Seven Dwarf's Mine Train ride expectations?

TP2000

The 7DMR makes no attempt to tell the Snow White story.
There are two indoor scenes, inside the mine with the dwarfs.

Snow White shows up in a brief cameo in the cottage at the very end.

Well.... there goes that idea.

Barnstormer Plus, here we come! :rolleyes:

Pixiedustmaker

Big Thunder Mountain had only 2 indoor scenes when it opened. Now it's got one.

Expedition Everest had only two indoor scenes when it opened. Now it's got one.

(Not that 7DMT will be anything like BTMRR or EE. Just sayin' that the # of show scenes is not necessarily relevant)

The number of show scenes is relevant when we're talking about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a movie with characters and scenes that guests want to see. EE has good theming, in the queue, and a simple storyline, sort of, but its not like there is a Yeti movie and you were hoping to see your favorite characters and get bummed that all they got is a broken Yeti!

This is part of why people come to the parks, they want to see their characters and relive their favorite stories/movies. A cameo isn't good enough when we've all seen that Disney can do better.

If show scenes don't matter, then replace Peter Pan with a roller coaster where you've got one scene of flying over a model Neverland and then a final scene of Peter Pan waving at you in the end.

Californian Elitist

The number of show scenes is relevant when we're talking about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, a movie with characters and scenes that guests want to see. EE has good theming, in the queue, and a simple storyline, sort of, but its not like there is a Yeti movie and you were hoping to see your favorite characters and get bummed that all they got is a broken Yeti!

This is part of why people come to the parks, they want to see their characters and relive their favorite stories/movies. A cameo isn't good enough when we've all seen that Disney can do better.

If show scenes don't matter, then replace Peter Pan with a roller coaster where you've got one scene of flying over a model Neverland and then a final scene of Peter Pan waving at you in the end.

Exactly. I really do hope the attraction gets more than two show scenes.

Pixiedustmaker

Exactly. I really do hope the attraction gets more than two show scenes.

Me too.

It would be as if Disney announced a "Brave" cart ride through majestically sculpted mountains and then you ride and it and all you see is a single scene in the middle with Mordu fighting a bear, and then at the end Merida waves at you. The complaints would be, where's the twins? Where's the witch? Where's the archery scene? Where's the inside of the castle? Where's the forest with the willow whisps? Where's the transformation scene(s)?

I think a lot of people will feel cheated if they ride 7DC and expect to see traditional scenes of Snow White, and get the Dwarfs and then Snow White waves.

In a way Disney will be up the creek when the movies based on Big Thunder and Matterhorn/EE come out as some people might ride these rides hoping to see some of the storyline.

I think we all know why the scenes were taken out, it is easier to maintain a roller coaster and one or two dwarf scenes, than to put in the seven or so scenes it would be required to make an E-Ticket. Right? I mean it could have been an E-Ticket if they had something like six to eight scenes with favorite moments/environments from the film. Pirates in DL has a couple of drops, big deal, but it an E-Ticket because of the number of scenes, and guests love it!

Californian Elitist

Me too.

It would be as if Disney announced a "Brave" cart ride through majestically sculpted mountains and then you ride and it and all you see is a single scene in the middle with Mordu fighting a bear, and then at the end Merida waves at you. The complaints would be, where's the twins? Where's the witch? Where's the archery scene? Where's the inside of the castle? Where's the forest with the willow whisps? Where's the transformation scene(s)?

I think a lot of people will feel cheated if they ride 7DC and expect to see traditional scenes of Snow White, and get the Dwarfs and then Snow White waves.

In a way Disney will be up the creek when the movies based on Big Thunder and Matterhorn/EE come out as some people might ride these rides hoping to see some of the storyline.

I think we all know why the scenes were taken out, it is easier to maintain a roller coaster and one or two dwarf scenes, than to put in the seven or so scenes it would be required to make an E-Ticket. Right? I mean it could have been an E-Ticket if they had something like six to eight scenes with favorite moments/environments from the film. Pirates in DL has a couple of drops, big deal, but it an E-Ticket because of the number of scenes, and guests love it!

Agreed on all points. People love show scenes! I had high hopes for this attraction but not anymore.:( What makes me even more upset is the fact that they took out the SW dark ride all because they couldn't have two rides from the same movie? What kind of mess is that? DL gets away with this twice in Fantasyland. There's no excuse.

Pixiedustmaker

Agreed on all points. People love show scenes! I had high hopes for this attraction but not anymore.:( What makes me even more upset is the fact that they took out the SW dark ride all because they couldn't have two rides from the same movie? What kind of mess is that? DL gets away with this twice in Fantasyland. There's no excuse.

I think it was a bad move to turn SWSA into a Meet and Greet. To turn it into a new dark ride, all they would need to do is take down the Snow White props, and maybe re-route the track a bit. Then make new ride vehicles and add in props for whatever film, I would like Beauty and the Beast, or even Brave. How much does it cost to do this? They've already got everything they need, space and electricity-wise and such, even a queue. Maybe $30 million? Add on $6 million for Garner Holt to make 3-4 next gen animatronics, right?

Fact of the matter is that in an effort to keep maintenance low, when they add a ride they take out a ride, roughly. LM and 7DC are coming, good-bye Snow White! Its all about accounting and keeping the number of rides low in MK to increase profits. At some point guests are going to go elsewhere.

Disney is spend too much on cruise lines. Of the $6 billion they spend the past couple years, $1.1 billion for DCA 2.0, what for FLE? $600 million? The $3-4 billion rest was spent on a resort in Hawaii and cruise ships. Analysts are saying Disney isn't spending enough on the parks, even with FLE and DCA 2.0. They wasted $200 million on John Carter. If Brave grosses $1 billion worldwide including DVD sales, and another billion in merchandise, can't they spend some of this on the parks?

Californian Elitist

I think it was a bad move to turn SWSA into a Meet and Greet. To turn it into a new dark ride, all they would need to do is take down the Snow White props, and maybe re-route the track a bit. Then make new ride vehicles and add in props for whatever film, I would like Beauty and the Beast, or even Brave. How much does it cost to do this? They've already got everything they need, space and electricity-wise and such, even a queue. Maybe $30 million? Add on $6 million for Garner Holt to make 3-4 next gen animatronics, right?

Fact of the matter is that in an effort to keep maintenance low, when they add a ride they take out a ride, roughly. LM and 7DC are coming, good-bye Snow White! Its all about accounting and keeping the number of rides low in MK to increase profits. At some point guests are going to go elsewhere.

Disney is spend too much on cruise lines. Of the $6 billion they spend the past couple years, $1.1 billion for DCA 2.0, what for FLE? $600 million? The $3-4 billion rest was spent on a resort in Hawaii and cruise ships. Analysts are saying Disney isn't spending enough on the parks, even with FLE and DCA 2.0. They wasted $200 million on John Carter. If Brave grosses $1 billion worldwide including DVD sales, and another billion in merchandise, can't they spend some of this on the parks?

I think that was a mistake too. Hopefully they won't rip out the tracks, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Now there are only two dark rides and in my opinion Fantasyland doesn't suit Winnie the Pooh well, but I'm used to Critter Country.

Apparently they're continuing to spend money on Disneyland. I don't understand why money hasn't been spent at WDW and I think it sucks TDO is lazy. I haven't been to WDW and everytime I come here and ear something negative aout the quality of the resort, it makes me not want to go. I hate that I feel that way, but I do sometimes.

raven

Well, I guess we should give Disney a pat on the back, it will be a new mine car coaster, I mean its not like somebody else in Orlando is planning on building a mine train ride in a new land . . .

With oddly familiar shops . . .

With fabulously detailed mine train cars . . .

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201112/2824/

Which is a hybrid roller coaster and motion simulator in the style of Spiderman with 3-D screens galore

with wind effects, fog, heat, a mysterious bank vault . . . all based on an "ambitious" narrative for this very un-roller coaster ride which may raise the bar for theme parks around the world.

Oh, yeah, Mickey has nothing to worry about . . . aren't E-Tickets too expensive to build? And who would want to visit them?

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/06/harry-potter-opening-day.jpg

7DMCwill be a family attraction. this one isn't. No comparison.

And that's exactly how I remember the HP area (crowded, no one has any sense of direction and most people's heads are down). :p

raven

Maybe the story of the dwarfs, but not Snow White's story.

Let's see....The mine scene (likely with "Whistle While You Work), the second lift (also in the mine, I believe) and the finale at the cottage.

What am I missing besides a couple outdoor vignettes?

SPOILER WARNING

The story starts in the queue and he ride has identicals scenes to the ones in the movie. Lift A - "Whistle While You Work" (the train runs out and around the landscaping and up the lift hill with vutures perched on a branch overhead), "Dig Dig Dig" (1st indoor scene shows the dwarfs working in the mine along with other animals), Lift B - "Heigh-Ho" (Doc calls out to the other dwarfs. Dopey sends us down the "danger" hill unknowingly as he plays with the track switch), Break run - "Silly Song" (Snow White is seen dancing with the dwarfs inside the cottage. Outside are the forest animals washing up in a trough). Guests re-enter the mine to disembark.

Pixiedustmaker

SPOILER WARNING

The story starts in the queue and he ride has identicals scenes to the ones in the movie. Lift A - "Whistle While You Work" (the train runs out and around the landscaping and up the lift hill with vutures perched on a branch overhead), "Dig Dig Dig" (1st indoor scene shows the dwarfs working in the mine along with other animals), Lift B - "Heigh-Ho" (Doc calls out to the other dwarfs. Dopey sends us down the "danger" hill unknowingly as he plays with the track switch), Break run - "Silly Song" (Snow White is seen dancing with the dwarfs inside the cottage. Outside are the forest animals washing up in a trough). Guests re-enter the mine to disembark.

So Snow White doesn't sing "Whistle While you Work" ? I can see them using the instrumental for outdoor music.

At any rate, its not a story with a beginning, a middle and an end. Just a "Day in the Life" of the Dwarfs and Snow White, actually a specific point in the movie. There isn't a plot, tension, conflict, or any of the other things that make a story as when you get off there is the sense that Dwarfs will the next day do the same thing.

The Imagineers hinted the witch would make an appearance, and that the Dwarfs would march on a log overhead outside as you zoom along. Maybe they left out the witch as she scares kids, but you could still have more of a story by utilizing the queen, and other story elements. Such as:

Scene 1: Snow White gets lost in spooky woods, evil Queen watches from a window
Scene 2: Snow White peeking her head over the sheet as the Dwarfs appear
Scene 3: Mine Scene(s)
Scene 4: Snow White Whistle while you work
Scene 5: Snow White dancing with Dwarfs
Scene 6: Snow White offered apple by hand implying the witch.
Scene 6: Snow White finds Prince Charming

I admit that I am very happy they will put in Snow White dancing with the Dwarfs to the "Silly Song", but I will still miss the rest of the story.

raven

Maybe they left out the witch as she scares kids, but you could still have more of a story by utilizing the queen, and other story elements. Such as:

Scene 1: Snow White gets lost in spooky woods, evil Queen watches from a window
Scene 2: Snow White peeking her head over the sheet as the Dwarfs appear
Scene 3: Mine Scene(s)
Scene 4: Snow White Whistle while you work
Scene 5: Snow White dancing with Dwarfs
Scene 6: Snow White offered apple by hand implying the witch.
Scene 6: Snow White finds Prince Charming

I admit that I am very happy they will put in Snow White dancing with the Dwarfs to the "Silly Song", but I will still miss the rest of the story.

This isn't a Snow White attraction.

Beholder

What I expect and what I experience may be two different things, but I've imagined something along the scope of Peter Pan, just longer (I hope). I'm not talking about the scenes per say, but the physical aspects of the "unique" track systems and the level of "thrill". I never expected an E ticket, but a showcase piece like this representing such a key aspect of Walt Disney and the company as a whole should be exemplary it's execution. A high level of detail and an immersive experience is what I enjoy, regardless of it's level (E, D, C, etc.) or subject matter.

rioriz

This isn't a Snow White attraction.

I think that is what is confusing people....this is a different bird from SWSA...this attraction is all about the dwarfs not snow white...

And lets not start comparing this to the new Potter ride...that is a whole nother animal!

CinematicFusion

From the outside, it looks like a beautiful ride with emmersive theming. We will just have to wait and ride it. It is what it is at this point. I still believe they wouldn't build a ride they didn't love themselves.
I agree, I don't care if it's a c or e ticket. Just deliver a wonderful experience.
Peter pan isn't a e ticket...but it's a wonderful family ride.

What I've heard is...
1. Snow white is at the end dancing with the dwarfs. Not sure if we go inside the cottage or the train is on the outside looking in.
2. Witch is likely to appear somewhere. Maybe in the ride, maybe in the queue. I'm thinking in the queue.
3. A scene where the dwarfs are singing hi ho walking over a log next to a waterfall. Remembering hearing the train is supposed to go under the log and we see the dwarfs. Is this animatronic? Animated shadows of the dwarfs? Was it taken out of the ride and is now in the queue? Was it cut entirely?
4. Of course the scene with the dwarfs working in the mine. I'm sure that scene will be great.

Ride has the potential to be a wonderful ride. They are building it at two Disney parks. They must like it.

CinematicFusion

Like everyone has said, this isn't about the story of snow white. The theming is about going to work at the mines. Point of view of the dwarfs inside the world of snow white. You can get a lot of emotional pull from the dwarfs.

Beholder

Who knows, this may turn out to be an interesting take from a point of view (the dwarfs) that hasn't been considered before. Sort of fleshing out part of the narrative into something truly enjoyable. However, I do like my stories with a linear feel to them, not a "snap-shot". Time will tell I guess, but I'm hopeful.

Pixiedustmaker

Who knows, this may turn out to be an interesting take from a point of view (the dwarfs) that hasn't been considered before. Sort of fleshing out part of the narrative into something truly enjoyable. However, I do like my stories with a linear feel to them, not a "snap-shot". Time will tell I guess, but I'm hopeful.

I agree, I like it when you have a story that progresses from one scene to the next. Splash mountain has a story to tell, and it adds some tension to what would just be a flume ride.

I think it is ok to tell the story from the point of view of the dwarfs, but most of the ride is outside, and while it looks good in concept art, most of what you'll see will be the new Fantasyland, Mermaid, the Circus area, the beast's castle, . . . you might not have that feeling that you're entering a world/realm, and the scene with the dwarfs might be easily forgotten.

Pixiedustmaker

Like everyone has said, this isn't about the story of snow white. The theming is about going to work at the mines. Point of view of the dwarfs inside the world of snow white. You can get a lot of emotional pull from the dwarfs.

I read online on Jim Hill that the Seven Dwarfs coaster was originally designed for a Phase 2 of Disneyland Paris, meaning that if added to this park, it would have two Snow White rides, the classic dark rides and a roller coaster. Meaning that both rides would have complemented each other, and would have been different, i.e. "Snow White's Scary Adventure", and a "Seven Dwarfs Mine car ride".

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...n-on-wdw-s-fantasyland-expansion-project.aspx

Given that Disney closed SWSA in Orlando, does it make sense to build the Seven dwarf mine car ride and add an homage scene for Snow White and try to fit in the witch somewhere, as this ride was meant to complement the Snow White ride already there?

I think the Imagineers should have looked closely at this and decided whether just showing the dwarfs with a Snow White homage was a good idea as the ride wasn't originally intended to be put into a park without a traditional Snow White dark ride.

The could have salvaged the ride, IMHO, by adding more dark ride scenes telling a story. Even if told from the Seven Dwarfs point of view, there are a lot of scene they could have added to really make it about something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom