Should Disney enforce the Flash Photography policy?

Should Disney eject people who disregard the no flash policy?

• Yes

Votes: 137 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 33 19.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timekeeper

I feel as though you're not paying any attention to the posts on this thread. There are people that literally take pictures of EVERY SINGLE SCENE on Pirates. It's not just 1 single shot.

Oh, I'm paying attention, which is why can I see the obvious inconsistencies. You are suggesting that there is a line between "1single shot" and "every single scene." But exactly where is that line? Because a few of the opinions posted above suggest that one shot is one shot too many.

You want to film an attraction and there's no flash or light ruining the attraction for other guests, knock yourself out.

What about the audible distractions that cameras can cause? No one has addressed that issue yet. I could satisfy your suggested light restrictions by turning off the flash and LCD screen on my camera, but if I am using one of my DSLRs, anyone sitting in proximity to me in an attraction is going to hear audible "clicks" each time I snap a shot. So is that okay, or not okay? Do you have a new rule for the noise that shutters create?

G00fyDad

What about the audible distractions that cameras can cause? No one has addressed that issue yet. I could satisfy your suggested light restrictions by turning off the flash and LCD screen on my camera, but if I am using one of my DSLRs, anyone sitting in proximity to me in an attraction is going to hear audible "clicks" each time I snap a shot. So is that okay, or not okay? Do you have a new rule for the noise that shutters create?

I'd rather hear that clicking (which can also be turned off on a DSLR) than be blind throughout the entire ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member
the sound of cameras is nothing compared to the sound of the attraction or people noises... unlike flash which disrupts everything and hurts your night vision

Ginzuishou

Last time I went to EPCOT I took my camera. I might have taken about 10 pictures. Whenever I saw a photo opportunity, I realized the 100's of photos and videos online of the same spot or ride. It is as though someone has done all the work for me :)

Put those cameras and video recorders away and just enjoy the experience while it's happening.

captainkidd

Original Poster
Last time I went to EPCOT I took my camera. I might have taken about 10 pictures. Whenever I saw a photo opportunity, I realized the 100's of photos and videos online of the same spot or ride. It is as though someone has done all the work for me :)

Put those cameras and video recorders away and just enjoy the experience while it's happening.

Exactly. Take pictures of your family outside attractions, or in line, or at restaurants. You can get pictures and videos of rides all over the internet.

I_heart_Tigger

So then you're willing to boycott (refrain from viewing) any photos or videos of your favorite extinct attractions if they were obtained in violation of the policy?

I doubt it.

Thanks to cameras (and flashes), countless people from around the world are able to relive their favorite classics. ....but we should refrain from documenting an attraction just because it might "interrupt" the ride experience of another guest for literally less than one second? Hmmm..:cry:

It seems to me like you are saying - My Disney experience is much more important than yours so I should be allowed to break the rules because it makes me happy even though it makes everyone around me unhappy.

So if it makes me happy to see you feeling miserable, I should be allowed to blast music in all the rides so you can't hear anything, dump a box of popcorn over your head because it would make me laugh or splash some pirate water in your face because I might find that entertaining?

Sweet. Let me know when you want to ride POTC with me...you bring your flash and I"ll bring a bag full of props to irritate the ________ out of you - for every one second of flash I'll try out a new and exciting prop...this could be fun! :D

I just took 2 girls to their first Disney trip and there were so many flashes the 1st time they ever rode POTC they were too distracted to notice much of anything. Luckily I told the CM how irritating it was and he sent us right back through without putting anyone else in our boat. (before anyone asks, yes they spoke English and yes I asked then to stop but they laughed and just kept taking more)

That was my friends very first ride on the very first day so I felt bad that people who disregard the rules and are so selfish made it an unpleasant experience for them.

G00fyDad

So then you're willing to boycott (refrain from viewing) any photos or videos of your favorite extinct attractions if they were obtained in violation of the policy?

I doubt it.

Thanks to cameras (and flashes), countless people from around the world are able to relive their favorite classics. ....but we should refrain from documenting an attraction just because it might "interrupt" the ride experience of another guest for literally less than one second? Hmmm..:cry:

I really hope that you are not that narcissistic. Yes, your flash goes off for a fraction of a second but I miss several minutes of a ride waiting for my eyes to clear. Don't act like you don't understand our point of view on this because you do. We know yours. You don't care about anyone but you. We got it. ;)

fosse76

Private property - They can do whatever they want. I think if they DID start enforcing this, it would actually make them look good. Shows that they care about their guests.

Where, in my entire post, did I even imply that they couldn't legally enforce it? My response, to anyone with a third-grade education and who can read between the lines, dealt with the logistics of actual enforcement. What is it with people needing everything spelled-out and spoon-fed to them?

And technically speaking, even private propery owners are restricted to what they can do on their own property. While Disney can set its own policies, it is a place of public accomodation and must conform with all laws that apply to places of public accomodation.

Of course, you're going to run into the occasional bozo who'll claim they didn't see the sign or hear the announcement. Stopping the ride isn't logical, so make the announcement during the ride once, and if they continue, it's adios amigos.
Making those announcement disrupts the "show" for everyone. And depending on the situation, it can be difficult to determine who the offendor is. While I would love for them to drag the flash-picture-taker out the second it happens, it would would ruin the experience more than the flash ever could. It's one of those "pick you battles" moments.

ILDisneyFan

I voted no for the simple fact that there's really no way to enforce it and every dark ride I've ever been on I've never really seen that many flashes, maybe 1 or 2? Either way it doesn't bother me. What's more annoying to me are the chanting Brazilians or the Cheerleaders, now that's annoying. Or the old person in a wheelchair who felt the need to cuss me out the whole time because I got to the parade early and decided to stand up to take pictures once the parade started after they thought I was going to be sitting the entire time. That's rude and annoying to me...

captainkidd

Original Poster
I just took 2 girls to their first Disney trip and there were so many flashes the 1st time they ever rode POTC they were too distracted to notice much of anything. Luckily I told the CM how irritating it was and he sent us right back through without putting anyone else in our boat. (before anyone asks, yes they spoke English and yes I asked then to stop but they laughed and just kept taking more)

:mad:

Where do people like that come from?

G00fyDad

Or the old person in a wheelchair who felt the need to cuss me out the whole time because I got to the parade early and decided to stand up to take pictures once the parade started after they thought I was going to be sitting the entire time. That's rude and annoying to me...

Wow. I'd be a little irritated too but I suppose if I did not get there early enough... However, if you're going to stand anyway to take pictures, maybe you could let the person that is unable to stand scoot in front of you? That way both of you can see the parade.

ILDisneyFan

Wow. I'd be a little irritated too but I suppose if I did not get there early enough... However, if you're going to stand anyway to take pictures, maybe you could let the person that is unable to stand scoot in front of you? That way both of you can see the parade.

1. I'm short and this person had several tall people with them that were adding to the person in the wheelchair being rude so if I let them all in front of me I wouldn't be able to see.

2. If you're in a wheelchair and you know you're not going to be able to see then get there early.

3. If you want me to be nice then you have to be nice to me as well. They just started spouting off at the mouth and that's what ruined me being nice to them.

G00fyDad

1. I'm short and this person had several tall people with them that were adding to the person in the wheelchair being rude so if I let them all in front of me I wouldn't be able to see.

2. If you're in a wheelchair and you know you're not going to be able to see then get there early.

3. If you want me to be nice then you have to be nice to me as well. They just started spouting off at the mouth and that's what ruined me being nice to them.

Point made. I wasn't trying to get on you, just trying to understand. If someone is being rude then no, don't work with them. :wave: We sat at the taped line one year for the MNSSHP parade and some woman walked up with her gaggle of kids and sat in front of us. I waited and did not say anything because I knew the CMs would. Sure enough a CM came along and told the woman that she needed to be behind the line. The woman proceeded to try and scoot back into us to force us back. NOPE. She got a foot in her lower back and another foot down on her right hand. I had to, well let's call it "sternly", tell her to get her big, paisley covered, rear end to the back of the crowd because I will not be moving. Some people just have no sense. :(

ILDisneyFan

Point made. I wasn't trying to get on you, just trying to understand. If someone is being rude then no, don't work with them. :wave: We sat at the taped line one year for the MNSSHP parade and some woman walked up with her gaggle of kids and sat in front of us. I waited and did not say anything because I knew the CMs would. Sure enough a CM came along and told the woman that she needed to be behind the line. The woman proceeded to try and scoot back into us to force us back. NOPE. She got a foot in her lower back and another foot down on her right hand. I had to, well let's call it "sternly", tell her to get her big, paisley covered, rear end to the back of the crowd because I will not be moving. Some people just have no sense. :(

No problem! I totally agree that some people just have no sense! :wave:

gaga4disney

i think i figured a solution. eg: on PotC designate 1 out every 20 boats in line to be a flash photography, noisy boat. anyone in line who NEEDS to have photos of the ride can wait for that boat.:sohappy:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Yes, they should be ejected. They should be ejected and banned from the parks for a year, at minimum. There is no excuse for taking a flash picture on a dark ride.

Stop being such an incredibly selfish, inconsiderate bleepity bleep.

Timekeeper

Would the conservatives here support this website administrator's decision to remove all photos from member photo galleries if they appear to have been taken in a manner that violated an attraction's photo policy? :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom