Seriously... Thats It???

wannab@dis

At least I caught it before anyone else did!
:lol:

I probably won't get a chance to take advantage of the give-a-ways... but I bet there will be lots that plan B-day getaways for their kids, etc. I'm happy they will get a little something extra. You'll still get the Birthday Button! :D

PintoColvig

:lol:

I probably won't get a chance to take advantage of the give-a-ways... but I bet there will be lots that plan B-day getaways for their kids, etc. I'm happy they will get a little something extra. You'll still get the Birthday Button! :D
True. But are you "allowed" to get one when it's not your birthday? :lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
Does that include the refurbs we've been waiting with baited breath for? (JIYI, Space Mountain, Star Tours 2.0, Jungle Cruise). Is there also no likelihood of any of them before 2011-12?

Refurbs will happen as scheduled and at least one new attraction for MK will begin construction in preparation for the 40th.
That 2011-2012 date is for attractions being open/refurbs being finished, not when they will start.

Foolish1

Woo-hoo! My whole family has their birthday within 8 days of each other.
Let's see, 5 times $75 comes out to... (5280 feet in a mile, 16 ounces
in a pound, e=mc2) carry the two, scratch that, carry the seven,
darn it, where is that calculator again??

Gee, $375 in gift cards should be nice. But it also won't convince me to go at that time of the year to get a few gift cards either.

Personally, I think the whole idea of having a yearly campaign is ridiculous. They become pointless when you realize there is always one going on. Why not just have these campaigns when there is a reason to in the first place?
Then they truly have some meaning. Anniversary years make sense. And Walt's 100th birthday made some sense. But why more than that? I realize a bean counter is somewhere having a heart attack from reading this now, though.

PintoColvig

Woo-hoo! My whole family has their birthday within 8 days of each other.
Let's see, 5 times $75 comes out to... (5280 feet in a mile, 16 ounces
in a pound, e=mc2) carry the two, scratch that, carry the seven,
darn it, where is that calculator again??

Gee, $375 in gift cards should be nice. But it also won't convince me to go at that time of the year to get a few gift cards either.

Personally, I think the whole idea of having a yearly campaign is ridiculous. They become pointless when you realize there is always one going on. Why not just have these campaigns when there is a reason to in the first place?
Then they truly have some meaning. Anniversary years make sense. And Walt's 100th birthday made some sense. But why more than that? I realize a bean counter is somewhere having a heart attack from reading this now, though.
If the bean counter has a heart attack it's probably because he or she just realized that if you time your trip right they will be out $375! Somebody's head will roll!!--->:ROFLOL:

SirGoofy

Refurbs will happen as scheduled and at least one new attraction for MK will begin construction in preparation for the 40th.
That 2011-2012 date is for attractions being open/refurbs being finished, not when they will start.

Thanks, Lee. I was worried we weren't gonna get our sparkly new-old rides.

imagineer boy

I agree 100%. What I think Disney should do instead of having yearly "celebrations" how about several celebrations in one year that center around holidays like Christmas, Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc., and have small special events like Tokyo Disneyland does like Summer Time Cool, Princess Days, Disney Kids summer adventure, Disney a la Carte, etc. I know WDW celebrates some of these already, but celebrate it more like bring in seasonal parades for those holidays, more special decorations, new seasonal shows, and so much more.

Austin1

Whats the need for a 40th. celebration and new rides? People are gonna come to WDW anyway so theres no need to build anything.

No offense, but you obviously don't know too much about marketing. Yes, people are you going to continue to come to Disney World, but if it wasn't for the marketing team, I seriously doubt that half of Disney's visitors would ever come.

The constant change and "plussing",if you will, is necessary if you want return customers; and how would Disney get first time customers at all if it wasn't for promo events that let people know what they have to offer?

I see your point that the parks and resorts are a bit of a cash cow, meaning that they don't have to do much to keep the bringing in the bucks, but there is no way in the world attendance or DVC memembers will continue to increase without upgrades or initial promo/ad events.

Feel free to disagree.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
So, long time lurker, first time poster here with my .02 on the new celebration.

I think Disney is doing nothing but thinking about the downturn in our economy. People have already been reporting lower crowds in the parks lately. This new campaign seems to be designed to bring more local Orlando area people (DL's visitors are already made up of mostly locals) out to the parks. Since they are right there, it's easy, and saves them some money.

They probably figure that people like us (My DW and I will be making our 3rd trip this year in a month for Food & Wine), will come anyway, and don't really need a "celebration" to make the trip.

Just some food for thought.

:)

PintoColvig

No offense, but you obviously don't know too much about marketing. Yes, people are you going to continue to come to Disney World, but if it wasn't for the marketing team, I seriously doubt that half of Disney's visitors would ever come.

The constant change and "plussing",if you will, is necessary if you want return customers; and how would Disney get first time customers at all if it wasn't for promo events that let people know what they have to offer?

I see your point that the parks and resorts are a bit of a cash cow, meaning that they don't have to do much to keep the bringing in the bucks, but there is no way in the world attendance or DVC memembers will continue to increase without upgrades or initial promo/ad events.

Feel free to disagree.
What you say is true. Before Eisner-Wells came in back in the 80s, there was very little done by way of marketing. They were all about free publicity and loathed paying for advertising. After the leadership change, they began to sink serious cash into marketing and it had a huge impact on attendance.

EPCOT Explorer

So, long time lurker, first time poster here with my .02 on the new celebration.

I think Disney is doing nothing but thinking about the downturn in our economy. People have already been reporting lower crowds in the parks lately. This new campaign seems to be designed to bring more local Orlando area people (DL's visitors are already made up of mostly locals) out to the parks. Since they are right there, it's easy, and saves them some money.

They probably figure that people like us (My DW and I will be making our 3rd trip this year in a month for Food & Wine), will come anyway, and don't really need a "celebration" to make the trip.

Just some food for thought.

:)

Great day to start posting!

I thought most of the same thoughts...This is a perfect way to appeal to the Econ crisis.

Welcome aboard!:wave:

TrojanUSC

So let me understand this correctly... I'm not one to complain but seriously... All Jay had to announce was a new celebration??? and some new street party stuff. I am so disappointed... Please tell me that I missed something, please tell me that I accidentally fell asleep and during my slumber he announced something that someone would actually care about. Disney Disney, oh where have you gone?

Having worked in Strategic Communications which plans these things, let me tell you that these events are NOT planned for Disney fans like you. These events are planned so they can wine and dine the media for three days to get a bunch of free exposure. Thus, getting millions of viewers/readers thinking about a trip to Disney. That is it.

One or two new attractions at a park would do no good at generating sustained worldwide media exposure -- which is the goal of these events.

djkidkaz

Anyone traveling to WDW is going to buy a park ticket for a week anyway. What does it cost to add a day, like $3? This is only going to benefit the locals, not someone who has to buy a numerous day park ticket.

"Yay its my bday the week we are going so I only had to buy a 4 day park hopper instead of a 5 day park hopper. I saved $3!"

It looks like the merchandise credit is only for those who have an AP.

I don't get it. :shrug:

JWG

This is a great promotion. It creates the advertising theme Disney needs for the bridge to 2011 and the 40th. It does what is required for good marketing - gives direction/guidance and parameters.

The free entry into the park draws the locals who they need to replace the vacationers who can't afford to do because of the economy.

And, if you're an AP or multi-day ticket holder, you get your choice of fastpasses (not bad in July), a $75 merchandise voucher/gift card or a 1-day base ticket good for the next 12 months instead. Just for showing up and showing your ID. That's not a bad deal at all.

Who gives anything away for free now a days? I happen to be going on my birthday, so may very well take the voucher for our souveneir purchases. Or, I may choose not to park hop and take the free ticket. I'm not sure.

Whatever you feel, this is a somewhat toned down approach to marketing and the free entry appeals to the right crowd they need to draw in. As mentioned by a previous poster, it gets a local in the park to buy food and merchandise (and pay for parking).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom