News Several character meet and greets to be cut at Walt Disney World as labor shortage continues

CaptainAmerica

Just like the much longer list we can all make of things that have been temporarily suspended over the last few years and have been making announcements of coming back daily.
It's amazing to me how many people who lived through 2020 and 2021 talk about COVID like it was a minor disruption that's now in our distant rear-view.

Ten years from now, someone is going to ask "why is such-and-such this way?" and the answer will still be "because of COVID."

Piebald

Well students have more opportunities now and the past 2 years of limited acess to the parks and crazy prices in Orlando did nothing to help their appeal to students. In the words of my gen Zer its "cheugy" to do the college program.
The college program has always been kind of cheugy though IMO. I mean, there were kids there from fine schools who took it seriously for what it was but it mainly attracted kids from Nowheresville USA who were attending Sourh Harmon Institute of Technology as a chance to....get away. Few undergrads at Duke or UF or Michigan we're gonna be like "yeah hey frat bros I'll see you next semester I'm gonna go sell hot dogs at Casey's Corner"

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
You'd be surprised though. The Moving to Orlando group on Facebook, which is overwhelmingly people obsessed with wanting to live near Disney, is......interesting.
And when the reality that Disney wages won't allow you to live in Orlando easily hits, they'll flee.

It happens so freaking much.

Vegas Disney Fan

You'd be surprised though. The Moving to Orlando group on Facebook, which is overwhelmingly people obsessed with wanting to live near Disney, is......interesting.

I was one of them until Disneys shenanigans with reservations and APs. I’m not going to move to Orlando to be closer to the theme parks If I can’t get into them when I want to go.

Ironically Disneys guest policies cost them an employee.

I’ve planned on being semi-retired in FL and working part time at Disney for a decade but reservations and the uncertainty of APs makes Orlando a much less desirable location for this Disney fan now.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Did someone let USO know about this? They have daily housekeeping at their value resorts. I guess the Disney bubble is true.

Federal wages and benefits vs Disney wages and benefits.

For the same job.

Guess who wins?

Casper Gutman

Just like the much longer list we can all make of things that have been temporarily suspended over the last few years and have been making announcements of coming back daily.
Ah, yes. The fact that WDW is bringing back Fantasmic about a year after they should have totally negates the fact that they don’t offer adequate housekeeping, package delivery, and parking lot trams at two parks.

Tell me, when did they “temporarily suspend” the incredible prices they charge for tickets, since they were offering a diminished product?

It is true, in ten years someone will ask, “Why is there no parking tram at AK,” and somebody on these boards will reply, “There was a pandemic, you fool! Disney is powerless to change anything.”

ToTBellHop

Ah, yes. The fact that WDW is bringing back Fantasmic about a year after they should have totally negates the fact that they don’t offer adequate housekeeping, package delivery, and parking lot trams at two parks.

Tell me, when did they “temporarily suspend” the incredible prices they charge for tickets, since they were offering a diminished product?

It is true, in ten years someone will ask, “Why is there no parking tram at AK,” and somebody on these boards will reply, “There was a pandemic, you fool! Disney is powerless to change anything.”
I take every opportunity presented to say, “you fool!”
1666286996731.gif

1666287013070.gif

1666287028255.gif

1666287062693.gif

DisneyDebRob

The defenders? As in the ones who recognize the labor shortage is a national issue and not a WDW specific one? No, it’s not simple. At least not in the way you want it to be. Putting labor shortage in quotes doesn’t make it a fake problem. I’m sorry to say. As I mentioned previously, I’m dealing with it in my industry as well and throwing money at the problem (not even considering how much operating costs have raised in recent years) isn’t going to make it go away.
Sorry I didn’t respond earlier.. took a half day away from here. But it draws you back.😃
The defenders was meant by anyone that constantly defends this company with whatever they do. Massive price increases? “Well things go up so it’s ok”. Parks a mess and terrible upkeep? “There are man power shortages, come on now”. ( by the way this one has been going on for many years before the pandemic.. first one also) Little things keep disappearing that made the park’s special.. or charging for things that were once free? “ Don’t go if you don’t like what’s happening”. That’s what I mean by defenders.
I put my money where my mouth it. AP holders for 19 years..DCC owner for 21 years..2 trips of 15-18 days a year,30-36 days spent in WDW. I’m the first person to say when they do something right but that’s hasn’t been often lately. I won’t sit idly by and defend them when things are going down the tube.
If “ throwing money” at it like you said won’t help, I think it would. Cast members are underpaid for the most part and with record profits Disney can do it without any worries at all.
Almost ever time I hear of a company having trouble finding workers..and it was almost a nightly news section, the owner almost always says at the end we had to raise salaries to get the workers we need. It can be done they just choose not to do it.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Almost ever time I hear of a company having trouble finding workers..and it was almost a nightly news section, the owner almost always says at the end we had to raise salaries to get the workers we need. It can be done they just choose not to do it.
Hey Disney, When just about everyone else is offering better compensation packages than you are, then you’re doing wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom