Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But he's determined to be "right" ...

I'm guessing you have never managed a budget in a multi-national corporation. And never had the experience of having your budget slashed by some arbitrary percentage by the CEO or CFO because your company needed to 'beat analyst expectations' and the only decision making power you had is what to cut (yet your goals are not adjusted accordingly)

If you had you might understand why I say the CEO/Wall Street calls the shots for most US companies including Disney.

Jeff Bezos to his credit refuses to allow Wall St to run Amazon. Most CEO's dont have the intestinal fortitude to say to Wall St 'Get stuffed, this is our business'

Kman101

I'm actually fairly smart and aware of how businesses operate.

And yes the CEO sets the tone but as articos has said it's not as simple as you constantly blaming the Bobs for everything under the sun. But I know what you're trying to say when you do it but it's not as if Iger personally decided to replace Energy with Guardians or have movie previews in the parks.

aladdin2007

since this is the most current spaceship earth thread will put this here; Happy to report the little beautiful coastal scene across from the Phoenicians has returned in full, and looks better than ever. (no little ship with the lantern) but at least the scene itself is back complete with twinkling stars, lit coast, and purple night sky. Also the smokestack silhouettes seem to be making a return on the right side (what was a black wall) across from the giant wheel....the bleeding light at the very top has been fixed as well and the stars look great. The stars on the black sheets have been fixed in the ascent going up on both sides, and at the end on both sides before the turning of the vehicle to exit. Little things yes, but all the effects seemed to be in working order and or returned. I do not know if the ride has been having some over night work or not, must have been lately, but in general all the scenes are looking better than they had.

disney1023

since this is the most current spaceship earth thread will put this here; Happy to report the little beautiful coastal scene across from the Phoenicians has returned in full, and looks better than ever. (no little ship with the lantern) but at least the scene itself is back complete with twinkling stars, lit coast, and purple night sky. Also the smokestack silhouettes seem to be making a return on the right side (what was a black wall) across from the giant wheel....the bleeding light at the very top has been fixed as well and the stars look great. The stars on the black sheets have been fixed in the ascent going up on both sides, and at the end on both sides before the turning of the vehicle to exit. Little things yes, but all the effects seemed to be in working order and or returned. I do not know if the ride has been having some over night work or not, must have been lately, but in general all the scenes are looking better than they had.
Tomorrow's Child and laser chariot coming back, anyone?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'm actually fairly smart and aware of how businesses operate.

And yes the CEO sets the tone but as articos has said it's not as simple as you constantly blaming the Bobs for everything under the sun. But I know what you're trying to say when you do it but it's not as if Iger personally decided to replace Energy with Guardians or have movie previews in the parks.
He doesn't really have to get that far into the weeds, does he?

He's got a whole org chart to figure out how to do that. He says "cut expenses 14% while increasing revenue 20%," and then it's up to the suits to figure out how to do that.

The sad news: the suits apparently are busy running scenarios through Roller Coaster Tycoon--Disney Edition while the parks are falling apart, so the "magic MBA" middle managers who grew up in broadcast media wind up making decisions that (a) destroy Disney's reputation for quality, (b) alienate and price-out long-time repeat customers, and (c) leave the parks vulnerable to competition from places like Uni and Legoland.

Maybe a Musk or Bezos buyout of P&R isn't such a bad idea...

FullSailDan

He doesn't really have to get that far into the weeds, does he?

He's got a whole org chart to figure out how to do that. He says "cut expenses 14% while increasing revenue 20%," and then it's up to the suits to figure out how to do that.

The sad news: the suits apparently are busy running scenarios through Roller Coaster Tycoon--Disney Edition while the parks are falling apart, so the "magic MBA" middle managers who grew up in broadcast media wind up making decisions that (a) destroy Disney's reputation for quality, (b) alienate and price-out long-time repeat customers, and (c) leave the parks vulnerable to competition from places like Uni and Legoland.

Maybe a Musk or Bezos buyout of P&R isn't such a bad idea...

There is ZERO competition from legoland. It's...a quaint park. I've had more fun at small zoos. That's coming from someone who LOVES legos, like as a 32 year old I have lego piles in my boardroom to keep the ADD folks (myself included) amused during meetings. The park is also a short road trip from my home right next WDW. It's overpriced, has enough entertainment for about 3.5 hours, is really off the beaten path for an average visitor, and doesn't warrant a repeat visit. So sad, because I really think there is huge potential.

Universal OTOH is competition, especially locally and they hand out comp tickets like candy. (You worked an hour of overtime?! Here's three comp tickets!) But Universal has its shortcomings too. The perceived value of their offerings outside of the HP stuff feels very carnival like. They don't have a huge offering for the young ones. (Nintendo may change this...) Citywalk in the evenings is not seen as family friendly. Point is, Uni and WDW are symbiotic. While many people like to point out that Uni has taken a day away (or added an extra day in the hotel!!) lately, I know plenty of people who say "I wanted to come see the Harry Potter land and figured I'd do Disney while I'm at it". They thrive off each other. Universal's spending on their parks of late is also helping nudge Disney to spend money too, so let's celebrate them both.

While we can agree the suits have cut some things, raised prices, and made some questionable decisions. I also think a shift from how they have operated traditionally HAS to happen. They can't build enough to keep up with the increased pressure on the gates, raising costs means it lowers demand and keeps the bottom line relatively steady. A lot can be said about the poor job they have done to balance quality with increased costs. As someone who doesn't mind spending the extra cash, I expect a more premium experience. Dining across the parks is huge sore spot. I dont envy their need to make that one or two special meal for a family within reach during their stay, but I regularly go for fine dining. I know that I can go to the waldorf, spend just as much and get WAY better food and service. In terms of their offerings for rides, I think they are smart to up the thrills a bit. Disney is seeing a huge demand in the parks for these rides, test track/ToT/Space/7D,Everest, etc all get crushed on a daily basis, while other rides maintain a small wait. They need to pursue some additions on this level to even it out. We talk about Uni being competition, almost everything they offer is "thrill", but then we lambast Disney for taking pages out their playbook?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971

unrelated to news ect as a hypothetical how hard/possible is it tgo make the globe resolution 4k?
It's possible. New video, rendered to 4K, 4K playback hardware and a 4K resolution LED mesh. Assuming the source footage is high enough definition.

But why not go 8K?

Remember when it opened it wasn't even HD. Just a bunch of QuickTime files.

matt9112

It's possible. New video, rendered to 4K, 4K playback hardware and a 4K resolution LED mesh. Assuming the source footage is high enough definition.

But why not go 8K?

Remember when it opened it wasn't even HD. Just a bunch of QuickTime files.

well I picked 4k for simple can it be done. I know beyond that it's just scaling I meant physically what has to happen to all the little lights that make the scene?

brb1006

No offense, but why don't you find a stock market analysis board to discuss this? I haven't been around here very long, but it seems everything you talk about is stock buybacks. You're right - no one here wants to talk about it. I don't care what they do with their stock as long as their putting out a good product.

I get your point that the buyback limits cash flow and thus prevents investment in P&R, but give it a rest already man.
And ESPN and blames everything on Iger.

HMF

What was the exact reason for this? I look for it every time and was starting to think I had imagined it.
one of the high-ranking Imagineers probably Eric Jacobson thought it looked cheesy. Same reason the bride in the Haunted Mansion doesn't have the glowing heart anymore.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm guessing you have never managed a budget in a multi-national corporation. And never had the experience of having your budget slashed by some arbitrary percentage by the CEO or CFO because your company needed to 'beat analyst expectations' and the only decision making power you had is what to cut (yet your goals are not adjusted accordingly)

If you had you might understand why I say the CEO/Wall Street calls the shots for most US companies including Disney.

Jeff Bezos to his credit refuses to allow Wall St to run Amazon. Most CEO's dont have the intestinal fortitude to say to Wall St 'Get stuffed, this is our business'
I usually disagree with you, but you are spot on. I worked for a very large company and managed their SG&A budget for the total company (not as glamorous as it sounds haha) and this is exactly true. Wall Street owns most Fortune 500 companies sadly.

disney1023

Do you have any videos and/or pictures?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom