Shocked at all the hate

copcarguyp71

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read."

Yeah, I get the movie quote but it is not accurate IMO.

We, the "critic" actually risk our entire vacation budget and what precious little time our employers give us as unfettered time with our families. My personal feeling is that this in itself is a huge risk both monetarily and emotionally.

wdwstateofmind

I'm so sorry you HATE other peoples opinions and for some sick reason think you and your husband are bigger Disney fans because of it...I'm sorry you clearly lack any sort of personality as well...

Matt_Black

It was meant as humor. :cautious:

Well, in part, yes. However, I do feel that it's accurate. Many people tend to go overboard with the complaints and criticisms. I remember one thread about Disney donating $3 million (iirc, the amount might be somewhat different, but it was more than I see in a year, anyway) to a children's hospital, and some commented with "That's all?!? Cheapskates."

Andrea 55

I post on these boards primarily because I want to see if others feel the same as I do. There are times when I read about another hard ticket event that only costs $120 per person and I get aggravated when all I see is gushing posts from people who can't wait to attend.
I do spend a lot on a WDW vacation. I am frustrated because I have the perception that I am paying more every year and getting less from Disney. Yes, I could choose to go elsewhere, and this year I will spend half of my vacation dollars at Universal, something I have never done. But I'm hoping that my complaints, along with may others, will result in some positive changes.

BuddyThomas

I would agree with this statement. Unfortunately, there are a lot of members on here that consider me a "hater" because I am so passionate about abuse of the DAS and refuse to hold back my disdain for these parasites. If I were truly a "hater", I would take a baseball bat to the abusers kneecaps.
I don't know what the hell a DAS is, but thanks for yet another lovely statement. Vague dreams of physical violence are always a delight.

xstech25

I'm a big proponent of replacing a lot of the old crappy stuff with newer good stuff. I think the fact that things like Backlot Tour, Universe of Energy, etc have made it this long without being replaced were a major negative to WDW. However I see them taking major strides to improve this (a bunch of things closing at DHS to build new stuff, Avatar and Rivers of Light at DAK, re-doing most all of DTD) I just hope this trend spreads to Epcot and MK.

That being said the declining quality of everything that seems to be rampant complaints on the boards is totally blown out of proportion. I can walk around the parks all day and see very little to no trash, the paint and landscaping look fantastic, the entertainment and fireworks are still top notch. People just like to complain because it's the cool thing to do.

Another thing that people are angry about is that they are being priced out but lets be honest Disney doesn't give a **** about that because their attendance is higher than ever. If you don't go but a rich family from China or Brazil does they are fine with that because statistics show they are going to spend way more money anyway. Even with the price hikes the parks are still crowded pretty much all the time, people can complain about how greedy Disney is but that's not going to change supply & demand.

Last edited:

Walt Disney1955

I find it hard to believe that an adult actually made that statement.

You don't get out much, do you?

Walt Disney World isn't even the greatest Disney vacation. Much less greatest vacation destination on the planet.

I think the numbers would disagree with you when looking at the attendance figures. I've been to both American Disney parks, from my stance WDW is the better vacation destination overall, bigger, more to do, even if Disneyland is still the best park.

I was just agreeing with what the OP said though, there is a lot of moaning on these sites. It isn't that you shouldn't strive to be your best, because you should, but it seems there are people here who wouldn't even enjoy themselves after a trip. Check the "trip report" threads. Not always a positive thread.

Is Disney still not the best park in the world? Universal would kill to have Disney's history and aura. They don't. I've been going since 1991. No matter what other park in the world I go to I can never duplicate the overall experience and feeling I have at WDW at the end of the day. It hasn't changed since 1991, it's still there. I guess because I open up and allow it to happen.

Believe me, any mistakes Disney makes pale in comparison to the ones in other theme parks. I guess that is what I am getting at, the standards we have at Disney are still high, and they are high within the parks. Ever been to Kennywood? Nice park, old-school. But your typical amusement park, lines move slow, nothing to do in the queues, little substance.

Even with all the complaints we have about Disney the truth is Universal just got rid of Jaws for some expansion. Jaws was at one time the biggest box office hit in the world and 40 years later still impacts people. Universal owes a lot to Jaws. Boom! It's gone for more Harry Potter. Hey that's fine, but don't get rid of a major attraction because of it, build around it. We complain about Mr. Toad being gone, and I do too, but imagine if Splash Mountain is torn down for another attraction. That's the equivalent.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Reading the OPs post again the poor dear seems to be another one who thinks this is an official site run by the company.

Bless.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Even with all the complaints we have about Disney the truth is Universal just got rid of Jaws for some expansion. Jaws was at one time the biggest box office hit in the world and 40 years later still impacts people. Universal owes a lot to Jaws. Boom! It's gone for more Harry Potter. Hey that's fine, but don't get rid of a major attraction because of it, build around it. We complain about Mr. Toad being gone, and I do too, but imagine if Splash Mountain is torn down for another attraction. That's the equivalent.

Yeah, Disney would never get rid of an popular e-ticket water ride based on a iconic movie of their past. ;)

I never got a chance to ride Jaws, but it looks like it was a great attraction. With that said Uni doesn't really have the luxury of space that Disney does. Having recently visited Diagon Alley I personally feel it was a fair trade.

Nemo14

After rereading the original post, it almost sounds like she thinks this is an official Disney site ("fans of yours"?). This is a discussion board where we discuss the good and the bad. It gets heated sometimes (OK often) but it is the most informative and well-run site ABOUT Disney on the internet.

Reading the OPs post again the poor dear seems to be another one who thinks this is an official site run by the company.

Bless.

That's what I thought too.

xstech25

The truth about Jaws: it was over rated, out dated, and not having it there does not negatively impact the parks attendance (many of the people that complain about it gravitate towards websites like this). Universal has made big $$$ off Diagon Alley when they would have been spending big $$$ to continue operating Jaws to thousands of people that would be thinking "this is so 1990."

Bring it on!! :)

Last edited:

ArtificialArtist

I think the numbers would disagree with you when looking at the attendance figures. I've been to both American Disney parks, from my stance WDW is the better vacation destination overall, bigger, more to do, even if Disneyland is still the best park.

I was just agreeing with what the OP said though, there is a lot of moaning on these sites. It isn't that you shouldn't strive to be your best, because you should, but it seems there are people here who wouldn't even enjoy themselves after a trip. Check the "trip report" threads. Not always a positive thread.

Is Disney still not the best park in the world? Universal would kill to have Disney's history and aura. They don't. I've been going since 1991. No matter what other park in the world I go to I can never duplicate the overall experience and feeling I have at WDW at the end of the day. It hasn't changed since 1991, it's still there. I guess because I open up and allow it to happen.

Believe me, any mistakes Disney makes pale in comparison to the ones in other theme parks. I guess that is what I am getting at, the standards we have at Disney are still high, and they are high within the parks. Ever been to Kennywood? Nice park, old-school. But your typical amusement park, lines move slow, nothing to do in the queues, little substance.

I see your point, though, with DIsney you have to keep in mind
they created a standard they now have to live up to,
a lot of the people who complain on here about the rides
and creative decisions taken do know what potential there is,
compared to what Disney is doing.

Fair enough, some ideas of fellow boardjunkies are beyond fantastical
and just not doable by a budget-standpoint, however,
they still see how the recent compromises in quality and lack of passion
shine through in more and more corners of the "Empire" :)

Of course Disney is not Six Flags, we all know that,
but you compromise quality and you get lower standards.
I don't see why we should all just shut up instead
and have the executives listen to whining mothers
who complain about how other people aren't acting the way they see fit.... ;)

BrerJon

We complain about Mr. Toad being gone, and I do too, but imagine if Splash Mountain is torn down for another attraction. That's the equivalent.

Mr Toad was torn down for Pooh, 20K was torn down for Little Mermaid, Horizons was torn down for Mission:Space, Stitch replaced Alien Encounter... replacing beloved attractions with inferior successors happens the whole time at WDW.

BrerJon

Yeah, Disney would never get rid of an popular e-ticket water ride based on a iconic movie of their past. ;)

I never got a chance to ride Jaws, but it looks like it was a great attraction. With that said Uni doesn't really have the luxury of space that Disney does. Having recently visited Diagon Alley I personally feel it was a fair trade.

This is what the pixie-dusters don't seem to understand. Jaws was amazing, and a great attraction, but the reason why theme park fans give Universal a pass and criticise Disney isn't because they hate Disney, but because Universal replaced it with something *even better*, and with far more enjoyment than the ten minutes you used to get from Jaws.

In contrast, Disney just closes attractions with nothing replacing them, or the replacements are pretty poor. Disney could replace every ride in the park with something even better, and the 'haters' would be singing their praises, so it's not just complaining for complaining's sake.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I think the problem Jaws had was location and cost. It cost a lot to operate and maintain, and the location was relatively perfect for the Harry Potter expansion idea.

Walt Disney1955

Mr Toad was torn down for Pooh, 20K was torn down for Little Mermaid, Horizons was torn down for Mission:Space, Stitch replaced Alien Encounter... replacing beloved attractions with inferior successors happens the whole time at WDW.

I don't think Mr. Toad has quite the same appeal nor was quite the core attraction as Jaws though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom