Show Your Teeth: Maelstrom or Frozen Overlay?

Which attraction should be present in the Norway Pavilion in a year?

• Maelstrom (either in current, updated, or expanded form)

Votes: 220 84.9%
  • A Frozen Overlay/Redo of Maelstrom

Votes: 39 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cmdr_Crimson

Arendelle and Norway are not the same. One is fictitious and one is not. They are separate entities, therefore, they should stay separate! WS is supposed to showcase cultures of countries around the world, not showcase a cartoon set in a fictional kingdom.

Well, if they keep on adding things that don't support the country of origin it will just become a dumping ground for more nonsense...It's literally becoming World Fantasyland Showcase...

I voted for Maelstrom, but I would not be opposed to adding Frozen into the post ride video. I find the film horribly cheesy and dated, I think they could redo the movie, perhaps just work the characters into the beginning in some semblance of teaching Olaf about Norway or something like that. I would like a frozen ride elsewhere, but not in Norway, and I feel like any overlay they do would be cheap, rushed and dumb like (IMO) the seas with Nemo. Love Nemo, but the projections are just annoying.

Mike S

I voted for Maelstrom, but I would not be opposed to adding Frozen into the post ride video. I find the film horribly cheesy and dated, I think they could redo the movie, perhaps just work the characters into the beginning in some semblance of teaching Olaf about Norway or something like that. I would like a frozen ride elsewhere, but not in Norway, and I feel like any overlay they do would be cheap, rushed and dumb like (IMO) the seas with Nemo. Love Nemo, but the projections are just annoying.
Like the Circle of Life film in The Land but with Frozen? That COULD be ok. Depends how it's done.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Frozen ???

images
NO

k13865608.jpg
NO

and NO
images

erasure fan1

I voted no, not because I don't want Frozen to have a ride, but because Norway is just not the place. I am one of the few that thought Frozen was a complete letdown. It wasn't bad but just completely average to me. That said I really think a Frozen ride would be a good idea. Disney has a history of having popular movies and then not giving them the attractions they deserve. So I would love to see Disney actually be proactive and make a great attraction with a movie rather than wait 24yrs like mermaid. I have a lot movies I would love for them make an attraction before, but I see how a Frozen attraction could be a good thing.

Magenta Panther

I voted no, not because I don't want Frozen to have a ride, but because Norway is just not the place. I am one of the few that thought Frozen was a complete letdown. It wasn't bad but just completely average to me. That said I really think a Frozen ride would be a good idea. Disney has a history of having popular movies and then not giving them the attractions they deserve. So I would love to see Disney actually be proactive and make a great attraction with a movie rather than wait 24yrs like mermaid. I have a lot movies I would love for them make an attraction before, but I see how a Frozen attraction could be a good thing.

I agree with you on every count. Frozen left me cold (heheheh). But I'm very happy for its huge success, and I think a Frozen land - preferably in MK - would be awesome. But as an overlay on Maelstrom? No freaking way.

And yeah, there are indeed Disney movies that for some weird reason have no corresponding park attractions. Not that every Disney attraction should be attached to a film - that would blow, IMO - but come on...why nothing for Mary Poppins? I will never understand that. It was Walt's crown jewel, his most successful film next to Snow White, and yet the film is barely acknowledged in any of the parks. I still think that a Cherry Tree Lane area in MK or perhaps DHS would be very popular. It could have a British tea shop (perhaps involving Uncle Albert, featuring a tea party on the ceiling), an Admiral Boom house/dark ride complete with the ship-on-the-roof motif including cannon and maybe a small fireworks display, and of course a gift shop. Why TDO or TDA haven't already thought up/built something like this astounds me. Why do they ignore Mary Poppins? What's the problem? One of the many things that me off about Iger is his willingness to buy/lease off-studio product and yet ignore the potential riches still available in the Disney vault. What a tool.

Mike S

I agree with you on every count. Frozen left me cold (heheheh). But I'm very happy for its huge success, and I think a Frozen land - preferably in MK - would be awesome. But as an overlay on Maelstrom? No freaking way.

And yeah, there are indeed Disney movies that for some weird reason have no corresponding park attractions. Not that every Disney attraction should be attached to a film - that would blow, IMO - but come on...why nothing for Mary Poppins? I will never understand that. It was Walt's crown jewel, his most successful film next to Snow White, and yet the film is barely acknowledged in any of the parks. I still think that a Cherry Tree Lane area in MK or perhaps DHS would be very popular. It could have a British tea shop (perhaps involving Uncle Albert, featuring a tea party on the ceiling), an Admiral Boom house/dark ride complete with the ship-on-the-roof motif including cannon and maybe a small fireworks display, and of course a gift shop. Why TDO or TDA haven't already thought up/built something like this astounds me. Why do they ignore Mary Poppins? What's the problem? One of the many things that me off about Iger is his willingness to buy/lease off-studio product and yet ignore the potential riches still available in the Disney vault. What a tool.
Cherry Tree Lane........ Why haven't I thought of this?!?!?!?!?! It's BRILLIANT!!!!!!!! :D The best I thought of was shoving a ride in the Phillharmagic building.

Adam N

I think the true problem with not only Norway, but a lot of the countries in the World Showcase, as well as that park in general, is that EPCOT was supposed to be the 'community of tomorrow' and yet there are some attractions (not all) that feel terribly outdated from beginning to end. Maelstrom is one of those attractions. I would hate to see a Frozen overlay, especially because it's going to end up looking cheap and tragic. But at the same time, the average tourist that comes to Disney World will go on Maelstrom and will leave with a bad taste in their mouth. I love that it's a classic, I truly do. It has a charm that a lot of other rides don't have. But I only feel the charm because of my affinity for the company and the history. Most people, especially who Disney is trying to sell their stuff to, aren't gonna buy that. They're gonna think it's weird and make them not want to come back.

However, the update that the Mexican ride got a few years ago was perfect. So, there is a way to update the ride and keep it from bringing down the pavilion and the showcase.

ninjaprincesst

I love frozen, but the world showcase is supposed to showcase the featured countries. Arenndale is not real and it is not Norway. The Three Cabelleros still showcases Mexico it did not change it to a ride about a fictional place.

Spike-in-Berlin

I guess we can expect Big Hero 6 in Japan if the movie is successful then? Who cares if the movie isn't in the actual country, it's close enough!!!!!!!! :banghead:

The represented nations and their representatives care and I am quite sure they care a LOT!
You just don't understand the intention and function of WS, it is NOT for more rides or other attractions about some Disney movies but was built to represent the nations, their culture, their lifestlye, their history and, of course, their typical merchandise. It was also planned to represent every nation by some attraction and it is very sad, that most of them were never built (Our planned and never built River Rhine Cruise would be outdated today but I would love to see some kind of attraction in our Germany Pavillion). And only if a Disney movie takes place in the actual country, showing it' REAL culture etc. a combination of a Disney movie and the country makes at least some sense and is suitable (e.g. Gran Fiesta Tour). But even then, the attraction should be more about the nation, than about a movie (e.g. again Gran Fiesta Tour).

Last edited:

Spike-in-Berlin

Update Norway. Keep Maelstrom- my boys like that ride, and the uniqueness of the "backward" part.;) Put Frozen where it belongs- either DHS or MK. IMHO.

Exactly and finally they should repair all the special effects which are gone for years now. Ever knew there where lightnings in the North Sea which where real electricity? That there were wave generators? Haven't seen them working for years.

Mike S

The represented nations and their representatives care and I am quite sure they care a LOT!
You just don't understand the intention and function of WS, it is NOT for more rides or other attractions about some Disney movies but was built to represent the nations, their culture, their lifestlye, their history and, of course, their typical merchandise. It was also planned to represent every nation by some attraction and it is very sad, that most of them were never built (Our planned and never built River Rhine Cruise would be outdated today but I would love to see some kind of attraction in our Germany Pavillion). And only if a Disney movie takes place in the actual country, showing it' REAL culture etc. a combination of a Disney movie and the country makes at least some sense and is suitable (e.g. Gran Fiesta Tour). But even then, the attraction should be more about the nation, than about a movie (e.g. again Gran Fiesta Tour).
Um, my post is AGAINST this and I'm on your side. Hence the angry face banging his head against a wall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom