Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

Kamikaze

The Walt Disney company has existed longer with Walt dead than it has with him alive. That doesn't mean he or his legacy should be forgotten, or his base philosophies thrown into the garbage and betrayed. Even though it's often the unfortunate reality of what has happened within the company.

And if Walt had lived to build Progress City, we wouldn't have a Walt Disney World to discuss. The company would be bankrupt and sold off in pieces. So lets not forget that, either. Thats nothing against Walt (or Horizons), but the past isn't always whats best.

Last edited:

montyz81

If SSE were to suddenly get a new sponsor would this push up the refurb date?
I don’t think they are getting a sponsor anytime soon. My understanding was that Disney didn’t want to renew. This all was going right around the time that they were getting serious about the money needed to revive EC. With a central spine project under way and an infusion of IP, SSE is ripe for a complete overhaul to an IP based ride. (Slow moving Incredibles comes to mind). I am completely speculating here, but all the timing of the changes makes me extremely worried about the “future” in Epcot Center, pun intended!

smile

And if Walt had lived to build Progress City, we wouldn't have a Walt Disney World to discuss. The company would be bankrupt and sold off in pieces.

quite possible, but i reserve judgment...
how many times did folks tell walt what he was doing would lead to financial ruin - and it never did. he made it work.

let's not forget disneyland itself was referred to as 'walt's folly' - hard to even imagine that today, but there we are.
not necessarily saying walt's epcot would or wouldn't have worked, but it's hard to doubt a man like walt after he had been consistently proving people wrong for years.

Cmdr_Crimson

quite possible, but i reserve judgment...
how many times did folks tell walt what he was doing would lead to financial ruin - and it never did. he made it work.

let's not forget disneyland itself was referred to as 'walt's folly' - hard to even imagine that today, but there we are.
not necessarily saying walt's epcot would or wouldn't have worked, but it's hard to doubt a man like walt after he had been consistently proving people wrong for years.

When you rewatch the E.P.C.O.T. presentation and you then go to Epcot......You really have to wonder...How this would have worked in this day in age....

EPICOT

Oh, they did. To a point.

I just don't see how Disney wouldn't want to appease Siemens or any other potential sponsor of SSE. It seems the only options are: a) operate the ride or b) operate the ride and have someone else help pay. I'd think that'd be a no-brainer to the bean counters.

Cmdr_Crimson

Any hints about what company(ies?) would be in the running for that? :D

With that one scene before the dome...You'd think they would have gone with Apple considering how much D-Tech related merch is sold thoughout the resort...
1516134384969.png

EPICOT

Maybe they’re trying for another sponsor.

I guess that loops me back to my first question. Would a new sponsor cause the refurb to be moved up? Or are they searching for sponsors with the assumption of a refurb in 5-10 years as previously rumored? (As always thanks for the insight!)

HMF

IMO I think it's time for them to shut off the screens remove the black tarps in the finale and return the Irons version once again...*Jumps off Soapbox*
I believe a good chunk of the Irons Version is no longer there. The city is gone but I believe the peppers Ghost vignettes are still there. Martin would know better than me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom