Siemens to redo Spaceship Earth?

Magicot

peter11435 said:
The time the lights came on and you had to walk out, the attraction did break down. However that is not a common occurrence.

One time when I went on SSE this past march, the attraction stopped then resumed 10 mins later. Then it stopped again (for me infront of the monk scene) and waited for 15-20 mins until all of the lights came on and we were asked to wait for a CM to take us to the EXIT. However, I talked to the CM and it was infact not a breakdown. Both times, people were attempting to get out of their cars and eventually the decision was made to let everyone off rather than make us wait longer.

I learned some very interesting stuff from the CM, like at the point at which a person steps out of their car, a sensor pinpoints exactly which section, car, and which seat was being occupied by the idiot.:brick: This person is immediately removed from the park. I also got to walk by the giant tube/vent that pours out the 'burning rome' scent. (of course I took a wif) :lookaroun It's very eerie seeing all the animatronics in their static state lit up with bright flood lights. I also realized that the red, blue, yellow, and green light up twisting tubes to the right of you as you first accent (before the cavemen), are actually painted bars with light that hits them. Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

tirian

marni1971 said:
kcnole - the windows face World Showcase at the upstairs rear of what was Global Neighborhood. The lounge isn`t in the Geosphere itself, and the photos arn`t mine:

That's basically how the lounge looks, except that the AT&T logo was removed a while ago and was replaced with one of Walt's quotes.

I forgot to mention that the lobby also has a case featuring original memorabilia from EPCOT Center's grand opening and Epcot's 2000 celebration.

Jen Jen

marni1971 said:
Remember, though, as with all Omnimovers, when the ride stops for any length of time it may not be `broken` - there may be delays loading or unloading guests. At DLP last year, we slowed several times, and remained static in various scenes of Phantom Manor for 6 minutes due to issues unloading a large group of challenged guests - I`d say perhaps 10 cars had this issue. And you can`t just flick a switch back to 100% speed and stand back with an Omni. Especially a monster like SSE. Plus, of course, there is always the odd idiot who`ll trip the intrusion system - out of sight of most riders - that`ll result in the entire ride stopping.

Oh for one of those fools to try it in parts of the HM, or when they could the Omnisphere of Horizons. I`d pity the EMR team though. You are asked to keep hands and arms (and body) inside for a reason.

The first time we had just loaded and hadn't entered the show yet. It may not have been a breakdown, may have been someone screwing around, but it wasn't any slow loaders that time. I just don't understand how people even get out and walk around on that thing. Opening the door on the car wasn't exactly a gentle glide for the cm who came around and got us, and it was quite awkward just getting out of the car! A very big step from the car to the platform. Of course, we were toward the end with all the fiber optics (backwards), so that may have made it harder. :animwink:

mattfz

CoffeeJedi said:
possible narrators:
Leonard Nemoy
James Earl Jones
Lawrence Fishburne
Avery Brookes
Patrick Stewart
John Rhyes Davies
Ian McKellen
how about a woman narrator?

Gilbert Gottfried

mattfz

kcnole said:
The ride system does need updating but not because it breaks down a lot. It's one of the more reliable rides in Epcot. The problem with the ride system is that it is loud, bumpy, and uncomfortable. I'd love to see them find a way to make it a smooth and silent ride through SSE. The "clackety clack bump" of the ride system definitely takes away from the immersion of the ride.

The question is.....why would they make the seats so damn uncomfortable in the first place? I notice this on other rides as well. I can barely squeeze into the Snow White seats and I am not a huge dude.

Has the ride system always sucked, or did it get that way over time?

joefox97

Main Street USA said:
It was mentioned earlier that "I'm sure it'll be great, whatever they do." I'd agree with that if it weren't for the JII fiasco.

It's a total joke what happened over there. Who's to say the same won't happen to SSE? Exactly. Let's keep the changes minimal. We don't need yet ANOTHER half used pavillion and beautiful attraction cut short because of money and time. Not possible that it would be that bad with SE? Well, think of the original JII. What makes SE better NOW than the Original JII was then? Nothing. What makes SSE less outdated? Nothing.

It's absolutely sick how much of the Imagination pavillion sits as storage. Truly pathetic, and about as "un-Disney" as anything can be.

I'm prepeared for the worst IF anything big happens.......which I doubt.

While I respect ya, I have to disagree a little. The current JIYI isn't as good as the original, but it's light years ahead of the in-between stage. I miss the stuff from upstairs in the old ImageWorks, and I know how much of it is still up there sitting unused, including the potentially amazing effects of the rainbow tunnel and the painting with Figment's rainbow (sorry can't remember the name off the top of my head) and a number of other things... but Disney had a number of valid reasons for not using the second floor any more. The main reason quoted to me by management at the park was insurance cost -- pricey to keep it up for continuous guest usage. The escalators were one of the main reasons. Even cast aren't allowed on them. They're locked, and only the elevator and stairs in the current merch shop are available to get upstairs (and a backstage set of stairs)... the elevator would need repairs or at least a hearty tune-up before being used too heavily for guest traffic to be comfortable and quiet... lots of stuff that would need work. Not saying it couldn't be done -- they just didn't see the value of some of the stuff upstairs, just as they don't see the value of the stuff that was in the SSE post-show area that's just sitting behind the walls taking up space... I agree that it's a waste, but I believe that the new dedication to storytelling and doing things the Disney way that Iger and his staff have will hold up and they will do something we can all enjoy and be proud of in the very near future.

Joe

Main Street USA

joefox97 said:
While I respect ya, I have to disagree a little. The current JIYI isn't as good as the original, but it's light years ahead of the in-between stage. I miss the stuff from upstairs in the old ImageWorks, and I know how much of it is still up there sitting unused, including the potentially amazing effects of the rainbow tunnel and the painting with Figment's rainbow (sorry can't remember the name off the top of my head) and a number of other things... but Disney had a number of valid reasons for not using the second floor any more. The main reason quoted to me by management at the park was insurance cost -- pricey to keep it up for continuous guest usage. The escalators were one of the main reasons. Even cast aren't allowed on them. They're locked, and only the elevator and stairs in the current merch shop are available to get upstairs (and a backstage set of stairs)... the elevator would need repairs or at least a hearty tune-up before being used too heavily for guest traffic to be comfortable and quiet... lots of stuff that would need work. Not saying it couldn't be done -- they just didn't see the value of some of the stuff upstairs, just as they don't see the value of the stuff that was in the SSE post-show area that's just sitting behind the walls taking up space... I agree that it's a waste, but I believe that the new dedication to storytelling and doing things the Disney way that Iger and his staff have will hold up and they will do something we can all enjoy and be proud of in the very near future.

Joe
Heya, Joe!

I was talking as much about the ride itself as much as the upastairs, maybe even more. The ride itself is the joke, in my opinion. It's simply uninteresting. I really hate that I feel that way, and it takes some really bad show for me to knock anything in the any park, but even i can't deny this one, it's really bad. As for the wasted space, I was talking about the empty area used for storage on the main floor. So much track was covered up and wasted for the queue, and just as much sits behind useless walls amongst other storage crap.

I'm just bothered because I've seen how entertaining and truly creative and imaginative this pavillion can be, and right now, it just isn't.

However, I agree that things seem to be mving in the right direction, lately. Hopefully, it will continue.....

joefox97

tirian said:
I've been up there for meetings and events, but I have also seen it used for Magical Gatherings (pre-Siemens). I highly doubt that it's available for those now that Siemens sponsors it. I have pictures somewhere...I'll have to find them...

It's basically a semi-circular area that's divided into a lobby, a dining area, and some conference rooms. First, there's a small reception lobby that has very nice stainless-steel bathrooms and a glass-cube floor. The lobby opens into a dining area that's lined with windows (these are the windows you see behind SSE); this room also has a wet bar. Continuing the journey around the semi-circle, you connect to two conference rooms and an elevator. That's the lounge itself; but the hallway loops around the entire post-show building; closer to the ball, there's a kitchen, some offices, and a couple of closets.

The funny thing about the lounge is that various stairways connect to doors open into various SSE areas. Last time I was in the lounge, I took a wrong "Exit" stairway and opened a door into the ride vehicle unloading station. Oops!

Last I heard, it won't be available for special events without Siemens' blessing, which pretty much requires that it be for them or someone they know/like on a corporate level.

I cleaned that stainless steel bathroom recently -- and let me tell you -- even without much usage, stainless steel is impossible to keep clean -- but we manage it. :) The glass cubes are great, and relatively easy to clean. The area is actually a full circle, but not all parts are accessible to guests. He's absolutely correct that there are doors that take you into parts that shouldn't be accessed by day guests -- some of the doors will trip the alarms and shut down the ride. Some are just windows into the ride and there are some that take VIP guests down to a priority load zone so they don't have to wait. The kitchen is decent, the cast restroom is tiny, but has a shower (like many of the kitchen-area restrooms) and the closets are storage for various departments. Nice place. I miss the VIP lounge at Seas though -- haven't been up there for a while. Beautiful clear piano and a great view of the Seas tanks and the ride track. Great kitchen too. Nearly all of the pavillions in Future World have a VIP lounge, or did... some have been converted to other uses without sponsorship, a la WoL.

joe

joefox97

Main Street USA said:
Heya, Joe!

I was talking as much about the ride itself as much as the upastairs, maybe even more. The ride itself is the joke, in my opinion. It's simply uninteresting. I really hate that I feel that way, and it takes some really bad show for me to knock anything in the any park, but even i can't deny this one, it's really bad. As for the wasted space, I was talking about the empty area used for storage on the main floor. So much track was covered up and wasted for the queue, and just as much sits behind useless walls amongst other storage crap.

I'm just bothered because I've seen how entertaining and truly creative and imaginative this pavillion can be, and right now, it just isn't.

However, I agree that things seem to be mving in the right direction, lately. Hopefully, it will continue.....

Hiya to you, Zac! :)

My hopes too, my friend... having worked in the pavillion and being on the opening team of JIYI (don't throw any tomatoes, it was the assignment I got!) ;-) I have a little love for it, because it's got SOME of the original flair and is cute in it's own way. I understand what you mean though. The ride looks too "plasticy" too me, in a way... just looks pre-fab like a non-Disney ride would. Or like Animal Kingdom's Dino-eye-sore area, for that matter. The pavillion, for being the "imagination" pavillion -- just isn't what it could and should be. I think they will improve it, and I have word from a few of my cast friends that it's on the list to get an upgrade in the near future, but that could be 3 years. They probably won't do it before the 25th of Epcot.

The one thing I truly love is the queue area. The projectors with Figment are cute... the doors are hilarious and the sound effects are perfect. The phone bank area as you first walk in (which most people just blur past since there aren't any lines) can be a GREAT place to do magical moments with kids... and the props and movie posters are tributes to other Disney projects and are in the tradition of other rides that have movie posters in them as part of the queue.

And the one part that was an upgrade for the cast was adding a significant amount of space for a real break room. The cast had a cupboard before, compared to the space available now. And whilst I'm inclined to agree that show comes before comfort, making the cast comfortable is important to having happy cast members and thereby happy guests... so that was a step in the right direction. One of the biggest complaints from Soarin' cast right now at Epcot is that they don't have a suitable break area. The Land cast has a small break area (1/4 of the size of the old break area before the renovation), and Soarin shares with Canada in 1/2 a trailer... not a very large space for a bunch of cast. And it's a long walk. So Imag really got pampered a bit...

In the long run, I think it's important for the ride to be rehabed simply to add some much needed "little spark" to it... again. Bring out something new and different and challenge us to think up new things in a whole new way... with or without our dear friends the Dreamfinder and Figment... I love them both, but imagination must always be about finding new things -- even the Dreamfinder thought so!

joe

joefox97

Pongo said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That was a joke, right? :lookaroun

Let's hope so........... although he's also a Disney contract player... I know everyone knows this one, so i'm not even going to give trivia points for it.

elle72688

nelsonj3 said:
How does one get into that lounge? I know you can get up there as an employee of the sponsoring company, but is there any other way? I've read quite a bit about the SSE VIP lounge, but I'd love to see it someday.

Last fall we toured the lounge as part of the Undiscovered Future World tour. Also I had the opportunity to attend a dessert party there last fall as well. This is the only pic I took for some dumb reason during the dessert party:
P9280266.jpg

Empress Room

joefox97 said:
The main reason quoted to me by management at the park was insurance cost -- pricey to keep it up for continuous guest usage. The escalators were one of the main reasons. Even cast aren't allowed on them. They're locked, and only the elevator and stairs in the current merch shop are available to get upstairs (and a backstage set of stairs)... the elevator would need repairs or at least a hearty tune-up before being used too heavily for guest traffic to be comfortable and quiet... lots of stuff that would need work.
Joe

I've got to believe that "management" was yanking your chain, Joe. The incremental insurance costs of the escalator and maintenance costs of the elevator would be miniscule to Disney. I can't see how the insurance costs of running the escalators at Imagination would be any different or unfeasible as the escalators in (and use of) the second floor of the American Adventure (which moves way more people in cattle fashion per show) or the escalators used in any number of attractions - including the escalator/moving walks in POTC, SM, HM, to name of few. Not to mention the insurance/maintenance costs of the complicated and multiple elevators known as ToT!

Disney cannot (or should not) sacrifice guest experience for such mundane reasons - and there is precedent present to show that they haven't.

TomDisney

joefox97 said:
. The main reason quoted to me by management at the park was insurance cost -- pricey to keep it up for continuous guest usage. The escalators were one of the main reasons.
Joe

If that was the reason given by management, it would seem a pretty lame one. Don't forget that many other attractions in EPCOT have escalators (The Land, The American Adventure, The Living Seas). There never seems to be a problem keeping these up for guest usage. Just an observation....

joefox97

TomDisney said:
If that was the reason given by management, it would seem a pretty lame one. Don't forget that many other attractions in EPCOT have escalators (The Land, The American Adventure, The Living Seas). There never seems to be a problem keeping these up for guest usage. Just an observation....

Actually, the Land's escalators tend to go down quite frequently. The Seas, not quite as much, but occassionally. I dunno about the ones at AA, but the condition of the ones at JIYI are not very good. Maybe insurance wasn't it -- maybe just too cheap to redo it for what they perceived as nominal value upstairs. The current "ImageWorks" area isn't all that popular with guests -- most guests just walk right through. I'm wondering if perhaps they felt the same way about the old ImageWorks? Certainly it was more popular than this incarnation, but not as popular as another attraction or something where money might be better spent... like Millenium Village (now World Showplace, the most underutilized area in all of Epcot). Even for Special Events, it isn't used as often as it should/could be. It's a beautiful building inside. Could be fantastic. *sigh* Back on Topic... so did anyone hear that SSE is going to be a rollercoaster/simulator/3-D/virtual reality/motion ride? And it's going to have DreamFinder, Horizon's theme song and subs from 20,000 leagues? :lookaroun

joe

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The biggest `money saving` rumour and JII upstairs was something about tax breaks. If an area is closed to the general public it is taxed at a lower level. Or something?

This was also a valid reason for Horizons, Odyssey and WoL.

Anyone know the specifics?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom