Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Horizons has been closed longer than it was open. It might be time to move on.

Yeah, better to forget the history of the park and great rides that were replaced by lesser rides. Can't have the rubes expecting greatness out of today's TDO. Anything else you think we all should "move on" from, since you obviously think you know better?

Kamikaze

Yeah, better to forget the history of the park and great rides that were replaced by lesser rides. Can't have the rubes expecting greatness out of today's TDO. Anything else you think we all should "move on" from, since you obviously think you know better?

'The history of the park' is longer without Horizons. So the people 'forgetting' that history are the ones sticking to Horizons.

Was it superior to M:S in a lot of ways? Sure. Doesn't make it any less true that its gone and been gone for almost 20 years now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
'The history of the park' is longer without Horizons. So the people 'forgetting' that history are the ones sticking to Horizons.

Was it superior to M:S in a lot of ways? Sure. Doesn't make it any less true that its gone and been gone for almost 20 years now.
And that fact it’s still so revered after so long speaks volumes for how good it was.

BoarderPhreak

Sorry, no. Horizons was one of those attractions of EPCOT Center that epitomized the message when it opened. I for one, will always remember it fondly.

Does it make sense to bemoan its loss anymore, now that WoM, UoE, JiI and TLS are all essentially shells of their former selves? No, probably not. All of Future World is circling the drain, and has been for over a decade.

Kamikaze

And that fact it’s still so revered after so long speaks volumes for how good it was.

Fair point, but that doesn't make it any less gone.

Here's the problem - everything that is 'gone' gets the same treatment. It literally doesn't matter what it is. It takes away from when actual good attractions close when people complain about bad/outdated attractions close.

Kamikaze

Sorry, no. Horizons was one of those attractions of EPCOT Center that epitomized the message when it opened. I for one, will always remember it fondly.

Does it make sense to bemoan its loss anymore, now that WoM, UoE, JiI and TLS are all essentially shells of their former selves? No, probably not. All of Future World is circling the drain, and has been for over a decade.

Thats my exact point. I didn't say it wasn't a good attraction. Just that its time to stop focusing on how they should have saved it. We are far passed that point. Same with calling it EPCOT Center, tbh. It hasn't been called that in 25 years.

If Horizons was the epitome of 'EPCOT Center' then it should be gone, since EPCOT Center is as well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Fair point, but that doesn't make it any less gone.

Here's the problem - everything that is 'gone' gets the same treatment. It literally doesn't matter what it is. It takes away from when actual good attractions close when people complain about bad/outdated attractions close.
No, those who aren’t sensationalists properly catorgorise past attractions. Horizons - and a few others - were the pinnacle of theme park attraction design and deserve the fond memories they still attract.

Symbiosis obviously isn’t in the same league. For example.

Or did you not enjoy Horizons?

P_Radden

I was lucky enough to experience Horizions once on my trip in 1998. I will never forget the feeling of inspiration, wonder and excitement I left out of there with. Maybe it was the futuristic theme. Maybe it was the murals, physical sets, or maybe it was the suspended omni-mover system.. All I know is, it left a mark on me. It was the absolute epitome of what EPCOT Center stood for (even in 98). I miss that feeling. A lot. Perhaps that's why I dearly love SSE and LwtL. Both still give me those good ol EPCOT Center "feels". Even in it's current state, Epcot can be emotionally overwhelming for me when I'm there because of how much it affected me as a kid.

montyz81

I was lucky enough to experience Horizions once on my trip in 1998. I will never forget the feeling of inspiration, wonder and excitement I left out of there with. Maybe it was the futuristic theme. Maybe it was the murals, physical sets, or maybe it was the suspended omni-mover system.. All I know is, it left a mark on me. It was the absolute epitome of what EPCOT Center stood for (even in 98). I miss that feeling. A lot. Perhaps that's why I dearly love SSE and LwtL. Both still give me those good ol EPCOT Center "feels". Even in it's current state, Epcot can be emotionally overwhelming for me when I'm there because of how much it affected me as a kid.
+1 to this reply. I feel exactly the same way.

What is sad is that the "Instant Gratification Society" doesn't want inspirational rides, they want something that provides them with that feeling of fun. God for bid they feel inspired by a ride and then go out and do something about it.

The inspiration that existed coming out of Horizons and many of the messages sent from the 50's through to the 80's have been a huge influence on the lightspeed advancement in technology we have seen in the last 1/2 century, in my opinion. Now all we want is to be instantly gratified by our electronic devices in front of our faces.

Just sad!

Last edited:

montyz81

I read it as it'll get a refurbishment in the next decade, not so much a coaster.

With Guardians being so close by, another coaster seems unnecessary. I could see a new ride system, but I'd predict it'll be slow.
You mean unnecessary like putting a rollar coaster in next to something like Space Mountain?

BoarderPhreak

Thats my exact point. I didn't say it wasn't a good attraction. Just that its time to stop focusing on how they should have saved it. We are far passed that point. Same with calling it EPCOT Center, tbh. It hasn't been called that in 25 years.

If Horizons was the epitome of 'EPCOT Center' then it should be gone, since EPCOT Center is as well.
They should have... Along with the other attractions. Modernized, updated, maintained. But that's a dreamer's folly. Indeed, the whole concept of EPCOT Center was only relevant for a decade after its construction because it wasn't kept up-to-date - left stuck in the context of the 80s. That's a huge problem for a park concept such as that.

They decided to go a different route. Replace WoM with a coaster. They're timeless, right? Except they're now on a second iteration. Different rabbit hole, that. But I guess it's better than the sad state of affairs that is (Lack of) Imagination! and Nemo and Dusty Friends™.

There are no easy (or cheap) answers. Those of us who remember the original park have strong nostalgia for so many aspects of it. People seeing Epcot for the first time today just have no idea, and instead see a hodge podge of... Weird, incongruous "stuff." SSE is the last of the originals in its true form (granted, several minor iterations removed). It sticks out like a sore thumb these days and I fear what Disney's planning, given their track record with the park.

And, I called it EPCOT Center because we were talking about Horizons in that context. To me, it will always be EC.

smile

Letting things languish right up until a replacement is ready to go is quite usual for WDW. Why spend money to remove the signs that say sponsored by Siemens and put up generic signs when the generic signs will have to be removed to put up the signs with the new sponsor?

correct - heck of a lot more umph to get them up than down. no particularly good reason to until there is.

unless it's your intent to just wedge this in out of nowhere, it doesn't even really relate to the context of what was said...
the post you're referencing was merely the poster stating how there's precedent to an attraction being ran bare bones and left to rot for a spell before being removed under 'justification' that it didn't draw crowds anymore; horizons being one example of many.

Horizons - and a few others - were the pinnacle of theme park attraction design and deserve the fond memories they still attract.

damn. right.
the work of legends, simply put.

smile

We are far passed that point. Same with calling it EPCOT Center, tbh. It hasn't been called that in 25 years.

i don't see people who know better doing that in the way you're alluding to, tbh

They decided to go a different route. Replace WoM with a coaster. They're timeless, right? Except they're now on a second iteration. Different rabbit hole, that. But I guess it's better than the sad state of affairs that is (Lack of) Imagination! and Nemo and Dusty Friends™.

agreed -
and while i now understand the whys and wherefores, my heart broke the day an attraction that had creative direction from 22% of the NINE OLD MEN, almost 200 robots (60+ in one glorious scene!) , and 3k+ hourly cap was shuttered for a more commercially blatant glorified convertible drive on the freeway - add the fact that WoM never saw its 14th birthday while test track is approaching 20 and my heart still breaks a little every time i glance at that beautiful building, regardless of whatever gaudy crap is plastered out front

CJR

You mean unnecessary like putting a rollar coaster in next to something like Space Mountain?

I was actually thinking about that as I wrote that post.

I'll say this: I personally find it (Tron) unnecessary, but a key difference is that it's still an addition to MK. Replace SSE with a coaster and you're adding something that is unnecessary in that location AND removing a ride that is perfect for its location in front of the park (due to it being family friendly and high capacity).

I could go on forever as to why I think a coaster inside SSE is a bad idea (just to name a few: capacity, too close to the other thrill rides Guardians, Mission: Space and Test Track, it's the first ride people will come to, etc). They would also have to probably make some major changes to the structure as I'm pretty sure it couldn't handle the stress of a quick thrill ride without being nearly completely rebuilt. It was built for a slow moving omnimover type ride. For that reason alone, I have trouble seeing them doing that. If they're motivated by cost, which they probably will be, there are other locations where a coaster could go and add more "value" to the park. That's just my opinion though, they surprise me with the stupid decisions they make sometimes (GMR comes to mind).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom