News Several character meet and greets to be cut at Walt Disney World as labor shortage continues

bpiper

Epcot is bad now. Half the time no backstage parking , have to park in front and take two different busses to get to work. I arrived at 2 the other day, didn’t get to my location till 3.

What is causing this to happen? I would think that staffing isn't higher than before, requiring more spots.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Cast members are underpaid for the most part
Blame the unions for crap negotiations if you think that’s true.
record profits Disney can do it without any worries at all.
Every time i hear this it makes me laugh. One, how do you know they could do it with no worries? Two, you think 2022 operating costs for any business are the same as 2019? Of course not. Costs are through the roof.

We can look at the hotel industry on Los Angeles as an example. The city recently passed a hotel worker ordinance. This is causing a significant increase in operating costs that have nothing to do with the current economic situation. these hotel owners will now be finding a way to cover these additional costs. Can they just increase rates? Probably not…not in a recovering industry. Meanwhile people will say, “you want workers?, pay them more than the rest of the market. Stop being cheap.”….well that would be great, except energy costs, inflation, the new ordinance, the fact that so many people left the job market….

Lilofan

Epcot has added lots without expanding parking for cast; Ratatouille, extra soarin theatre, more food and wine booths, space 220, gotg requires loads more cast than UoE…
The Run Disney finish line is a huge vacant lot called Wonders Lot. Can't cast park their cars there when cast lots are full?

el_super

If “ throwing money” at it like you said won’t help, I think it would. Cast members are underpaid for the most part and with record profits Disney can do it without any worries at all.

I think Cast Members should be paid more, but I also think the experience is underpriced... Gotta stay consistent.

It really is far more complicated than just raising wages. Don't forget that, for all the comparisons between Disney and other employers, Disney is also in competition with itself. Raising wages for Job A could cause a shortage in Job B as well.

castlecake2.0

The Run Disney finish line is a huge vacant lot called Wonders Lot. Can't cast park their cars there when cast lots are full?
Yes they’re parking cast in the front, but if you’re in costume and work in world showcase you can’t walk through the park, so after your walk from your car to backstage you have to take two separate busses to get to your location, it’s very frustrating.

thomas998

My stint through high school and a short while after as a manager was in the early 90's... but that would be late 80's to early 90's is 30+ years now so we're not exactly talking cutting edge tech...

Thinking back, I was half way through my senior year when I became a supervisor left alone in charge of a store with half a dozen or more kids and real adult working. How crazy does that seem now? I mean, what were they thinking?

That said, those were the easy(ier) days when you could make a dozen cheese burgers, a half dozen Big Macs and load up that cute to the counter before everything had to be held disassembled in staging in back until someone ordered.

I'm sure people appreciate getting burgers that can't double as cobblestone but boy did that seem easier and quicker than the way they do it these days.

I guess I should have included "anymore" in my statement but being as how it's been over 30 years, I didn't even think of it as an anymore kind of thing.

... man, I feel old.
As I think about it the clamshell grill kind of line up with when the burgers started tasting like total crap... I wonder if it is because the double grill completely squeezes out ever last bit of juice in the patty.

Lilofan

Yes they’re parking cast in the front, but if you’re in costume and work in world showcase you can’t walk through the park, so after your walk from your car to backstage you have to take two separate busses to get to your location, it’s very frustrating.
Thinking out of the box but if Disney provided some incentive whatever it can be ( perks , rewards programs? ) to carpool then that would create better opportunities to park their vehicles.

Tony the Tigger

Ah, yes. The fact that WDW is bringing back Fantasmic about a year after they should have totally negates the fact that they don’t offer adequate housekeeping, package delivery, and parking lot trams at two parks.
I guess you should try to better follow the thread before putting words in my mouth.

DisneyDebRob

Blame the unions for crap negotiations if you think that’s true.

Every time i hear this it makes me laugh. One, how do you know they could do it with no worries? Two, you think 2022 operating costs for any business are the same as 2019? Of course not. Costs are through the roof.

We can look at the hotel industry on Los Angeles as an example. The city recently passed a hotel worker ordinance. This is causing a significant increase in operating costs that have nothing to do with the current economic situation. these hotel owners will now be finding a way to cover these additional costs. Can they just increase rates? Probably not…not in a recovering industry. Meanwhile people will say, “you want workers?, pay them more than the rest of the market. Stop being cheap.”….well that would be great, except energy costs, inflation, the new ordinance, the fact that so many people left the job market….
I own a small business and believe me, I know what it takes to get a good employee. I also understand the demands inflation, energy costs.. budgets have on a small business like mine. I also needed 2 people when things finally got back to a semi normal. I got the 2 I needed by raising the salary a bit. Great employees and I’m lucky to have them. It’s a different world now. People saw their worth during the shut down and good for them. The essential employees that they were called realized what they have been doing for years wasn’t worth their time and what they were getting paid. I don’t blame them. Hold out for what you think your worth.
To say Disney couldn’t increase the wages to get to full compliment without Disney suffering, well I guess that’s where we have a disagreement. If any company can do it they can. So they make a few million less in profits .. for the long run it’s worth it. Stockholders and investors may not like it but that’s why things are a mess right now anyway with the changes in the parks.

Vegas Disney Fan

To say Disney couldn’t increase the wages to get to full compliment without Disney suffering, well I guess that’s where we have a disagreement. If any company can do it they can. So they make a few million less in profits .. for the long run it’s worth it. Stockholders and investors may not like it but that’s why things are a mess right now anyway with the changes in the parks.

A lot of companies can’t afford the wages being proposed (demanded) but Disney is definitely not one of them.

Disneys gross profit grew from $5.7 billion in 2009 to $27.5 billion in 2019, a $5 an hour raise for 100,000 full time employees would equal about $1 billion. Even if they had to raise wages $10 an hour to fully staff the parks they’d still be pulling in $20 billion more in profit than a decade ago. I am 100% a capitalist, and think a company has no reason (other than goodwill) to pay more than the market requires, but even I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for an insanely profitable company like Disney not wanting to pay more to get the staff they need.

MrPromey

As I think about it the clamshell grill kind of line up with when the burgers started tasting like total crap... I wonder if it is because the double grill completely squeezes out ever last bit of juice in the patty.

Don't think that's it because they aren't like a George Forman where they just press with the weight of the lid on the meat. They're set for height to not squeeze like that so they have to be adjusted to cook the 10:1, 4:1, and sausage patties separately. Ff you get it wrong, the lid either won't lock down on the frozen meat (because the frozen meat can't be squeezed) if you put 4:1 on a grill set up for 10:1 or you'll be in for a raw on the top surprise for all your 10:1 if you were to put it down on a grill set up for 4:1.

Given the era we'd be talking about, perhaps they were using MSG or some other additive in the seasoning that they stopped? As far as I know, the current mix is a salt/pepper blend, only.

I recall in my day, a manager lamenting how the fries weren't as good because we were cooking in vegetable oil rather than the grease that was used when they'd started.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I guess you should try to better follow the thread before putting words in my mouth.
I just reviewed your comments in this thread, which are not voluminous, and they reinforce my impression on a first read through - you are attempting to handwave away the absence of basic services at a very expensive resort by pointing to other basic services that eventually returned, in most cases well after a reasonable individual would have expected them to do so. The “temporary suspension” we are discussing, by the way, is stretching well into its third year and in most cases the equivalent of the missing services returned to the competition years ago - Universal’s streets are full of character meet n’ greets, despite the fact that they are far less important to Uni guests then they are to WDW guests.

If your basic point is simply that, given a long enough timeframe - say, a decade - most missing elements will return, I don’t see many posters denying that, nor does it seem the relevant issue. If you feel I have missed or mischaracterized one of your posts, please feel free to bring it to my attention.

Casper Gutman

A lot of companies can’t afford the wages being proposed (demanded) but Disney is definitely not one of them.

Disneys gross profit grew from $5.7 billion in 2009 to $27.5 billion in 2019, a $5 an hour raise for 100,000 full time employees would equal about $1 billion. Even if they had to raise wages $10 an hour to fully staff the parks they’d still be pulling in $20 billion more in profit than a decade ago. I am 100% a capitalist, and think a company has no reason (other than goodwill) to pay more than the market requires, but even I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for an insanely profitable company like Disney not wanting to pay more to get the staff they need.
By the way, we all know this understanding of capitalism - that a company’s only duty is to the stockholder, that ignoring the preferences and well-being of the worker and consumer is not only allowable but recommended, and that short-term gains outweigh long-term stability, is relatively new, having solidified in the 70s, and is actually a more radical and extreme version of what even the philosophers and economists who formulated it intended? I mean, I’m a devoted capitalist too, but there’s a universe of nuance in that term that is almost always ignored.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom