Show Your Teeth: Maelstrom or Frozen Overlay?

Which attraction should be present in the Norway Pavilion in a year?

• Maelstrom (either in current, updated, or expanded form)

Votes: 220 84.9%
  • A Frozen Overlay/Redo of Maelstrom

Votes: 39 15.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cmdr_Crimson

Malestrom...
Tale-As-Old-As-Time-The-Beasts-Big-Smile.jpg

Malestrom....
smile-2.jpg

Malestrom.....
tumblr_llqeztQdHw1qhkbf3o1_1280.png

Jungle Cruise!!
feo_feo.jpg

morningstar

Stirring the pot, eh. I actually had a hard time deciding. I really like Frozen and I like Maelstrom but it's not a favorite. Still I just want to keep World Showcase pure without excessive character tie-ins. Culturally-related M&Gs like Mary Poppins at England are okay, but not whole attractions.

baloofigment14

Maelstrom all the way! Like some of you said, unlike Frozen, Maelstrom is not a fad that dies down after a while. It's a classic ride that is always a favorite for many when traveling around the World Showcase. In my opinion if changed,it needs some NORWAY updates to it NOT Frozen. They could do so much more with Frozen in a different park instead of squeezing it into the World Showcase. Also, I couldn't resist changing my avatar to the " Chuck Norris" oil rig worker in support of the Maelstrom. :)

aladdin2007

Maelstrom all the way! Like some of you said, unlike Frozen, Maelstrom is not a fad that dies down after a while. It's a classic ride that is always a favorite for many when traveling around the World Showcase. In my opinion if changed,it needs some NORWAY updates to it NOT Frozen. They could do so much more with Frozen in a different park instead of squeezing it into the World Showcase. Also, I couldn't resist changing my avatar to the " Chuck Norris" oil rig worker in support of the Maelstrom. :)

hey that avatar is awesome:cool:, I think that mural will go byebye sadly.

Gullywhumper

The only way I'm ok with the Frozen addition is if it is characters explaining actual Norwegian culture, rather than a silly frolic in the snow with Olaf. And even then I wouldn't like it.
If they make small cameos on the side, like they are a background character, I would be fine with that. However, if they were the focus point of the ride, I would not be fine with that.

GeneralKnowledge

I say Maelstrom for the following reasons:

1. Frozen is set in a mythical land that happens to have similar characteristics to Norway (and Sweden and Finland), but is not actually Norway. It's just the cheap place for them to capitalize on Frozen with minimal capital outlay. In their eyes most of their guests are too stupid to realize Frozen isn't set in Norway.

2. Frozen is the biggest hit Disney has had in a long time. They ought to do it justice and really capitalize on it's success with a full fledged attraction. I would say Frozen has more revenue potential than Avatar, but they're putting way more effort into squeezing money out of that property which has no real fan following.

3. Even if they gut Maelstrom completely and do an all out full fledged Frozen attraction from scratch (which we all know they won't) the space and setting is too small for something with Frozen's potential. The opening day crowds would entail a 450 minute wait just to walk from World Showcase Lagoon to the back of the Norway Pavilion. They would have to bulldoze China to build a substantial enough queue.

minsmk

I voted No Frozen, mainly because..

I really don't like Frozen. It's gotten old and it isn't really a "groundbreaking" animated movie like they all say. I mean I was okay with it when it came out but it just never grew on me. And taking one of my favorite rides at Epcot and one of the last Epcot Center attractions left... That would really suck. Also some of the fans can be outwright obnoxious to the point that if you mention any other disney movie they will punch you.. Yeah we really want people like that at disney!

Cmdr_Crimson

This is how chopped the attraction would be if the layout is untouched (which I'm pretty sure what they will do on the cheap!)

Lift Hill - They Explain about Anna & Elsa's backstory (Pfft like we need to friggin know)
Viking Village - Anna, Kristoff, Olaf & Sven go find Elsa
Three Headed Troll backward sequence - Enter Elsa's Castle she tells you to leave and pushes you with a cold blast backwards
Polar Bears - Snow Creature Yells Don't Come Back!
New Norway And the Drop - The Trolls put the spell for the boat to go forward
Oil Derrick - Peace and happiness reigns, The End..
53398872.jpg

Haymarket2008

I know this has been spouted a million times but I just cannot fathom how they think this is a good idea. It would probably be the biggest breach of the aesthetic/thematic brilliance they take such pride in. Yes, yes, I know that the addition of the Three Caballeros was a little unnecessary, but it is far from offensive and makes sense. I was a big fan of El Rio del Tiempo, but the choice to add Disney characters to it was not blasphemous to me. AND it fit thematically. World Showcase can NOT support a huge E-Ticket ride, with or without the expanded queue people have been talking about. Tearing down Maelstrom all together with no Frozen ride in its place (my nightmare) would be less offensive than putting Frozen in. Do we really think Disney is stupid enough to get rid of Norway and put ARANDELLE in the midst of real life countries? People who don't even know what Frozen is wouldn't understand.

Magenta Panther

I just don't see how Frozen would work as an overlay on Maelstrom. I think trying to squeeze elements from the movie onto the ride's design and mechanics would be a disaster. And it's such a LAME, CHEAP, CRASS way to tap into Frozen's success...and TDO, don't think for ONE MINUTE that the general public won't think the same. THEY'RE NOT STUPID!

MarkTwain

Make the same degree of change and expenditure to the ride that the Frozen makeover proposes, but supporting the current theme of the ride instead. Turn the village into a new hybrid load/unload area, make the theater the new indoor queue, with an updated movie as a preshow. Take out the oil rig as a finale and put a much larger "North Sea room" as a dramatic mood-setting opener in the current queue room (see Blue Bayou at Disneyland POTC), more scenery/show effects on the lift hill to give you the impression of "going back in time", updated AAs and effects throughout. Put a Norwegian festival or folk dance scene in the current oil rig scene to celebrate the end of your journey and to better tie into the village unload area. Norway keeps the integrity of an attraction actually themed to its country, Maelstrom becomes a longer and more fully-realized attraction. Everyone wins.

Tom Morrow

This is how chopped the attraction would be if the layout is untouched (which I'm pretty sure what they will do on the cheap!)

Lift Hill - They Explain about Anna & Elsa's backstory (Pfft like we need to friggin know)
Viking Village - Anna, Kristoff, Olaf & Sven go find Elsa
Three Headed Troll backward sequence - Enter Elsa's Castle she tells you to leave and pushes you with a cold blast backwards
Polar Bears - Snow Creature Yells Don't Come Back!
New Norway And the Drop - The Trolls put the spell for the boat to go forward
Oil Derrick - Peace and happiness reigns, The End..
This is basically spot-on. This is all they could do with the Maelstrom building. It would be a terrible idea because people would be expecting so much more, not something that was obviously retro-fitted into a ride that was not the greatest in the first place.

Plus, Maelstrom has a really low capacity. You would likely be seeing 3 hour waits if it were converted to Frozen.

squidward

As big as Frozen is, it too will pass and will never be as timeless as Maelstrom. If they HAVE to do a Frozen ride, it should be a new attraction, elsewhere. They don't always have to take something great away to ruin it with a movie theme attraction. That is lazy.

That is TDO. But you should also add cheap to that.

Redsky89

To be honest we don't learn a thing about Norways culture through Maelstrom. Theres trolls and insanely large polar bears. The film you see once your off the ride is where some of the education comes and even that can be redone.

MikeTaylorSound

If they turn Norway into a fictitious country, where do they draw the line? Is the rest of World Showcase then subject to converting real countries into fake ones, and showcasing places that don't exist?

Perfect excuse to build a cheap "not Taj Mahal" and have Aladdin M&Gs at the new Outpost!

#SARCASM

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom