Siemens to redo Spaceship Earth?

Magicot

brkgnews said:
Wow -- James Earl Jones or Sean Connery. Either one would be absolutely riveting. Of course, James Earl Jones has the Disney history. But I think I might just slightly prefer Connery.

Sean Connery has the Disney history too! You ever see the 1959 Walt Disney Classic, Darby O'Gill and the Little People? Connery stars in it at the young age of 29!:p

KumbaRider

205730 said:
I would add Dennis Haysbert (aka former president Palmer on 24) to the list of potential narrators.

I miss Palmer so much. :cry: But at least I can watch him now on The Unit!
I would love to hear Dennis Haysbert as the narrator.

joefox97

DznyRktekt said:
Another possibility for narration:
Michael Clarke Duncan (The Green Mile, Brother Bear, Spider Man, Daredevil...)

2005_michael_clark_duncan.jpg

And let us not forget HIS other Disney tie-in -- anyone remember?

If not, think "I don't wanna close my eyes... i don't wanna fall asleep cuz I'd miss you babe, and I don't wanna miss a thing"

OR he and Ben Affleck singing "Leavin on a Jet Plane" (retch @Affleck)

SSE isn't going to be gutted. Modded -- likely. The post show is a disaster behind the walls, but there was no work going on as of February. lots of downed equipment. The VIP lounge was going to be updated, though, as some of the work there had already started. There are existing Siemens offices up there already, and they are working on the business and A/V systems for the lounge in the near future. I'll post if I hear anything too.

joe

tirian

The VIP lounge was going to be updated, though, as some of the work there had already started. There are existing Siemens offices up there already, and they are working on the business and A/V systems for the lounge in the near future.

That's my favorite VIP lounge at Epcot. It's nice to hear that they're refurbishing it.

cloudboy

Oh, who was that guy who did the 7Up commercials - black guy with a real, real deep voice?

Anyway, I don't think you necessarily want too deep a voice. If you are oging to keep it pretty much the same, then go with something more timeless and easy and smooth. But if you change teh narration a bit to be more involving then you wouldn't have to change so much of the sets themselves.

Any word on if they are going to change the ride system itself? They ARE a transportation company, after all, and the LAST thing they need is for a really rough, really sloppy andbreak-down-prone ride vehicle.

joefox97 said:
And let us not forget HIS other Disney tie-in -- anyone remember?

If not, think "I don't wanna close my eyes... i don't wanna fall asleep cuz I'd miss you babe, and I don't wanna miss a thing"

OR he and Ben Affleck singing "Leavin on a Jet Plane" (retch @Affleck)

joe

Armageddon?

nelsonj3

tirian said:
That's my favorite VIP lounge at Epcot. It's nice to hear that they're refurbishing it.

How does one get into that lounge? I know you can get up there as an employee of the sponsoring company, but is there any other way? I've read quite a bit about the SSE VIP lounge, but I'd love to see it someday.

tirian

I've been up there for meetings and events, but I have also seen it used for Magical Gatherings (pre-Siemens). I highly doubt that it's available for those now that Siemens sponsors it. I have pictures somewhere...I'll have to find them...

It's basically a semi-circular area that's divided into a lobby, a dining area, and some conference rooms. First, there's a small reception lobby that has very nice stainless-steel bathrooms and a glass-cube floor. The lobby opens into a dining area that's lined with windows (these are the windows you see behind SSE); this room also has a wet bar. Continuing the journey around the semi-circle, you connect to two conference rooms and an elevator. That's the lounge itself; but the hallway loops around the entire post-show building; closer to the ball, there's a kitchen, some offices, and a couple of closets.

The funny thing about the lounge is that various stairways connect to doors open into various SSE areas. Last time I was in the lounge, I took a wrong "Exit" stairway and opened a door into the ride vehicle unloading station. Oops!

Huck

imagineer boy said:
Ooh! Lawrence Fishbourne would be perfect! Some of the others would be really good too. But my top 3 picks would be:

Patrick Stewart, Lawrence Fishbourne, and Morgan Freeman. They would all be great, but I'm leaning more towards Fishbourne.

Sorry, but for those of you who grew up in the US in the Seventies you'll understand that when I imagine Morgan Freeman Doing the narration I can only imagine the old Electric Company thing...

Sp - ace, space!
____ - ip, ship!:p

Edit: You can't write the letters S and H together?!

kcnole

It's basically a semi-circular area that's divided into a lobby, a dining area, and some conference rooms. First, there's a small reception lobby that has very nice stainless-steel bathrooms and a glass-cube floor. The lobby opens into a dining area that's lined with windows (these are the windows you see behind SSE); this room also has a wet bar. Continuing the journey around the semi-circle, you connect to two conference rooms and an elevator. That's the lounge itself; but the hallway loops around the entire post-show building; closer to the ball, there's a kitchen, some offices, and a couple of closets.

I have never noticed any windows on Space Ship Earth. Does anyone have any pictures of these. I'd be interested to see where they're located. Also where is the entrance to this? Is it on the outside somewhere through a door or is there a hidden door inside the main entrance that leads to it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
kcnole - the windows face World Showcase at the upstairs rear of what was Global Neighborhood. The lounge isn`t in the Geosphere itself, and the photos arn`t mine:

Attachments

• SSE Corporate.jpg
    SSE Corporate.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 64
  • SE lounge 1 smaller.jpg
    SE lounge 1 smaller.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 55
  • SE lounge 2smaller.jpg
    SE lounge 2smaller.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 62
  • SE lounge 3 smaller.jpg
    SE lounge 3 smaller.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 60

Jen Jen

peter11435 said:
SSE very rarely breaks-down.

Sorry, I know lots of times people here will reply to something they think is serious, and then get jumped on for missing the sarcasm. So if that's the case, I apologize. Otherwise, I was there in December. I rode SSE three times, and each time it broke down. The last time they turned the lights on and we had to get out of the ride vehicle and walk the stairs down. It was fun, but still...judging from my personal experience, it breaks down quite a bit. I think the ride system definitely needs updating. :)

kcnole

The ride system does need updating but not because it breaks down a lot. It's one of the more reliable rides in Epcot. The problem with the ride system is that it is loud, bumpy, and uncomfortable. I'd love to see them find a way to make it a smooth and silent ride through SSE. The "clackety clack bump" of the ride system definitely takes away from the immersion of the ride.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - if they`d have upgraded the parts required in the suspension chassis when it was needed it would have cost a lot less than what it will cost now.

There again, for the sake of a 50 cents washer on each car, when the ride first opened (yep - as in the Perrin version) a CM had to manually stand next to the track in 180top and turn each car for the descent to earth.

Remember, though, as with all Omnimovers, when the ride stops for any length of time it may not be `broken` - there may be delays loading or unloading guests. At DLP last year, we slowed several times, and remained static in various scenes of Phantom Manor for 6 minutes due to issues unloading a large group of challenged guests - I`d say perhaps 10 cars had this issue. And you can`t just flick a switch back to 100% speed and stand back with an Omni. Especially a monster like SSE. Plus, of course, there is always the odd idiot who`ll trip the intrusion system - out of sight of most riders - that`ll result in the entire ride stopping.

Oh for one of those fools to try it in parts of the HM, or when they could the Omnisphere of Horizons. I`d pity the EMR team though. You are asked to keep hands and arms (and body) inside for a reason.

kcnole

Didn't someone do just that inside the mansion falling to his death? Or am I mixing a few stories together.

peter11435

Jen Jen said:
Sorry, I know lots of times people here will reply to something they think is serious, and then get jumped on for missing the sarcasm. So if that's the case, I apologize. Otherwise, I was there in December. I rode SSE three times, and each time it broke down. The last time they turned the lights on and we had to get out of the ride vehicle and walk the stairs down. It was fun, but still...judging from my personal experience, it breaks down quite a bit. I think the ride system definitely needs updating. :)
The time the lights came on and you had to walk out, the attraction did break down. However that is not a common occurrence. The other times the attraction stopped were not breakdowns. The attraction has to be stopped to allow handicap guests to enter and exit the attraction. If a ride stops and then restarts without you having to be evacuated, there is a 99.9% that it had nothing to do with the attraction but rather a guest issue. It is very rare that SSE goes 101.

BeachClubVillas

kcnole said:
The ride system does need updating but not because it breaks down a lot. It's one of the more reliable rides in Epcot. The problem with the ride system is that it is loud, bumpy, and uncomfortable. I'd love to see them find a way to make it a smooth and silent ride through SSE. The "clackety clack bump" of the ride system definitely takes away from the immersion of the ride.

That's funny. I don't think SSE would feel like SSE without the "clackety clack" :lol:

Seriously though, I hope they leave the first half untouched. The entire history part is perfect. I really feel like I'm being treated to something special when I ride the first half of SSE. BUT, the whole descent needs some serious TLC, as does the post show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom