just a punch item.
Fair enough. I was thinking along the lines of "there's already landscaping here. Why don't we swap out that line of shrubs with trees" kinda thing. I'm not talking about around the Barnstormer or anywhere outside of the active construction site. I mean planting taller trees in areas already designated for landscaping during active construction. Like I said earlier, changes immediately around other rides aren't happening without new plans/permits, and they're not going to take a jackhammer to freshly completed concrete. Adding trees in already designated landscaping areas isn't unusual in my experience, but like I said before, I don't know what's between the Tron show building and the edge of the Barnstormer ride in that picture. I definitely don't remember from memory, and even if I did I'm sure it was demoed at the beginning of construction.
Does it ruin a vacation? Of course not. We're on the same page on that for sure. Is it cringe-worthy? Absolutely. I'm not saying I didn't want them to add another E-ticket ride. I think we all appreciate that. I think most of us are saying that where they used to have more consideration for sight-lines and not letting one theme bleed into another from a distance, Disney's current design team's attitude is... "ah, who cares. They're getting a new ride and that's good enough. If they don't like a massive warehouse in their face from Fantasyland, [eff] 'em." It's just a level of carelessness that has become much more apparent where back in the day they designed the ToT with a back-side not visible from the rest of the park, but still finished with perfect design to fit in with the design of Morocco because it was visible in the distance. The fact that they did that during design showed a level of care and creativeness they haven't shown in 20 or 30 years. It doesn't ruin a vacation. It's just a change in how well they think things through these days.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So what about dozens of burnt out light bulbs? Is that an acceptable thing to complain about? Just want to know the specific criteria for what’s worthy of complaints.

Goofyernmost

So what about dozens of burnt out light bulbs? Is that an acceptable thing to complain about? Just want to know the specific criteria for what’s worthy of complaints.
Where are all those burnt out lightbulbs anyway? Been going there for almost 40 years and have yet to see more than one or two.

JIMINYCR

Theme parks are designed experiences. How things look is very much part of the entertainment and attractions. We’re also not talking about a complex building. It’s a warehouse, a blank canvas that could have been anything.
Looks very different from a warehouse. In fact it’s got a very unique shape and with the canopies changing colors it’s going to draw guests in not detract from the neighboring land.
Fair enough. I was thinking along the lines of "there's already landscaping here. Why don't we swap out that line of shrubs with trees" kinda thing. I'm not talking about around the Barnstormer or anywhere outside of the active construction site. I mean planting taller trees in areas already designated for landscaping during active construction. Like I said earlier, changes immediately around other rides aren't happening without new plans/permits, and they're not going to take a jackhammer to freshly completed concrete. Adding trees in already designated landscaping areas isn't unusual in my experience, but like I said before, I don't know what's between the Tron show building and the edge of the Barnstormer ride in that picture. I definitely don't remember from memory, and even if I did I'm sure it was demoed at the beginning of construction.

Does it ruin a vacation? Of course not. We're on the same page on that for sure. Is it cringe-worthy? Absolutely. I'm not saying I didn't want them to add another E-ticket ride. I think we all appreciate that. I think most of us are saying that where they used to have more consideration for sight-lines and not letting one theme bleed into another from a distance, Disney's current design team's attitude is... "ah, who cares. They're getting a new ride and that's good enough. If they don't like a massive warehouse in their face from Fantasyland, [eff] 'em." It's just a level of carelessness that has become much more apparent where back in the day they designed the ToT with a back-side not visible from the rest of the park, but still finished with perfect design to fit in with the design of Morocco because it was visible in the distance. The fact that they did that during design showed a level of care and creativeness they haven't shown in 20 or 30 years. It doesn't ruin a vacation. It's just a change in how well they think things through these days.
The site in MK where Tron sits is the only viable land plot where it could be built. How do you propose the building could be hidden? The size of it and design makes it very different from blending it into a background as ToT was was designed. Guess if you want a building to be hidden Dis should have consulted with David Copperfield.

lazyboy97o

Looks very different from a warehouse. In fact it’s got a very unique shape and with the canopies changing colors it’s going to draw guests in not detract from the neighboring land.
Where do you live that warehouses aren’t big boxes?

The site in MK where Tron sits is the only viable land plot where it could be built. How do you propose the building could be hidden? The size of it and design makes it very different from blending it into a background as ToT was was designed. Guess if you want a building to be hidden Dis should have consulted with David Copperfield.
Disney was under no obligation to drop down a box from elsewhere with little consideration because they were panicked about a situation they created. There were any number of things they could have done to reduce the visual impact.

lazyboy97o

Even the landscaping is based on signed and sealed landscape architecture drawings. It’s not just general landscape areas, it’s a specific plan that would have to be changed along with the other coordinated items like the irrigation.

Ripping out fresh work isn’t all that unusual in themed entertainment.

The big thing in the area is the retention pond that was modified for the project.

Pepper's Ghost

There were any number of things they could have done to reduce the visual impact.
What @lazyboy97o said. Hidden doesn't mean disappear. Hidden means it's still there, but less visually intrusive. That's all. As was being discussed, trees and shrubbery is an easy way to hide something. Disney does it all the time.

UNCgolf

The simplest solution? Just don't build it if you can't hide it.

They didn't have to build a clone of TRON there. They could have designed something else to go there instead -- preferably something a lot better than TRON, which is just a middling attraction.

Guardians has the same problem in that they should have designed something different that didn't require such a massive building. It is at least a much better attraction than TRON, even though I don't think it looks legitimately great.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The simplest solution? Just don't build it if you can't hide it.

They didn't have to build a clone of TRON there. They could have designed something else to go there instead -- preferably something a lot better than TRON, which is just a middling attraction.

Guardians has the same problem in that they should have designed something different that didn't require such a massive building. It is at least a much better attraction than TRON, even though I don't think it looks legitimately great.
What the hell is this obsession with "clone" like they were some type of mortal sin. The idea that they shouldn't duplicate attractions is ridiculous. Part of the justification for MK was that there was an entire untapped market on the east coast. It seems like people think that everyone can just up and jet off to the west coast to see something "unique" to Disneyland and vise-versa. Reality check... it is a small minority that can afford to travel across the country to see a two minute attraction. Those of us lucky enough to have done it at least once should try and understand that in many ways we are privilaged.

There is no reason not to duplicate and a massive number of reasons why they should. We shouild just move on away from that thought pattern and be a little tolerant of those less able to do that and would like to experience good attractions regardless if they are 3000 miles to the west or 3000 miles to the east.

montyz81

Original Poster
Well, it was those coaster fans that continuously clambered for more coasters that required some degree of height to them. If the building bothers people they should ask themselves what alternatives there are. The water table in Florida is about 4 feet and since the demand is for things that are 30 or more feet high there really is no place to put it other then above ground. You cannot have both unless the area lends itself to easily being hidden. Soarin' was one of he buildings that had to be in plan sight if we decide it is more important to look up instead of concentrating on eye level. When it was first built I did indeed notice the building but haven't actually noticed the building for past 16 years. Enjoy the attraction and stop being so retentive about the things that are required to create your fantasies. When one level omni-movers were the thing, it was much easier to hide the show building. If you want coasters then something has got to give.
This is exactly the complacency that I’m talking about. Be happy with what you got and don’t ever look up because it will ruin the view. As I have always said, the farther we are from Walt Disney’s death the more we forget/ignore the standards he set for his theme park. Meanwhile Universals standards are getting better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom